• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
Sony will have a lecture at GDC for the NGP next week on Thursday. They will talk about the broad range of inputs (touch screen, backtouch, gyro, gps, cameras, dual analogs), and connectivity features (maybe more on LiveArea, cross game compatibility with PS3) and how both (range of inputs and connectivity features) offer exciting new opportunities for game designers.

I know we probably won't get any game announcements (maybe 1 or 2 if we are lucky), but I am still excited to know more about the system

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
theBishop said:
Has there been a peep about PS HOME on NGP? Develop-online has a pretty good article from one of Home's project managers called "Sony's Silent Money-Maker". He's talking about planning their 6-month, and 2-year goals. In that context, I think it would be a priority to expand the reach of the PS Home platform.

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1124/A-money-makerM-PlayStation-Home
Great article. I was thinking about that the other day...honestly it seems like a no brainer, but at the same time I would imagine it would be very difficult in managing two different platforms for Home.

Takao

Banned
theBishop said:
Has there been a peep about PS HOME on NGP? Develop-online has a pretty good article from one of Home's project managers called "Sony's Silent Money-Maker". He's talking about planning their 6-month, and 2-year goals. In that context, I think it would be a priority to expand the reach of the PS Home platform.

R∞M for PlayStation Portable was cancelled early last year, and it was basically Home for PSP. I imagine that team is working on NGP.

Blueblur1

I play my PSP a lot nowadays and every time I pick it up to play some games, I find myself wishing the NGP was out already. I really hope that it comes out $300 max. Can't wait for E3!

Jburton

Banned
I am very excited for this system, it has great potential ..... but I think the biggest news from that whole announcement is playstation suite.

I think Sony has learned that it is not loyalty to brand that matters these days, but loyalty to content.

If someone has bought an Iphone, they have generally invested a substantial amount into the itunes content space ....... movies, music, apps, games and books etc.

So when someone considers their next mobile purchase, it is hard to leave behind that content and move to a new platform and new content provider.

And with the ability to use content purchased for iphone on the ipad, apple tv etc, you have content that is available to use at home and abroad.

With android having no unified content provision system, playstation suite and the cross compatibility with NGP and possibly PS3 and hopefully access to the like of qurocity and psn movie store creates this space within an already established market with a huge userbase.

It is this loyalty to content that drives people to purchas an Ipad, because they already own an Iphone ...... and own content that will already work on this new device.

KingDizzi

Banned
theBishop said:

It would be cool, being able to move around and access Home every now and then without having to sit on your couch. I go onto Home every now and then and am still shocked by how many people are using it, always full to the brim. Obviously my thought about Home are skewed due to going on gaming forums where noone uses it but still, shocking to see it's doing so well. The most fucked up I've seen is when I went on during Christman and probably 60-70% of the people had premium clothes on which each cost a few quid. 70 people working on it and adding more to the team shows that Home has done well for Sony. I would guess it's a given for NGP, the handheld is powerful blah blah blah all I'm hoping for if the loading times to decrease even more, at the start it was horrible but since then has improved.

What I'm waiting for is the 3rd party games to be announced, it's anyones guess whether it will be during E3 or TGS where games from third parties is announced. My guess is mostly western stuff announced at E3, some shown in detail at GDC and the usual such as SE titles at TGS.

KAL2006

Banned
Takao said:
R∞M for PlayStation Portable was cancelled early last year, and it was basically Home for PSP. I imagine that team is working on NGP.

I still don't understand the point of Home, I prefer the idea of LiveArea on NGP. LiveArea is basically the new Home. Every game has it's own LiveArea where you can view the latest news and events for the game, you can view world rankings and rankings between friends. Also there is a live messageboard for each game (similar to Facebook wall). where you can communicate in real time, leave messages, comment on each others messages, maybe even start and invite for multiplayer games.

Jburton said:
I am very excited for this system, it has great potential ..... but I think the biggest news from that whole announcement is playstation suite.

I think you are making too much of a big deal of this feature. PS Suite is just an extra feature. It will most likely have small games like Angry Birds and etc. So basically it will just be another Minis. No one will buy a NGP for PS Suite games, they will buy an NGP for actual NGP games. Of course there is potential that PS Suite can get big like iOS appstore with tons of content from indie developers, however those games will get overshadowed by PSN and NGP games. It would just be an added bonus of having the Android mobile type games onthe NGP. What I think would be great about PS Suite is the potential of proper 3rd party apps (not games).

Canova

Banned
theBishop said:

thanks for posting that link, it's a good read.

I know I've spent more money on Home lately, I've built a decent avatar costume collection.

