• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

So I took the game for a spin last night on PC. Runs great and looks amazing on Ultra. I do get a few fps hit during a storm but short of the fps counter showing slightly under 60 I don't feel a difference in the game.

The interiors of some of the cars are super dark but that's what I imagine they really look like. I love racing in an F1 car with the helmet cam. As far as the feel I am coming from Assetto Corsa and I have to say I prefer Project Cars. Assetto Corsa doesn't feel right to me. I think P Cars is made more for a controller like how I am playing. I don't currently own a wheel anymore so that may be it.

I am kinda bummed about the progression missing from the game and not having to unlock things but from a straight racing stand point I love it.

SmokyDave

Considering the many, many niggles, performance issues, bugs, quirks, silly UI and baffling design decisions in pCARS it's amazing that this game gives me such a mile-wide grin every time I play it. It's the game Shift could have been five years ago before EA started jamming their shitty sticks into the mix and fucking up the physics. Perhaps its faults are deliberate to stop me exploding with pleasure every time I strap myself in? Loving it. Loving it.

Got any plans to build a cockpit to complement your PC Uber Rig..?

DO IT.
Pretty much. Any niggles or quirks soon disappear when you're lapping Cadwell at 2am in the pouring rain. I don't even care that my V8 Atom spends most of the lap facing backwards.

Goddamn I love this game. I can tell that it's going to be my racer of choice for a long, long time.

Edit, although, I am finding the lack of feedback through the wheel mixed with the inaudible tyres make it difficult to judge when I'm on the edge of adhesion. I'll delve into the options to sort that later though.

danowat

Banned
Pretty much. Any niggles or quirks soon disappear when you're lapping Cadwell at 2am in the pouring rain. I don't even care that my V8 Atom spends most of the lap facing backwards.

Goddamn I love this game. I can tell that it's going to be my racer of choice for a long, long time.

Agree, the meat and potatoes of the game are great, but the gravy needs work!!.

I dread to think what it would have been had it been released when it was originally supposed to without the delays......

caramac

In time trails mode are the car settings, weather etc locked?.

Just done a few laps around brno in a Formula C car, came out of the game and tried to adjust the sun glare etc, then went back into the game but nothing had changed.

Damn that sun, :p makes judging your turning in point super difficult, but l'm fine with that if its the same for everyone.

saladine1

I know it's early days but has there been any info regarding patches and other stuff?

Also, what's the grayed out 'coming soon' section in the menus?

_machine

Loving the career so far; I just got into the Clio Cup and I loved that thing on Donington. I really like how I'm having a lot of trouble on cold tires (I can't help but to push too hard through the fast corner), but then slowly as you gain some heat the car transforms into something extremely polite and comfortable. I especially love chucking the car through Esses once you have a bit of heat in tires and made a ballsy overtake there.

The AI too has been super fun so far too and I have had a few scuffles so far, but all would were my fault. It feels very humane, even though I have seen it go off easily at few places, but I'm not running it at a very high level.

So far my main niggles have been about some off-putting UI aspects and design and the fact that I feel like the race weekends could use a bit of more atmosphere, especially through the UI interaction. All in all, so far having really playing the career for the first time I'm even more in love with the game, even after a 3 1/2 year relationship :)

I know it's early days but has there been any info regarding patches and other stuff?
Nothing in specific yet I believe (aside from AMD currently working on the driver issue), just that the acknowledged plenty of issues and are working on patches.

danowat

Banned
In time trails mode are the car settings, weather etc locked?.

Just done a few laps around brno in a Formula C car, came out of the game and tried to adjust the sun glare etc, then went back into the game but nothing had changed.

Damn that sun, :p makes judging your turning in point super difficult, but l'm fine with that if its the same for everyone.

Yes, everything is locked TT mode, as well as community events.

After a bit more testing at basically default FFB settings on G27 (100 strength and 100 tire force, no other changes except for 0.18 for deadzone reduction which is the optimum setting for G27s) nothing is inherently wrong with the FFB except for the fact that completely misses giving any info about the grip level of the front tyres.

