• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

DF not necessarily the best place to announce Scorpio news especially when one of their regular contributors (and Gaf regular) has a distaste for Microsoft. Not sure if it really is that easy to throw aside deep seated opinions.
aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]

I don't believe that "free of thoughts" thing, that's bullshit imo

Ryan from IGN is better on tech details than most at IGN. They sent him to the PS4 Pro event.

That was an interesting quote from DF however and sounds like there are some odd feelings to have. Not sure why MS would invite them out over IGN. I still think there is more than 1 outlet on this however.

I could be wrong.

onQ123

Will be interesting to see the specs, but Im not sure these mid gen upgrades are a good idea for the industry, especially when all the games have to be playable on the base models.

I think it's better for the industry because instead of starting over with a small user base for the games that cost more to make they get to make the game for a large user base & also push higher graphics for the people who own the higher end hardware.

RedRum

Banned
DF not necessarily the best place to announce Scorpio news especially when one of their regular contributors (and Gaf regular) has a distaste for Microsoft. Not sure if it really is that easy to throw aside deep seated opinions.
aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]

I doubt whoever this is could write an article about an MS product that's free of bias.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
aohTd3m.png

Wow, respect lost. That's the last time I pay attention to his comments and articles.

Let's try this again, this time without the shitty console warriors. Your behavior in the last thread was embarrassing, and we will be looking through it in-depth.

Missed all the fun, it seems.

Was it the usual suspects? It was the usual suspects, wasn't it?

aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]

Oh damn. That's pretty incredible. Is that someone who would make decisions for DF in this manner then?

I don't believe that "free of thoughts" thing, that's bullshit imo

I doubt whoever this is could write an article about an MS product that's free of bias.

Wow, respect lost. That's the last time I pay attention to his comments and articles.

I mean ...That's a 2yr old quote. And as far as bias...go look up his Gears of War 4 coverage. Dude did 4 separate videos on how amazing the tech in the game was.

Whether he likes MS or not, he shows more than enough love to their games.

RedRum

Banned
I mean ...That's a 2yr old quote. And as far as bias...go look up his Gears of War 4 coverage. Dude did 4 separate videos on how amazing the tech in the game was.

Whether he likes MS or not, he shows more than enough love to their games.

Before everyone starts shitting on him:

Edited post

He was replying to a comment saying that he was being bias toward Microsoft, obviously he realized what he said was wrong and I think his Halo CE DF retro definitely proves that: Youtube

Yeah. I just looked through the thread that post was made on to be sure and it just sounded like he was frustrated at some things. I believe I rushed to judgement just from that one quote, but his follow ups sound pretty sincere.

aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]
Good grief. That's childish.

Edit: so it's an old quote. Hey people can change!

I mean I think that's a little harsh in a way, even though I personally tend to agree with the sentiment that he wouldn't be able to come at this from a place of complete unbiased thoughts, this is mostly because my wife is a journalist and we try very hard to be unbiased on certain things but it is still an influence.

Thing is, most if not everyone has a bias. This shouldn't detract from what they can bring objectively with their expertise except maybe in the case where their expertise is supposed to be applied in an unbiased manner toward their bias.

Even still. As long as the bias is known to the reader and the piece is done logically and intelligently then the reader can still learn a lot from the work done while being aware of the bias. I don't think I would be wrong in saying that at the moment DF as a whole has a slight bias towards PS. At least, that's how my group of friends IRL feel. Even Gaf has this same bias.

Bias is just something that you are not going to get away from whether it is negative or positive towards x thing.

Heck, I try as hard as I can to be unbiased as of late but I still find myself being positively biased for MS over others which I am still trying to work on because I feel that it is important to be equally critical towards everyone for the health of the industry as a whole.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I hope this is true and we get a glimpse into the Scorpio's specs. Honestly I figured there would be nothing until may then a hour long presser to unveile it. Then end E3 with price and launch date. I am excited to see what the extra ram can do with real 4k textures and higher quality assets.