I just got KZ3 jetpack avatar, it's wicked

KingDizzi said:
It would be cool, being able to move around and access Home every now and then without having to sit on your couch. I go onto Home every now and then and am still shocked by how many people are using it, always full to the brim. Obviously my thought about Home are skewed due to going on gaming forums where noone uses it but still, shocking to see it's doing so well. The most fucked up I've seen is when I went on during Christman and probably 60-70% of the people had premium clothes on which each cost a few quid. 70 people working on it and adding more to the team shows that Home has done well for Sony. I would guess it's a given for NGP, the handheld is powerful blah blah blah all I'm hoping for if the loading times to decrease even more, at the start it was horrible but since then has improved.
That article is very informative and very true regarding Home. It is a silent money maker for Sony. No one talks about it but Sony has been introducing new games into Home that have been sort of following the "freemium" model which a lot of users are flocking to.
Having a portable Home on your NGP sounds pretty cool and is another avenue that Sony can use to introduce the service to new users.

DiscoJer

While this might not be that big a deal, the arrival (finally) of my copy of Tactics Ogre from Amazon reminded me of one thing that really bugged me about PSP games - the manuals.

Because the case is so tall and thin, the manual is as well. Which means they use tiny text in them, because otherwise you'd only be able to fit 4-5 words on a row.

Hopefully the NGP cases will be squarer, like DS cases - their manuals are small, too, but the width lets them use bigger text so it's easier to read.

Jim

Another tool/engine announcement. Can't be a coincidence that so many have come out within a 24 hour period. Pre-GDC stuff I suppose.

Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 Available for the Next Generation Portable Entertainment System from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

CARY, N.C. - February 24, 2011 - Epic Games, Inc. announces Unreal Engine 3 support for the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP) from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE). Developers may now license Epic's award-winning engine technology for NGP.

Epic Games' founder Tim Sweeney presented a real-time preview of a large, outdoor environment running on NGP at PlayStation®Meeting 2011 last month in Tokyo, demonstrating a sweeping panorama full of particle systems, animating characters and atmospheric lighting effects.

"We were very proud to be onstage with SCE to give the world just a taste of what Unreal Engine 3 can do on NGP," said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games. "NGP raises the bar for the performance of handheld platforms with its multi-core GPU and shader-based, multi-core CPU. This makes Unreal Engine 3 a particularly advantageous fit for NGP. Furthermore, multiple UE3 licensees are already working with NGP, some of which have indicated they intend to release their games for the platform's launch."

"We see NGP as a true game-changer with a perfect combination of performance, innovative controls and gamer appeal that make it truly a high-end console in your pocket," said Sweeney.

tzare said:
They should also sell a tv-out capable cradle at some time and allow to use arcade sticks (usb/BT)

sony-xperia-play-white1102181548011.jpg

I actually remember seeing a wireless TV-out thing (apparantely from a third party) in my local Fry's; it only worked with the 3000 model, though.

tzare said:
they should have at launch, the most popular iphone games available at the same price as itunes, with the option to be controlled, if necessary, with stick/buttons. That combined with psp games at low price and a few NGP big games could be the best system for gaming in a while.

They should also sell a tv-out capable cradle at some time and allow to use arcade sticks (usb/BT)

sony-xperia-play-white1102181548011.jpg

Looks kind of like the Apple thunderbolt logo next to the usb port.

chubigans said:
Great article. I was thinking about that the other day...honestly it seems like a no brainer, but at the same time I would imagine it would be very difficult in managing two different platforms for Home.

I imagine that, if they were to do it, NGP and PS3 users would all be on the same server. It doesn't make sense to have 2 separate ones, they should also add Home for PC, either browser based like Free Realms or a standalone app.

Jim

Another. From Havok.

Havok Technology Available & Optimized on the Next Generation Portable Entertainment System from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Havok Confirms Integration is Completed, Havok Studio Development Support is In Place

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Havok™’s full development suite is now available for the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP) from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE). Havok, a leader in games tools and technology, confirms that it has software builds completed and the Havok support team is ready for game production on NGP. Havok and SCE have a long history of partnership and worked closely together in optimizing for NGP. Additionally, Havok’s technology for NGP has been tapped by a number of key launch titles for NGP.

“Havok's suite of tools and targeted optimization for NGP will ensure that developers have best-of-breed production solutions on SCE’s exciting new platform,” David Coghlan, Managing Director, Havok, said.

