• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Boost Test Video Compilation Thread

leng jai

Yeah, Battlefront hardly ever felt like it dropped frames hence why I wasn't expecting boost mode to make much difference at all.

Electret

Care to explain what is this then?

https://youtu.be/VJpeOG9Iqn8

As I said, lots of placebo effects here. Same with Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain. There's no frame drops in over 20 hours of footage on the Internet with fps counter.

por1v8r.png

You were saying?

Jedi2016

Can we get a separate list of games with potential crashes or worse performance?

At this point, I'm thinking I'll just turn Boost on and forget about it, unless I actually have one of those problem games.

could someone explain framepacing?
For a 30 FPS screen update - 30 frames (images) are sent to the display every second, but instead of 30 unique frames, you sometimes get the same frame twice.

So it should be 1,2,3,4,5 etc unique frames - but you get 1,2,2,4,5 frames. Frame 2 is incorrectly paced. And so doesn't feel smooth.

True Fire

could someone explain framepacing?

Framepacing is like a heartbeat. Frames should have equal timing. Games with bad framepacing have aarhytmic frames. It creates a weird screen tearing effect. Bloodborne is a really bad culprit of this.

hyp

For a 30 FPS screen update - 30 frames (images) are sent to the display every second, but instead of 30 unique frames, you sometimes get the same frame twice.

So it should be 1,2,3,4,5 etc unique frames - but you get 1,2,2,4,5 frames. Frame 2 is incorrectly paced. And so doesn't feel smooth.

Framepacing is like a heartbeat. Frames should have equal timing. Games with bad framepacing have aarhytmic frames. It creates a weird screen tearing effect. Bloodborne is a really bad culprit of this.

thanks gaf, you da best.

Screen tearing and frame pacing are not the same thing. You aren't getting tearing, which is a new frame drawing before the previous one finishes. Bad frame pacing is the same full frame appearing on screen.

Alright, after trying Dying Light some more and switching between Base and Boost Modes, I can for sure say that in most interiors there's this annoying stutter while in Boost Mode. Made two comparison videos for people to see, however I'm not sure how well I was able to capture just how noticeable it is while playing.
Part 1
Part 2

Kevin

Anyone try Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls with the boost patch?

71f0IZiDzcL._AC_SX430_.jpg

Was looking to buy this but heard the framerates were pretty bad at times. Does the boost patch manage to bring the game up to a stable 30 fps?

j0hnnix

I've noticed much improvement in DS3 and BB, I'm gonna play some rainbow 6 but I doubt the extra boost will help me play better lol I suck at this game.

Any beta testers looked at the PS4 Resident Evil 5 port in Boost Mode? Seemed to be unable to maintain 60fps, wondering if Boost can cover the difference.

X-Factor

Anyone have a beta firmware spare code? I can upload youtube videos quickly for comparison purposes.

I have around 90 PS4 games so I can test a bunch that have not been done yet (for games that do not always run at their intended fps target 100% of the time).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, Battlefront hardly ever felt like it dropped frames hence why I wasn't expecting boost mode to make much difference at all.
The end of the SP mission where you're in an AT-ST had a drop at the end of it every time. Aside from that I do remember some mild drops on 40 player matches in Walker Assault in Endor. They were rare but there were some.

AmyS

So yeah bloodborne performs better

Framerate is not a real issue but it is smoother now

Frame pacing is drastically reduced as far as i can tell. Bloodborne had worse frame pacing problems in certain more demanding areas such as old yarnham. Now the pacing problems seem overall less severe (barely notice while running through areas, while before it stuttered very obviously when running through areas) and more or less the same regardless of area

So framepacing is not fixed, it is not as bad as far as i can tell

Would be nice if DF did a real test though

This is good to hear.

I'll have to play more Bloodborne when this update is rolled out (I'm not code begging).

I still haven't played The Old Hunters DLC even though I bought it.

Can't wait till official release for The Witcher 3. Especially if faster load times are a real thing, and heard quicker menus and inventory.

I don't know if this is in the right thread or if it's related to either the Pro itself or Boost Mode but I tried Slender: The Arrival cause I was bored and I noticed that the lighting and shadows were way off. Like you could see the borders when a different shading occurs.

Can we get a separate list of games with potential crashes or worse performance?
Right now, this is what's been reported:

Dying Light - Added stuttering in some scenes
Grow Home - Bad performance, unclear if worse than regular mode
Psychonauts - Frame drops, may not be new to Boost mode
Slender: The Arrival - Lighting errors
Soma - Crashes or super variable framerate
Tembo the Badass Elephant - Crashes

Errors with these games may not necessarily be due to Boost mode, but then again they could be. Reports differ.

TLZ

Banned
So many placebo effects....

How can someone say Star Wars Battlefront has better framerate if the original game never dropped from 60 fps?

99.9% of the games, except for Rainbow six Siege has no FPS counter, and unless you are reporting 30 fps on a game that runs at 15 fps on the original (like Evil Within or Assassin's Creed Unity) you are possibly saying something with a huge margin of error.

Let's not get cooky here. Some improvements are visible, yes they are. Most of them are going to perform better, yes they will otherwise they wouldn't allow us to turn this option on. But let's wait for further TECHNICAL analysis, not just some new judgment from old memories by playing them 5 minutes

Lichdom has shit performance before. You can even check DF's video to see it. Now it runs much better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Right now, this is what's been reported:

Dying Light - Added stuttering in some scenes
Grow Home - Bad performance, unclear if worse than regular mode
Psychonauts - Frame drops, may not be new to Boost mode
Slender: The Arrival - Lighting errors
Soma - Crashes or super variable framerate
Tembo the Badass Elephant - Crashes

Errors with these games may not necessarily be due to Boost mode, but then again they could be. Reports differ.

Dying Light had a double buffer vsync so I'm guessing that's what's causing the added stutter. In the open world it wasn't an issue because it would always cap at 30 but indoor areas were constantly shifting between 30 and 60. It's probably happening everywhere now.

There's something funny going on with doom. I downloaded the demo, disabled motion blur entirely and played standard then boost mode. Sure enough boost mode seems more hectic and fast paced, this can't be a placebo. I wish i had a framerate counter. Try it out guys. It feels more than 60fps to me.

SURGEdude

Getting some rare corrupted textures in God of War 3. Played for a couple hours happened in 2 small rooms.

Just happened to be playing it lately and it took me a minute to realize it was likely caused by boost mode. Panicked for a second thinking maybe my GPU was on it's way out before I realized.

TLZ

Banned
Right so how can I play games vanilla no patches? Is my only way to disconnect the net?

Getting some rare corrupted textures in God of War 3. Played for a couple hours happened in 2 small rooms.

Just happened to be playing it lately and it took me a minute to realize it was likely caused by boost mode. Panicked for a second thinking maybe my GPU was on it's way out before I realized.

Did you go back without boost mode on? For science.

Dying Light had a double buffer vsync so I'm guessing that's what's causing the added stutter. In the open world it wasn't an issue because it would always cap at 30 but indoor areas were constantly shifting between 30 and 60. It's probably happening everywhere now.
Yeah, that could explain it. Thanks for the info!

BigDug13

So has the Handsome Jack Collection still not been tested? The game has a lot of ceiling space since they added the FOV slider plus the choppy 4 player splitscreen.

Did anyone test MGS5 with boost mode?
I know the game already runs at stable 60 FPS but I was wondering if it can get even higher like Rainbow Six Siege which runs beyond 60 FPS now and reaches 115 FPS in some places.

Top Bottom