• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

XenoRaven

Do you guys know if it's possible to back up a save from a PS3's emulated memory card to a USB device and then use that save file in PCSX2?

I think its worth a try on the desktop. But my guess is only the most compatible and light weight games will run decently. I'd stick to 2d games and also the persona games run very well, but if you were looking to run MGS 3 or Shadow of the Colossus i'd recommend a new cpu overclocked to 4.0 ghz or more.

Sweet. I just tried Dragon Quest VIII and it ran perfect at 4x resolution. Wooho!

1367156427-shade-boost-on-off.png
That looks absolutely gorgeous!

Dr. Buni

I am trying to run FF 12 IZJS, but the framerate often drops down to 40ish. Most games I have run fine on both Dolphin and PCSX2, so I am wondering if it is a problem with the game?

I have a i7 2600 and a r7 260x.

Excuse my question, I hope this is okay.

But how is Star Ocean 3 on PCSX2, now? Last time I tried it, it had resolution problems and some other bugs. Do the recent versions of PCSX2... are they better at playing Star Ocean?

I would kind of like to play Star Ocean 3, but I'm not around a PlayStation 2, right now.

Arcadius

Banned
Excuse my question, I hope this is okay.

But how is Star Ocean 3 on PCSX2, now? Last time I tried it, it had resolution problems and some other bugs. Do the recent versions of PCSX2... are they better at playing Star Ocean?

I would kind of like to play Star Ocean 3, but I'm not around a PlayStation 2, right now.

Hellloooo HolyBaikal!!!!! I'm not playing Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time currently, but I went out to go and try it. According to the PCSX2 wiki, the game should be running and working well. http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Star_Ocean:_Till_the_End_of_Time

I tried to play the game for a few minutes to see if anything weird would happen and I can confirm that everything should be a oh kay!!! =)

There is one issue with the game, but I believe this can be solved with how you use your controller.... which lends to the question. What type of controller are you using for PCSX2?

Arcadius

Banned
I am trying to run FF 12 IZJS, but the framerate often drops down to 40ish. Most games I have run fine on both Dolphin and PCSX2, so I am wondering if it is a problem with the game?

I have a i7 2600 and a r7 260x.

If you could tell me, what are your EE, GS and VU percentages when you get frame-rate drops. What type of speed hacks are you running? The percentages are located in the "Windows Bar", where it says what version of PCSX2 you're running.

bomblord1

Banned
hey guys whats the best way to about extracting my bios from a ps2?

The instructions in the op seem incredibly convoluted and requires a lot of extra hardware.

bomblord1

Banned
I need you to be a bit more specific, which part do you need a tutorial for. We should start with the basics, is your memory card modified with Free MC Boot?

Nothing is modified I have a PS2 slim sitting in front of me as well as all the items listed in this thread on pcsx2 forum.

I tried to go through that step by step but it's missing files necessary to finish it. I had to stop after it says to extract the memcardexploit.rar file "below" as there is no memcardexploit.rar in the attached files. There is a file called "memorycardexploit.rar" but it does not contain the files necessary to proceed.

Arcadius

Banned
Right, can you tell me which PS2 slim you own? What model number, SCPH-something.

Ahh, that guide is pretty complicated and since you can't get all of the files, I'm not sure it'll work. I use a different method with an already modified memory card.

I guess what we can do is check that PS2 model number first.

xemumanic

I tried searching before I asked, so sorry if this has been discussed already but, is Ace Combat 5 working on PCSX 2? I could have sworn it was already.........

bomblord1

Banned
Right, can you tell me which PS2 slim you own? What model number, SCPH-something.

Ahh, that guide is pretty complicated and since you can't get all of the files, I'm not sure it'll work. I use a different method with an already modified memory card.

I guess what we can do is check that PS2 model number first.

SPCH-75001

I tried searching before I asked, so sorry if this has been discussed already but, is Ace Combat 5 working on PCSX 2? I could have sworn it was already.........

It's listed as playable

Arcadius

Banned
SPCH-75001

Okay, the guide you tried to follow is something called an Independence Exploit and according to afterdawn, it does not work with V11 and above PS2 models. Your PS2 model is above V11 and as such, that's a dead end.

However!!!!!! You're not entirely hopeless. What you can do is find someone who has Free MC Boot on a memory card and they can install the exploit directly on your memory card.

bomblord1

Banned
Okay, the guide you tried to follow is something called an Independence Exploit and according to afterdawn, it does not work with V11 and above PS2 models. Your PS2 model is above V11 and as such, that's a dead end.