Havok products will allow studios to reach new standards of believability and interactivity, while mitigating the overall cost and risks associated with creating great consumer experiences on NGP. Studios will benefit from Havok’s optimized run time solutions while also getting access to a powerful and flexible set of art tools tailored to work within a studio’s particular production pipeline. Havok also provides creative teams assistance from the most experienced support team in the middleware industry. All of Havok’s software tools and infrastructure are designed to deliver the best software and best customer service so studios can focus on making world-class games for players around the world.

KAL2006

Banned
I hope the launch sega games are Virtua Tennis and Yakuza

but I bet it will be something shitty like Monkey ball

fernoca said:
Would be cool Crysis 2 Portable and Unreal Tournament III Portable even just straight ports.

the only straight ports I would want are MvC3, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Twisted Metal, LittleBigPlanet 2, Witcher 2 and Just Cause 2

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Skies of Arcadia would be nice.

Also Phantasy Star Portable 3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I would not assume that any HD game you can think of can be just a straightforward port away.

Games with very complex problem spaces aren't going to translate so easily. Maybe it's one thing to think about games of a scope like Virtua Fighter or UT3, but I think it's quite another to think of Crysis 2 or Elder Scrolls Skyrim or LBP2. There is a class of HD console content that NGP would simply choke on, taken as is.

plainr_

Let's hope EA jumps on the bandwagon and announces Frostbite support at GDC. I'm just salivating at the thought of BF:BC2 for NGP. :p

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:
I would not assume that any HD game you can think of can be just a straightforward port away.

Games with very complex problem spaces aren't going to translate so easily. Maybe it's one thing to think about games of a scope like Virtua Fighter or UT3, but I think it's quite another to think of Crysis 2 or Elder Scrolls Skyrim or LBP2. There is a class of HD console content that NGP would simply choke on, taken as is.

True they may have to downgrade a lot of the graphics (lower quality textures, less trees and etc), but I think it will be possible, it may not be a quick port but will take time to optimize the game for the NGP. If we can get GTA on PSP that is a downgrade of the PS2 version, I am sure we could get a sandbox game like Skyrim or Just Cause that is a downgrade of the HD versions. As for LittleBigPlanet, the little bit of gameplay I saw in the trailer reel, didn't look too bad.

KingDizzi

Banned
gofreak said:

If the NGP can get LBP2 to be like the console version, it would really be amazing having the ability to create on the go and what not. LBP PSP is not a horrible game but nothing special for sure, very dated hardware though so hopefully NGP can put on a better show for LBP. Playing LBP2 with four other people on NGP is just a yummy prospect. The games need to start being announced soon, the game reel when NGP was announced had LBP2 on PS3 in the trailer, talk about lazy. :(

KAL2006 said:
I still don't understand the point of Home, I prefer the idea of LiveArea on NGP. LiveArea is basically the new Home. Every game has it's own LiveArea where you can view the latest news and events for the game, you can view world rankings and rankings between friends. Also there is a live messageboard for each game (similar to Facebook wall). where you can communicate in real time, leave messages, comment on each others messages, maybe even start and invite for multiplayer games.

Home is a 3D social gaming platform. Users can have a deeper personalisation of their online identity by customising their appearance further etc. It is also a games platform in its own right. MMO's etc do well in there such as Sodium One, which now has a sequel on the way. Now it is possible to enhance your experience with retail PS3 games, using the 'Total Integration'.

LiveArea does different things to Home.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
As for LittleBigPlanet, the little big of gameplay I saw in the trailer reel, didn't look too bad.

It looked amazing, but I think it was just LBP2 footage stuck in the reel to say 'hey, yeah, we're making a lbp for it'. I mean it looked literally exactly the same and its IQ etc. was 'different' from most of the other games in the reel.

A simple port of LBP2, even if it were possible, would also be a missed opportunity though, IMO. I would prefer a version that actively takes advantage of all the new toys in NGP that aren't available on PS3. That would make it a worthy, first-class citizen in the LBP universe, so to speak.

KAL2006

Banned
KingDizzi said:
If the NGP can get LBP2 to be like the console version, it would really be amazing having the ability to create on the go and what not. LBP PSP is not a horrible game but nothing special for sure, very dated hardware though so hopefully NGP can put on a better show for LBP. Playing LBP2 with four other people on NGP is just a yummy prospect. The games need to start being announced soon, the game reel when NGP was announced had LBP2 on PS3 in the trailer, talk about lazy. :(

If LittleBigPlanet 2 was a straight port, the possibility of cross platform gaming would be amazing. Maybe PS3 and NGP players can play online together. Also it would be great if all the created levels on PS3 are available on NGP as well and vice versa. Having the same account on both platforms would mean you will have the same rankings, created levels and etc across both platforms. Maybe you can create a level easily with the touchscreen and then play the same level you created on NGP on the PS3.

