• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

I don't think the controller really matters unless you haven't memorized the 4 main buttons. Even then, the game is turn based and doesn't require any fast reactions.
But yeah, a DualShock (doesn't need to be a DS 4) would be the most "authentic".

Lime

My anisioptric filtering is greyed out. Does anyone know how you can enable it?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was the Allowed 8-bit textures that did it.

kromeo

Is Valkyrie Profile 2 playable yet? I've tried a few times in the past but the screen goes bright red as soon as you get to the forest near the start, I remember reading at the time there was no fix for this..

The laser in my ps2 has long since stopped reading disks :(

Has anyone gotten Ambient Occlusion to work through Reshade?
It's never going to work. I remember trying so hard at the time to get it to work but it seems Gsdx is using a weird depth texture format and consequently rejects any kind of injected depth texture. I tried for 2 weeks when I was working on GeDoSaTo then gave up.

We can only hope there is a mod like Dolphin ishiiruka for pcsx2 someday in the future. Though ps2 and its low poly count would be problem for an algorithm like ssao that relies on face normals

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So how well does Persona 4 work on PCSX2? Is a dualshock 4 the way to go to play the game so button prompts aren't messed up?

Fantastic. Recently played through the entire game on PCSX2. The wide screen patches available are great, they don't skewer the portarits or text bars anymore like the initial versions did.

Only issue you might see is some characters popping up in the 'out of frame' 4:3 area before they are actually supposed to enter the screen since you're viewing more area than the game was designed to show.

So in SMT: Nocturne, I'm seeing a lot of... ghosting, I guess you could call it?

Like a horribly done motion blur or something. It's nauseating, but I can't remember if the original PS2 version was like that or not. Is there a fix or is it just the way it is?

Lime

Is Valkyrie Profile 2 playable yet? I've tried a few times in the past but the screen goes bright red as soon as you get to the forest near the start, I remember reading at the time there was no fix for this..

The laser in my ps2 has long since stopped reading disks :(

Valkyrie Profile 2 works fine, it's only the Lost Forest that's a problem - you have to switch to software mode (press F9) during that section - once you're out of that small level, you should be fine. I am currently playing it right now as a matter of fact.

pcsx22016-04-1601-08-t2u36.png

Small config that you should remember to do (running DX11):

- Alpha hack for cutscenes
- bob tff interlacing
- CRC hack level: Full
- tri-ace boot-up game fix (not sure if it matters)

Depth of field won't work in cutscenes because of the alpha hack. I also get some weird ghosting/bloom thing in the 2D sections, that I don't know how to remove.

PCSX2 needs a depth buffer before any Ambient Occlusion happens.

Dolphin was able to get one, that's why it works there. Not perfect, but pretty good.

If PCSX2 gets one as well it will not be perfect for a while either.

Lime

I just wish there was an easy thing to disable the HUD right now. Dolphin has that UI hack that does wonders, it would be perfect if something similar was present here.

Wondering if anyone can help me. Im trying to run fatal Frame and the screen is juddering up and down really fast. Its like the screen is not still if that makes any sense. is there any way to fix this issue? Can't seen to find to much on google about it.

Arizato

Wondering if anyone can help me. Im trying to run fatal Frame and the screen is juddering up and down really fast. Its like the screen is not still if that makes any sense. is there any way to fix this issue? Can't seen to find to much on google about it.

Try pressing F5 to change Interlacing mode while playing. F5 cycles through the different modes.

Dineren

Banned
Has anyone played through the first four .hack games on this? It bugs me pretty frequently that I got to part 4 and didn't end up finishing it because of other distractions. The compatibility wiki makes it seem pretty promising (aside from the later versions of pcsx2 apparently running at it 200% speed?).

I've been considering hooking up my ps2, but if it's a good experience all the way through I'll just rip my discs and play it on PC.

Dineren

Banned
I decided to go ahead and try .hack//Infection and so far everything is perfect. There was initially some popping in the audio when skipping vo, but switching the default mixing setting in the sound plugin fixed that.

Hopefully it holds up through all four games.

Edit: 12 hours in and it is still working great. I've had one crash when changing the background music on the desktop, but I've changed it many other times with no problems so hopefully that was just a fluke.

diaspora

Anyone else having issues running with with ReShade in Windows 10? For some reason it just doesn't initialize when starting a game.

kuYuri

Anyone who has Persona 3 FES undub version know how to patch the original music into it? I can't find any instructions online.

B.K.

I finally got a PC good enough to run PCSX2. I'm looking forward to playing some PS2 games in HD. I just tried out Xenosaga Episode I and managed to get 55-60fps at 8x native resolution. I wish I could fix the weird shadows.

Trilobit

Gold Member
There seems to be many different ways to extract BIOS from one's PS2, but I would be ever so happy if anyone could tell what the non-fussiest and cheapest way is to do so? I saw one tutorial where you were required to have a LAN-adapter. Another one said that you had to send in your memory card for modification.

I live in northern Europe so I don't know if that makes things harder.

Of course I want all of this to be strictly legal.

evilalien

That link came up when I googled about disabling vibration, but the attachments there aren't available for downloading.

You don't need the attachments. Just go into the controller plugin config in the emulator and remove the big and small motor bindings from pad 1.

bomblord1

Banned
There seems to be many different ways to extract BIOS from one's PS2, but I would be ever so happy if anyone could tell what the non-fussiest and cheapest way is to do so? I saw one tutorial where you were required to have a LAN-adapter. Another one said that you had to send in your memory card for modification.

I live in northern Europe so I don't know if that makes things harder.

Of course I want all of this to be strictly legal.

