• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

Bsigg12

It would be nice if Microsoft partnered with a tv manufacturer to release a tv that supports all this at the same time as the Scorpio. I'd rather go bigger than a monitor, but if that's what I have to get so be it.

Curve ball, they partner with Sony for their new line of OLEDs to promote FreeSync.

Honestly though, I could see them working with both LG and Samsung to promote FreeSync and the benefits of it alongside 4K and the updated HDR standard HDMI 2.1 supports.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
While there's no such thing as a future-proof console, this is the closest I've ever seen.

Man, if they could get OG Xbox backwards-compatibility I'd lose it.

Hopefully they could do it in a better state than 360, but for the games that worked best on that console, it was absolutely great and the games looked better than on Xbox OG by far

Fredrik

Oh wow G-Sync/Freesync is an amazing upgrade for the PC. How is it possible that this news hasn't leaked?? This is huge!

scoobs

If you game on a PC monitor then this is pretty awesome that they added it. Really pleasantly surprised that they thought of it.

gamz

Curve ball, they partner with Sony for their new line of OLEDs to promote FreeSync.

Honestly though, I could see them working with both LG and Samsung to promote FreeSync and the benefits of it alongside 4K and the updated HDR standard HDMI 2.1 supports.

I bet that will happen sooner then we all think.

pieface

Damn, I upgraded my TV this year to a KS8000, not sure if Freesync is something that can be upgraded with firmware or is it hardware?

longdi

Banned
It probably won't be called FreeSync but HDMI Game Mode VRR can be implemented via firmware on PS4 Pro in the future
This sounds basically like freesync2, which was ratified and announced by AMD in ces17 iirc. So unless we need a different hdmi hardware, PS4Pro can be updated with this feature.

Strangely freesync2 slides i saw, don't mention 4k/hdr, wonder will this be resolution limited at variable fps

wildfire

Banned
And just like that one of the inherent advantages Nintendo had other 3rd parties (a lot more consistency on making games that don't feel uncomfortable performance wise) has been greatly reduced.

I'm actually now interested in Scorpio. This is a very big deal.

madmackem

If you game on a PC monitor then this is pretty awesome that they added it. Really pleasantly surprised that they thought of it.
He made it sound it won't be supported on current monitors as they use display port so we will have to wait for the first tv support it or the first monitor over hdmi 2.1.

Septic360

Banned
its so funny to all of a sudden see Xbox fanboys scream in joy and celebration for freesync. When possibly most of them did not even know what it was or cared for it 2 hours ago. Before any more celebration goes on people need to read the fine print in the article,

"to see the benefit, you'll need to have a PC monitor - a 4K one preferably, though 1080p screens will work - and it needs to support FreeSync over HDMI. This limits the amount of potential screens as it's more frequently run via DisplayPort, a video output that is not supported by Scorpio."

Its gonna be years before TV manufacturers implement this if ever. Plus there are very few 4k Monitors that do freesync tru HDMI since most do it thru displayport. Plus pc monitors as far as ive heard, do not do HDR. Everybody calm down.

giphy.gif

scoobs

Damn, I upgraded my TV this year to a KS8000, not sure if Freesync is something that can be upgraded with firmware or is it hardware?

Its hardware, and it doesn't exist in any TV currently. If you have a PC monitor that supports it over HDMI, then you can take advantage of this. Most freesync/gsync monitors use Displayport though so, I don't really know how useful it is other than just being a cool thing they added in case.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All I'm saying is someone (consoles) has to be first.

I know, i'm just saying the fact that they have to be the ones instead of these companies doing it by default is so pathetic...its their technologies they should be showing off

Bsigg12

And just like that one of the inherent advantages Nintendo had other 3rd parties (a lot more consistency on making games that don't feel uncomfortable performance wise) has been greatly reduced.

I'm actually now interested in Scorpio. This is a very big deal.

Well, kinda. You'll still have to spend a lot of money to get to that point and have a TV that supports this. It'll definitely help though!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Some tv's with HDMI 2.0 will be updated to 2.1 this year, so will the Pro be updated.

- The physical connectors and cables look the same as today's.

- Improved bandwidth from 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) to 48Gbps (HDMI 2.1).

- Can carry resolutions up to 10K, frame rates up to 120fps.

- New cables required for higher resolutions and/or frame rates.

- Spec is still being finalized, expected to publish April-June 2017.

- First products could arrive late 2017, but many more will ship in 2018.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Its hardware, and it doesn't exist in any TV currently. If you have a PC monitor that supports it over HDMI, then you can take advantage of this. Most freesync/gsync monitors use Displayport though so, I don't really know how useful it is other than just being a cool thing they added in case.

I think we'll slowly start to see the benefits of this feature mid-late 2018 or so.