However!!!!!! You're not entirely hopeless. What you can do is find someone who has Free MC Boot on a memory card and they can install the exploit directly on your memory card.

That's not possible I don't know anyone with anything like that. I have an old fat PS2 but it doesn't have an ethernet adapter.

Arcadius

Banned
That's not possible I don't know anyone with anything like that. I have an old fat PS2 but it doesn't have an ethernet adapter.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this specific address on NeoGAF so I will PM you with some details.

The only way to get the exploit is to either find someone in real life or send your memory card to a trusting soul for them to perform the exploit.

Dirtie

No idea. I don't think that PCSX2 is at all that optimized yet.
My i7 960, 16gb ram seems like a minimum for comfortable gaming without too much hassle.
PCSX2 runs FFXII just fine on my old Core 2 Quad with 4GB RAM, HD6850 graphics. You're setting the bar way too high.

But it's really dependent on the game. I managed to finish Katamari even with occasional slowdown in places. Shadow of the Colossus on the other hand was only barely playable with heavy speed hacks.

mjontrix

If you can get a certain ps1 demo disk you can rip it, modify one of the soccer games on it , do hot swap and load free mcboot through it.

Its the disc with abes oddysee and the cube game on it (pal, I dunno but ntsc).

I kmow it works because I did it - broke the front tab of the disk drive though so no ps logo on the drive but thats because I was rushing. The hotswap itself is a bit risky but the disc doesnt spin too fast so its not bad - the card you need to make use a strong plastic (thin).

SnowTeeth

Banned
Does anyone have a good Rez config that has a steady framerate?

I have a i7 2600 3.4Ghz with 8GB RAM and a GTX 570 1280MB VRAM. It's usually steady enough but when transitioning between layers a drop in framerate and general emulation weirdness occurs which sort of ruins the experience.
Having a flawless emulated Rez with MSAA turned on is the closest I will be getting to Rez HD after my Xbox360 RROD'ed (again)...

Arcadius

Banned
Does anyone have a good Rez config that has a steady framerate?

I have a i7 2600 3.4Ghz with 8GB RAM and a GTX 570 1280MB VRAM. It's usually steady enough but when transitioning between layers a drop in framerate and general emulation weirdness occurs which sort of ruins the experience.
Having a flawless emulated Rez with MSAA turned on is the closest I will be getting to Rez HD after my Xbox360 RROD'ed (again)...

Can you explain what type of weirdness? MSAA will typically cause some issues. Also, what EE GS and VU %'s are you getting when the frame rate drops; what speed hacks are you using?

SnowTeeth

Banned
Can you explain what type of weirdness? MSAA will typically cause some issues. Also, what EE GS and VU %'s are you getting when the frame rate drops; what speed hacks are you using?

Essentially when selecting an Area and transitioning between some layers the game crawls momentarily and the sound distorts heavily at the same time. It usually only lasts a few seconds each time it does it but it really destroys the flow of the game. It also can be a bit slow during gameplay when a lot is going on but most of the time it plays well.

Using the start of Area 1 as an example:

FPS is a steady 60fps

EE is fluctuating between 15% and 45% with an average of 25%

GS fluctuates between 10% and 33& with an average of 16%

VU is hovering around between 6% and 13%

These stats don't change when the stuttering occurs.

MSAA is the only HW Hack enabled and the stuttering/weirdness is there without MSAA enabled anyway.

With Speedhacks, Enable INTC Spin Detection, Enable Wait Loop Detection and the MicroVU hacks are enables, though again the same problem persists without speedhacks enabled.

Arcadius

Banned
Right, I remember reading in a post a long time ago in the PCSX2 forums that some games will do some type of over-buffer causing a small slowdown. Sorry for the terminology, I can't remember exactly what was used, but it isn't solvable, least I don't think it is. As a quick test, you can try setting the EE Cyclerate to 2 or the middle setting, it may help with the weirdness.

If anything, I would try running in software mode with 3 threads enabled. To do this, go into the Video Plugin Settings, change the renderer to Direct3D 11 (software) and then make sure you have set the Software Mode Settings (located at the bottom) to 3 extra rendering threads.

