• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

GAMB0

Neo Member
I bet its just 3d and fu@k all else!!

Sort it out Sony!! Really, 6 months to get what should be out of the box features!!
How many people do they have working on this? One!?!?!?

If they aren't careful Sony are going to start pi$$ing people off.
Features?
Games??
Games????

WTF

The PS3 took years to get it to where it is today. Did you have one at launch?

Yes, I did have one at launch and if I remember correctly I could play/rip music, view pictures out of the box. A year in they had most of their media functionality sorted out and iterated from there. I think you are missing my point. I am not asking for fully fleshed out media features, I'm talking about basic stuff. Like I said they haven't even let me rip CD's, view pictures. There is no excuse for it on both sides IMO.

They had it ready to go in the upcoming big 1.80 update, but instead chose to release it next week after MS's announcement of 3D Blu-ray for the XB1. No way were they going to let MS get that first.

This has to be a joke, right?

Nobody could actually believe that.

MS and Sony don't take their cues from each other. There is no way that Sony had this ready to go and then sat on it until MS announced it to one-up them. That's absolute lunacy to believe that.

OK.

They had it ready to go in the upcoming big 1.80 update, but instead chose to release it next week after MS's announcement of 3D Blu-ray for the XB1. No way were they going to let MS get that first.

If they had it ready and they wanted to be first why didn't they release it already?

Sort it out Sony!! Really, 6 months to get what should be out of the box features!!

Features?
Games??
Games????

WTF

That's all I want right now, my system is stable! Makes me laugh though that people are bashing Sony for the apparent out of the box feature when Microsoft still don't have it yet either. The one big thing missing for me right now that the Xbox has is suspend/resume. That's it really.

Dead Man

That's all I want right now, my system is stable! Makes me laugh though that people are bashing Sony for the apparent out of the box feature when Microsoft still don't have it yet either. The one big thing missing for me right now that the Xbox has is suspend/resume. That's it really.

That just means both companies are fucking up.

Wereroku

Yes, I did have one at launch and if I remember correctly I could play/rip music, view pictures out of the box. A year in they had most of their media functionality sorted out and iterated from there. I think you are missing my point. I am not asking for fully fleshed out media features, I'm talking about basic stuff. Like I said they haven't even let me rip CD's, view pictures. There is no excuse for it on both sides IMO.

Since so few people bought the system for those capabilities they didn't consider them important. It sucks that they aren't in but I am pretty satisfied with what they have done so far.

GAMB0

Neo Member

I dont understand why neither company has them out of the box? Its not as if we are asking the world?

How does XB1 and PS4 line up against PS3 anyway? For customization and media playability. And I mean like playing content from USB, UMS, full customization, DLNA, mp3

Who's the better out of the two?

Vashetti

Banned

Features?
Games??
Games????

WTF

lol

mitchman

Gold Member
MP3 is a HTML5 audio standard and HTML 5.0 requires API hooks to a existing DLNA feature.

The HTML 5 <audio> tag does not mandate any particular codec, nor does it mandate any api hooks into any DLNA feature. DLNA is not in any HTML 5 W3C candidate specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/), nor in the WHATWG HTML 5 (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/) living standard document. I know "HTML 5" is being thrown around by many companies because it's "cool" and stuff.
I assume you refer to the "DLNA HTML5 Remote User Interface" feature, but it's more of a DLNA thing than HTML5 (proprietary interfaces not defined in the HTML 5 specifications published by W3C or WHATWG).

Theecliff

Banned

Features?
Games??
Games????

WTF
Oh man, this thread

dcelw540

Features?
Games??
Games????

WTF
troll alert, I can agree with you on features but dude its not even been a year since the playstation 4 has been out.

Dredd97

Yep

And 3D movie wise you can't go wrong with Dredd. Dat slomo

Was actually impressed with the 3D version of Jurassic Park considering it was made in 2D...

The 3D in World War Z is excellent too...
And Prometheus
And the Avengers
Captain America
Spider-Man

However avoid the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 3D movies, because the 3D is practically no existent...

tmtyf

This has to be a joke, right?

Nobody could actually believe that.

MS and Sony don't take their cues from each other. There is no way that Sony had this ready to go and then sat on it until MS announced it to one-up them. That's absolute lunacy to believe that.

while I don't believe they sat on it, I think they rushed release to beat ms. To release 1.74 then this right after puts it in that perspective.

image.php

I'm curious as I haven't tried it yet and can't do it now since I'm on vacation, can you play videos from an external harddrive, also what formats does the ps4 support? My collection is mostly avi and mkv

Daviii

Ditching Cell made sense for some things, but OS/features wise it means hitting a big reset button as a lot of those features were very finely tuned for it. Also, I seem to recall that the whole OS layer is new compared to the hyper visor + GameOS layer they developed with IBM and Toshiba. Hopefully they stick to the same basic OS and CPU architecture and evolve them as they cannot afford to do everything from scratch each time. It would be a huge waste of money.

This.

I'm curious as I haven't tried it yet and can't do it now since I'm on vacation, can you play videos from an external harddrive, also what formats does the ps4 support? My collection is mostly avi and mkv

No you can't play from external drives and there is no streaming of video files yet either. So media capabilities are restricted by the apps available and bluray.

jwk94

My system's still not stable ><

while I don't believe they sat on it, I think they rushed release to beat ms. To release 1.74 then this right after puts it in that perspective.

Nope.

Makes absolutely no sense. MS and Sony don't care about what people on GAF think. They aren't going to rush out a FIRMWARE UPDATE to beat a competitors firmware update.(in caps for emphasis....we're talking about an update here people. This isn't a game. It's not a brand new technology. It's an update.)

Bundy

Banned

Features?
Games??
Games????

WTF
Big lol at this post.....
If you want Games GAmes GAMES (!!!!) visit the PSN Store and buy some.

androvsky

Oh wow that's something I'd expect from Microsoft, not sony. They need to fix that shit

About all you can do is watch videos through the browser if you have Plex. It transcodes pretty much everything but the quality is still quite good. Doesn't work for music though, since the PS4 browser doesn't support audio-only codecs (videos do have sound).

Top Bottom