But yeah, hopefully it increases the adoption of variable refresh rates everywhere.

ironcreed

Banned
It's pretty awesome when you think how this system is going to automatically upgrade whenever you decide to buy a new TV down the line, while having those of us still content with our 1080p sets covered as well. Even at $500, this system would be well worth it and then some.

its so funny to all of a sudden see Xbox fanboys scream in joy and celebration for freesync. When possibly most of them did not even know what it was or cared for it 2 hours ago. Before any more celebration goes on people need to read the fine print in the article,

"to see the benefit, you'll need to have a PC monitor - a 4K one preferably, though 1080p screens will work - and it needs to support FreeSync over HDMI. This limits the amount of potential screens as it's more frequently run via DisplayPort, a video output that is not supported by Scorpio."

Its gonna be years before TV manufacturers implement this if ever. Plus there are very few 4k Monitors that do freesync tru HDMI since most do it thru displayport. Plus pc monitors as far as ive heard, do not do HDR. Everybody calm down.

Yeah, c'mon videogame enthusiasts on a videogame enthusiasts forum, stop being enthusiastic about videogames.

This sounds basically like freesync2, which was ratified and announced by AMD in ces17 iirc. So unless we need a different hdmi hardware, PS4Pro can be updated with this feature.

Strangely freesync2 slides i saw, don't mention 4k/hdr, wonder will this be resolution limited at variable fps

Game Mode VRR

Q: Does this require the new HDMI cable?

A: No

Q: Will this work with 8K@60 or 4K@120Hz?

A: Yes if those features are implemented along with Higher Video Resolution. That will require the new 48G cable

Q: Is this primarily for consoles or will PCs utilize this also?

A: It can be used for both.

Q: Will this result in more gaming PCs connecting to HDMI displays, either monitors or TVs?

A: The intent of the feature is to enable HDMI technology to be used in these applications. Given that HDMI connectivity already has a strong presence in this area, we expect that use of HDMI technology in gaming will continue to grow.

Yeah. That's what I'm looking for. It would be pricy, but they're marketing this as a premium console. If they set up the Scorpio with a tv that supports these features at demo spots around the world I think they'd drum up a lot of excitement. This is stuff you have to see in person to appreciate. Pretty much exactly what Sony did with PSVR at Best Buy's.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, c'mon videogame enthusiasts on a videogame enthusiasts forum, stop being enthusiastic about videogames.

In other words, "how dare you get excited over the next Xbox, even though it is going to kick the shit out of any console ever released."

The Microsoft hate is so 2013. Get over it, fellas.

arhra

So your saying Pro could potentially support FreeSync as well if Sony updated their firmware like they did with HDR for the OG PS4?

Maybe? I dunno, really. I never expected to see the OG PS4 updated to support HDR, but they managed to make that work. Stuff like variable refresh rate could be trickier than that, though, since that was just changing framebuffer format, and you're more likely to run into hardcoded assumptions when it comes to things like output frequencies.

I dunno what the point would be except a check box to compete against Scorpio on features on the back of the box tho.
It'll be a nice thing to have in a few years, when you can comfortably assume any new TV you buy will support it, but right now with it only working via a vendor-specific extension it's basically checkbox territory. Awesome for those who have compatible hardware, but still meaningless for the vast majority of people who use TVs for now.

Its just annoying because even with these cool things we have to wait until its even supported on a wide level to matter
Well, that's just the modern consumer electronics industry. There's always something new and shiny on the horizon, and even if you wait for that, by the time it's widely supported there'll be something newer and shinier up and coming.

Syrus

Banned
Everyone that bought a KS8000 made a huge mistake.

Not true especially if its 2018 or later.

Then theres a question whether they will put VRR in TVs or cost effective TVs.

I spent 1500 on my TV. If I need to buy another late 2018 or 2019 im good.

Hell ill put my ks8000 in he living or bedroom

The more game consoles and TV's that support FreeSync, the faster gSync dies and we can unify around 1 standard. That will be the hope.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is pretty big news and makes the Scorpio far more future proofed than say the PS4. Of course these are things that not many are going to take advantage of right away, both the developers or hardware side of things. We won't even see TV's with HDMI 2.1 till next year sometime and even then content will be meager. Still its great to see MS pushing this because it means Sony is going to have to really step it up with inevitable PS5. This is why I enjoy competition in the gaming space, makes everyone take it up a notch and this kind of stuff is good for everyone even if it isn't felt for a few more years.

Datschge

A correction. Freesync is just AMD's brand name for their certification of Adaptive Sync displays (and certification for working with their implementation)
It's not even much of a certification. If your adaptive sync works with AMD cards you can call it Freesync, of however limited use that actually may be.

Freesync 2 on the other hand, along with HDR, does set up requirements like minimum frequency range that need to be fulfilled to get certification, similar to G-Sync.

Hybris

Wow that's big. Let's hope this pushes Freesync tech into the mainstream market so we can stop getting fucked by GSYNC prices. I'm not personally interested in the scorpio, but it cannot be understated. This is absolutely massive.

Ubersnug

Guys, I'm struggling to find a 4K monitor that supports Freesync over HDMI. Can anyone link me to one that does all of the above? I need to get an idea of screen sizes and cost.

Top Bottom