• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Free PS+ Hidden Gem Alert! - Orcs Must Die! Unchained

WHY IS THERE NO OT FOR THIS? PART DEUX

Click img to download game:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ined/cid=UP2184-CUSA01680_00-OMDUNCHAINED0001

Orcs Must Die Unchained is Free 2 Play variation of the award-winning Orcs Must Die action tower defense gameplay to a whole new level with three-player team-based gameplay.

UPDATE: This deal expired. Pack is not available anymore.

The OMDU Plus Pack is a separate download available exclusively for PS Plus members and contains a number of in-game items valued at over $20. The full list of bonus items includes:

1,250 gold
8,000 skulls
Maximilian Lucky Tunic Skin
Gabriella Violet Vintage Skin
Dragon Guardian
100 Potions of Rage
100 Potions of Health
10 Scrolls of the Unchained
10 Scrolls of Slow
1-week Battle Pass

Click img to download Pack:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pack/cid=UP2184-CUSA01680_00-PACK020000000000

Yeah yeah yeah, its a F2P game, but its been generous so far and this pack is a nice boost to unlock some characters.

This game is pure crack. Its been about 6 days and i've probably put in about 40+ hours into this game. Pretty much dropped all other current games i've been playing and have been playing this constantly. Its not slowing down since i'm always unlocking new characters, traps, and upgrades.

I know this game is actually pretty old, but the game's community seems very active, Its easy to find a game within seconds, yet theres no presence of this on GAF.

Anyone else playing this or played this?

I played it and enjoyed the concept but it had a terrible framerate and seemed very very f2p/MT heavy. Even outside of grinding for new things and upgrades it had consumables...

I'd rather just buy orcs must die 1 or 2 and play those I guess

AndersK

Definetely a good game in the genre. Only thing i'll hold against it, is that my tower defense itch mostly need scratching when i'm on the go, which means phone apps are ideal.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Didn't even know the game was on PS4 in any form. Will grab that package too. Thanks for the heads up.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
LOL@ I thought no one cared on GAF, so I stayed quiet

I created a thread about how great F2P games are transitioning to GaaS (Games as a Service) and become the middle tier that's been lacking in the industry

Paragon, OMDU, Warframe, Paladins are my Daily Login and play a hour or two for each lol

So far OMDU is fucking hilarious. The carnage that ensues, the way to setup traps and leveling up, game is so much fun.

I've been playing since release on PS4 and I'm already level 41, 100 being the cap.
I grinded Apprentice for way too long earning all the chests and 5 starring the maps with almost all Heroes possible (missing only 4, 12,000 Skulls each ones) by the time I hit War Master I was way ahead, but game still puts up a challenge

Cool thing is the Daily Quests and Chests rewarded to which tier you have unlocked. So me being 40+ I'm earning 2 Rift Master Chests for past few days and earning boatloads of traps to level up
Trying to get the ones I use the most to level 7 and slowly work my way down the traps line. I have like 15 traps that could be level 3+ but would be a waste cause that a skull sink not needed until that trap in necessary.

Send a friend invite if you want to play games, I'm always playing daily, same PSN name as GAF name.

Bought the 2 9,000 Skulls Heroes, down to 20,000 Skulls.
Saving Skulls at the moment cause I have a huge roster to play with, no reason to buy anymore, saving Skulls for upgrades

I did spend $20 on the shortcut and earn 6 Heroes, gold, and a pass just to get ahead a little, it's worth it if you don't want to grind away in the same difficulty for awhile till you build enough Skulls to buy the roster.

Only thing that's been aggravating has been the multiple crashes or server hang ups that you have to quit the game and restart for matchmaking to work again. Also Fuck Kobolods and all those little Fast motherfuckers ruining my 5 stars! by hitting the Rift. So demoralizing one runs past you and you know if you chase all others will run amok, then Rift point drop to 24... GRRRRRRR!!!!

Also the orcs have the funniest death lines possible
Heard one where I toasted it on a Brimstone Trap and his ashes crumbling saying "I'm coming Elizabeth!", l howled way to hard at that visualization and saidline

dinoroar

Banned
I downloaded this over the weekend and then deleted it when it didn't seem to have any multiplayer. Am I correct in this? The game sounded like the perfect co-op horde thing, which is what I wanted.

I might eventually try this but I've been busy with Dungeon Defenders 2, who also has a free promotion going on right now (that I think ends tomorrow).

GraveRobberX

I downloaded this over the weekend and then deleted it when it didn't seem to have any multiplayer. Am I correct in this? The game sounded like the perfect co-op horde thing, which is what I wanted.

