• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 slim still has production issues :(

Dir your first PS5 also had such issues?

• It was silent (no issues)

Votes: 67 71.3%
  • Coil wine (returned it)

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Coil wine but kept it

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Other issues (description in the thread)

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters

Allandor

Well, just bought a brand new PS5 slim and it already gets on my nerves :(
First impression was good. It was silent while getting the data of my PS4 Pro. But just after starting Astro bot, my wife immediately complained about a loud noise in the background. Well I heard it too but thought it might not be a problem if I increase the sound systems volume a bit. But well, didn't work for a long time and the sound is getting on my nerves.
Tried a few ps4 games in the hope that at least those wouldn't trigger the same issue, but well also coil wine as soon as the game starts.
My wife even complained about the sound when she was in another room.

Is there any chance that Sony at any point will enhance their production quality?
My PS3 had already the loud noise which disqualified it even as a br player for me. Well xb360 was also not silent at those times, but it hadn't this high frequence tone my ps3 had.
Ps4 was also just to loud to really enjoy playing on it. Especially my PS4 pro (bought both used so couldn't return them) ...

And well I waited a while after the initial release because I hoped for better quality and a smaller PS5.. well seems like I must return it and hope the retailer doesn't make a problem and gives me one without this problem.
At least I had no luck with Sony consoles in 3 generations so far. My PS2 on the other hand still runs, well is loud but doesn't make this high frequency sound.

Also tried to record the sound but my smartphone seems to almost ignore this frequency.

So did your initial PS5 had the same issue (coil whine)?

//DEVIL//

Return it and get cfi 1200 series if you can. Used or new whatever you can get

Coil whine aren’t bad in these units but there is no fan noise at all

Also, coil whine is here to stay there he no avoiding it. Just some companies use different methods to try and lower it.

Fredrik

My PS5 is louder than the PC I just put in the living room. But I don’t think it’s coil whine, the noise has a constant frequency, coil whine is usually fluctuating in frequency. Maybe it’s just bad fans?

Soodanim

The manufacturing roulette is something that puts me off consoles. At least when I build I can buy parts to help dampen noise and the modular nature of it means swapping out parts doesn't mean replacing the entire machine.

One of the things that put me off the 360 I had for a couple days was how annoyingly loud it was, even when behind the TV.

They don't pay the 50 cents or whatever for the blue stuff that's squirted around the big capacitors to prevent the micro-vibrations which is the cause of the buzzing. So I'd argue it's a design flaw rather than a QA issue, if somehow you get one that doesn't buzz you are very lucky, as it's not intentionally silent. By comparison every single xbox series console has this, so if you get a buzzing xbox then you really are unlucky.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Every GPU has coil whine nowadays, when you increase the frame rate it gets worse, try playing a 120hz game on your PS4 and you'll see
I returned 4 GPUs because of this but in the end all of them had it
The higher the clocks the worse it gets

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
My PS5 is louder than the PC I just put in the living room. But I don’t think it’s coil whine, the noise has a constant frequency, coil whine is usually fluctuating in frequency. Maybe it’s just bad fans?
My PS5 might be the same, when playing a game there's a constant noise. It goes the instant you return to the dashboard though.

Tbh it's not so bad, but because I had an Xbox One, One X, Series X before it it seems like quite a while since I had a console that made any noise at all.

I don't know if the fans do instantly kick up a gear when you go to a game or if it's coil whine though.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Its Coil housing vibrating and rattling at high frequencies, a partial solution is to apply a gooey material on the housing of the coils /MS did that to the XBOX motherboard), but that's also not a 100% fix, as the foils inside the coils housing could still be vibrating/rattling.

Best solution is, drill a hole in the Wall behind your TV (if there is a room you have access to is available) and route a HDMI cable to the TV from said room (with the console) and enjoy silent operation of any PC/Console. That that in my last flat and it was glorious.

High power electronics always have a chance of producing coil whine, regardless of "quality".

Fredrik

My PS5 might be the same, when playing a game there's a constant noise. It goes the instant you return to the dashboard though.

Tbh it's not so bad, but because I had an Xbox One, One X, Series X before it it seems like quite a while since I had a console that made any noise at all.

