• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

Had a Vita since Christmas and am extremely happy with the machine. I don't think I've gone a day without playing it and have already bought 53 games on my 64 GB memory card. I am in love.

But I am disappointed that the only western color available is black. Is this correct?

I know Japan obviously has tons of color options, but our inverted O and X buttons create an inconsistency issue I consider unacceptable.

Has anybody ever considered, or tried, to buy a Japanes Vita, disassemble the device, and reassemble the colored case on the NA Vita guts? Essentially swapping the plastic shell on them both.

I have seen people disassemble their Vitas before and it seems like it could be possible.

EDIT: Also, are the inverted button functions only a problem on a system level? Or will functions be inverted in games as well?

Yes, only black for North America. Also, buttons are inverted on a system level, games use their own system.

So, then, if I were to buy a JP Vita the only place where the inverted button functions would even matter are the OS? I thought for sure I had read, over the years, that people had frustrations playing games because confirm and cancel were swapped around.

Massa

So, then, if I were to buy a JP Vita the only place where the inverted button functions would even matter are the OS? I thought for sure I had read, over the years, that people had frustrations playing games because confirm and cancel were swapped around.

From what I understand some games will use a fixed confirm/cancel button layout (mostly following the standard of where it's developed), some will inherit from the system default.

You get used to the swapped buttons within a couple of a minutes. I'm always surprised it's a complaint.

On a system level, I wouldn't care, but if the problem will cause different games to have different behaviors then I do care. If all games were always going to be the same, that's fine. But if they're not, then this is not an option for me.

Call it OCD or whatever but it's all or nothing.

kurahador

From what I understand some games will use a fixed confirm/cancel button layout (mostly following the standard of where it's developed), some will inherit from the system default.

This is true. The annoying part is when you save a game.

Like most english language game will use X for confirm, but as you save it'll brings up the vita UI and you have to use O for confirm.

Which brings me back to modding.

Would switching the shells on a western Vita with a colored shell from a JP Vita be possible for somebody with little experience, but reasonable understanding?

TomShoe

Banned

Would switching the shells on a western Vita with a colored shell from a JP Vita be possible for somebody with little experience, but reasonable understanding?

Tbh you'd be better off just buying a JP Vita and selling your old one if it bothers you that much.

Shizuka

There is button switching now, you can change everything, but it'll affect games as well. Switching shells won't do anything.

Tbh you'd be better off just buying a JP Vita and selling your old one if it bothers you that much.

It doesn't. I'm just curious. I could have my black Vita forever. But I like a lot of the Japanese colors more. People custom mod consoles all the time, and I have seen one really insane gold Vita mod, but that person was a modding enthusiast.

There is button switching now, you can change everything, but it'll affect games as well. Switching shells won't do anything.

It will if I'm just taking plastic from a JP Vita and putting it on an NA Vita. The change would be purely cosmetic.

I'm thinking people are misunderstanding what I'm asking.

Was at best buy earlier and thought I'd pick up a bigger memory card for my vita, thinking they would be cheaper now. I ended up walking out empty handed. Lower the price sony, I'm willing to buy more games if I could afford more memory.

muteki

Vita GAF - currently have a 1000 that I have happily had for a couple years now and soon I plan on getting a 2000. I have had my JP psn account on my 1000 all this time, but goal would be to move it and all associated data to the 2000 and tie my US psn account to my older 1000.

Is the process going to simply be backing up my existing account and restoring to the new device? Are there any limits as to the number of vitas per account (in other words, would I have to deauthorize/deactivate my 1000 before moving to a 2000?)

Edit: okay, seems like the current limit is 3 portables (psp, ps vita, vita tv) per account, and if I just log in to the new one with the same account and move the memory card over, it should be that simple, in theory.

honjo73

in a few weeks i’ll be spending a lot of time on airplanes and want to play as much as possible on my Vita while travelling.

any recommendations on what external battery pack (and potentially other travel accessories) i should get to keep my Vita energized?

Circinus

its hard being a vita lover/fan if youre not into anime type games anymore

I'm not into Japanese (the niche ones) / anime games at all and I love the PS Vita.

One of the best PlayStation systems ever, hands down.

Arguably the best handheld system ever, hands down.

Any chance that TGS will reveal the PSV3000 for release October 2015?

I really feel the Lime 2000 and want one so bad! Just not sure if buy now, or wait for 3000

wilflare

Any chance that TGS will reveal the PSV3000 for release October 2015?

I really feel the Lime 2000 and want one so bad! Just not sure if buy now, or wait for 3000

you will be safer here my friend
here and over the PSNGAF
(secretly VitaGAF)
thread in Community

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021270

I wish they would release a Vita 3000 with L2 and R2 buttons... and hopefully L3 and R3 too lol but sigh Sony gotta Soony :/

Krakn3Dfx

Ordered a 2000 this weekend when Newegg had the Borderlands 2 bundle for $170 shipped on Ebay, no sales tax kind of sealed the deal for me. Traded in my OG launch Vita at Gamestop for $90 a few months back when they were doing 50% extra trade-in credit (right analog stick was drifting a bit, figured I'd get out while the getting was good).

Stoked to check out the lighter, thinner model, haven't even seen one in person.

How's the remote play for Bloodborne?

Go to Settings than click on Accessibility. Scroll down to Button Assignments.

