• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI demo at Hong Kong event

TheKayle

Banned
Xbox one has an activity feed, also has. Statistics of how many people is playing what game.

he forgot also
flash memory for fast loading
fast switching between more than 2 games/apps (im wrong saying are 5?)
and you can merge multiple records of the same videogame....os the time limit isnt an issue

Reule

I actually really like how simple it looks. I think the UI for XB1 and PS4 both serve their purposes and are pretty responsive as far as I've seen.

kyser73

Well for starters we have the list of features that are missing. STILL can't change your PSN ID, can't customize the background, can't sleep suspend/resume a game, no DLNA support, no MP3 or music CD support, etc, etc.

You're talking about features in the OS, not the UI.

Those are all features that fall on the shoulders of the UI team.

But beyond the basic functionality, I personally see the design as amateur on so many levels, and I'm not even a student of design, but even I can tell this is not *right*. I'm sure actual students of UI design would find a long list of flaws. It's simply not pleasing to my eyes.

Yet you think you're qualified to talk about it?

So it's a subjective opinion that you don't like it aesthetically

callahan09

Neo Member
I liked the XMB because it was simplistic and easy to remember how to navigate to anything I wanted to get to. This looks like it retains that simplicity, but has a little less basic of an appearance, which is pretty nice. It is a bit sluggish loading the data in some instances, but I'm just hoping that's a result of this being in-game, as opposed to just at the system dashboard without the game running in the background. I know that the in-game XMB on PS3 runs insanely sluggishly compared to the dashboard XMB when not in-game. If this is how the in-game "XMB" (whatever it's called now) runs, I'm pretty happy with it.

callahan09

Neo Member
Apple redesigned their entire OS to make it look nicer and more appealing to the eye, anyone that says the UI doesnt matter at all is crazy, it's what grabs your attention, makes you want to use it

The new Apple UI does look nicer than it used to look, but on my Iphone 4s it runs so sluggishly now that I can't wait til I can upgrade. In this particular instance, I take speed and snappiness over appearance any day. Now, that said, I see no reason Sony couldn't keep the speed up and make a more interesting visual UI, but whatever. If it works, is easy to navigate, and is fast, then I don't care what it looks like.

Jhn

I've seen this complaint a lot and I don't get it. Who is spending so much time looking at the UI of any device that they absolutely need to put their personal spin on it? I'm saying this not to challenge but really out of ignorance because to me, this is a non-issue.

Well, let me ask you a question: Have you changed the wallpaper of your pc, or are you perhaps still looking at some generic green rolling hills?

Personally, I spend virtually no time without maximized applications taking up all my screen real estate, so the actual wallpaper gets next to no screen time. Despite this, something in my nature compels me to, perhaps irrationally, immediately change the wallpaper and theme on any new hardware I acquire.
For me, it's actually not about subjective color and graphical preferences as much as it is about a sense of ownership and personalization. It's just something that makes your piece of hardware feel more familiar and comfortable, an electronic "home away from home" if you will.

Translating from Japanese to Chinese. Crazy.

However, that is one ugly as fuck UI. It's pretty basic and uninspiring. I would have expected Sony to go with chromium or something similar or even android. This is just garbage. I would have also expected them to let their American arm design the UI but they let their Japanese arm do the job that's why it looks like it's stuck in 1999.

I don't understand. Chromium and Android's interfaces aren't made for TV at all. Porting over those would be a disaster and if you are going to have to create a interface from scratch, why not start with a more robust foundation, in this case FreeBSD?

Good design isn't about how something looks, it's how it works. A consoles UI needs to be fast and logical. The PS3's XMB was fast, but certain parts weren't logical. I still have problems finding things in the settings sometimes. Everything I have seen from PS4 tells me they are taking a step in the right direction.

Also, information density isn't the end all be all of good design. The sparseness of some of the parts of the PS4 UI is quite intentional. Clarity can remove a lot of user frustration and make a UI much more inviting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The only thing I don't like about this UI is the new wave animation. It just doesn't look as good as the XMB wave. At least not in any of these offscreen videos. Hell, you can see the XMB wave looks better from that static image posted above, it's that great of a design.

Is there a way to change the blue color to something else?

curb

Banned
Well, let me ask you a question: Have you changed the wallpaper of your pc, or are you perhaps still looking at some generic green rolling hills?

Personally, I spend virtually no time without maximized applications taking up all my screen real estate, so the actual wallpaper gets next to no screen time. Despite this, something in my nature compels me to, perhaps irrationally, immediately change the wallpaper and theme on any new hardware I acquire.
For me, it's actually not about subjective color and graphical preferences as much as it is about a sense of ownership and personalization. It's just something that makes your piece of hardware feel more familiar and comfortable, an electronic "home away from home" if you will.

