• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

dogen

so at basically xbone settings a 1080 is performing 4x as well. not very impressive. is your 1080 overclocked?

its the same res as xbone. and i believe xbone has 1 or 2 settings above medium. textures and maybe 1 other

Remedy said scaling on renders at 2/3 the selected resolution. That puts 1080p with scaling on 45% higher than the 720 of the XB1 version.

elelunicy

They've been posted here already by other users, and they all are pretty good examples of games which actually look _better_ while running _several times faster_ on the same h/w - The Division, RoTTR, Battlefront, etc.

Lol. These games look nowhere near as good as QB, let alone better. In fact, my rig can run Battlefront flawlessly at 5k/60fps maxed out and it still didn't impressive me as much as QB at 4k/30fps mostly medium settings (and RoTTR is just slightly harder to run; 5k/60fps meanwhile is not achievable in The Division without turning a lot of settings down). I visit the PC screenshot thread daily so I know exactly what other games look like when I say QB is the best looking PC game at the moment.

Vuze

Lol. These games look nowhere near as good as QB, let alone better. In fact, my rig can run Battlefront flawlessly at 5k/60fps maxed out and it still didn't impressive me as much as QB at 4k/30fps mostly medium settings (and RoTTR is just slightly harder to run; 5k/60fps meanwhile is not achievable in The Division without turning a lot of settings down). I visit the PC screenshot thread daily so I know exactly what other games look like when I say QB is the best looking PC game at the moment.
But where? When? I'm honestly curious. I haven't seen anything from QB that blew me away in terms of graphics.
Of course I haven't played anything but the prologue yet in person due to performance but judging from your post even stills should do the game justice easily.
oh ok so you stream em do you? is that how it worked on the xbox one too?
Xbox had an optional 30? GB download for 1080p cutscenes, I think they are only available in 4K and streaming only on PC. For whatever stupid reason

dr_rus

Lol indeed, all these games often look better than QB and it's not because I visit a thread, it's because I played them.

24725523261_3ba568390b_o.jpg

29021159526_431017e78d_o.jpg

And this is just from a pure technical standpoint because in the art direction department QB have nothing on the likes of Arkham Knight which is even running on a previous gen tech:

23276137274_32c242f379_o.jpg

Or some parts of recent DXMD which while running poorly overall is still a lot faster in general than QB:

29308091445_008c8822bb_o.jpg

Again, I'm not saying that QB looks bad, I'm saying that it doesn't look anywhere close to how it should be looking at the level of performance it provides. The SWBF shot above was taken on ~150 fps for comparison which is ~3-4 times higher than what I get in QB in the same resolution. For that price you should be getting a modern Crysis level of graphics advancement, and QB just doesn't provide this as it looks on par or worse than lots and lots other games out there.

elelunicy

Lol indeed, all these games often look better than QB and it's not because I visit a thread, it's because I played them.

And this is just from a pure technical standpoint because in the art direction department QB have nothing on the likes of Arkham Knight which is even running on a previous gen tech:

Or some parts of recent DXMD which while running poorly overall is still a lot faster in general than QB:

Again, I'm not saying that QB looks bad, I'm saying that it doesn't look anywhere close to how it should be looking at the level of performance it provides. The SWBF shot above was taken on ~150 fps for comparison which is ~3-4 times higher than what I get in QB in the same resolution. For that price you should be getting a modern Crysis level of graphics advancement, and QB just doesn't provide this as it looks on par or worse than lots and lots other games out there.

You mock me for visiting a thread instead of playing, and then proceed to posting some screenshots yourself? Lol. Just the fact that I visit the PC screenshot thread daily should give you enough information to know that I've already seen screenshots of these games on par or better than the ones you posted.

And yes I've played all of these games myself, not just seen screenshots of them. The fact that those worse-looking games perform better than QB doesn't impress me in the slightest. I'd love to take some QB screenshots, but the lack of free camera drives me nuts and makes taking any non cut-scene screenshots a nightmare. Maybe with the Steam version someone could make a free camera hack/mod.