Check enable and go to town.
Thanks for this. I found a video on YouTube, but the guy who made the video didn't seem to go into editing the setting. It seems this makes it a system-wide option, meaning it'll apply in games. So say I have a JPN Vita 2000 and I want X to be select and square to be back, if I change the setting so that each button does the other's function, then if I play a western region game, that means the X function will now be on the square button because the system setting overrides everything...which would defeat the whole purpose for me. Or am I reading this wrong?

i do want a funky coloured Vita but this is putting me off.

Skyzard

Banned
Picked one up today, it's very nice. Screen is fine, very nice and light, great start and select buttons, triggers seem a bit better and it's a bit more comfortable to hold. Very happy with it although I was hoping to get the black and grey but apparently they stopped making them.

Go to Settings than click on Accessibility. Scroll down to Button Assignments.

Check enable and go to town.

Wouldn't this change x and o in games as well as the menu?

Skyzard

Banned
Ah, I just read the other post about it and it would change it in games too.

Not a big deal anyway, I managed to adjust long before thanks to Japanese games keeping that select system with games over a decade ago.

batrush

The O/X swap isn't a big deal at all. I adjusted almost immediately. If you're not using the stock apps a bunch, I doubt you'll ever notice it.

muteki

Happy birthday to me:

3VgrHed.jpg

- Coming from OLED, the screen takes some getting used to but I don't have any crazy yellowing or stuck/dead pixels so I'm pretty happy.
- Sound is much louder than before. I almost can't turn it up all the way too loud.
- Remote play over my wifi went from marginal with my 1000 to pretty stable with the 2000. I used to not be able to be in bed 2 walls to my router and have it work, but so far so good.
- So much easier to hold. It is just overall a little larger than the 1000 which helps out a lot.

Got an email from play Asian about some new grip that has L2/R2 on them, what does everyone think?

http://www.play-asia.com/l2r2-butto...en-70-8qs3.html?ref=sp_919&sc1=N318700867

I guess just keep in mind that not every game over remote play maps L2/R2 to those areas of the touch pad, and you can't configure them that way.

Should be great for PS1 games though.

Edit: has it always taken so long to write data to the 64gb card? I'm having trouble transferring anything over 2Gb to it.

AmyS

Okay guys, my local GameStop has both the OLED and LCD models in stock, pre-owned.

I'm seriously considering going there today to look at the units. They're both $140..

If I get a VITA, it would complete my PlayStation Family of systems and I could finally take full advantage of PS+ and get to use Remote Play.

First off, I'm leaning toward the VITA-1000 for its OLED screen. Do both models support 60 FPS Remote Play with PS4 or only the -2000 LCD model

Anything else to consider?

Okay guys, my local GameStop has both the OLED and LCD models in stock, pre-owned.

I'm seriously considering going there today to look at the units. They're both $140..

If I get a VITA, it would complete my PlayStation Family of systems and I could finally take full advantage of PS+ and get to use Remote Play.

First off, I'm leaning toward the VITA-1000 for its OLED screen. Do both models support 60 FPS Remote Play with PS4 or only the -2000 LCD model

Both models support 60FPS remote play.

Go for the second model, it's better in every possible way except the screen, which is close to being negligible. (Not negligible, but close).

AmyS

Good, 60FPS Remote Play on both, check.

Go for the second model, it's better in every possible way except the screen, which is close to being negligible. (Not negligible, but close).

And the 2000 model probably has had less use since it's newer, although I won't know til I see the condition of both of them.

N° 2048

I am in the same boat.

Pretty much have a choice between the 1000 and 2000 models.

Thing is, 2000 is a bit pricier (but brand new) and comes with one year warranty from Sony.
The 1000 I am looking comes with 90 days warranty.

Honestly thinking I'll take the warranty over OLED screen. Plus I heard the charger port is micro usb on new one and old is proprietary.

Tough choices
:p

batrush

I mainly use my 2000s these days, but I still prefer the 1000 due to its build quality and premium feel. The screen difference isn't a big deal. It's the cheap feel (creaks/squeaks all over, doesn't seem very solid) that makes the 2000 less pleasant to use.

I'd say unless you absolutely must have the OLED then go 2000. In my opinion it has a better screen than the OLED as well, by YMMV.

Tayaya

Got an email from play Asian about some new grip that has L2/R2 on them, what does everyone think?

http://www.play-asia.com/l2r2-butto...en-70-8qs3.html?ref=sp_919&sc1=N318700867

that's actually a pretty clever idea. I hate how unresponsive the rear pad gets after a while from finger grease, and for Remote Play this would be awesome because you would have actual buttons to press! As long as mechanism to hit the back pad is solid, I would buy these for myself.

N° 2048

I am in the same boat.

Thing is, 2000 is a bit pricier (but brand new) and comes with one year warranty from Sony.

Honestly thinking I'll take the warranty over OLED screen. Plus I heard the charger port is micro usb on new one and old is proprietary.

Tough choices

Welp. WalMart had the Borderlands 2 bundle for $99. Priced matched @ BB and got it for $89.99.

I am officially part of Vita-GAF!

Sarcasm

I am in the same boat.

Tough choices

Best choice is 2K, especially if you want natural colors.

Though it must be my location cause even importing my 2K was cheaper than squat.

on the other hand if I want anything but the regional nintendo (aka I want NA to have English games) I have to pay 400 USD

Top Bottom