I noticed this especially during the SLS GT3 online time trial event at Brands Hatch. To get through turns here in an understeery car you need to generate oversteer by braking hard and early and turn in sharply, as the mandatary ABS on GT3 cars eliminates lockups.

However on turn in the wheel keeps the same sort of feel even at the edge of grip. There's no vibration or countersteer feel at all like there is basically any other sim. This also seems to apply with longitudinal grip, as late heavy braking in pCARS tends to turn into sudden oversteer and a complete loss of grip with the wheel feeling lifeless throughout.

Maybe the recommendations to changes in the FFB might give me back some feel for front end grip, but these changes are likely to cause the FFB to clip due to the increased master scale (my settings now already introduce very slight clipping) and too much clipping means you lose the slighter nuanced effects of the FFB, in particular road surface bumps and kerbs. Finding the balance will be a tough process.

Yeah, similar to my experience as posted earlier. The per car force feedback settings are interesting, and upping the default value on there from 26 to 60-70 helps a lot for most cars, but the feedback on touching curbs and such is still far too low to my taste compared to the very clear audio noise you get, and since it is all so customiseable, then why can't I crank that up to my taste where I can do that for everything else basically?

It is made far worse though by the flawed mixing of the sound of the tires when they loose grip, whether through sliding sideways or breaking. It's there if you listen really, really carefully, but it's too soft and you can't do anything about it right now.

Game has promise, but right now I have some trouble enjoying it.

ValfarHL

SMS, I hope the reason you're not posting anymore is that you're hard at work with those patches!

Even with the quibbles though, I freakin' love your game!

LilJoka

These settings are useless becasue he doesn't mention what controller mode he is using. It is very important as it changes a bunch of other settings not available in the release version of the game.

My settings for Xbox 360 controller on PC.

Mode 2 (make sure you change this first)
Steering sensitivity 5
Steering deadzone 13
Throttle sensitivity 20
Gamepad filtering 100
Speed sensitivity 60

Advanced settings On
Soft steering Dampening On

Leave everything else at default.

All cars should be pretty drivable with these.

These settings are good!

I have the issue that I can't get enough steering lock on at mid speed corners like T1 silver stone national without reducing speed sensitivity a lot. That means it's twitchy as hell on the straights and sweepers. They need some sort of Gamma setting like AC.

Spookie

Still looking for Fanatec CSR settings. Gonna be playing Dota 2 tonight if I can't find any. CBA loosing another 45 minutes of my night. :/

50" Toshiba, but its a 1080p screen so I run 1920x810 to get the 21:9 aspect ratio. I would say I sit about 6 feet away on the couch.
If you really want to use the correct FOV, you're sitting too far away. With your current layout the correct value is probably about 40 degrees.

xrnzaaas

Finally got the game. First impressions are very positive. It's demanding and at this point I can't see how I can win races in rain without traction control. ;p So far I had a few races in Donington Park and they reminded me how I missed this track in other racing games. :)

As for the ghosting, maybe it's my short sightedness or my TV, but I don't notice it during gameplay. Screen captures are a whole different thing - it ruins the majority of them. And yeah, I disabled the engineer... I wanna enjoy listening to the (great) car sounds.

Anyone fancy a challenge? You'll need the LE car pack though.

McLaren F1, all assists off, preferably using a gamepad, Silverstone National Circuit, Rain.

Try as I might, I can't get under one minute, hitting around 1:00.5, just wanted to see if anyone else can do it!!!

The best I could do within 10 laps was 1:02.4 (with a wheel even) but that challenge is BS IMO. The F1 doesn't have rain tires and no limited slip differential, it's really shitty to accelerate in the rain. It's not meant to be driven without assists in the rain.

Also (and don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe you your 1:00.5 time), rain challenges are still fucked in general in PCARS because you can't set weather in time-trials and there are no leaderboards outside of time trials, we could all be lying about rain times and never know.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
They really need to fucking stop this engineer from speaking during corners.

FUCK.

I've had over 50 offline races and can honestly say I've heard one guy comment about times, damage etc in maybe two races, that's it. :-/

fresquito

Yes, everything is locked TT mode, as well as community events.
Car setup is not locked, but, in line with the stupid UI, you need ro setup through the Garage in the menu (can access through quick menu, up right corner). For some reason you can not adjust it inside the mode.