And my answer is, "no". My PC has some geometric design from when I went from Windows 8 to 8.1 and I didn't change it before I updated. I spend all my time with windows maximized since I want to make what I consider to be the best use of my screen size.

I get the ownership thing, I just don't think it's worth getting out the pitchforks for (by some people). I'll feel the sense of ownership of my PS4 when I look at my MasterCard bill and know that it's my money I earned at my job that paid for it.

TheKayle

Banned
I don't understand. Chromium and Android's interfaces aren't made for TV at all. Porting over those would be a disaster and if you are going to have to create a interface from scratch, why not start with a more robust foundation, in this case FreeBSD?

Good design isn't about how something looks, it's how it works. A consoles UI needs to be fast and logical. The PS3's XMB was fast, but certain parts weren't logical. I still have problems finding things in the settings sometimes. Everything I have seen from PS4 tells me they are taking a step in the right direction.

Also, information density isn't the end all be all of good design. The sparseness of some of the parts of the PS4 UI is quite intentional. Clarity can remove a lot of user frustration and make a UI much more inviting.

good design is about also at how it look you talking about interface design ergonomy....and also this having submenus ....dosnt help a lots the human memory ..(that is one of the most important things in the ergonomy of a ui)

TheKayle

Banned
I would not assume PS4's multitasking is limited to one game + one app. Vita supports 6 open apps and I'd reckon on something similar or more from PS4.

so you can switch between more games and apps? really?! this is new to me but cool if true

I would not assume PS4's multitasking is limited to one game + one app. Vita supports 6 open apps and I'd reckon on something similar or more from PS4.

They haven't shown any different though and at this stage its seeming that what we've seen is what we're getting.

If there was any chance of something the PS4 could do to either match or beat XB1, we'd have seen a million articles and threads on it.

For all we know, the internet browser could be the only "app" (is it even an app in the same sense that a Netflix app is?) that can run concurrently (since its made by the people who built the OS), hence it being the only thing we've seen run concurrently.

fiyah

I really hate Metro but the conversational voice commands of the Xbone are awesome. Other than that I don't think the UI is very friendly. I'm on the side of those that love the minimalist design of the PS DM. I fully expect some level of user customization once the machine is launched but thus far the I like the 3 layer design of the UI even tho the middle layer looks sparse. However, less is more and as your collection gets larger I fully expect that you will be better able to find your stuff on the PS4 thru controller navigation than you would on the Xbone.

Right now I think PS DM is the better UI for controller based navigation and Xbone UI is better with voice commands.

Jhn

And my answer is, "no". My PC has some geometric design from when I went from Windows 8 to 8.1 and I didn't change it before I updated. I spend all my time with windows maximized since I want to make what I consider to be the best use of my screen size.

That's cool, I can respect the consistency of your argument and actions. I'm just trying to explain where some of the disappointment regarding the lack of personalization is coming from.

Now, this issue obviously doesn't even come close to changing any purchasing plans, but I would honestly feel a bit let down if this doesn't get patched in somewhere down the line.

TheKayle

Banned
I really hate Metro but the conversational voice commands of the Xbone are awesome. Other than that I don't think the UI is very friendly. I'm on the side of those that love the minimalist design of the PS DM. I fully expect some level of user customization once the machine is launched but thus far the I like the 3 layer design of the UI even tho the middle layer looks sparse. However, less is more and as your collection gets larger I fully expect that you will be better able to find your stuff on the PS4 thru controller navigation than you would on the Xbone.

Right now I think PS DM is the better UI for controller based navigation and Xbone UI is better with voice commands.

why is a better ui for controller based navigation!?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
so you can switch between more games and apps? really?! this is new to me but cool if true

On Vita? You can have a game + 5 apps open. Obviously you don't have voice recognition on Vita, so switching is as 'instant' as pressing the home button and swiping to another open app.

Maybe on PS4 you'll be able to jump to another open app with voice recog ala X1, we'll see. On PS4, unlike Vita, it seems it'll automatically jump to the last used app when you hit the home button, which saves a step if you just want to flick between the game and that last app.

The new Apple UI does look nicer than it used to look, but on my Iphone 4s it runs so sluggishly now that I can't wait til I can upgrade. In this particular instance, I take speed and snappiness over appearance any day. Now, that said, I see no reason Sony couldn't keep the speed up and make a more interesting visual UI, but whatever. If it works, is easy to navigate, and is fast, then I don't care what it looks like.

The PS4 is so powerful though. It's not like the PS4 couldn't have a similar UI to the Xbox One and still not be speedy and snappy. The Xbox One is so much weaker but it's UI is slick and fast. No excuses for minimalist UI for faster performance!

