• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

I hope this doesn't stay in beta too long so Digital Foundry can release some comparison videos. Most of the ones posted only show boost mode (or non boost) separately, and as someone who has trouble spotting drops without a frame of reference, I usually can't notice the improvements without having the differences shown in the same video. That said, extreme cases like JC3 are immediately noticeable, especially since I recently played that game for the first time.

Tagyhag

Nice job Brave, weird about Shadowfall, I would have thought it would get a big improvement considering you can unlock the fps.

JP

that settles it then i gotta get a pro
When I tried the game it was boosted to at least a dozen Jasons, I very nearly saved them too but HEY, LOOK EVERYBODY, A FECKIN' BALLOON!!!!

They may well have been a little quicker than the previous Jasons but they still managed to get every one of their stupid assed brains splataccidented out all over the street. I think it's one of those circle of life things, I don't pretend to understand it.

Orayn

Do we know yet if this is using all the silicone or if its just Base mode with the new clocks?

It could be either or both, finding out with any degree of certainty probably requires more knowledge of the PS4 API than we can easily glean from just looking at the results.

Ferr986

QMJrm6X.gif

Lmao

The Pro was already awesome, this is great news, sony needs to do a better job of advertising pro though, kind of surprised how sony seems to be going out of their way to downplay Pro.

EmiPrime

The Pro was already awesome, this is great news, sony needs to do a better job of advertising pro though, kind of surprised how sony seems to be going out of their way to downplay Pro.

They need to first manufacture enough of them to meet demand. 3 months after launch and it's still massively supply constrained.

There are still games coming out without Pro support, most recent notable example is Yakuza 0.

As stated one million times, Yakuza 0 was released before the Pro in Japan.

Games released before Pro don't require a Pro patch, even if their localization arrives after.

Persona 5 is another victim of this. It really deserves a 4k resolution bump but since it released in September in Japan it's not required. We'll have to be happy with the Boost Mode performance increase (if it doesn't break it) which I imagine will make an imperceptible difference to a game that also runs on PS3.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Boost mode is the real deal folks. Tried the PSN game Stories: The path of destinies last night with boost mode on and the game was smooth as silk at all times with none of the jumpy frame rate and choppiness that id see prior.

Hopefully Sony really uses this new feature in Pro marketing as it will definitely move more units!!!

Skux

This is good news that it is providing smoother frame rates. I am guessing, if a game is typically 30fps, it wont boost it to 60?

That's correct. It won't exceed the limitations of the game programming but if a game is intended to run at 30 and struggles, Boost mode will help it at those times where the FPS dips.

jaaz

Not is the US. They're in stock everywhere. Amazon, best buy, etc.

This is only true as of recently. About 3 weeks ago Amazon was severely restrained on the item for months, and only available through 3rd party sellers at very high prices. Best Buy too had some shortages, and I had to physically drive to a local BB to get mine (the horror!).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Glad I click on gaming periodically, this is pretty crazy for an unannounced feature.

Perhaps Sony was expecting more developer participation, so ended up working on this when developer participation was poor?

It made me go from possible purchase someday, to saving up to get one soon.

DBT85

This is good news that it is providing smoother frame rates. I am guessing, if a game is typically 30fps, it wont boost it to 60?

Indeed.

If the game is suppose to target 30 but had drops, it'll drop less or not at all. Same if the target was 60 and its dropping.

Also games that use a dynamic resolution will stay nearer their maximum more.

timmyp53

Glad I click on gaming periodically, this is pretty crazy for an unannounced feature.

Perhaps Sony was expecting more developer participation, so ended up working on this when developer participation was poor?

It made me go from possible purchase someday, to saving up to get one soon.
Participation for pro support is fine and mandated for newer developed games. Can't expect a publisher to Greenlight support on a game that came out years or many many months ago sadly. This is for those games.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Participation for pro support is fine and mandated for newer developed games. Can't expect a publisher to Greenlight support on a game that came out years ago sadly. This is for those games.

Yeah, but it's not exactly a big project to patch a game in this manner. Maybe Sony was forcing the whole approval process for them? That would add to the cost.

Argument is kinda pointless now though, haha.

AmyS

Howdy, thought everyone might like a summary for this long thread. Here's all the impressions posted here, along with some video links. As with all individual impressions, keep in mind that people have differing views of what constitutes a framerate improvement, and sometimes are wrong that there is one at all. (This is especially true since a very large portion of the below impressions come from one user.)

TOTAL GAMES: 64

Amazing work, thank you so much for compiling all of those videos.

NXGamer

The more interesting games are some older ones:

I'm more talking about Until Dawn (uncapped framerate, 20-40fps fluctuation), Killzone SF (30fps cap with one mode, but uncapped with another one), The Evil Within (struggles hard to reach the 30fps cap), Tomb Raider DE (uncapped framerate), all the Musous with uncapped framerates etc. pp.

I really hope we will see some impressions from DF, NX Gamer or VG tech with their tools on these games at some point.
I hear you, and I think many will be surprised with the results...:)

Are there any games with unexpected results like lagging then suddenly bossting up framerates and vice versa, decreased graphics or resolution for some games? We need a list of the games that work well with the update and those who don't

MaKTaiL

How is this great news.
You guys are delusional.
This is mehh at best.
YAY 3 extra fps to replay bloodborne and witcher 3. Get a grip.

If anything this could become bad news. Now for new games, developers can take the easy way out and opt out from making a REAL PRO version with significantly higher IQ, , and just have the system run the game at a steadier fps, with some minor better loading.
Pro Patch is mandatory for all new games.

Please don't let Sony get away with this half gen shit, stay strong, this the horse armor of 7th gen but worse...

...Checked my order, still have to wait until March. Fuck!
Wait so, you're upset about an iterative console and then waiting on Nintendo's console? You know the Pro is more than 10x the power of the Switch (in docked mode) right? Get over yourself lol.

How is this great news.
You guys are delusional.
This is mehh at best.
YAY 3 extra fps to replay bloodborne and witcher 3. Get a grip.

If anything this could become bad news. Now for new games, developers can take the easy way out and opt out from making a REAL PRO version with significantly higher IQ, , and just have the system run the game at a steadier fps, with some minor better loading.

3 fps? This isn't the Xbox One S. We're seeing games that ran around 30 hit 60 if they are unlocked, 110 fps without v-sync in R6S Terrorist Hunt, stable 30 in areas where Bloodborne would drop to 15 fps during combat, etc. Also loading times in some cases half gone down by half or MORE.

Top Bottom