• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Game spotted in Live From PlayStation playing on PS4. Might be fake, not sure.

Blanquito

It would make sense for it to be a separate app, with whatever underpinnings it needs built into the firmware. A large number of "stability" updates on the PS3, PSP, and Vita were for updating the emulators to fix bugs and allow more games to be added on the stores. With the PS4's firmware update schedule I think they'd rather update a single app not everyone is using. The downside is you'll need internet to get the app, but I think that's a trade-off most people are willing to make now.

Well, considering that we haven't heard anything about CD-based emulation, it may be entirely possible that you could only download the games anyway, thus the internet being a requirement would be for both the app and the games themselves.

Stike

Disc-based emulation for PS1&2 has been on the fans wishlist for quite some time. It is technically feasible. Concerning disc vs. download-only emulation, I think they would be going for both. The fans who already have their discs would be happy, and newcomers would be enticed to buy digitally released Classics.

Visual enhancements and trophy support (regarding that patent) are possible. I just wonder how they are going to do it - how far the improvements would go. Enhanced visuals on disc-based games? Or only special patches on the Classics?

Yeah, Firmware 3.0 and PSX will tell...

Stike

Maybe. I'd rather have the Online Edition of 3s though.
Edit: Does the PS4 laser even work at the wavelength DVDs worked?

All regular modern BD drives are backwards-compatible down to the CD. Sony just need to add the feature to the firmware.

Edit: Sorry for double-posting...

Disc-based emulation for PS1&2 has been on the fans wishlist for quite some time. It is technically feasible. Concerning disc vs. download-only emulation, I think they would be going for both. The fans who already have their discs would be happy, and newcomers would be enticed to buy digitally released Classics.

Visual enhancements and trophy support (regarding that patent) are possible. I just wonder how they are going to do it - how far the improvements would go. Enhanced visuals on disc-based games? Or only special patches on the Classics?

When is psx and firmware 3?

Danlord

Soon
PSX is December 5th,
FW3.0 is currently in closed beta, so it may release on that time as well.

If Firmware 3.0 has the PS2 Backwards Compatibility support, it has to be out for November, for when the Star Wars games release alongside Battlefront.

Considering how small the 3.0 update is, in terms of new features, it would make perfect sense that a huge feature like this would also be included. Please let it be true

Omikaru

If they are going to let us use our discs, it will likely be a similar solution to how Xbox One does backwards compatibility. Disc is authentication for a downloaded version of the game.

Omikaru

If they are using a wrapper for the games due to trophies and other enhancements then it makes more sense to me to do it that way. Unless they are going to run disc-based games without the enhancements.

This is, of course, if they even let us use our discs in the first place.

Before the PS3 was announced, I had a nice collection of PS1/PS2 games I was keeping in the hopes of BC. And the initial PS3 had BC... but was too expensive. So, I held onto them until Sony dropped the price to a reasonable level. And they did... but also dropped BC with it. So I sadly took my games to the local used game shop and traded them in.

And I never bought a PS3.

But now, if this actually happens. I will march right over to that same shop and rebuy all my favorite games.

Crash Team Racing
Twisted Metal 2/Black
Destruction Derby
SSX Tricky
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Micro Machines
Battlefront 2

And with trophies?!?!!? Could they also add in online with SharePlay? Can you imagine CTR with SharePlay?!?!!? This could be the greatest thing ever!

Before the PS3 was announced, I had a nice collection of PS1/PS2 games I was keeping in the hopes of BC. And the initial PS3 had BC... but was too expensive. So, I held onto them until Sony dropped the price to a reasonable level. And they did... but also dropped BC with it. So I sadly took my games to the local used game shop and traded them in.

And I never bought a PS3.

But now, if this actually happens. I will march right over to that same shop and rebuy all my favorite games.

Crash Team Racing
Twisted Metal 2/Black
Destruction Derby
SSX Tricky
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Micro Machines
Battlefront 2

And with trophies?!?!!? Could they also add in online with SharePlay? Can you imagine CTR with SharePlay?!?!!? This could be the greatest thing ever!

You know, they never dropped PS1 support, only PS2.