I don't know if the fans do instantly kick up a gear when you go to a game or if it's coil whine though.
For me it’s literally the most annoying on the dash, once a game is playing it usually gets drowned by the sound unless it’s a silent scene. I hear the noise the second I press the power button, my hearing is crap and I have tinnitus but I still hear it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
For me it’s literally the most annoying on the dash, once a game is playing it usually gets drowned by the sound unless it’s a silent scene. I hear the noise the second I press the power button, my hearing is crap and I have tinnitus but I still hear it.
Oh right I that does sound different.

It is annoying either way though, it's surprising to me that people don't appear to care about this sort of thing more, enough for Sony to have eradicated it on the newer machine.

Perhaps the design isn't all that different. I mean, it's not much smaller, so probably.

demigod

My PS3 had already the loud noise which disqualified it even as a br player for me. Well xb360 was also not silent at those times, but it hadn't this high frequence tone my ps3 had.
Ps4 was also just to loud to really enjoy playing on it. Especially my PS4 pro (bought both used so couldn't return them) ...

Well now this is just bs. The 360 was a fucking jet engine. If you managed to somehow get the PS3 to be louder than your 360, its your setup that's wrong.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I must be going deaf I can't hear shit out of my PS5 and I can't hear shit out of my 4090.

I have the last revision of the original PS5 before the slim replaced it and it is very quiet. Doesn’t make any coil whine and the disc drive is pretty quiet as well. Doesn’t heat up much either. I think I just got very lucky because in the past I have had some noisy systems.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Never had a single issue with either my OG or my Slim. My girl’s is silent as well.

Have two launch systems. My first one the ethernet port died on, so I just use that one upstairs on WiFi only now. The second can get a little loud, but it's nowhere near the Saturn V liftoff that the PS4 Pro was.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
After the PS4 Pro, I started paying attention to customer reviews. If there are this many complaints, they must be true. I'm not considering getting a PS5 yet, but if I do, I probably won't get the slim version.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Most PS5s have some form of coil whine under load, but for most people it is barely noticeable.
If yours is so loud that it overshadows the game sound and your wife can hear it in another room then you should probably just return/replace it.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I have an issue where the ssd gets too hot and the fans kick in crazy for 30 seconds. I’m using their recommend ssd also so it’s weird.

SenkiDala

Damn I sold my OG PS5 (a 2022 version) that made no noise, even in intensive gaming session. I want to buy a PS5 Pro at release (couldn't really stand FFVII Rebirth in that state), I hope there won't be any problems on PS5 Pros. After all, the PS4 Pro didn't have any cooling probl... oh shit.

Joke aside I'm lucky I currently play on my PS4 Pro (TLOU2 edition) and this is very silent, and as I play it on my office desk, my head is 50cm away of the console and I can confirm this is very silent (except when installing games).

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I know some people get this so im not saying it doesnt exist, but for those of you that have this, exchange your system if you can. No need to keep it if its so loud.

My nearly launch unit is silent and has been since the day i got it....even after long gaming sessions id have to put my head close to it to hear a barely audible fan sound.

Bojji

Gold Member
No coil whine on my 11xx model. It only gets slightly louder in heavy games (fan noise) and that's it.

Xbox is the best designed console this gen (maybe ever) - dead silent all the time.

Hrk69

Gold Member
There are always going to be units (not only exclusive to game consoles) that fail or have other issues

Doesn't mean necessarily that there are production issues

Last edited:

Facism

My slim has some fan noise that seemingly modulates in tone, but it's not something i can hear over the TV. Much better than the PS4, which went into airplane mode and whined even when watching netflix or prime. Thankfully the slim is dead silent when doing anything other than gaming.

Only thing that really annoys me is that I've got to take discs out whenever I'm not using them, otherwise the drive randomly spins up for 30 seconds to a minute and it's loud as fuck. Why does it even need to do that? Just stfu when I'm not playing a game. You don't need to spin up 4 times whilst I'm watching Dune.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's a production thing since ever, man

Sorry, but you need to wait a year or so to get the quieter console. To. Every. Console.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My launch has a slight whine you can only really hear if you put your head next to it.

My other disk none slim is pretty much silent. But that's the last revision before the slim.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
After the PS4 Pro, I started paying attention to customer reviews. If there are this many complaints, they must be true. I'm not considering getting a PS5 yet, but if I do, I probably won't get the slim version.
People are far more likely to be vocal when they have an issue compared to when they don’t, just saying.

Top Bottom