• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

G'ah, I keep going back and forth. As a non-vita owner, was going to buy an OLED model today because every video and picture makes the LCD look inferior by a large margin. But everything else about the Slim is what I would prefer. Screen takes priority for me. I hope kiosks pop up soon so I can try the slim out myself as my biggest worry is I will open up my new expensive handheld and realize the oled/LCD differences have been downplayed here and I will regret my decision.

Has anyone seen a Slim kiosk display in US stores yet?

As a Vita owners with 3 Vitas in the house (black & white OLED models and a white/lime2000), the 2000 wins. I don't think it's even a contest. The screen of the 2000 is equal in DAT OLED 'quality'. The 2000 doesn't have blotches, vertical lines, won't suffer burn in (my white OLED burnt in a static internet browser bar) and colors that aren't blown out/over saturated.

I tested these last night and Motorstorm Arctic Edge, Uncharted, MLB 13 the Show, Need For Speed Most Wanted all looked better, somehow. They seriously looked better....even Limbo didn't suffer like I thought it would!

Every preview pic or video of the 2000 seemed to show a warm, yellowed whites, greenish tinted washed out screen....

....you know what, expect that.

because when I used my 2000 for the first time looking for all of that, I didn't see it; all of that felt like a lie. I assure you the 2000 screen is damn good, better even. I'm not going back to my OLED unless the 2000 breaks, dies or explodes.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
As a Vita owners with 3 Vitas in the house (black & white OLED models and a white/lime2000), the 2000 wins. I don't think it's even a contest. The screen of the 2000 is equal in DAT OLED 'quality'. The 2000 doesn't have blotches, vertical lines, won't suffer burn in (my white OLED burnt in a static internet browser bar) and colors that aren't blown out/over saturated.

I tested these last night and Motorstorm Arctic Edge, Uncharted, MLB 13 the Show, Need For Speed Most Wanted all looked better, somehow. They seriously looked better....even Limbo didn't suffer like I thought it would!

Every preview pic or video of the 2000 seemed to show a warm, yellowed whites, greenish tinted washed out screen....

because when I used my 2000 for the first time looking for all of that, I didn't see it; all of that felt like a lie. I assure you the 2000 screen is damn good, better even. I'm not going back to my OLED unless the 2000 breaks, dies or explodes.

Well, thanks. That does make me feel a bit better. I am OCD when it comes to "aww, there is a better option out there" so hearing more and more from people that the LCD is surprisingly better than originally thought from impressions, it eases my mind a tad.

I'll probably continue to stockpile Amazon credit until the Borderlands bundle comes out. Best Buy is having a clearance at my local store only on the 32gb cards (50-something bucks) so maybe i'll snag one of those. I don't think 8gb will cut it for the PS+ games I already downloaded despite not having a Vita. That and I want to play some PSP and PSone games on the thing.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
damn.. I should have changed to a 2K

Can I ask why? not missing out on much but that's just my opinion after trying it for a hour. That smaller rearpad is nice though. Would upgrade to 2k no problem if something were to ever happen to my OLED though.

I'm hoping if they make a Vita 3k it's actually a substantial upgrade like PSP1000 to 2000

wilflare

Can I ask why? not missing out on much but that's just my opinion after trying it for a hour. That smaller rearpad is nice though. Would upgrade to 2k no problem if something were to ever happen to my OLED though.

I'm hoping if they make a Vita 3k it's actually a substantial upgrade like PSP1000 to 2000

honestly, if the screen was an OLED, I think the Vita 2K would have been a definite upgrade.

I tried it out for myself - everything about it feels much better (slimmer, lighter, better grip, etc)

gogogow

honestly, if the screen was an OLED, I think the Vita 2K would have been a definite upgrade.

I tried it out for myself - everything about it feels much better (slimmer, lighter, better grip, etc)

Well, the only reason the 2K model exists is because of the OLED screen, which is a lot more expensive than a LCD screen. We are never gonna see the OLED screen return on another Vita revision, if there's gonna be one.

