• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Will the new dock work with the OG vita? I didn't even know the vita had a dock until this thread. Now that I go to buy one on the Sony site it's out of stock. Bummer.

edit: NVM found the docking station on Amazon for 13.90, bought.

kharma45

The OG PS Vita was Super AMOLED+ btw (not SAMOLED as in the list), it had RGB stripe rather than PenTile in Super AMOLED. PS Vita, Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Galaxy S2 are the only devices I know which used the technology, every other mobile SAMOLED uses RGBG (PenTile) or some variation.

With the end of the OG Vita, so goes RGB OLED for mobile as well. I don't see Samsung continuing the manufacture of SAMOLED+ without any devices using it.

End of an era guys.

Still, the LCD is probably around a third of the cost and should lead to future price reductions and more Vita owners!

Now I think about it there wasn't that much that did use Super AMOLED+, only other I can think of bar the ones you've mentioned is the Lumia 900. Pity.

MaDKaT

You can always import the colors as the Vitas are not region locked. Just boot it up and pick English/US, etc.

Circle might just be your accept button instead of X

Really? Never imported a system. If is is just as simple as choosing English and I get the same functionality of a native system I will just import.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
No, the connectors are different.

Thanks for the reply but I just bought this one.

Wle2PyL.png

You can always import the colors as the Vitas are not region locked. Just boot it up and pick English/US, etc.

Circle might just be your accept button instead of X

sure, but not for the same price, those who wants colors but also expecting it to be $199 might be disappointed.

Really? Never imported a system. If is is just as simple as choosing English and I get the same functionality of a native system I will just import.

Yep, I have a red and blue Vita 1000 I bought in Japan. just pick English at the initial boot.

All games carts are region free too. And you will have access to whatever PSN store for the country you select.

driver116

My understanding is it IS permanent if it's on OLED, but not so on LCD. Basically it remains stuck on one color (red in my case), and never changes. Since it's an OLED, the red pixel lights up brightly and is extremely distracting.

Here is a pick of mine.

Use the the round end of a Bic pen to apply slight pressure over the stuck pixel.

Edit forgot to say - this is a good method to use on an LCD monitor and the Vita does have a plastic layer over its screen so it will e more difficult.

You will, with the Vita anyway. It depends on the system (for example, 3ds is region locked and a Japanese system doesn't allow changing from Japanese language to anything else).

As CoachKevin stated, the only different you'll see with a Japanese Vita is that O and X are swapped, and only in the UI, it won't affect games themselves.

Netto-kun

I pre-ordered the God Eater 2 Fenrir Edition. Going to use the original Vita I picked up last week for my EU PSN account and/or use it as a Super PSP.

Sony seems to give best hardware materials to first adopters so this is no surprise. PSP Situation all over again glad I have the original model. Will get one of these though on the side one day.
Indeed, but I had no hesitation in selling my PSP-1000 for a 2000. The finish was fantastic, but it was heavy, the d-pad was terrible for hitting diagonals, and the Square button felt crap. The 2000 had a hugely superior d-pad (I could actually run and turn at the same time in RE1) and it was much more comfortable to hold over long periods.

The Vita on the other hand started out much better. It could also do with being a bit lighter, but for its size it's not way too heavy like the PSP-1000 was, and is already pretty comfortable. The Start and Select buttons are annoying to hit, but the main buttons are superb, d-pad in particular, so I can live with it. Battery life isn't great, but not anywhere near as bad as the PSP. OLED doesn't go dim enough for gaming in bed, but it's a fine screen in other conditions.

So the 2000 resolves a lot of this... lighter, better Start/Select buttons, better battery life, and presumably an LCD that goes dimmer. I will be very tempted to sell my Vita for a 2000 (particularly if I see confirmation about a screen that can go dimmer), but I will definitely be hesitating much more than when I owned a PSP-1000.

Ty4on

So the 2000 resolves a lot of this... lighter, better Start/Select buttons, better battery life, and presumably an LCD that goes dimmer. I will be very tempted to sell my Vita for a 2000 (particularly if I see confirmation about a screen that can go dimmer), but I will definitely be hesitating much more than when I owned a PSP-1000.

whynotboth.gif

I want a Vita 2000 for my daily so that I can save the OLED for when I need dat contrast.