You mock me for visiting a thread instead of playing, and then proceed to posting some screenshots yourself? Lol. Just the fact that I visit the PC screenshot thread daily should give you enough information to know that I've already seen screenshots of these games on par or better than the ones you posted.

And yes I've played all of these games myself, not just seen screenshots of them. The fact that those worse-looking games perform better than QB doesn't impress me in the slightest. I'd love to take some QB screenshots, but the lack of free camera drives me nuts and makes taking any non cut-scene screenshots a nightmare. Maybe with the Steam version someone could make a free camera hack/mod.

Sure it's a good looking game but I'm not so sure that's the only reason it's so difficult to run. There's something going on with this game

dr_rus

These are my screenshots, I believe they were all posted in the said PC screeshots thread at some time. They are here just to illustrate the point. But I see that it's futile.

Carlius

Banned
solid 60 fps here with 1070 and 6700k so far one hour into the game...lets hope it stays like this...so is 1080p not really 1080p?

Carlius

Banned
wtf..i had no idea scaling meant the game ran at 720p no fucking wonderr, holy shittt.

still 60 fps lets see if it stays there

edit: haha nevermind, dropping to 30s, doesnt go below that but dropping...FML

wtf..i had no idea scaling meant the game ran at 720p no fucking wonderr, holy shittt.

It's more complicated than that, there is additional detail over regular 720p provided by the temporal reconstruction the engine uses. It's not just a 720p game upscaled to 1080p/1440p/etc.

Forgetting for a moment whether QB is performing as well as it should, does it at least scale? By which I mean despite using the power inefficiently, will extremely high end rigs and future computers at least be able to run it well by brute force?

Vuze

Forgetting for a moment whether QB is performing as well as it should, does it at least scale? By which I mean despite using the power inefficiently, will extremely high end rigs and future computers at least be able to run it well by brute force?
Judging from the gamegpu benchmark, it does. My guess is that the next x80 or atleast x80 Ti Nvidia card will be able to run it at native 1440p in the 60fps range.

4jjiyoon

took the plunge and bought it.

runs alright on high with a 970 at 1080p. getting 60 on average.

absolutely loving it so far. its remedy through and through.

i actually like the live action episodes. im invested.

the alan wake nods at the beginng are depressing though. still no sign of the sequel :(

Using upscaling how blurry does the game look at 1080p? Is it very noticeable/distracting.

Do you need an active internet connection to watch the cutscenes?

Trace

Banned

This game runs better than Quantum Break to boot.

4jjiyoon

Using upscaling how blurry does the game look at 1080p? Is it very noticeable/distracting.

Do you need an active internet connection to watch the cutscenes?

its blurrier if you compare screenshots. its not noticeable when playing.

in game cutscenes, no. if you mean the live action episodes then yes you do. unfortunately.

I don't think quantum break looks that good, honestly.

The whole image has a softness to it.. even if you turn off upscaling.

I'm running the game in 4k w/ upscaling on (so 2560x1440 actual rendering res), cranked everything to ultra and locked the framerate to 30.

It plays fine like this, so I figure I'll just go with it. framerate is perfectly stable, which was more important to me than trying to hit 60 fps in this game by turning down settings.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yep. As I've said before, the game looks like 2014 title (at best) and with the level of visuals it provides now it should run with 100+ FPS maxed out (except maybe global illumination, but who knows) in 1080p and with something like 70-85 FPS minimum on GTX 10th series (70/80) cards.

There's also one more thing, the original demo looked a lot better than what we end up having now (not to mention the actors - I really don't like 80% of the main male actors in this game, very poor choice in my opinion) with lots of missing effects, visual features, flat, clean and oversaturated visuals. It's not like it was mind blowing or anything back in 2014 cuz there was still blury textures and low quality shadows here and there, but overal visual style, tone, atmosphere and PostFX is much and much better in my opinion and all of this combined gives this game a lot more grim and serious look and feel of one of the many HBO's TV series with the mix of Sci-Fi elements.