Helznicht

SoRFoKq.png

Sakitto Sprint. That corner is pretty blind coming in and the most prominent line takes you the other way into a wall, gets me all the time.

Gen X

SoRFoKq.png

Sakitto Sprint. That corner is pretty blind coming in and the most prominent line takes you the other way into a wall, gets me all the time.

Is that a real track/variant of Suzuka cos it certainly looks like Suzuka with a couple of subtle differences.

I should be at home playing. Currently working the graveyard and all the work is complete. There is nothing to do for the next 4 hours.

Hip Hop

I have not played a single Campaign race, or anything by myself.

Just been playing the online component, it's so good and satisfying. I love it.

Helznicht

Is that a real track/variant of Suzuka cos it certainly looks like Suzuka with a couple of subtle differences.

I should be at home playing. Currently working the graveyard and all the work is complete. There is nothing to do for the next 4 hours.

Yeah its Suzuka.

By the way anybody know some good tracks to try the stock car on? The turn radius on them is abysmal. Every track I tried has turns that are pretty much impossible for that car.

The penalty system is very harsh. Go off track by the tiniest amount and your lap is invalidated even though your losing precious seconds and dropping places. Sometimes it will even invalidate the following lap also.
Got to agree with this.

Starting to get very annoyed right now with online, people just ploughing into me and barging me off track and somehow I deserve a penalty for going off track?

Then guess what happens in the next corner? The same damn thing.

Then I put a smidgen of a wheel off the track trying to avoid someone who's spun and I get a massive speed penalty (presumably because I'm apparently a repeat offender).

GHG

Got to agree with this.

Starting to get very annoyed right now with online, people just ploughing into me and barging me off track and somehow I deserve a penalty for going off track?

Then I put a smidgen of a wheel off the track trying to avoid someone who's spun and I get a massive speed penalty (presumably because I'm apparently a repeat offender).

Don't play online with randoms then.

What platform you on btw?

danowat

Banned
The best I could do within 10 laps was 1:02.4 (with a wheel even) but that challenge is BS IMO. The F1 doesn't have rain tires and no limited slip differential, it's really shitty to accelerate in the rain. It's not meant to be driven without assists in the rain.

Also (and don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe you your 1:00.5 time), rain challenges are still fucked in general in PCARS because you can't set weather in time-trials and there are no leaderboards outside of time trials, we could all be lying about rain times and never know.

It's not realistic, but it's fun!!!

I'll do a screen grab when I'm back home ;-)

Yeah its Suzuka.

By the way anybody know some good tracks to try the stock car on? The turn radius on them is abysmal. Every track I tried has turns that are pretty much impossible for that car.

Watkins Glen, Sonoma or Willow Springs.

Gen X

Yeah its Suzuka.

Watkins Glen? I'm sure we used to race that back in the day with Papyrus' Nascar.

*edit*
Beaten, but great minds etc.

Got to agree with this.

well online is online, whatever. the rules should still be right for timed laps. if all four wheels are outside the white lines it's not a valid lap.

Don't play online with randoms then.

What platform you on btw?

well online is online, whatever. the rules should still be right for timed laps. if all four wheels are outside the white lines it's not a valid lap.
'Online is online' as far as nut jobs t-boning you, yes, you're going to have to take the rough with the smooth. But not for penalties. It can and should handle them a lot better, I wouldn't say that other games are doing that much of a better job at it either, but in terms of the impact on me as an innocent party it is up there with the worst from my online experience so far.

As for going off track and harshness, I'm talking one wheel off. Not four wheels. I suspect the other poster is too given they talk about the 'tinniest of margins'.

If I put one wheel outside the white line because I have to avoid a car that's just spun out I shouldn't get a 20 second slowdown for it because I previously had a couple of less-severe slowdowns because a couple of people haven't learned how to brake yet.

And PS4.

SmokyDave

Nipped to the shop for a new mouse. Came back with a G27. This game now owes me about £1500 (game / new PC / wheel).

The missus caught me looking at the included Playseat flyer and almost took my head off. Not buying one. Yet.

