• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey review thread

Wow, this suddenly changed from an easy pass to a day one purchase for me.

Between the awesome PC Performance Thread impressions, the great reviews showing up, and the ability to buy the game for $33, I'm in. Can't wait to get home to give it a shot!

You mean like Breath of the Wild.
98f.png

Wanderer5

Glad this is turning out great so far, and that the PC version seems to be fine too. Just got the gift card money to get this game for my birthday today, so bought!

mindatlarge

These early reviews are impressive. I was on the fence if this game would pan out...even considering the stellar team behind it. Looks like they got it right.

Guevara

Well I'm pleasantly surprised. I preordered basically because they said BIOSHOCK and because Amazon's Prime deal made the game only $47.99

pa22word

I mean...considering the thread we are in I consider this fair game:

Like cliffyB once said of oblivion: "I played it a bit then it hit me: oh whatever this is just ultima underworld all over again"

I have never felt the same way about another game as I have of BotW. Like, everything this game was praised for I enjoyed multiple years ago in UU. The map system, while I saw some people get really excited over it just reminded me of the ultimate map design in UU: Label your own maps!...only UU came out in like 1993 and not 2017 and featured a better system for maps than BotW did >.<

I really enjoyed BotW for the most part, but in a ton of ways it just felt like a 10 year late catch up to what other games in the western sphere had been doing forever and ever ago.

Shocked - I want impressed by the demo but definitely love Arkansas. I'll wait for some other opinions but can't wait to check it out.

Like cliffyB once said of oblivion: "I played it a bit then it hit me: oh whatever this is just ultima underworld all over again"

I have never felt the same way about another game as I have of BotW. Like, everything this game was praised for I enjoyed multiple years ago in UU. The map system, while I saw some people get really excited over it just reminded me of the ultimate map design in UU: Label your own maps!...only UU came out in like 1993 and not 2017 and featured a better system for maps than BotW did >.<

I really enjoyed BotW for the most part, but in a ton of ways it just felt like a 10 year late catch up to what other games in the western sphere had been doing forever and ever ago.

But this is a Prey review thread?

MisterR

I really, really like BotW, but lets face it, Nintendo frequently gets heavy praise for just catching up to where the rest of gaming has been for a long time.

Mattenth

I'll never understand why people can't wait two extra days to judge/plan a purchase for a game they've already waited 2-5 years for

Because there's something fun and special about being a part of the first wave of gamers to experience a game.

Why do people slog to midnight movies when they could wait 18 hours and not ruin their Friday?

Blueingreen

Infinite wasn't a good game imo. It wasn't a good Bioshock. Although it had some nice story elements.

It really wasn't a good shooter, taking Bioshock 1 weak gunplay that was masked by tight corridors and small rooms and placing them Infinite's wide open arenas was a baffling design flaw.

Gurish

If the MC will continue to be so high than Bethesda definitely made a mistake here with their policy.

Aren't most of their games this gen besides the big and obvious hits (Fallout 4) sell pretty poorly or no more than OK? maybe they should think about changing that strategy cause most of the time the games are getting great reviews that could only help the hype and sells.

faridmon

I really, really like BotW, but lets face it, Nintendo frequently gets heavy praise for just catching up to where the rest of gaming has been for a long time.

WTF am I reading?

This sounds very petty. ''Game I don't like as much as other people and here I am calling it what I think it is''

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

lol

1. Does it really annoy you when other people like a game very much?
2. Why do you continue to derail this thread?

mindsale

It really wasn't a good shooter, taking Bioshock 1 weak gunplay that was masked by tight corridors and small rooms and placing them Infinite's wide open arenas was a baffling design flaw.

This is true to some extent - but Vigors have extremely generous hitboxes and guns have a much greater emphasis on long- and midrange combat. There weren't sniper rifles or carbines or assault rifles in BioShock.

Gator86

Why the fuck are there so many posts about BotW here?

On topic: I'm glad this is reviewing well/seems good. I'm excited to play it and you can never have enough good stuff happening in this genre.

Flipyap

This was the first demo I turned off because it was actively annoying me.
I didn't like the game at all.
What did you find so annoying?
Besides the combat music. That shit is so ill-fitting, it feels like Mick Gordon actively tried to sabotage this game.

Amir0x

Banned
That's the consumers fault they are impatient though. I don't care for the policy either, because a good game is a good game and letting reviewers wait is a bit silly in the grand scheme. However, our instant-gratification consumer perspective is silly as well. Two days post-launch is nothing.
People are acting like Bethesda is shoving PTW mechanics inside the game.

No one is forcing to preorder and pick up on launch day. If the consumers can't wait, then why should Bethesda change their policy? Not you, but people are blaming the company like there is a gun to their head telling them to pick it up NOW OR ELSE.

Again, notice how everything here is not an argument that Bethesda's policy is good. In no way does it benefit the consumer. It only benefits them. And it is detrimental to the convenience of some consumers who choose to buy games a certain way.

This is the definition of anti-consumer. They don't have to do it, but they do it anyway despite inconveniencing consumers. And they do it only because they think it'll help their bottom line. Whether it is a "major" inconvenience or a "minor" one, it's irrelevant. They don't have to behave that way at all!

Corporations are not your friends or family. They do not give a fuck about you. As such, there's no reason to defend daft decisions that have no rhyme or reason behind them other than to benefit the company alone.

After the demo, yeah, I'm surprised. But then again I think Bioshock 1 is vastly overrated and I've played much better immersive sims than it so I dunno if I should take critics at face value for this game/genre. Granted, it is a nice sign for everyone else.

pa22word

lol

1. Does it really annoy you when other people like a game very much?
2. Why do you continue to derail this thread?

1. I love BotW, why? It reminds me of a poor man's UU, and so fucking what? Ultima Underworld is one of the most influential and, imo, probably one of the greatest examples of a video game ever to be released. Being compared negatively to it is no negative comparison; I consider most titles to be at least negatively compared to UU. BotW is one of the most comparative games, which is in part why I love it.

YNRWg.gif

Been doing nothing but talk about prey and its ancestry here bro.

zeeaykay

Do the reviews say if the jump scares / loud music cues ever lessen? I really enjoyed the first half of the demo, but then every room the jump scares cues go off because of a mimic and it's impossible to get into any kind of rhythm. I'm sure that's probably the point but it got super grating on me and it killed my excitement.

fantomena

I don't like their review policy, however, the solution if they don't change their policy is very simple: don't pre-order. Games doesn't stop being sold after release. If you JUST have to pre-order for some pre-order goodies, maybe you should rethink.

Amir0x

Banned
I just hope the enemies get more menacing/creative. They seem kind of... unimaginative? I've only watched a few gameplay loops, so I am probably missing a lot but I hope they expand beyond like black shadow sludge creatures and the like. They just don't seem like they had as much love put into it as the rest of the game.

fantomena said:
I don't like their review policy, however, the solution if they don't change their policy is very simple: don't pre-order. Games doesn't stop being sold after release. If you JUST have to pre-order for some pre-order goodies, maybe you should rethink.

I agree, don't pre-order. But I'm a consumer, so my focus is on trying to prevent corporations from doing anti-consumer things, rather than trying to limit consumer buying behavior or patterns or whatever.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can't wait for my copy to arrive in the mail. I remember getting the original and sitting outside wondering about what it would be like to be abducted by aliens.

I haven't known a whole lot about this game except the Shock talk and how cool the aesthetics are. I'm excited. It's great the reviews are spot on. If it's good, who really cares if it's like Shock. It's not like we get games like that every year.

I was skeptical about enemies too, but then again it was easy to ignore all the footage of this game.

TheGrizz

I'm really hoping this games has a Dead Space feel to it, in regards to sound and atmosphere. The feeling of being isolated from human contact and the feeling of dread. I went ahead and ordered my copy to pick up at Best Buy. Can't wait!

Timeaisis

Wow, this thread is off to a good start.

Can we not talk about BotW in the Prey review thread? Yes, BotW is great. Go talk about that in the BotW OT.

This thread is about Prey.

And furthermore, not sending out review copies to reviewers is no anti-consumer, it's anti-reviewer. It's their choice and we as paying costumers have to wait an extra day or two to see reviews if we are on the fence. So what.

On topic, any word on the stamina mechanics in this? I hear they are a tad annoying, but I'm not sure exactly what they apply to. I'm trying to keep myself pretty blacked out on videos and such, as to keep the experience fresh, as I feel these games have the most to offer from surprises.

pa22word

Any talk about how compelling (or not) the story is? Can't watch reviews at work.

Considering your avatar, I wouldn't expect much. Every narrative twirl they've thrown my way has been caught and tossed aside like a little league infielder. The Grand Twist I consider will probably be either one of two things considering the setup, and neither are very complementary to the narrative if they follow through with it in the end. I want to believe, but it seems they followed the I<3SS2 narrative a little hard thus far. Hope I'm wrong, but it's either going that way or explicitly not that way for the sake of people who played BS1 and SS2.

Be in this one for the systems.

C.Mongler

Those are some spicy scores, happy this game turned out well. Sucks that I have no time for this right now though, I just picked up Mario Kart 8 D and Puyo Puyo on my Switch which I'm still wholly enjoying, I need to hop back into Persona 5 for another 80 hours, and Nier and Yakuza 0 are literally still in their shrink-wrap; gonna have to sit this one out until a good sale at the very least :(

Jake2by4

I'm really hoping this games has a Dead Space feel to it, in regards to sound and atmosphere. The feeling of being isolated from human contact and the feeling of dread. I went ahead and ordered my copy to pick up at Best Buy. Can't wait!

Don't forget to pick up this too

PREY-STEELBOOK.jpg

I just hope the enemies get more menacing/creative. They seem kind of... unimaginative? I've only watched a few gameplay loops, so I am probably missing a lot but I hope they expand beyond like black shadow sludge creatures and the like. They just don't seem like they had as much love put into it as the rest of the game

I do think the monsters (at least the earlier ones) are a bit too visually similar; however, the way encounters play out between different types of monsters are a lot more varied than casual gameplay videos would suggest. The mimics are mostly there to keep you on your toes when exploring, but engaging the other types require different planning and tactics--I won't spoil them, but combat stays interesting despite all the black blobs.

Top Bottom