It's ridiculously difficult lol. The non-fussiest is with a gameshark I believe but those are difficult to find.

What kind of PS2 do you have (fat or slim?)?

Hi, I'm a noob when it comes to make a good setup.My notebook has a GT520M Nvidia card (i know that it's not that great lol), Intel core i5, 2,3 GHz and 4 GB RAM and was wondering if someone could help me with the right options, it would be great to emulate some ps2 games (smoothly, i know that hd setup must be a little harder with what i have)

Thanks in advance!
Valkyrie Profile 2 works fine, it's only the Lost Forest that's a problem - you have to switch to software mode (press F9) during that section - once you're out of that small level, you should be fine. I am currently playing it right now as a matter of fact.

pcsx22016-04-1601-08-t2u36.png

Small config that you should remember to do (running DX11):

- Alpha hack for cutscenes
- bob tff interlacing
- CRC hack level: Full
- tri-ace boot-up game fix (not sure if it matters)

Depth of field won't work in cutscenes because of the alpha hack. I also get some weird ghosting/bloom thing in the 2D sections, that I don't know how to remove.
VP2... I want to play it again, but don't know if my notebook can run it well at all

B.K.

How exactly do widescreen patches work? Do people hack the game and edit the game's camera to make it widescreen or is the picture just zoomed to make it look widescreen?

OmegaJonny

Neo Member
Hi guys,

sorry to be that guy but what are your opinions on how well/if I can run games with this system:

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz
4GB RAM
GeForce GT130M

I'd ideally like to play a wide variety of games.

Hi guys,

sorry to be that guy but what are your opinions on how well/if I can run games with this system:

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz
4GB RAM
GeForce GT130M

I'd ideally like to play a wide variety of games.

Both CPU and GPU are very weak. Some games may run okay (don't expect high rendering resolutions), but most won't run at full speed, meaning not only stutter but actual slower gameplay.

Dr. Buni

..as expected. Thanks, which consoles do you think I can emulate comfortably?
From my experience with a weaker system (my previous one), you might comfortably emulate up to PlayStation 1 games, maybe up to Dreamcast (the games I tried on NullDC ran fine at 60fps on my old computer, but ymmv). If you are counting handhelds too, up to DS will run fine on your computer. I think it would be worth giving the PSP emulator a try as well.

OmegaJonny

Neo Member
From my experience with a weaker system (my previous one), you might comfortably emulate up to PlayStation 1 games, maybe up to Dreamcast (the games I tried on NullDC ran fine at 60fps on my old computer, but ymmv). If you are counting handhelds too, up to DS will run fine on your computer. I think it would be worth giving the PSP emulator a try as well.

OK I'll give the PS1 emulator a try and work my way up, thanks.

So with the 1.4.0 version that's out is there a way I can upgrade it or do I have to uninstall then install the upgraded version. If it's indeed the latter like I expect how do I go about keeping my saves from the games. That's the important thing for me as I want to keep my FFXII save.

Parfait

So with the 1.4.0 version that's out is there a way I can upgrade it or do I have to uninstall then install the upgraded version. If it's indeed the latter like I expect how do I go about keeping my saves from the games. That's the important thing for me as I want to keep my FFXII save.

Copy your memcards folder in the PCSX2 folder and put it in your new install. Just make sure the program is pointing at them correctly and you should be fine.

mdzapeer

I posted this in the Wild ARMS PS4 OT, thought it would a better fit here, compares PS4 emulation and PCSX.

OK played both versions, at first the PS4 looks better, no major issues found. Tired PCSX2 and with software mode it matched the PS2 look perfectly, no issues there. But this was inferior to the PS4 image quality.

Enter Hardware rendering (4X native rendering), text boxes have lines and stuff, fixed by going to HW hacks and selecting Wild ARMs fix. Then the game seem to be running 30 fps, hmm....problem found go to interlace and set to Bob TFF or None (looks bad). Game looks beautiful at this point but the text just does not look nice and is all blocky looking, the PS4 game uses some custom up scaling on the text and UI or is filtered before release probably the lattar as its very specific to the UI textures only. Then I found the built in CRT shader and selected the triangle option which cleaned up the text too on PCSX.

On PS4 noticed during fast camera movement saw some interpolation artifacts which stood out, but were minor and not nuisance.

Conclusion, PS4 is good for no nonsense setup and trophy support. PCSX emulation takes some work but ends up looking amazing in the end and has widescreen. ( I mean REALLY REALLY good).

I will see if i can share the saves between them, would rather play on PCSX as it looks that much better.

Another thing, I think input lag is better on the PS4, not sure though...

PS4

3kgcEqD.jpg

PCSX2

IhOlZZm.jpg

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Are there any plugins with known memory leaks on PCSX2 at the moment? It keeps shutting down on me about 20 minutes into playing something. The issue is so consistent and so isolated to the emulator that I can't imagine anything else being the problem.

Are there any plugins with known memory leaks on PCSX2 at the moment? It keeps shutting down on me about 20 minutes into playing something. The issue is so consistent and so isolated to the emulator that I can't imagine anything else being the problem.

Haven't had any of these problems. Try a different version or SVN. You can get really up to date builds here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Those are like the very latest. Try those and see if you get the same issue.

And hopefully the emulator is not trying to dump anything or record a video on your current settings but I don't know how to check that specifically, never really tried those functions if they might be there.

Trilobit

Gold Member
It's ridiculously difficult lol. The non-fussiest is with a gameshark I believe but those are difficult to find.

What kind of PS2 do you have (fat or slim?)?

Recently learned that I must search to see replies. I have a fat model, aged with grace. Gameshark eyh, must google that.

Top Bottom