On the other hand a LittleBigPlanet that is made ecpecially for NGP could have more creation options with touchscreen, backtouch, gyro, camera, gps and etc. Maybe if someone makes a level wit those features they are only playable for NGP users and not PS3 users.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KingDizzi said:
If the NGP can get LBP2 to be like the console version, it would really be amazing having the ability to create on the go and what not.

I think data/level compatibility between PS3 and NGP is an unrealistic dream. The PS3 version can just do so much more on the physics and simulation side, so I doubt it's technically possible. The LBP engine really does push the PS3 quite hard. Maybe they could do a programme that filtered levels 'playable' on both PS3 and NGP so there was a certain level of compatibility, but that might complicate things a little.

Data compatibility or no, though, I would like more than just 'LBP2' as is on NGP. I want new tools to take advantage of the stuff on NGP. In terms of interaction possibilities, NGP is in fact a superset of the PS3, and LBP would be the perfect game to take advantage of that. I think LBP on PSP suffered from the notion that fans on the PS3 side were thinking 'why would I want to make something there, when I can make the same and so much more over here?'. A NGP LBP game can offer them a substantially different creative palette altogether.

SykoTech said:
It will probably be Valkyria Chronicles IV.

-_-

This could actually be good for a PS3 version. It would make a lot more sense to use the shared development budget to get the game on two systems. That way they can tap into two userbases.

SykoTech

yencid said:
how is that bad? The canvas look will probably be more along the lines of the PS3 version now.

That's true I suppose. And maybe they could make the map sizes bigger with the extra space. That was my biggest problem with VCII.

^And yeah, cross platform development could be a possiblity as well.

Okay Sega, make it happen!

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:
I think data/level compatibility between PS3 and NGP is an unrealistic dream. The PS3 version can just do so much more on the physics and simulation side, so I doubt it's technically possible. The LBP engine really does push the PS3 quite hard. Maybe they could do a programme that filtered levels 'playable' on both PS3 and NGP so there was a certain level of compatibility, but that might complicate things a little.

Data compatibility or no, though, I would like more than just 'LBP2' as is on NGP. I want new tools to take advantage of the stuff on NGP. In terms of interaction possibilities, NGP is in fact a superset of the PS3, and LBP would be the perfect game to take advantage of that. I think LBP on PSP suffered from the notion that fans on the PS3 side were thinking 'why would I want to make something there, when I can make the same and so much more over here?'. A NGP LBP game can offer them a substantially different creative palette altogether.

You could be right that the physics may not be possible on NGP, however I remember when Lost Planet 2 was shown off on NGP, the developer said everything was intact including the same physics, effects and etc. Though the Lost Planet 2 engine may just be easier to port. As for taking advantage of NGP control inputs, they could still make that happen if it is a port, basically the levels that take advantage of the new control inputs can be NGP exclusive.

Kintaro said:
One thing about the NGP...its made me make more PSN purchases than ever before. Bravo Sony. =x

Yeah this is hitting me a bit as well. I'm not sure about the NGP, but I'm mostly a portable gamer these days, so it's pretty likely that I'll own one at some point during its lifetime. Normally I do UMDs as I can get them used cheap and then just flip them back to Gamestop or wherever. But now I'm looking at getting Tactics Ogre on PSN just so I can have the option to play it on NGP at some point. Maybe Cladun and No Heroes Allowed as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
You could be right that the physics may not be possible on NGP, however I remember when Lost Planet 2 was shown off on NGP, the developer said everything was intact including the same physics, effects and etc.

That may well have been true, but it was one specific cutscene. It doesn't mean they wouldn't - for example - have to make changes to other parts of Lost Planet 2 to make it work in its entirety on NGP. Same with the MGS4 demo - it doesn't at all mean that MGS4 could run as is on NGP, from a gameplay & simulation POV. In both cases we're talking about handpicked cutscenes.

All those demos showed is that a certain level of rendering fidelity is possible with, in LP2's case, a certain level of complexity I guess - but in none of the cases did it prove that PS3-scale games could just work in the general case on NGP.

Not to mention it says nothing about LBP2 of course :) I just think it's hard to imagine a LBP engine on NGP supporting the same level of processing that more complicated LBP2 levels would use. There might be a certain range of level complexity below which NGP could support, but general case support would be technically impossible.

I think LBP levels need to be disjoint between the two platforms anyway given the extra interface possibilities on NGP. The only thing motivating this separation on PSP was technical inferiority, but on NGP they can at least deflect attention from that to all the other new control and gameplay possibilities on the NGP version, and so they have an opportunity to more positively justify the separation.