Danlord

Like ms reacted to Sony in 2013. Maybe Sony are reacting to Xbox backwards compatibility.

Something like this isn't quickly worked on in response to Microsoft. This would have taken months of planning and research and development to implement.
I wasn't sure if you were serious or joking, since it has been brought up before in a joking manner but it's not something that can be done quickly as reactionary to Microsoft's 360 backwards-compatibility announcement.

No PS3, which could be a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its almost impossible. But MS made X360 BC happen when nobody thought it would. Which is a fact they should be crowing about at every opportunity.

I'm reasonably sure Sony could try, but they probably won't in an effort to keep PSNow alive.

Drayco21

If they are going to let us use our discs, it will likely be a similar solution to how Xbox One does backwards compatibility. Disc is authentication for a downloaded version of the game.

This would be an ideal dream situation for me, personally- I really hope we see something come from this at PSX.

Adding trophy support for every PS1 and PS2 classics title (and that's not accounting for the countlessly deep physical only library that hasn't seen digital rerelease yet) sounds like a herculean effort though, and is the one thing making me doubt that this is coming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its almost impossible. But MS made X360 BC happen when nobody thought it would. Which is a fact they should be crowing about at every opportunity.

I'm reasonably sure Sony could try, but they probably won't in an effort to keep PSNow alive.

MS isn't crowing because they haven't even properly released the firmware to allow BC yet. And if you think that Sony is opting not to support PS3 on the PS4 as a way to push PSNow, then you don't really understand that service or how difficult PS3 emulation would be.

Disc-based emulation of PS2 titles that actually streams from disc could be amazing. I mean I don't think it would ever happen but there's so many amazing PS2 games where I imagine licensing is a massive hurdle that I'd love to play.

MS isn't crowing because they haven't even properly released the firmware to allow BC yet. And if you think that Sony is opting not to support PS3 on the PS4 as a way to push PSNow, then you don't really understand that service or how difficult PS3 emulation would be.

But once they do, MS will have a really big stick to publicly challenge Sony with. We're getting into year 3 of this gen soon and this is the time that the prices start to attract more casual players. Full BC is a great selling point for that crowd.

And I do understand how difficult it would be for Sony. That Cell chip is obviously the a major roadblock and it may never be solved. But it also looks painfully obvious that PSNow is a bad bet, people don't like it, networks aren't fast enough for it, and the price is dead wrong. It's not a crazy leap to think that Sony wouldnt want to even make the effort with ps3 BC because they want to protect a wounded investment. At least if they keep it to being something they might try to get to "in the future" it gives them more time to try and break even on the PSNow investment.

And I'm saying all this as someone who owns a PS4, and I'm generally pretty happy with it.

Toro

Banned
Like ms reacted to Sony in 2013. Maybe Sony are reacting to Xbox backwards compatibility.
SCE doesn't react to anything. They have a plan and they are following it, as you can clearly see since the PlayStation event on February 20th 2013

Elios83

Remember that these are the same people who haven't been able to implement friend login notifications since launch :D
You can't develop and test emulators in just a few months, not to mention all the legal and commercial aspects involved in bringing old games on a new platform.
If this is happening later this year there was certainly a long term plan involved in bringing old classics to PS4 in some way.
But at the same time probably they were taking a wait and see approach and were thinking if it was tbetter for them to use these games as assets for the PSNow service or not.
In this sense you might be right in thinking that Microsoft pushed them to pursue a standard BC approach.

But once they do, MS will have a really big stick to publicly challenge Sony with. We're getting into year 3 of this gen soon and this is the time that the prices start to attract more casual players. Full BC is a great selling point for that crowd.

And I do understand how difficult it would be for Sony. That Cell chip is obviously the a major roadblock and it may never be solved. But it also looks painfully obvious that PSNow is a bad bet, people don't like it, networks aren't fast enough for it, and the price is dead wrong. It's not a crazy leap to think that Sony wouldnt want to even make the effort with ps3 BC because they want to protect a wounded investment. At least if they keep it to being something they might try to get to "in the future" it gives them more time to try and break even on the PSNow investment.