It has co-op... and PvP
For Co-Op it's the solo mode called Survival, if you press R3 it matchmakes you with 2 other people
More tougher enemies with bigger health pools, it's Random so be prepared for an AFK'er or Quitter. Some troll with putting traps in wrong place knowing that a barricade could be placed there to shuffle enemies through certain paths that you created killboxes for. Most don't even have the goddamn option clicked to sell their shit for them (yes that person gets their money back) so you try your best anyway. You'll most likely hit 3 Stars average wise.

Sometimes you get awesome teammates and it flows amazingly and you 5 Star that fucker quicker than solo.

PvP is called Sabotage, 3vs3. You create your traps they theirs, then you unleash hordes to their base and they theirs, chaos ensues

We also have endless (50+ waves) and the weekly challenge into the mix

Game has longevity, yes the locations might be reused but the enemies get tougher, stronger, and smarter, which spawn they come from, bosses/mini-bosses/random bosses

I watched a vid of how endless works, there's videos 3 hours long! of creating such insane killboxes and directing utter madness, it's just looks insane
Like in regular mode you'll see maybe 3 long legged trolls come in a wave, broken up to at least give you a chance, in endless it's like a sea of green getting grinded up lol

Sucks you deleted it, but goddamn game can get you hyped playing for hours on end

Dailies, Login Rewards, Bonus Skulls and xp with the batttle pass that pay huge dividends early and hell Late levels too

Most players don't know that as your account level rises, every level your hero gains 3% damage and health/mana
Doesn't matter who you use (solo wise)
There's a 100 levels...

Me being a Level 10 and doing the last mission on Apprentice solo and doing it again as a level 40 Hero you see the oomph your packing
Also all your traps you've leveled up carry over

So they might've been Level 1-2 first go around, but by Level 40+ you should at least hit Tier 3-4 and slotting in gear pieces to upgrade the traps more!

Barricades which would be destroyed in 3-4 hits as Level 1 and as Level 4 with a gear piece to reinforce the frame now takes like 8-10 hits
Then you can slot in gear into traps that if triggered and enemy killed give you more xp, coins, etc.

Level 3-5-7 of trap unlocks 3 gear pieces you can slot in per trap. Traps go to level 7, each level gives roughly 16% Damage, so 96% and you start with I think 4% already to get 100% more damage

The Rick & Morty guild was full so I started a GAF guild for those looking for groups

Guild name: The NeoGaf

Guild tag: [GAF]

I played it and enjoyed the concept but it had a terrible framerate and seemed very very f2p/MT heavy. Even outside of grinding for new things and upgrades it had consumables...

I'd rather just buy orcs must die 1 or 2 and play those I guess

Its not as bad as other F2P games i've played and this currently free pack gives you a good head start to get one or two of the characters you would want.

Besides all that, grinding isn't bad as long as you are constantly using new heroes on different stages to unlock chests. Also the gameplay is fun.

Yup. 3p Online Coop

The UI is pretty bad. Assuming they essentially just ported the PC version to PS4 (you can actually use the DS4 TouchPad as a mouse cursor).

dawgparty

It's pretty good! Really, really, really wish they just made an Orcs Must Die 3 but I understand that they were chasing that F2P coin. I wanna play this on PS4 but I had the highest tier of founder's pack on PC so I can't really justify spending time/money on a different platform...

Kas

I've considered it, but there's no split screen option.

I loved the first two in co-op with a friend, and I'd love to sit down with my brother and play it.

The game is not very old, it's just been in beta on PC for a long time.

I forgot to try it now that it's finally on ps4 so hanks for the reminder.

GraveRobberX

I haven't played a whole lot, but it's fun, seems like a lot of content here for a free game.

There's no pay to win mechanics, there are xp and skull booster to gain an advantage by not grinding too much

If you play daily, you'll easily catch up, thank fuck nothing is behind paywalls or traps are on a timer to level increase or weird shit that p2w gouge players on

Also if you complete everything which will take awhile all the dupes turn into a new currency which you can buy skins with
He'll get remaining parts or trapsyour missing

Kind of cool, no shoehorned cockblocks, when a game rewards you for playing their damn game, you in return put in money to said damn game

Paragon, OMDU, Paladins, Warframe all have seen some monetary investment cause they're fun, free, rewarding. So why not thank the Devs, most don't adhere to this thought process and think gouging a player is best way to earn money.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Thanks for the heads-up, OP. I really liked the original Orcs Must Die! back then, but haven't played the second one and didn't even know this existed.