Li Kao

I don't usually like white handhelds, but that lime green + white Vita looks so nice. SCEA please. :(

Hmm, yeah the lime green would surely be my choice if I bought a 2k, but... I would be curious to see a white / khaki. That khaki seems seriously classy.

HooYaH

Just got my Imported White/Light Blue and the slim ergo is a much improvement over the 1000. As for the screen, I think the 2000 can use a tad more color, but I do like the natural colors over the saturated OLED.

So far, 2000>1000.

i guess really the only thing holding me back is that there is a chance that vita 3000 will be out in a year or so.... hmmm...

how much is a used vita 1k worth these days anyways?

Yazuka

I've been conflicted about getting a 1000 or a 2000 model. But after all the stuff I've heard about 2000, I know that's the one for me.

Ramune

A 2000 would definitely be the way to go for me since I always take my Vita to work with me. Kinda like how the 3000 was a huge difference in convenience compared to lugging the 1000 model in my scrubs pocket. Green is my color so originally I was debating Black/Khaki. But now I'm definitely feeling White/Lime Green with all the love in this thread. Still keep my White 1000, but a 2000 would seriously be my main machine.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thinking about importing a capture modded one but I'm unsure of which color to go for. I'm thinking just the plain black or the white and light blue.

dolabla

The only thing that kept me from importing one was possible warranty issues. I actually ordered the Lime Green/White one, but I ended up cancelling before they shipped it out. I so wanted that color scheme though.

I just went ahead and pre-ordered the Borderland's 2 Vita bundle. Sucks it only comes in plain black, but I guess won't run into any possible warranty issues (I'm gonna buy an extended warranty too). I'm mostly retiring my OLED model once I get the LCD model in. I want to keep the OLED model in as good as shape as I can.

NysGAF

I ordered the white/green yesterday. I was fine living without one until I got FF XIV and have to play it all. the. time. Can anyone set my mind at ease that the first screen to pop up will be language settings?

Drago

is the greenness of the lcd more apparent in photos than in person?

anyone have white/khaki first hand photos
Way more apparent in photos

Screen looks like crap in pics but I think it looks great in person. Nowhere near as bad as pictures (esp comparisons with OLED) would have you believe

is the greenness of the lcd more apparent in photos than in person?

anyone have white/khaki first hand photos

No.

In fact, games are more clear on the 2000. Whether that's good or bad depends on the person, but I noticed every rain drop ripple on the ground in Dead Nation Vita, a little bit ago.

That was something I never noticed on the 1000's - as games always seemed crisp but smeared, with regard to sharpness.

I don't know exactly how to convey it, but the 2000 screen is sharper, regarding image quality.

dolabla

Read that case won't work the Vita 2000. This also brings the question, anyone knows a good case for Vita 2000?

This is the one I have coming in (should be here any day now):

hard-pouch-for-ps-vita-pch2000-black-329307.1.jpg

It's made by Hori for the Vita 2000 (it's also available in the color blue). I had to order from Ebay, because Play-Asia and YesAsia (YesAsia cancelled my order) aren't getting anymore in stock. It looks to be the same as my Hori Vita 1000 hard pouch (but maybe smaller?), which is this:

pa.208861.1.jpg

If it is mostly the same, it's a good case because that 1000 case has been pretty good for me.

Does anyone know if the first edition launch bundle Vita case will fit a slim inside of it?

I love that case and don't want to give it up. The Vita slim is slightly taller than the original, right?

CrazyDude

Pretty disappointed with the LCD screen looks noticeably worse than the oled screen. Feels more washed out to me. Oh well, I'll get use to it. Everything else great.

Drago

Are there any good rear touch pad protectors I can get for the 2000? Do they even exist? lol

I normally don't do protectors on any of my electronics but I'm seeing some fine scratches already building up on the rear touch of my unit and I'd like to protect it and keep that as pristine as possible.

