• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

hesido

I was watching this german guy's ps4 twitch stream (who was refusing to drive anything but the merc SLS AMG) over the weekend and saw these nasty ghosting, so not sure if it was a twitch thing or what:

sEI7QlV.jpg

ZR3yKQ1.jpg

It is not a twich thing.

For the PS4 version, anything that moves more than a single pixel creates a ghost version of itself, because all frames consist of two renders, final render buffer is blended with the previous buffer. I'm hoping it's not a design decision and just a bug. I also find AA and AF comparisons hilarious, because whatever high quality filtering or AA it may have, it's basically blurring everything in motion. Because the blended frames appear twice, in motion it has a similar image quality to that of gaming on a very old lcd with high response time.

Helznicht

It is not a twich thing.

For the PS4 version, anything that moves more than a single pixel creates a ghost version of itself, because all frames consist of two renders, final render buffer is blended with the previous buffer. I'm hoping it's not a design decision and just a bug. I also find AA and AF comparisons hilarious, because whatever high quality filtering or AA it may have, it's basically blurring everything in motion. Because the blended frames appear twice, in motion it has a similar image quality to that of gaming on a very old lcd with high response time.

Way outta left field, but could this be the frame blending that was mentioned in the Sony Morpheous presentation to make 60 fps feel like 120 when in VR? This is going to support the headset in the future right?

sourc3d

I keep seeing these blurry images posted and not sure what its showing, is it just something which is evident in massively slowed down footage?

On the demo pod I saw in store today, and in twitch streams/yt vids of gameplay I don't see anything like this, the game looks clean and smooth to my eyes.

Newlove

I can't wait until later in the week, great launch trailer. I think this game is going to take many people off guard in the reviews - in a good way.

Chabbles

I was watching this german guy's ps4 twitch stream (who was refusing to drive anything but the merc SLS AMG) over the weekend and saw these nasty ghosting, so not sure if it was a twitch thing or what:

sEI7QlV.jpg

ZR3yKQ1.jpg

Theres an article linked on the top of n4g about some motionblur bug or something.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Damn I just missed out by a week or so to get a full refund since I wanted to get it on XB1 and use the remainder of cash for Witcher 3 and Wolfenstein. I'll just have to leave it now and go with the PC copy.

hesido

Way outta left field, but could this be the frame blending that was mentioned in the Sony Morpheous presentation to make 60 fps feel like 120 when in VR? This is going to support the headset in the future right?

Doesn't seem like that is the case here. That technique is about extrapolation of intermediary frames based on updated head position / orientation between two frames, this just seems like a bug that constantly blends frames.

Theres an article linked on the top of n4g about some motionblur bug or something.

It's based on this thread and images I have provided.

Why do all the cars have to drive like they are on ice? That myth has been smashed many a time: that's how GT3/DTM cars are. WEC is plenty exciting and all the prototypes stick to the road like glue and still manage incredibly close racing.

Because... reasons?

I think it's a belief which has been propagated by iRacing from my experence. People are incredibly evangelical about that game.

Yes, this sucks. iRacing players in general are the worst because they ended up paying an absurd amount of money to be able to play it, then they are nickle and dimes to death on cars and tracks and they basically have to justify their purchase saying "you get what you pay for". Sure, ok.

There´s nothing revolutionary about iRacing anymore, yes five years ago it was innovative and stuff, but other sims have surpassed and yet people keep praising like it´s the second coming of Jesus.

I´m not surprised by empty box. He has some good videos, but mostly he overly negative about everything that isn´t his favorite sim.

In three days we all be the judges and can see who´s right and who´s wrong about this game.

Putty

I think Chris Harris is the most quoted person saying something akin to, paraphrasing here btw: It's bloody easy to drive, but the challenge comes from getting the tenths out of the car under race conditions. Without pushing it over the limit and losing time in a slide. Anyway I'm driving this wildly off topic sorry.

Driveclub? ;p

lol. Huge lover of DC but i'm in the market for a good sim to sit along side.

I watched streams all weekend.

1) I am worried about how the Xbox one controller is going to be using this game. I keep hearing its overly sensitive.
2) I am worried about the graphics.
3) I am worried that it may be too complicated for me. (Settings, Sim)
4) The steering wheel twitchiness is really distracting. (using in car cam.)

That said I am going to support this game. Just not on my PS4 because I don't have Plus with it.

hesido

I keep seeing these blurry images posted and not sure what its showing, is it just something which is evident in massively slowed down footage?

On the demo pod I saw in store today, and in twitch streams/yt vids of gameplay I don't see anything like this, the game looks clean and smooth to my eyes.

It is evident in still shots, massively slowed down footage, slightly slowed down footage, 30fps captures played at 30fps, 60fps captures played at 60fps.

But I think I'm the only god damned person to notice so yeah, it's not a problem.

Just checked a twitch stream, yeah it's there:
JdjBaSp.png

danowat

Banned

1) I am worried about how the Xbox one controller is going to be using this game. I keep hearing its overly sensitive.

That said I am going to support this game. Just not on my PS4 because I don't have Plus with it.

I was a little concerned about the controller, but was watching inragetv today driving the LMP cars on Brno, and that put my mind at rest, it appeared that he had gotten much better at driving with the pad, or tweaked some settings.

I also think the steering wheel on the incar view makes it look worse, other games soften or reduce the amount of wheel movement, where as PCars appears to be WYSIWYG.

I believe you can remove the wheel from incar view, so that may help.

cackhyena

I posted a new vid from VVV on the XB1 version on the last page.

caramac

Looking forward to Friday, pre ordered my copy on Amazon UK (XBone)

Debating if its worth shelling out £220+ on a Thrustmaster TX. My youngest son loves the F1 series and with Forza 6 later in the year l might just go for it.

Helznicht

Hi, new video of the series 'Real Cam Effect' with Project CARS. The video is recorded as if the driver take the camera on the upper side of helmet, is a lap at Laguna Seca with the Ariel Atom 500 V8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLJgwD28_4

Regards!

Yeah, so much better. Most cockpit views make you feel like 10 year old trying to see over the dash. I have been worried that I would not be able to find a realistic perspective even with the helm cam. Is this the helm cam with the helmut off?

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, so much better. Most cockpit views make you feel like 10 year old trying to see over the dash. I have been worried that I would not be able to find a realistic perspective even with the helm cam. Is this the helm cam with the helmut off?
Assuming the feature is still there, you're able to move your viewpoint in PCARS, as if you are adjusting your seat inside the vehicle.

Assuming the feature is still there, you're able to move your viewpoint in PCARS, as if you are adjusting your seat inside the vehicle.

It's still there in the final PC build. CTRL+K to activate, then you can use the numpad directional keys, WASD, Q and E to change the angle. No idea how any of that would work on console outside of a settings menu with sliders.

_machine

Yeah at least on PC you can still adjust the seat position as well as FOV in-game, and on consoles you can adjust them in the settings menu. I really like a wider view since it feels more natural, even though it might bit a bit disadvantageous not to see the front so well.

E: Ninja'd by TheAdmiester, but yeah the option is in console versions through the settings menu.

danowat

Banned
It's still there in the final PC build. CTRL+K to activate, then you can use the numpad directional keys, WASD, Q and E to change the angle. No idea how any of that would work on console outside of a settings menu with sliders.

Can anyone confirm this is possible in the console versions?

Megasoum

Banned
Can you preload yet on PC?

No but it's coming. They announced on the forums this morning that in order to enable pre-load they have to luck us (the team members) out of the game until release so they are working on it but no specific date yet.

Top Bottom