Dabanton

DF gets accused of bias for both sides frequently. It's tiring

Yep during the PS360 gen they were accused of being in the bag for MS, this gen people say their in the bag for Sony. I get the feeling they'll be accused of being in the bag for MS again this year...

I hope this is true and we get a glimpse into the Scorpio's specs. Honestly I figured there would be nothing until may then a hour long presser to unveile it. Then end E3 with price and launch date. I am excited to see what the extra ram can do with real 4k textures and higher quality assets.

Yeah I would love to see them actually go in depth about how the hardware works and what they've done to optimize the console for 4K output.

kennyamr

What if at midnight everyone says APRIL FOOLS!!! just kiddin' !

---

Jokes aside, I'm very intrigued by what Microsoft will show.

They need a boost so I hope they do well.

Detective

aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]

That's pure idiotic and shows what's wrong with this industry.

Gaming used to be about fun and enjoyment.

This guy makes me sick .

Venom.

This was known. No one is going to make exclusives for a console that's not established and MS isn't going to splinter their userbase

This is a new thing. I don't believe Microsoft would be doing this if Sony hadn't released the mid-cycle PS4 Pro and insisted it had no exclusives. In fact earlier last year year Spencer was quoted as saying he didn't want to release a half-step console. I believe the Scorpio was going to be a new generation but Microsoft had to react to the changing market.

Demonstrating triple-A games in VR like Fallout 4 will be attractive, but personally I feel that there would be a whole lot more excitement for the Scorpio if Microsoft declared it the start of the next-generation and it was launching with a handful of great exclusives. It worked for Switch and that only had one standout game.

This is a new thing. I don't believe Microsoft would be doing this if Sony hadn't released the mid-cycle PS4 Pro and insisted it had no exclusives. In fact earlier last year year Spencer was quoted as saying he didn't want to release a half-step console. I believe the Scorpio was going to be a new generation but Microsoft had to react to the changing market.
It's not new information. We've known there wouldn't be Scorpio exclsuives for a long time.

Lady Gaia

Would we rather $500 Zen or a $400 non-Zen? I'd rather pay the extra hundo.

If I take prior disclosure at face value? That the system won't run anything that can't run on an Xbox One for the next few years? Then I see no point in the extra expense for something that can't really be exploited properly until Scorpio's successor comes along.

That doesn't mean Microsoft won't do it. Having an installed base that can run titles that would otherwise be exclusive to the PS5 and corresponding Xbox would be a neat coup for Microsoft. Asking millions of consumers to pay extra to hand Microsoft that advantage with little to show for it for several years is the sort of thing that would appeal to corporate decision makers, but won't necessarily fly with actual customers.

If I take prior disclosure at face value? That the system won't run anything that can't run on an Xbox One for the next few years? Then I see no point in the extra expense for something that can't really be exploited properly until Scorpio's successor comes along.

That doesn't mean Microsoft won't do it. Having an installed base that can run titles that would otherwise be exclusive to the PS5 and corresponding Xbox would be a neat coup for Microsoft. Asking millions of consumers to pay extra to hand Microsoft that advantage with little to show for it for several years is the sort of thing that would appeal to corporate decision makers, but won't necessarily fly with actual customers.

But... games on PC scale with hardware just fine...
I don't understand.

JeffG

This guy makes me sick .

Much ado about nothing.

He was accused to being biased to Microsoft. Of course he replied over exaggerating his dislike.

Do you judge him by one post on an Internet forum or by his body of work. (Which IMO is just a guy that like techy shiny objects)

cheevoman

Banned
To clarify for all of you beautiful people.

A major outlet visited Microsoft this week to take a look at Scorpio and its specs, using Forza Motorsport 7 as a showcase.

I've had the information about FM7 being a 4K "showcase" for a while, but it wasn't until a friend of a friend of a friend of a writer at this particular outlet (no prizes for guessing who) leaked the big reveal to me that I considered it confirmed. It made previous information I had make more sense, combined with info I got from what's happening with the Forza guys, etc. Expect a deluge of coverage next week.