Sony seems to give best hardware materials to first adopters so this is no surprise. PSP Situation all over again glad I have the original model. Will get one of these though on the side one day.

I thought PSP 2000 and 3000 were nice improvements over 1000.

have you seen the DS4 dock? it too is the sex.
ds4-charger-official.jpg

Its interesting here that it is getting its power from the under side of the controller when the normal charging port is on the top. I guess that bit next tot he headphone jack can also charge the controller. Good shit.

Durante

The OG PS Vita was Super AMOLED+ btw (not SAMOLED as in the list), it had RGB stripe rather than PenTile in Super AMOLED. PS Vita, Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Galaxy S2 are the only devices I know which used the technology, every other mobile SAMOLED uses RGBG (PenTile) or some variation.
Hah, I own 2 out of 3.

Afrit

Wait what, it's actually bigger now except for the depth?? Maybe I'll hold off until the next redesign, unless something like Persona 5 is Vita exclusive

yeah, but it's only few millimeters and the vita was already big, so something less than %2 increase is very trivial. Unless in next redesign they cut the size of the screen to 4 inch or make it a PSPgo form factor, Vita will not get any smaller in height & width.

Actually, the increased height accommodate the new rounded start, select & home buttons as opposed to the small oval buttons in OG vita. and the increase in width probably related to the larger oval grip at the back of the Vita2000 -although the touchpad on the back got smaller.

The trend now favor slimmer device, you can see that in smartphones which already getting bigger but slimmer.

8byte

Banned
Its interesting here that it is getting its power from the under side of the controller when the normal charging port is on the top. I guess that bit next tot he headphone jack can also charge the controller. Good shit.

Or it could be inductive charging, which would be even cooler.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
As CoachKevin stated, the only different you'll see with a Japanese Vita is that O and X are swapped, and only in the UI, it won't affect games themselves.
Not necessarily true. Some non-Japanese games will detect the region of your system and retain the Japanese layout. If I'm remembering correctly (don't have my Vita with me) Quell: Memento and Muramasa both do. I think I remember reading that Dragon's Crown does as well.

As a result, some button prompts are incorrect. Not a big deal though, obviously.

I came in this thread for the cute penguins.

I really like that light blue/white Vita, by the way. Even though I really want OLED.
Light coloured electronics are super under-created. It seems like I'm always looking for electronics like that, but they end up rare.

I may buy a second Vita just for that colour scheme.

Will wait for US version although I'm hoping for more colors. I want the yellow. Had a yellow Pikachu GBC and want a yellow handheld again.

I doubt US will get those colors other than black, white, and maybe gray. In that case, I'll get white since I missed the white OLED Vita.

UNCMark

Banned
God, now that's fucking sexy. I love that new dock.

I like the dock in that pic, but that Vita does not look sexy at all to me. Looks like cheap, plasticy crap. Notably the sections around the buttons/speakers and the border around the screen. Yuck. I'll be getting the pink-black one though. Or maybe Lime-white. I'm surprised they still haven't give us a date in the US or Europe yet. I assume that means 2014 at the earliest.

CamHostage

Still wish the controller had charging pins, same with the Vita. That was my favorite aspect of the original PSP cradle, you just lay it in there and it's charging, no need to plug anything in. (We'll probably have inductive-charging controllers at some point anyway, but we're not there yet.) Super convenient, there's something slightly-yet-significantly satisfying about not futzing with a plug.

mothball

I thought PSP 2000 and 3000 were nice improvements over 1000.

The 3k's dpad alone vs the 1k's, jesus christ. It set off my PSP renaissance. Now I have no idea how I ever managed with the 1k's dpad.

If the Vita 2k's shoulder buttons aren't mushy and don't rock back and the forth like the 1k's do, I might have to get one. Also interested in seeing how account switching works with the built in NAND.

kuYuri

For anyone curious, according to Yosp, the 1000 will continue to be sold since it's the only model that also offers 3G.

Top Bottom