2014 Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbKitybMoVo
DF Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4DP3iWCgQc

But what we end up having is much less impressive visuals and more like typical and mediocre (at best) Sci-Fi's TV series with the same quality of male actors (for the most part) and overal feel. I'm sorry, Remedy, but I've absolutely ZERO desire to play as Shawn Ashmore and look at Dominic Monaghan, cuz frankly I don't like these actors one bit and do not want to see them on my monitor's screen more then I have to - less is better.

Felensis

Banned
i7 6700K, 16 GB RAM, RX 480 here. Game defaults to everything maxed out (ultra) @ 1080 (scaled).

I play it via Steam Link on the 4K TV. Game looks absolutely gorgeous and not at all blurry. Often jaw dropping and on a level with the Order. Global Illumination + PBR is the best AAA games of today can offer.

Game itself is pure Remedy, full of details and a lot of fun. I'm happy so far!

I've experimented a bit more:
- turning down Volumetric Lighting to Medium provides me a minimum of 60 FPS in basically every situation I've met so far.
- turning off Upscaling, well, is not in discussion. I don't like to play games in the 40 FPS sphere with choppy responsiveness. :p

Watching your video and reading what you wrote makes me wonder what some people in this thread and the other one are talking about when they say it performs as bad as the windows store version.

Did you play the windows store version ? I couldn't get a constant 30 fps even with everything at medium with a 970.

Is it possible to not watch and skip the FMV ( not the in game cutscene)?

I have a few things holding me back, that being one of them.

Yes, you can.

But I wouldn't recommend doing that.

I thought the TV show was mostly bad. The writing sucks. But it has story elements which are directly tied to what's happening in game so you probably don't want to skip it.

With an i5-3570k, 8GB of RAM and a GTX 1070, it seems like 60FPS simply isn't possible at 1440p. I set every setting as low as it would go, but upscaling off, and it was running at like 45-50ish and stuttering badly. In fact, it seems to stutter pretty much constantly unless I actually cap the framerate. Eventually I settled on just using the 30FPS lock and V-Sync with the Ultra preset. Note that the Ultra preset doesn't actually set all settings to Ultra, just some of them, and even then it defaults to keeping the upscaling on so I had to turn it off. Setting everything to Ultra is a no-go with a 1070, but a mix of High and Ultra is giving me a rock-solid 30FPS, which I can live with.

There's some really ugly motion blur that apparently can't be turned off, unless I'm missing something. Characters are almost leaving Ninja Gaiden style after-images when they move; I had to double-check that I hadn't left the temporal upscaling thing on.

jettpack

Seems to be running fine for me. I have it maxed out on a 970. Feels like i'm hovering around the high 30s FPS wise without frame rate locked. Looks amazing. I don't have V-Sync on tho so I'm getting pretty intense screen tearing. Looks GORGEOUS

abracadaver

AMD user here (Fury x) Steam version runs a lot better than I expected.

I play in 1440p with all the settings on high. Scaling on I think.

I played the first act and the framerate was always around 60. Felt very smooth all the time. (freesync monitor)

I was also impressed how good this game looks. Definitely one of the best looking games I've played.

dr_rus

Quantum Break: Die Steamversion mit DirectX 11 im Technik-Test [Benchmark-Liveticker]
Not much to see there yet but they'll update it with more results.

Watching your video and reading what you wrote makes me wonder what some people in this thread and the other one are talking about when they say it performs as bad as the windows store version.

Did you play the windows store version ? I couldn't get a constant 30 fps even with everything at medium with a 970.

Steam version certainly perform better than WinStore one on NV h/w, and I think that frametimes stability can be better on Radeons as well meaning more stable gameplay even on less fps.

Bl@de

They are calling Quantum Break "Eines der schönsten Spiele 2016" - One of the most beautiful games of 2016.

In high resloutions with ultra settings it is. The real-time global illumination is fantastic. More games should implement it. Sadly it also brings down performance. But that's normal for effects like that. I still prefer it to pre-baked stuff. Same goes for the volumetric lightning. The effects are also fantastic when it comes to shootouts and the use of time powers.

Carlius

Banned
got the game stuck at 30 fps...not what i wanted but whatever, cant hadle the drops. game is absolutely beautiful on ultra and the gunplay is just fucking fun.

Top Bottom