• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 confirmed raytracing

Mista

Banned
At least put some effort in creating a thread

Here:

IO Interactive lighting artist Stefania Hernandez has said that the PlayStation 5’s ray tracing technology will help to create more detailed 3D environments, utilizing “accurate light bounces, reflections, and shadows.”

Speaking to GamesRadar, Hernandez explained the difference between current-gen and next-gen technology in terms of realism:
With the current-generation tech, a lot of the in-game reflections are made using ‘reflection spheres,’ which are not very accurate. When placing a light in a scene we add additional ‘light bounces’ to make it look believable. The new ray tracing technology produces accurate light bounces, reflections, and shadows bringing out many of the details in 3D environments. This makes the overall picture look and feel much more realistic.

Lighting plays a big role in setting the mood and feel of a game and I believe this can help towards a more immersive gaming experience for the player. I believe that we are nearing a point where it will be possible to get a visual gaming experience much closer to the one currently achieved only by pre-rendered scenes.

Panaphonics

Banned
Mark cerny , the architect of ps5, already confirmed hardware raytracing specifically to wired.

did we think he was lying ?

come on now . Ofcourse it has 😂

You have to listen carefully. He said „accelerated“ ray tracing.
So, it doesn’t use a dedicated chip for ray tracing. Other resources are used for ray tracing. And that’s the problem here.
Xbox Series X has a dedicated chip which only purpose is ray tracing, whereas the PS5 does not.

Grinchy

Banned
I have a love/hate relationship with the time period before a new generation begins and the year or two after.

It's really fun to watch all the activity and console warring, but it can also be really annoying. We have so many threads and posts about the power differences and abilities of two consoles that haven't even revealed their specs yet.

At least put some effort in creating a thread

Here:

IO Interactive lighting artist Stefania Hernandez has said that the PlayStation 5’s ray tracing technology will help to create more detailed 3D environments, utilizing “accurate light bounces, reflections, and shadows.”

Speaking to GamesRadar, Hernandez explained the difference between current-gen and next-gen technology in terms of realism:
You can help me elaborate thats fine but im not a journalist or reporter here im a normal bloke simply putting a thread " why so serious!"

So, it doesn’t use a dedicated chip for ray tracing. Other resources are used for ray tracing. And that’s the problem here.
Xbox Series X has a dedicated chip which only purpose is ray tracing, whereas the PS5 does not.
Lol u need to go listen to the scarlet video where they talk about it . They exactly say hardware accelerated ray tracing as well for xsx in e3 2019 video.
They will both be using what Amd has next year . Book it

I have a love/hate relationship with the time period before a new generation begins and the year or two after.

It's really fun to watch all the activity and console warring, but it can also be really annoying. We have so many threads and posts about the power differences and abilities of two consoles that haven't even revealed their specs yet.
Im not console warring here im just confirming that the rumours about ps5 not supporting raytracing are false, nothing to do with xbox we all know it does raytracing already.

Mista

Banned
You can help me elaborate thats fine but im not a journalist or reporter here im a normal bloke simply putting a thread " why so serious!"
None of us are journalists too but everything is there in the source you listed. It’s not being “serious” it’s about making a proper thread that’s all :)

Grinchy

Banned
Im not console warring here im just confirming that the rumours about ps5 not supporting raytracing are false, nothing to do with xbox we all know it does raytracing already.
Oh, I'm not trying to go after you personally or anything. Just burping a random thought out into words.

Where u born in the 90s because if u where ud understand ehat accelerating means, gpus where called 3d accelerated graphics cards and used an agp port accelerated graphics port and there were 2 kinds of 3d there was software 3d and accelerated hardware 3d. Theyve done raytracing on ps4 and xbox one using software, its the ps5 and the series x which will use accelerated hardware raytracing.

I know but recent rumours claimed ps5 wont support it n they made jokes that itll only be ray traced audio

Not rumour

Just a desire/sexual fantasy of a deluded Xbox fanatic running accounts on Twitter having that komachi "reveal" as a base for his ridiculous conspiracy Theory that is Just heavily anti Sony.

Guy Said PS5 will be like 8tf with no Ray tracing whatsoever wich contradicts many official claims including from the PS5 creator himself.

ALL that shit posted lately is getting beryond ridiculous and Sony engineering team must bê laughing hard at this

Yeah, it's amusing, up to a point, but also so much confirmation bias from both sides. I'd like to think arguing about the specs would be more meaningful once we really know the specs, but maybe that's just me.
Specs have always been similar the 360 n ps3 both power pc both 512mb both similar same with ps4 n xbone only diff is xbome 900p n ps4 1080p,

what makes people think theyll be any defferent this time, theyll both be same flops maybe a decimal "." apart, if normal people like us can get rumours then emgineers from both sony n microsoft get legit info about each others consoles i bet they even discuss this things over lunch!

Not rumour

Just a desire/sexual fantasy of a deluded Xbox fanatic running accounts on Twitter having that komachi "reveal" as a base for his ridiculous conspiracy Theory that is Just heavily anti Sony.

Guy Said PS5 will be like 8tf with no Ray tracing whatsoever wich contradicts many official claims including from the PS5 creator himself.

ALL that shit posted lately is getting beryond ridiculous and Sony engineering team must bê laughing hard at this
Didnt penello also say itll be 8-9.2 flops

Don’t think so . I mean as a PlayStation fan I would love to be wrong but eh

As far as how many tf it goes I honestly don’t care if it’s lower or higher . It’s the game that counts and the talent behind it
Theyll both have about the same flops theyll both have the same vram amount, theyll both use ssds as virtual ram they wont be worlds apart difference would be services, i.e gamepass, haptic feedback on ps5, bk compatibility, exclusives. I think the hardware would be same but its the experiences that will determine the better console

TLZ

Banned

2019%252F04%252F12%252Fd7%252F87bbadf6ba42450cba38804a04599435.39253.png%252F1200x630.png

//DEVIL//

Theyll both have about the same flops theyll both have the same vram amount, theyll both use ssds as virtual ram they wont be worlds apart difference would be services, i.e gamepass, haptic feedback on ps5, bk compatibility, exclusives. I think the hardware would be same but its the experiences that will determine the better console
Even if the hardware is the same . The price won’t simply because Sony can’t afford to lose lots on units unlike MS .

I am abit sure based on just educational guess the ps5 gonna be weaker but not that it matter to me much

thelastword

Banned
Not rumour

Actually it's good, let them think PS5 will be weak and featureless come 2020......Just like they did prior to 2013......'PS can never beat XBOX
in power and all that Jazz"......With such delusions, it will hit harder for the second time when PS comes on top with better hardware and unique features both hardware-wise and software-wise (OS)…...

Hell, some guy is already spreading FUD that PS5 will be around Lockhart's power, when just before last week, everybody thought Lockhart was cancelled. We're back on the 8-9TF train from Penello and Leadbetter, we deny everything Mark Cerny has said and choose to believe leakers or people who have no vested interest in PS hardware...…..The way things are going, soon someone will say PS5 is around XBONEX power at 6 TF, it's just pure lunacy and FUD at the moment......

LostDonkey

I don't even know what Ray Tracing is. I'm still blown away by current gen graphics though so any upgrade will be great.

It means that we can now have accurate depictions of Jamie Foxx playing the piano that are indistinguishable from real life.

The more flop ons the machines can produce the better the glaze on the glasses.

Even if the hardware is the same . The price won’t simply because Sony can’t afford to lose lots on units unlike MS .

I am abit sure based on just educational guess the ps5 gonna be weaker but not that it matter to me much
Ps3 outsold 360 besides being kore expensive its not the 600$ myth that got ps3 into trouble it was the ps3s lack of games at launch and ps3s underperformance in multiplats vs the 360 due to its complex archutecture, both consoles can be sold at 600$ and theyll still sell millions more. Ive heard this time and time again even people said nobody would buy an iphone 4 at 500$ and they sold like hot cakes n they said again nobody would buy an iphone without a headphone jack and a button at 1000$ and they still sold the motherfucker!... Its never been about the price its the service everybody wants a ps5 and a god of war.

Last edited:
Actually it's good, let them think PS5 will be weak and featureless come 2020......Just like they did prior to 2013......'PS can never beat XBOX
in power and all that Jazz"......With such delusions, it will hit harder for the second time when PS comes on top with better hardware and unique features both hardware-wise and software-wise (OS)…...

Hell, some guy is already spreading FUD that PS5 will be around Lockhart's power, when just before last week, everybody thought Lockhart was cancelled. We're back on the 8-9TF train from Penello and Leadbetter, we deny everything Mark Cerny has said and choose to believe leakers or people who have no vested interest in PS hardware...…..The way things are going, soon someone will say PS5 is around XBONEX power at 6 TF, it's just pure lunacy and FUD at the moment......
Both sony and ms know about each console very well its y they always come out similar its fanboys who have silly wet dreams and the industry feeds on that.

DJ12

That's a fine attitude to have but you know full well if ps5 is more powerful it will be 6 months before those people return. Probably when df do their first face off when a game with full RT on ps5 and reduced RT on Xbox runs at 58fps and 60 FPS respectively.

thelastword

Banned
That's a fine attitude to have but you know full well if ps5 is more powerful it will be 6 months before those people return. Probably when df do their first face off when a game with full RT on ps5 and reduced RT on Xbox runs at 58fps and 60 FPS respectively.
Then ironically, after all this RT hoopla, in your scenario, they will say RT does not matter, "framerate is king" again........Right now, resolution is more important over framerate to said persons, unless Sony mentions 8k, and well, all hell breaks loose.....What a world...

Then ironically, after all this RT hoopla, in your scenario, they will say RT does not matter, "framerate is king" again........Right now, resolution is more important over framerate to said persons, unless Sony mentions 8k, and well, all hell breaks loose.....What a world...
They already confirmed 8k 120fps

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...s-ray-tracing-ssds-ps4-backward-compatibility the machines will have more than 128gb ram by using the ssd as vram aka ssg this why theyll achieve 8k.

thelastword

Banned
They already confirmed 8k 120fps

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...s-ray-tracing-ssds-ps4-backward-compatibility the machines will have more than 128gb ram by using the ssd as vram aka ssg this why theyll achieve 8k.
I have no doubt, we will have indies and AA games at 8k native...….I expect lots of 8k CB for bigger games as well......3840 x 4320 as a base to 8k CB is what we will get.....The IQ via supersampling to your 4k native screen if you don't have an 8k TV will be incredible......Goodbye Jaggies......I think at that resolutions we wont be able to discern CB artifacts since that technology will be improved by leaps and bounds as well beyond the huge rez baseline for CB...

Dory16

Banned
There’s no news here. Bobody serious doubted that PS5 would do raytracing. As a matter of fact we can see raytracing in action in the snippet of Godfall gameplay that has leaked.
The question is HOW it will do it. The sentence “it’s accelerated in the GPU” by Cerny is vague enough to make the recent rumour that Sony has a non AMD solution for raytracing plausible. Of course it would raise the question of how it stacks against RDNA2 built in dedicated raytracing chips.
And that’s all what the suspense is about.

Top Bottom