Nikki Noxis

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads up! Though it does state this only lasts for a month on the game description/page. What happens after that? Do I lose access to the game unless I buy something?

Haven't played unchained but I can attest to how much dam fun OMD1 and OMD2 were. Co-op was insane so the thought of 3v3 just boggles my mind. It must be chaotic fun.

Is this fun to play as a single player game?

I loved Orcas Must Die 1+2, but held off on this one when it was focused on team based PVP stuff, but I did remember hearing that they were refocusing their efforts on different aspects of the game.

This seems like a good chance to give it a shit with the PS+ offer if it can be played like the old games.

Saprol

Is it separate servers per platform? I tried the game a little on Steam. I take it that PS+ pack won't be compatible with my existing account?

Obi

Neo Member
I hope there's crossplay between PS4 and PC. My buddy only plays PS4 games, so we pretty much never get to co-op. Orcs Must Die 1 & 2 were super fun! But I skipped this one cause ya know, free-2-play. meh. Some co-op stuff would definitely give me a reason to give it a try.

Gator86

I loved the two on PC and have it downloaded on PS4. I just haven't launched it yet. I'm glad to hear it's great. There's too much out now though. I can't with all these games.

GraveRobberX

Thanks for the heads up! Though it does state this only lasts for a month on the game description/page. What happens after that? Do I lose access to the game unless I buy something?

No you have on month to get that PS+ Starter Pack, it's really worth it
Even if you can't put time into it, just Diwnload and activate the thing

Once you go in first time you'll be ahead of the curve by a little bit

After a month it will be gone, game will still be free to play but those bonuses will leave

I loved Orcas Must Die 1+2, but held off on this one when it was focused on team based PVP stuff, but I did remember hearing that they were refocusing their efforts on different aspects of the game.

This seems like a good chance to give it a shit with the PS+ offer if it can be played like the old games.

You can solo the whole game if you like, no co-op or PvP required
That's just up to you, some trophies are tied to the modes but mostly solo experience

UCBooties

I held off on this because I thought it was the MOBA spinoff. If it's like the classic Orcs Must Die games with Co-op I'll have to give it a roll.

fuzaco

I held off on this because I thought it was the MOBA spinoff. If it's like the classic Orcs Must Die games with Co-op I'll have to give it a roll.

It used to have a MOBA-like mode, but they scrapped it. They realized that's not what fans of the series wanted. I thought it had potential, but most people didn't like it.

It is pretty fun as a single player game. It can get hard in latter levels, not impossible though. I've seen YT videos of people getting very creative with Trap builds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNzltGZB-I

I'm not much of a PVP person, but its pretty unique and kind of fun how they tackle it in this game. You are still essentially playing PvE, but sabotaging another team of players also playing PvE. Whomever survives longest, wins.

Overall, i think the game really shines in the coop PvE.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I remember trying this for PC after loving both OMD1 and 2. But I was very disappointed, especially since it seemed to be aimed at multiplayer without the same singleplayer/coop structure as before. Was a long time ago though, so maybe that has changed.

GraveRobberX

Thanks for the tip...
Started yestreday... Great game...

Any tips to keep f2p ?

If you have the PS+ bonus, use the advantage of 25% XP and Double Skulls (100% bonus) booster for 7 days

Play with Maximillion and try to Star as many stars as possible.
Learn the routes and create lanes for your deathboxes that shuffle enemies
If you need pointers countless videos on YouTube showing

Do this for all 8 maps in Apprentice

Get Max, get as many stars as possible, then pick the next free Hero and repeat, then do it again for next Hero
So by 3rd time you know how waves and locations work

By now your wondering why?

Every Map can be 5 starred, Earning Stars go as this
1 Star - Skulls
2 Stars - Skulls
3 Stats - Chest
4 Stars - Skulls
5 Stars - Chest

If you 5 star, you earn all rewards up to it, so 3 sets of Skills and 2 chests
Every Hero you get Victory with in that map gives you a Chest also

So for Apprentice you can earn 16 Total Chests for 5 Starring them
Then +1 Chest per Hero you own (15 Heroes out now, with 3 coming soon)

So you keep grinding with Heroes
Unless you want to spend $20 and get a little shortcut and save on Skulls by earning 6 extra Heroes, you just keep doing a Difficulty tier and 5 starring all maps (Max is best doing it), then taking all the Heroes and earning their Chest

Repeat at next difficulty tier

More chests, mores rewards at upgrading your traps, chance at trait cards for bonuses
Bigger difficulty chests give more rewards

If you have the PS+ bonus, use the advantage of 25% XP and Double Skulls (100% bonus) booster for 7 days

Play with Maximillion and try to Star as many stars as possible.
Learn the routes and create lanes for your deathboxes that shuffle enemies
If you need pointers countless videos on YouTube showing

Do this for all 8 maps in Apprentice

Get Max, get as many stars as possible, then pick the next free Hero and repeat, then do it again for next Hero
So by 3rd time you know how waves and locations work

By now your wondering why?