If software mode doesn't cause this weird slowdown, it's a hardware type issue like I mentioned above.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I tried both the suggested hardware and software fixes but unfortunately the problem persists. No matter, I guess I'll have to play it on the good 'ol PS2. Anyhow, thanks for your assistance! :)

Hellloooo HolyBaikal!!!!! I'm not playing Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time currently, but I went out to go and try it. According to the PCSX2 wiki, the game should be running and working well. http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Star_Ocean:_Till_the_End_of_Time

I tried to play the game for a few minutes to see if anything weird would happen and I can confirm that everything should be a oh kay!!! =)

There is one issue with the game, but I believe this can be solved with how you use your controller.... which lends to the question. What type of controller are you using for PCSX2?
Hello! ^^;;

Thank you so much. That's great news. I think I'll play Star Ocean 3, now.
And I'm using an XBOX 360 controller.

Arcadius

Banned

Dr. Buni

If you could tell me, what are your EE, GS and VU percentages when you get frame-rate drops. What type of speed hacks are you running? The percentages are located in the "Windows Bar", where it says what version of PCSX2 you're running.
Sorry for the late reply, the game disappeared from my HD, so I had to redump it.

I am having trouble finding the EE, GS and VU percentages. As for speedhacks, I am running those (I have tried the others, but no success):

Lscmlcr.png

Weirdly, the framerate drops in the cutscenes as well as when I am walking in Rabanastre. Why in the cutscenes?

Edit: It seems like I was running an outdated version of the emulator, in which the MTVU speedack was missing. I downloaded a new one, activated it and the game is faster now, BUT the audio is kinda choppy (I am on Dalmasca Estersand now). Any ideas?

Arcadius

Banned
Okay, which version of PCSX2 are you currently running? It would also help if you can tell me your computer specifications; CPU clock speed is important here.

The EE, GS and VU percentages are located here.
FCob.png

VU will only be seen when you use the MTVU hack (multicore one).

I believe that you can use all the recommended speed hacks so; INTC Spin Detection, Wait Loop Detection, mVU Flag Hack and MTVU (Multi-threaded microVU1). All those are safe for this game.

Dr. Buni

The version I am running is 1.2.1.r5873, the one I was running before was 0.9.8.r4600. My specs are i7 2600 (clock speed is 3.40 GHz), r7 260x (2 GB) and 4GB RAM.

Do you still need the percentages? Are they important for the audio issue?

Edit:

20fps when accessing the zodiac license board thingy: http://i.imgur.com/6EuvIIT.jpg Weird, the game is running fine in the overworld, outside of the choppy audio.

Arcadius

Banned
If you can give me a moment, I own International Zodiac Job System, let e see how it runs on my computer and I will try and help you from there on, if you can give me ~10 minutes please.

Edit: Okay I've done some quick tests on my machine. I'd like to move this conversation to the PM's just incase it takes a while and we post back and forth many times. I'll PM you some things I'd like to know.

Someone with good settings for Shadow Hearts 1 ?

I want so much to play it but it's dificult for now, the only solution is Software mode but it's not pretty and i still have sounds problems..

Arcadius

Banned
Thank you it works !

But i still have sounds issues, the musics are in a poor quality.

Can you explain the type of issues you are having? Stuttering, skipping, slowing down? Can you tell me the settings you are using in Config -> Audio (SPU2) -> Plugin Settings.

Also, just to make sure, what are your EE, GS and VU %'s. (Refer to the picture above to locate the %'s)

Thanks!

I'm currently looking for good CRT shaders to use in PCSX2. I'm aware of the integrated methods by pressing F7 and Asmodeans shader suite but I'm not really happy with them.

I like Lottes' CRT shader (which was also ported over to RetroArch). Anyone has any idea on how it coud be used in PCSX2?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm currently looking for good CRT shaders to use in PCSX2. I'm aware of the integrated methods by pressing F7 and Asmodeans shader suite but I'm not really happy with them.

I like Lottes' CRT shader (which was also ported over to RetroArch). Anyone has any idea on how it coud be used in PCSX2?

You can use GeDoSaTo to apply the CRT shader.

Does anyone have experience running Silent Hill 2 and 3 with PCSX2? Is it the preferred method of playing since the HD collection was garbage?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
PCSX2 crashes when I try to use GeDoSaTo with it. I've not yet experimented much with GSDX settings though..

I don't remember exactly how, but I do remember I was able to make settings that got GeDo working with PCSX2.

As a starting point, GeDo is DX9 specific, so you'll need ot set PCSX2 video mode to DX9, and you might need to enable "Intercept Only System DLL's" in GeDo.

Top Bottom