• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Handy Fake

I wonder how Sony is preventing DDoS again.

h1FD90C65

And it's been already told why XBL is harder to knock down: MS has Azure, they have one of the biggest server infrastructures in the world. Scriptkiddies can't kill it with their malware tools.
That and MS has years of Chinese ip based attacks against their servers/software to help them combat things

This is so dumb. What a ridiculous waste of everyone's time. These kids have far too much time on their hands.

I wonder if they are actually associated with ISIS? This would be the first 'cyber jihad' I've heard of, scary stuff.

This is so dumb. What a ridiculous waste of everyone's time. These kids have far too much time on their hands.

I wonder if they are actually associated with ISIS? This would be the first 'cyber jihad' I've heard of, scary stuff.
I suspect groups like ISIS are more focused on actual attacks.

A DDoS is little more than cyber-vandalism, really.

ilium

I just don't understand the thought process these kids must've gone through. Taking down services with DDoS attacks in the Name of "consumer rights Whatever blabla" nonsense is one thing, but an actual bomb thread on a domestic flight and letting yourself Seem affiliated with IS??
That's just crazy.
Guess american agencies are (rightfully) all over them right now.

Really wondering what kind of people are behind that group.
I guess we'll know soon enough...

drotahorror

Is anyone else getting spammed messages on PSN? I'm getting non stop messages but when I go to check them there's none there. I've never even heard of these people.

drotahorror

Alright it's somethin called GAF Nation on PSN. I didn't even know something like this existed. How do I leave it? It's kind of annoying.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't understand, they have a twitter, they can't triangulate this stuff, kick in their door and shove a gun in their mouth? Could I just taunt the world from Twitter and not get caught?

tfur

Seems like people on my friends list are using PSN with no problems today. Just ordered a game and all went smoothly. I guess the ddos is much less effective now.

Probably a bunch of kids who got their consoles taken away by their parents.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Cyber jihad sounds ironic

Wagram

They mention that Sony got "hacked" but conveniently fail to mention that other networks got hit too.

You expect journalists to do their jobs and research? Too much effort.

I know Sony is primarily a hardware company, but this should definitely be another wake up call that some things needs to be strengthened in their system.

nynt9

You expect journalists to do their jobs and research? Too much effort.

I know Sony is primarily a hardware company, but this should definitely be another wake up call that some things needs to be strengthened in their system.

Like what? Anti-DDOS appliances?

Etnos

Banned
They mention that Sony got "hacked" but conveniently fail to mention that other networks got hit too.

no... most sites also mention attacks on battle.net and xbox live. Why would you even jump to the assumption there is a secret agenda to destroy sony 0.o its just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BouncyFrag

I live in Dallas and there was a blurb in the news about in the redirected flight but it didn't have any details. I explained to my dad what had happened (thank you GAF!), but as he is technologically challenged he had no idea what I was talking about.

Zee-Row

Banned
no... most sites also mention attacks on battle.net and xbox live. Why would you even jump to the assumption there is a secret agenda to destroy sony 0.o its just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just talking about sites that only mention the Playstation network like the Verge and Screwattack.

tfur

I think they probably did exactly as they were instructed.

Threat came in
Turned down some backend services
Gathered and continue gathering network dumps
Alerted federal authorities.
Alerted security and mitigation services
Alerted upstream backbone providers
Determined threat was only traffic based
Turned services back up

After the incident just a few years ago, I would imagine they have a fairly updated and planned strategy for these things. Some combo/order of these things are planned for most companies.

I guess we will see how things play out over time.

GutZ31

For those that are still calling this a Hack, I hope you understand that in this instance, it does not fit the definition.
The reason a vocal few are speaking out about the use of a silly word, is because in this instance, it would automatically be taken as security breach, harm, loss.

In this article from Mashable:

Code:
A DDoS attack sends an extraordinary amount of traffic to server, [b]causing it to shut down, but it is not a hack.[/b] The attacker does not have to break into anything, and no account information was reportedly stolen from Play Station users.

spwolf

it did seem stupid when one of the arab news channels announced that "Sony is supplying Israel with military hardware" few weeks ago because they found that Sony sensor was used on Israeli missiles which they took on personal level... I wonder if the attacks had any correlation to that news story.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sony needs to stem this as soon as possible. We as gamers know this isn't a hack, but to Johnny Stacks and the general public, anytime someone does something to an online network is considered a "hack". This in turn is going to spread like wildfire and only strengthen the "PS4 is selling better, but Xbox One doesn't get hacked!" narrative. Consumers afraid that the PS4 version of Destiny will be down on day one will have no choice, but to buy Xbox Ones and play Destiny on the better system. This in turn will cause PS4 sales to plummit as Xbox One will take Sept-December. Then Xbox will take its place back at the #1 spot while Nintendo and Sony try to play catchup with Poketekken and The Order: 1886 Setpieces. You could have prevented it Sony after 2012, but as the saying goes, "Fools who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Sony needs to stem this as soon as possible. We as gamers know this isn't a hack, but to Johnny Stacks and the general public, anytime someone does something to an online network is considered a "hack". This in turn is going to spread like wildfire and only strengthen the "PS4 is selling better, but Xbox One doesn't get hacked!" narrative. Consumers afraid that the PS4 version of Destiny will be down on day one will have no choice, but to buy Xbox Ones and play Destiny on the better system. This in turn will cause PS4 sales to plummit as Xbox One will take Sept-December. Then Xbox will take its place back at the #1 spot while Nintendo and Sony try to play catchup with Poketekken and The Order: 1886 Setpieces. You could have prevented it Sony after 2012, but as the saying goes, "Fools who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Pretty much. September, October and November NPDs are going to be interesting.

TalonJH

As someone that was a Web Designer/Developer for a Forbes darling online retailer/manufacture of security systems with slightly suspicious backing from Honeywell. When we were DDoSed for about 25 days, we through money at it with services like Prolexic and all it did was make it so that people could access our network/store...sometimes. We're talking about people having a 60% chance page load and as slow as I've seen the internet since 56k days. It was a complete waste.

We did get a few days out of it where we didn't have much to do.

6v8bof5.gif

Never change Wynnebeck.

TalonJH

This is fucking dumb they need to get these people and put them away

Apparently, they(and a friend?) have just posted, John Smedley's personal info. along with a badly photoshoped picture of him being beheaded.

Yeah, they are obsessed.

Top Bottom