Every Map can be 5 starred, Earning Stars go as this
1 Star - Skulls
2 Stars - Skulls
3 Stats - Chest
4 Stars - Skulls
5 Stars - Chest

If you 5 star, you earn all rewards up to it, so 3 sets of Skills and 2 chests
Every Hero you get Victory with in that map gives you a Chest also

So for Apprentice you can earn 16 Total Chests for 5 Starring them
Then +1 Chest per Hero you own (15 Heroes out now, with 3 coming soon)

So you keep grinding with Heroes
Unless you want to spend $20 and get a little shortcut and save on Skulls by earning 6 extra Heroes, you just keep doing a Difficulty tier and 5 starring all maps (Max is best doing it), then taking all the Heroes and earning their Chest

Repeat at next difficulty tier

More chests, mores rewards at upgrading your traps, chance at trait cards for bonuses
Bigger difficulty chests give more rewards

Good tips.

Didn't realize how vital the 1-week Battle Pass is in this PS+ pack. Doubling the amount of skulls earned is essentially whats making this not feel so F2P.

Highly recommend people download the PS+ pack before the 14th, but only make sure you download it when you are going to play and utilize the 7-day battle pass bonuses

GraveRobberX

Good tips.

Didn't realize how vital the 1-week Battle Pass is in this PS+ pack. Doubling the amount of skulls earned is essentially whats making this not feel so F2P.

Highly recommend people download the PS+ pack before the 14th, but only make sure you download it when you are going to play and utilize the 7-day battle pass bonuses

Also 7 day battle passes carry over as they stack

So if you buy 2, you'll have Boost going for 14 Days straight!

Right now there's a 25% discount, saving you 250 Gold per Battle Pass (Usually 1000 Gold, 750 Gold at the moment)
On PC I've read they do -50% off too, so 500 Gold for a Battle Pass sounds amazing (100 Gold = $1)

I have 4650 Gold, would buy, but Paragon is getting a major overhaul on Tuesday, can't commit huge time into OMDU
Great thing is I can login, earn the Daily Reward and do the 3 Dailies and accomplish a little everyday
Earn those 2 Rift Chest and 500 Skulls everyday over 7 days is really worth it.

Also I have a 13 Hero roster at the moment that needs War Mage difficulty, so doing 5 match-made survival pays off too, cause I don't need to 5 star it, just get the win and earn Hero Chest. Repeat 5 times, earn Skulls along the way too!

I know if I could put in like a hard week of my grinding in this game I'd have some traps to 7 by now, just being lazy and other games taking my time especially Paragon with its update and Fortnite eating chunks of my time.

Just hit LVL 42

Still playing daily. I'm contemplating spending my hoarded munny on a new character, but the unreleased characters look damn interesting.

Also a bump reminder the PS+ Starter pack ends at the end of the weekend! Get on it!

Yeah this game is awesome. I've been playing it with a friend and it's a whole lot of fun. Even though it's free to play I'm tempted to spend the $20 on the pack that comes with 6 characters.

Buuuuuump

Last day to download the PS plus pack I think.

Been playing a lot of PvPe lately. Sabotage is pretty fun

I'd be all over that $20 pack if I didn't already have half thone characters. Hopefully more deals and such coming soon

Buuuuuump

Last day to download the PS plus pack I think.

Been playing a lot of PvPe lately. Sabotage is pretty fun

I'd be all over that $20 pack if I didn't already have half thone characters. Hopefully more deals and such coming soon

Just saw this thread, thanks for the bump
Got the game & plus pack. Not sure when I'll be able to check it out but it looks like something I'll enjoy.

The bear character came out. He's awesome. You can roll around like a big snowball and run over orcs. Also he has an ice mace (?) and can make a wall of ice. GOTY

The bear character came out. He's awesome. You can roll around like a big snowball and run over orcs. Also he has an ice mace (?) and can make a wall of ice. GOTY

Love it. Hes my favorite character so far.

Don't joke about GOTY! i'm tempted. lol

I've played this game like 52 days (dailys) in a row or something. Its practically become part of my morning routine.

Top Bottom