The fact MS is showing off Forza and Scorpio now potentially bodes well for E3, hopefully they're going to give us a better idea of what their games line-up will look like in 2018 and beyond, but they're prob going to be cautious with how far out they go, due to the whole Scalebound thing. I think they're aware of the narrative surrounding how their line-up looks like compared to Sony's.

We generally have good info on Microsoft's internal happenings from years and years covering Windows, Surface, Lumia (RIP) and whatnot, as tech press rather than games press.

Cheers

Very kind of you to share that information really looking forward to Scorpio !!

Wedzi

Banned
Scorpio is an instabuy for me if it means Destiny 2 at 60fps.

Not expecting Bungie to aim for 60fps on standard XBO/PS4.

I wonder since Sony has a frame rate parity clause in place for regular PS4 and PS4 Pro games, if Microsoft would do the same. Would be super interesting to see if Microsoft will put any limitations in place, assuming Scorpio has the power to achieve that anyways.

cheevoman

Banned

This guy makes me sick .

You will get haters like this all the time and everyone has choice on wherever they game but to hate on someone else console , is beyond sad and pathetic

I don't get this Gen at all to be honest

Lady Gaia

But... games on PC scale with hardware just fine...
I don't understand.

PC games have to, because there are so many different configurations that make up their market. Console games have traditionally been able to target a fixed configuration, and as we've seen with the PS4 Pro they haven't exactly fallen all over themselves to do much more than just bump resolution. Would they do more at Microsoft's say so? Maybe, but it's far from a given. Or perhaps it's just a point in time and titles with more lead time will do a better job of exploiting these kinds of mid-generation improvements.

aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]
I'm more baffled people would accuse DF at media bias towards MS, or how those people feel now that they are "defending" the Pro just like they were "defending" the xbone.

Tagg9

I wonder since Sony has a frame rate parity clause in place for regular PS4 and PS4 Pro games, if Microsoft would do the same. Would be super interesting to see if Microsoft will put any limitations in place, assuming Scorpio has the power to achieve that anyways.

Yeah, the improved CPU is the single most interesting thing for me about Scorpio. If developers put in the effort, it would mean that we could get a lot more 60fps console games.

PC games have to, because there are so many different configurations that make up their market. Console games have traditionally been able to target a fixed configuration, and as we've seen with the PS4 Pro they haven't exactly fallen all over themselves to do much more than just bump resolution. Would they do more at Microsoft's say so? Maybe, but it's far from a given. Or perhaps it's just a point in time and titles with more lead time will do a better job of exploiting these kinds of mid-generation improvements.

It's most certainly a time issue IMO and getting used to this new iterative console future. I think once the tools are in place and devs are more familiar with them and their workflow it won't be much of an issue. Games are already generally made with very high quality assets etc. Having more of these iterative consoles, both scorp and pro, out on the market is going to help simply because publishers are going to start devoting more and more budget towards setting a higher bar for assets, performance and design wise, as a foundation when projects start. Most engines are already very scalable as seen on various configurations of PC hardware.

quest

Not Banned from OT

I hope MS won't do the parity clause on frame rate. It makes no sense to me. To only enforce parity on 1 of many things that create advantages. It is misguided imo.

quest

Not Banned from OT
the frame rate thing is only for multiplayer

Exactly makes 0 sense. If you do frame rate parity then you should do resolution parity ping parity controller parity frame rate stability parity ect. It is just misguided attempt to make OG ps4 owners feel better.

Mrbob

Framerates won't change between Xbone/Scorpio and ps4/pro.

If it's 30 on the Xbone and ps4, it'll be 30 on Scorpio and pro.

Has MS been on the record that framerates need to be the same? They might be more lax than Sony in this area. It would be in ms best interest to have Scorpio pushed as the best version of multi platform game available.

Wait really, they do? I thought I heard about some game giving a 1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps option on a Pro or something.

Damn. The dream is dead.

Top Bottom