GHG

Nipped to the shop for a new mouse. Came back with a G27. This game now owes me about £1500 (game / new PC / wheel).

The missus caught me looking at the included Playseat flyer and almost took my head off. Not buying one. Yet.

Next time you go out you'll come back with that play seat.

Lgndryhr

How is this game control wise? Does it feel like NFS Shift? Trying to find a racing/car game for my PS4. NFS Rivals disappointed and Driveclub just hasn't caught my interest. Last gen I enjoyed Forza, Gran Turismo, Dirt, and Grid.

_machine

Look on the bright side, now she probably won't let you go the shop so you have more time to play, right? :p

I still can't believe I never tried the career or Clio during the development, they are both so amazing. Had a very tight race where one of the AI drivers was simply relentless and I freaked out bad when he (the guy was even named after one of the devs) took a really ballsy line through the inside. Even after some scuffling for places and giving him a gentle bump I was not able to come back after 3 lap, but I still felt like I gave my all and happy with the 3rd place.

SliChillax

No matter the settings the cars refuse to steer. They understeer even at slow speeds and I swear I don't suck at racing sims I've played them all my life but this game is making me go crazy.

Hedrush

As for going off track and harshness, I'm talking one wheel off. Not four wheels. I suspect the other poster is too given they talk about the 'tinniest of margins'.

If I put one wheel outside the white line because I have to avoid a car that's just spun out I shouldn't get a 20 second slowdown for it because I previously had a couple of less-severe slowdowns because a couple of people haven't learned how to brake yet.

And PS4.

Yup, put half a tyre on the grass on a long straight and aswell as dropping speed and places your lap is invalidated. I tried turning off flags & penalties and it still penalises me.

When the game works though, it works extremely well. I finished 8th in a 12 car 7 lap race. Not a great position to finish but the racing was absolutely fantastic.

Repo Man

Loving the game! The helmet cam looks really cool but for the life of me I can't score decent lap times using it so I just stick to the bumper cam.

Mascot

No matter the settings the cars refuse to steer. They understeer even at slow speeds and I swear I don't suck at racing sims I've played them all my life but this game is making me go crazy.

Try the Ginetta G40s at Watkins Glen. Been playing them all day. Heaven on four wheels.

I can't ever see myself leaving the GT classes, to be honest. They are incredible.

Korezo

Anyone on pc get bad performance the first time running a new track then during the race it goes back to 60fps? So far every nee track I haven't raced on stutters and drops to 30 fps the first time then gets fixed.

danowat

Banned
Try the Ginetta G40s at Watkins Glen. Been playing them all day. Heaven on four wheels.

I can't ever see myself leaving the GT classes, to be honest. They are incredible.

Both M3 GT's are epic, the GT4 is a brute, but the other one is so tight, had a couple of cracking online races with those.

fresquito

You should lower the camber of your G40 to have a little more thrilling experience.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone think the simulate remainder of session feature is a little pointless? Once the A.I takes over it never seems to push the car to the max like you would do yourself and the majority of the time will start to lose places.

I've watched quite a few now and nearly every time on the straights it will pussy out when coming up behind opponents and ease back then try to catch up again only to do the same thing. Cars which are slower or the same spec will catch it pretty damn easy on the straights.

_machine

Can anyone reproduce this bug?
For me, as an audio guy, I am noticing a lot of sampling errors in replays and 1-2 during actual races where the game really does seem to dislike lined up audio sources and startd to mix them at really low update speeds. This results in a audio chudder where 1 car's engine is heard for 1/30th of a second, then the next, then the next then the next, and it starts to almost sound like echo but its just all over the place.

In races it happens far less but has now happened a couple time and it really is just discordant and absolutely painful to hear.
The original report was on XBO some pages ago and it hasn't been reported elsewhere so fixing it might need someone to reproduce it. If there is a way to get it appaear constantly please do tell the steps reproduce it and I can try to help SMS debug it.

I'm not really getting the complaints about some road cars though, I think the Evo, 1M and CTR3 all feel sublime, and especially the 1M is one of the most fun cars to drive around, though it's not good for actual racing.

Top Bottom