And I'm saying all this as someone who owns a PS4, and I'm generally pretty happy with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MS has never claimed that they'll have full BC. This is going to be game by game, limited by licenses, legal issues, and technical hurdles. I think it'sd awesome and depending on how well it works it could sell me on an XB1.

And PSNow is not a primarily PS4 focused service. The larger market is mobile, tv, and even PS3 has access to it. The service isn't compelling to core gamers like BC is, but they aren't the target market either. So I think that linking a presumed lack of effort on Sony's part with a desire to protect PSNow, is unsupported by the evidence.

Stike

Partially.
The emulator can play the games without any patch present. Only the visual enhancements and trophies could require a special configuration for the emulator.

Although, remembering the Sony patent, all they would have to implement for a game to have trophies is a hash of the DVD to verify which game is which, and then the emulator watches the behavior of the laser motion to figure out when a certain point in the game is achieved. So the emulator only requires some configuration files which are specific to the game, not a full-on patch.

LewieP

There is a massive retro sale on EU PSN, including a load of PS1 and PS2 classics. Sale ends in two weeks.

It would be so very typical of Sony to do a massive sale on these games a month before announcing plans for making them playable on PS4.

There is a massive retro sale on EU PSN, including a load of PS1 and PS2 classics. Sale ends in two weeks.

It would be so very typical of Sony to do a massive sale on these games a month before announcing plans for making them playable on PS4.

At least you should be able to play the games you bought on that PS4. Should.

delSai

Lol yeah, that's kinda what i thought of when i saw the games on sale. Makes me want to buy the Ps2 SMT games right now and not wait for the Ps4 BC announcement and buy them then.

oggob

At least you should be able to play the games you bought on that PS4. Should.

This what I was thinking, fleece a few more sales on these titles. After sale announce PS Classics for PS4 (PSone & PS2)...

Only to find, they need to be specific updated versions, a completely different SKU to the ones on sale at the moment

prwxv3

PSNow is not their BC solution it never was. Its a completely different market. And I dont think you understand how hard (not to mention how much the investment would cost) it would be do make PS4 BC with PS3 games.

If discs is allowed, I have to agree with this. It has to download a version of the game because most likely for patches.

PS1 and PS2 security has been broken for a long time. There are even emulators for the PS2 to run SNES, Genesis, etc... so bringing BC is a potential security risk. Like with the Vita, even though it is contained with the emulator, there are constantly patching all the hacks by either patching the game or the emulator.

Percy

Banned
Expecting any kind of disc based BC on PS4 is some serious pie in the sky shit I'm afraid.

We'll be very very very lucky if we even get BC for classics purchased on PS3 as things stand imo.

Huggers

If I could choose one feature for my PS4 it would definitely be allowing me to play PS1 and PS2 games. I'm more than happy to pay for them again. Not bothered about trophies personally but they'd add huge value to a lot of people

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

My page for PSX Classics don't load, Sony is screwing with me on this.

Mets9

Wait a minute.
Ps2 classic?
Did Sony announce something or I've never seen them on PSN?
Because there's people in here talking like it's for sure RC is real.

TGO

Wait a minute.
Ps2 classic?
Did Sony announce something or I've never seen them on PSN?
Because there's people in here talking like it's for sure RC is real.
Read OP, makes life easier.
or do you PS2 Classic in general? They've been out for years.......Sony just hides them for some reason.

Mets9

Read OP, makes life easier.
I read it.
There's nowhere an 'official ps2 retrocompatibility' announcement, so why are people almost certain of if?
Never seen them on PSN,maybe it's because I check it from ps4? Where can I play them? Ps3?

TGO

I read it.
There's nowhere an 'official ps2 retrocompatibility' announcement, so why are people almost certain of if?
Never seen them on PSN,maybe it's because I check it from ps4? Where can I play them? Ps3?
Yeah PS3, they don't show up on PS4(then again they don't show up on PS3 unless you search)
Was announced ages ago and no you don't need a BC PS3, all PS3'S can play PS2 games off the store just not from disc for some reason.
This thread is about evidence of PS2 games being played on PS4.

Top Bottom