Are there any good rear touch pad protectors I can get for the 2000? Do they even exist? lol

I normally don't do protectors on any of my electronics but I'm seeing some fine scratches already building up on the rear touch of my unit and I'd like to protect it and keep that as pristine as possible.

What I used on the 1000 & will do again on the 2000:

The official Sony PSVita protector 2 pack, buy that and trim one to fit the rear panel ^_^

Synless

Every day this thread gets bumped and every day I get closer and closer to buying that lime green Vita. I don't need it as I own a Vita already, but damn do I want it.

DrXym

I have an OLED screen and its gorgeous. But if dumping that for an LCD saves money then its quite understandable its gone. At the end of the day if people buy the 2000 model then I still win from more games. It's not like LCD screens are necessarily bad either - lots of phones have LCD screens without anyone complaining.

It's too bad Sony didn't throw in the towel on the proprietary memory cards, or at least throw open the format to competition and cheaper prices by licensing it out to Sandisk et al.

Vashetti

Banned
I wish there was a way to get around the Circle/Cross switch on an imported version. I don't think I could deal with it.

Otherwise that white/lime-green beauty would be mine.

Bold One

buy a tempered glass screen protector
it's the best thing

I know mine is the OLED Model but the glass SP is just awesome
the clarity and touch it offers cannot be matched by the conventional SP

(btw, anyone apply anything to the backpad?)

how do I change the wallpaper on that opening peel screen thing?

Don Lapre

The only thing that kept me from importing one was possible warranty issues. I actually ordered the Lime Green/White one, but I ended up cancelling before they shipped it out. I so wanted that color scheme though.

I just went ahead and pre-ordered the Borderland's 2 Vita bundle. Sucks it only comes in plain black, but I guess won't run into any possible warranty issues (I'm gonna buy an extended warranty too). I'm mostly retiring my OLED model once I get the LCD model in. I want to keep the OLED model in as good as shape as I can.

Squaretrade had no problems warranting my khaki import.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I wish there was a way to get around the Circle/Cross switch on an imported version. I don't think I could deal with it.

Otherwise that white/lime-green beauty would be mine.

Im in the same boat. If it helps the button swap is really only in the menus and home screens i hear. Most games don't switch the x and o

Does the PS button light up on the 2000 model?

No, the PS button does not light up.

There are small vertical LEDs on the top of the system that do.

I'm also surprised more people aren't interested in the black/pink model. I had a really, really tough time choosing - but I was second guessing my decision, after ordering the lime. I'm ultimately happy with the lime, but would be thrilled by the pink, too.

Pics shamelessly taken off of YouTube:

Gah! That PINKxBLACK is sexy....

gogogow

No, the PS button does not light up.

There are small vertical LEDs on the top of the system that do.

I'm also surprised more people aren't interested in the black/pink model. I had a really, really tough time choosing - but I was second guessing my decision, after ordering the lime. I'm ultimately happy with the lime, but would be thrilled by the pink, too.

Pics shamelessly taken off of YouTube:

Gah! That PINKxBLACK is sexy....

I think all the colours are quite nice. I wish you could swap the back cover yourself.

Drago

The pink looks exactly like my sister's pink GBC did, haha.

Black front got the better back colors I think, the lime green they used is my least favorite color (I wish they went more green and less yellow, like the green GBC) and the blue looks kinda dark to me, I don't really like it. Black/Khaki and Black/Pink both look really great to me though. If I didn't want a white front over a black one, I would've bought a khaki, that model is bautiful

neoflcl

Im in the same boat. If it helps the button swap is really only in the menus and home screens i hear. Most games don't switch the x and o

I thought it would bug me too, but after using my imported Vita, I can say that it doesn't bug me at all. Like others have said, the X/O button switch mainly affects the OS, and I haven't come across any games that are affected by it yet. Despite the swapped buttons, I have no trouble using my imported Vita and my US PS3.

Also, I usually find myself using touch for most of the Vita's simple OS operations, essentially making the swapped buttons a non-issue :p

Top Bottom