• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 1.60 released. Pulse headset support, mute camera, stability

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I disagree, Sony were great with updates for the PS3, I can't see that changing for the worse with the PS4.

The PS4 has only been out a few months, the patience of some people these days is very disappointing.

i disagree here. With ps3 and plus the updates did seem random at times. Sometimes I would have to manually search the ps plus game that month to download it.

On ps4 iv had many problems even connecting to the store. If i'm in a game I cannot access the store. Even if I close the game app, the store won't load. I have to re start the ps4 and go to the store as my first task in order for it to load.

Im really hoping this firmware fixes many many little issues .

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
i disagree here. With ps3 and plus the updates did seem random at times. Sometimes I would have to manually search the ps plus game that month to download it.

On ps4 iv had many problems even connecting to the store. If i'm in a game I cannot access the store. Even if I close the game app, the store won't load. I have to re start the ps4 and go to the store as my first task in order for it to load.

this is my only issue with PS4 is connecting to store is so random lol, hangs there blue screen a lot then ill do a reboot then straight in aswell

I wish Sony would wake up and allow a Pause/Resume download option, the other day I logged on and 5 downloads hit me, patches and stuff each file was at least 300MB to 1-2GB.

It is sad that such a simple feature is absent, that is my only problem with the firmware.

I disagree, Sony were great with updates for the PS3, I can't see that changing for the worse with the PS4.

The PS4 has only been out a few months, the patience of some people these days is very disappointing.

When is the "right" time for a firmware update to hit? During peak traffic hours?

This must be why it isn't up yet https://twitter.com/tdmoss/status/430556392680738816
It has nothing to do with patience, it's constancy. The "right" time is whatever consistent time they want to set with all their releases so their customer's can have some idea going forward. If they want it to release every game at 12:01am EST or 12:01pm PST, I don't give a shit, just stick to it.

They announced this firmware to be released "tonight." Well, I'm in EST and "tonight" has come and gone and i'm already in the next day.

When they release a game its some time in the late-afternoon usually. For Don't Starve it came out and then it wasn't even free for PS+ users till sometime later in that day.

They must be using the PS3 clock to time these releases.

What time do updates usually get posted 12 PM PST? GCT?
JMMlEqg.gif

Bishop89

How good are these headsets? What does 'Virtual' surround sound mean?
Will I be able to tell what direction someone is coming in an online game for example?

I remember my old sd tv I could tell, but with my viera I had for 3 years I could not tell and not sure I can tell with my w900a either.

Are other headsets better?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Will I be able to tell what direction someone is coming in an online game for example?

I remember my old sd tv I could tell, but with my viera I had for 3 years I could not tell and not sure I can tell with my w900a either.

I had the first 7.1 surround PlayStation branded wireless headphones for the ps3. I mean it sounds nice and works But with ps4 I have no use for them. I plug in any headphones I want on the controller and works great, dont really miss nor care about the "surround sound"

ClearData

Gaf, should I opt for the new Gold Headset or the Pulse Elite variant? They are almost at feature parity save for the bass enhancement on the latter. The Pulse Elite is $15 more on Amazon, oddly enough. I read that the Gold gets 8 hours of battery life but have not seen the figure for the Elite. The Gold looks hideous but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Suggestions? I'm leaning toward the older, more expensive model.

Gaf, should I opt for the new Gold Headset or the Pulse Elite variant? They are almost at feature parity save for the bass enhancement on the latter. The Pulse Elite is $15 more on Amazon, oddly enough. I read that the Gold gets 8 hours of battery life but have not seen the figure for the Elite. The Gold looks hideous but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Suggestions? I'm leaning toward the older, more expensive model.
Many impressions on just about every page in this thread. tl;dr is that the Elites have good sound and some people like the bass gimmick. The cons are lots of them broke for people in the same spot and some find them very uncomfortable (me). Not much can be compared to the Golds as no one has used them yet. The mic is noise-canceling which is really the only added feature I think.

Quasar

I had the first 7.1 surround PlayStation branded wireless headphones for the ps3. I mean it sounds nice and works But with ps4 I have no use for them. I plug in any headphones I want on the controller and works great, dont really miss nor care about the "surround sound"

Yeah. All I really want is a headset for the chat part, I have a surround system for game audio and well the bandwidth for bluetooth doesn't really seem good enough for decent audio aside from voice chat.

RedAssedApe

Banned

its pretty much what it sounds like. There are only two speakers. One in each earcup. It uses software to try and emulate a 5.1/7.1 speaker setup. Its works decently. If you'd ever played COD online and you've come up behind someone and they sudden do a 180 and shoot you in the face they are probably using a headset and heard your footsteps coming from behind them. That is affectionately called sound whoring :)

Many headsets use their own software to emulate 5.1 and 7.1 speaker setup. I think the most popular is Dolby Headphone? Although I think Turtle Beach has implemented their own solution. Sony has its own proprietary thing going on too...IIRC.

jwk94

Yeah. All I really want is a headset for the chat part, I have a surround system for game audio and well the bandwidth for bluetooth doesn't really seem good enough for decent audio aside from voice chat.

Couldn't you just use some iPod mics then?

Malcolm9

I never had/have those problems with my PS3 or PS4.

The PS4 will evolve for the better, just like the PS3 did, I have no doubt about that. People moaning about the time of the updates, does it really affect you that much you can't wait a few minutes/hours/days more?

It's still early days for both the new consoles, but the usual "gimme gimme gimme" attitude is rife these days.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Apple ear buds are horrible, sound is bad and it makes horrible beeping noise when ever someone uses it on the PS4.

yamy mate tried them & it done a horrible feedback noise to rest of us in the party

So this adds bluetooth support for literally one set of headphones?

What in the sweet fuck?

not blutooth but support for the PS3 headsets using the USB dongle

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you're gonna eject a disc, you're presumably going to be getting up to get it out of the system, in which case you could just hit the eject button on the system when you get up :p

I honestly couldn't see which button had the eject symbol on it and most of my games are digital so I haven't memorised it yet :p

dc89

Downloading now. Now, depending on how my PS4 behaves today dictates if I make a thread or not about a little (big) problem I'm having.

Does anyone have direct link to download on PC? My PSN is so slow on PS4.

Mines taking 55 seconds, how long is yours taking?

Derpcrawler

Downloading now. Now, depending on how my PS4 behaves today dictates if I make a thread or not about a little (big) problem I'm having.

Mines taking 55 seconds, how long is yours taking?

Says 39 minutes left. I am on 100Mbps fiber. Xbox took a minute or so to download huge day one update.

Thanks man, less than a minute from PC. I don't get it, considering my PC, One and PS4 are on same Wi-Fi network, and while PC/Xbox One push it to limits PS4 is so slow.

Mine took 55 seconds. Been waiting an etetnity for this update, elites through the controller jack arent as great now the wait for the EQ app.

Rixa

. I don't get it, considering my PC, One and PS4 are on same Wi-Fi network, and while PC/Xbox One push it to limits PS4 is so slow.

Atleast with PS3 wlan was not so good than with cable. Is it same thing with PS4?
Can you test with cable instead of wlan?

Top Bottom