If there was any chance of something the PS4 could do to either match or beat XB1, we'd have seen a million articles and threads on it.

That's strictly your assumption.

You do realise that aside from the one-time jab made by Adam Boyes at the Brazil event, and some social media people posting images ( that quickly gets removed anyway ), Sony had spoken zilch about power comparison or resolution differences, even though there were a million opportunities for them to weigh in and shame the Xbox in power difference.

It's always been MS who are defensive on the power difference. We've got comments from Spencer, Whitten, Penello, etc. No official Sony rep actually came out to say anything on it.

TheKayle

Banned
Right there with you...love a good clean, minimalist look

isnt minimalistic at all eh..just telling u...

is this minimalistic

PS4UI.jpg

or this?
XboxOneUI.jpg

i think that jus tppl have confused idea about the design

This looks like an intern put it together. It's pretty disappointing but not horrible. If they were going for the minimalist approach then they missed the mark, this just looks sterile and reminds me of the generic screensaver I used on my PC back in the late 90s.

curb

Banned
That's cool, I can respect the consistency of your argument and actions. I'm just trying to explain where some of the disappointment regarding the lack of personalization is coming from.

Now, this issue obviously doesn't even come close to changing any purchasing plans, but I would honestly feel a bit let down if this doesn't get patched in somewhere down the line.

Yeah, it's not a point to live or die over. Sony seems fairly responsive these days so if enough people want this, they'll likely add that in. Obviously they have to be very selective of their initial priorities for launch but who knows what else they'll add once the big features are all in place.

spannicus

This looks like an intern put it together. It's pretty disappointing but not horrible. If they were going for the minimalist approach then they missed the mark, this just looks sterile and reminds me of the generic screensaver I used on my PC back in the late 90s.

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776ff9e8970c_zps2d3737c9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Windows media center it reminds me of.

Doesn't look all that great, but at least it looks easy to navigate.

The only thing I can say I liked was the trophies appearing at the top when selected. That's about it.

why is a better ui for controller based navigation!?

The XMB is better as a controller based UI because of the layout. Fundamentally it is a horizontal main x-axis containing major categories with vertical y-axis containing the minor categories. It's simple and very intuitive. Most PS3 users have committed every important area/app to muscle memory as someone said earlier.

Kimosabae

Banned
ITT: People get completely bedazzled by the glitz, glamour, and strobing lights of Content Experience's flighty performance set pieces; completely forgetting about the humility they originally fell in love with regarding the Red-E's.

Definitely a bit bland, especially compared to the XBox One's UI, but I'm happy with simple and functional.

I also don't mind the blue color they chose as the default background, but I will be very disappointed if the ability to customize it isn't patched in down the line.

Lady Gaia

Well for starters we have the list of features that are missing. STILL can't change your PSN ID, can't customize the background, can't sleep suspend/resume a game, no DLNA support, no MP3 or music CD support, etc, etc.

Those are all features that fall on the shoulders of the UI team.

Nonsense. If you think the part of suspend/resume that's hard is the UI, that makes it hard to take anything else you have to say on the subject seriously.

But beyond the basic functionality, I personally see the design as amateur on so many levels, and I'm not even a student of design, but even I can tell this is not *right*. I'm sure actual students of UI design would find a long list of flaws. It's simply not pleasing to my eyes.

Design is part taste, part functionality. I work every day with world-class designers and this looks pretty well thought out and functional. It's not unnecessarily flashy and does a good job of letting you move through various levels of detail. I'm looking forward to hands-on time but I'm optimistic so far. As for the aesthetics? It fits in with the brand they're establishing for the PS4, which will be pretty immediately recognizable. So I think it will appeal to those who find the console attractive in the first place.

madmackem

he forgot also
flash memory for fast loading
fast switching between more than 2 games/apps (im wrong saying are 5?)
and you can merge multiple records of the same videogame....os the time limit isnt an issue

You can only do two games and those games have to be digital titles.

isnt minimalistic at all eh..just telling u...

is this minimalistic

PS4UI.jpg

or this?
XboxOneUI.jpg

i think that jus tppl have confused idea about the design

Design can be personal. I have some professional and personal design experience (never worked in the industry) and yes... i personally see this as minimalist. There is a great balance of used to un-used space (white space or air) and the font fits well with the weight of the lining. The background is muted and there are nice simple gradients that blend areas well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The basic dashboard navigation seems fairly similar to Xbox. Bunch of squares, main screen focuses on your recent activity (Xbox in a grid, PS4 in a line), each icon gives you some additional info on it when you highlight it.

I like the double tap of the PS button to flip between game and last app.

Top Bottom