RiverBed

Banned
If they can deliver proper- or at least playable- online gaming on the thing it'll blow off the water. Make it happen Sony! Forget about every other feature; portable MP is the next big thing!

Fuck, I just thought about playing Battlefield 3 MP on the bus.... now there's a cause of erection that will make your commute uncomfortable for everybody else but your gleeing self. lol

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:
That may well have been true, but it was one specific cutscene. It doesn't mean they wouldn't - for example - have to make changes to other parts of Lost Planet 2 to make it work in its entirety on NGP. Same with the MGS4 demo - it doesn't at all mean that MGS4 could run as is on NGP, from a gameplay & simulation POV. In both cases we're talking about handpicked cutscenes.

All those demos showed is that a certain level of rendering fidelity is possible with, in LP2's case, a certain level of complexity I guess - but in none of the cases did it prove that PS3-scale games could just work in the general case on NGP.

Not to mention it says nothing about LBP2 of course :) I just think it's hard to imagine a LBP engine on NGP supporting the same level of processing that more complicated LBP2 levels would use. There might be a certain range of level complexity below which NGP could support, but general case support would be technically impossible.

I think LBP levels need to be disjoint between the two platforms anyway given the extra interface possibilities on NGP. The only thing motivating this separation on PSP was technical inferiority, but on NGP they can at least deflect attention from that to all the other new control and gameplay possibilities on the NGP version, and so they have an opportunity to more positively justify the separation.

You probably are right, at this point we know there are 2 games that can run on both PS3 and NGP. Those games are Wipeout HD and Dungeon Defenders. Of course both of those games don't really push the PS3. I still think games like Skyrim are possible on NGP with downgrades and optimization. GTA on PSP and SSFIV on 3DS has shown if there is enough effort put into a port it can be done.

tzare

KAL2006 said:
I hope the launch sega games are Virtua Tennis and Yakuza

but I bet it will be something shitty like Monkey ball

the only straight ports I would want are MvC3, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Twisted Metal, LittleBigPlanet 2, Witcher 2 and Just Cause 2

VT3 was great on psp, and could do well on NGP if it has online multiplayer. I'd also love to see some other sega classics, arcade games fit portables very well: daytona/sega rally for example

yencid

RiverBed said:
If they can deliver proper- or at least playable- online gaming on the thing it'll blow off the water. Make it happen Sony! Forget about every other feature; portable MP is the next big thing!

Fuck, I just thought about playing Battlefield 3 MP on the bus.... now there's a cause of erection that will make your commute uncomfortable for everybody else but your gleeing self. lol
resistance retribution had a working online system so i dont see why not

M3Freak

Banned
Kintaro said:
One thing about the NGP...its made me make more PSN purchases than ever before. Bravo Sony. =x

Ya - I'm not even contemplating discs anymore. I know eventually my PSP will die, so PSN purchases are the only long term option.

I do wish I could get my current UMD games onto the NGP. I should be allowed to - I already bought the damn things!

FoxSpirit

Doesn't anyone else find it crazy how the developers just seem to hop aboard? Actually, more like streaming aboard. If you compare it with PSP1 where there was a lot of vocal 'yes' but do 'no's, the PSP2 seems to get a really big pile of software right at launch.

Why are devs so exited about a handheld this strong?

edit: if you can get most of PSP1 stuff for it on psn, I'm going to Patapon the hell out of my wallett :p

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
FoxSpirit said:
Doesn't anyone else find it crazy how the developers just seem to hop aboard? Actually, more like streaming aboard. If you compare it with PSP1 where there was a lot of vocal 'yes' but do 'no's, the PSP2 seems to get a really big pile of software right at launch.

edit: if you can get most of PSP1 stuff for it on psn, I'm going to Patapon the hell out of my wallett :p

I already been getting ready for it, with my ps1/psp stuff from psn :D

FoxSpirit said:

It's a no-brainer for middleware developers, they've got their technology to sell and it sounds simple enough to get it running on it. Whether many people licence it is another matter ;)
Japanese developers are hopping on because the PSP has shown there's a pretty big market for this sort of thing.

newsguy

So I'm playing NBA2K11 last night and I realize that I play that game way too much. Then I started thinking that for the first time in portable history, sports games may actually be successful. Because it has 2 analogs and infinite possibilities with the tech in it, you can now have a truly non-gimped version on the go AND devs can make it unique. I wouldn't mind a great port (with all of the same moves and animations from the console) combined with some new NGP specific modes like say a dunk contest that uses the back pad, gyro etc. Hell, if my Association saves sync with the console version, I would buy the game for PS3 rather than 360, so Sony wins again. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom