• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break to skip E3, new footage at Gamescom

Woffls

They're still doing the TV stuff... I doubt that has changed. But its a big game and they're not a huge studio (but bigger now)
I reckon they've, at the very least, mitigated the amount of TV stuff going into the game - not necessarily ditched it entirely. How long has it been since they reaffirmed their commitment to the TV aspect of the game?

Ushay

0ELmnk9.png

Hmm this sounds promising.

Was really hoping it would be there, but this shouldn't surprise anyone given its Remedy we are talking about, and Spencer has been bragging about having too much to show all at E3 for some time. This will make the lack of Sony at games com easier to swallow too.

Sydle

I reckon they've, at the very least, mitigated the amount of TV stuff going into the game - not necessarily ditched it entirely. How long has it been since they reaffirmed their commitment to the TV aspect of the game?

IIRC, they wrapped up shooting earlier this year.

It doesn't seem right calling it TV though. The episodes between chapters are accessible only in the game depending on what you do, so they won't be made available separately. Sam Lake likened them to the comics in Max Payne, it's just a different format this time. That was the plan from the beginning.

Hmm this sounds promising.

Waiting to see what he delivers at E3 before getting excited about Gamescom.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
They don't tend to make games I'm that interested in from a 1st party standpoint anymore. I've grown tired of many series over the years (not just Microsoft's) but their E3 probably won't do it for me. If you love their tried and tested series though, no doubt it'll be a great conference.

Each to their own. I'll just have to patiently wait until GC for Quantum Break. Needs a good showing to convince me.

I'm sure I'll watch all of them, I just aren't looking forward to a couple (Microsoft, Ubisoft, PC etc). I'm all up for surprises, I just don't see where any substantial ones will be coming from Microsoft on a 1st party level. 3rd parties would be nuts to make an exclusive for the Xbox One and at best they'll be timed. They need a load of killer new IP for me. Scalebound is a start, but even then I'm not really into Platinum Games and we don't know a lot about the game as a whole. If its good though, I'll be there.

Ahhh cool man. I'm sure ms's should be good this year even without qb. Infact I'm more confident for theirs than others. Especially if they are thinking they don't even need qb to kill it. It worked really well being at gamescom

I take it Spencer is feeling really good about E3, so he moved it out. If we still get to see Rare's new game, some of the Halo 5 campaign, Scalebound, Crackdown, Gears remaster, Gears 4 teaser, Forza 6, Rise of the Tomb Raider gameplay, et al then it's still a really strong show.

I hope Remedy shows us a brand new area in August.

Dude, im so hyped! Plus new IPs yet to be revealed!!

I can understand not being on the previous E3 because of the required time to create substantial demos. But this makes zero sense on a marketing level, we're talking about the biggest games event of all time. Unless they're demo is not up to snuff till gamescom, I really have a hard time buying into that reasoning.

Do you have a BA in Marketing? You act like no one will know about new games unless it's announced at one game show in Cali. Lol your reasoning is hard to buy into to be honest. Then with your logic, the daily shows are also mute since it wont be at the main presser for MS. OH noes.... :( we are all sol.

Ahhh cool man. I'm sure ms's should be good this year even without qb. Infact I'm more confident for theirs than others. Especially if they are thinking they don't even need qb to kill it. It worked really well being at gamescom

I get the feeling that Microsoft will have a solid show full of games. They'll have a good mixture of 1st and 3rd party (they can't afford to neglect them now because Sony is going after them hard). I honestly think Microsoft will have a hard time 'killing it' as they are on the back foot.

I get the feeling that Microsoft will have a solid show full of games. They'll have a good mixture of 1st and 3rd party (they can't afford to neglect them now because Sony is going after them hard). I honestly think Microsoft will have a hard time 'killing it' as they are on the back foot.

What 'back foot' do you speak of? Perhaps you are not hopeful to save your emotions from being shot down?? I understand. Sony and ubisofts did that to me last year so im not going in with any intentions that anything from those two will make me happy.... :'(

What 'back foot' do you speak of? Perhaps you are not hopeful to save your emotions from being shot down?? I understand. Sony and ubisofts did that to me last year so im not going in with any intentions that anything from those two will make me happy.... :'(

I mean in terms of perception and sales. Microsoft have more to prove than Sony purely out of necessity. The PS4 has been selling like hotcakes despite Sony's 1st party output being less than mediocre overall. The moment Sony hit their stride (to quote Tretton who said that many times), it could be a bloodbath. Microsoft need to strike now while Sony look at their most complacent.

What I will say is well done Microsoft for taking Gamescom seriously. IMO Sony are making a huge mistake by not having a conference there, even if it is updates on games and a few little announcements. I've been critical of Microsoft in the past for being less than enthusiastic about Gamescom when Sony go at it hard (last years conference was ace) and now this year the shoe is on the other foot.

Maybe Sony are spreading themselves too thin. They go everywhere usually.

Anyways, I digress. Apologies for the derail.

I do wonder how long QB will be given the story choices.

Daria

hopefully they're not just going to rehash the same old from other conferences and instead make room for new IPs and demos

A while ago I think, but we haven't had much info since then, even the Gamescom demo last year was just... a demo and that was it.

Someone said they were filming somewhere in the US fairly recently, I think they have just talked about it much less because people don't want to hear about "TV", they'll bring it out when the time is right.

REMEDY are known to push back their games constantly. I just feel they over-design a lot of their titles and bring some of that excess bagage into production and then realise too late that the task is too big to meet deadlines.

It happened with all of their titles except for Max Payne 2 which was done in over a year.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's always expected with them.

I mean in terms of perception and sales. Microsoft have more to prove than Sony purely out of necessity. The PS4 has been selling like hotcakes despite Sony's 1st party output being less than mediocre overall. The moment Sony hit their stride (to quote Tretton who said that many times), it could be a bloodbath. Microsoft need to strike now while Sony look at their most complacent.

What I will say is well done Microsoft for taking Gamescom seriously. IMO Sony are making a huge mistake by not having a conference there, even if it is updates on games and a few little announcements. I've been critical of Microsoft in the past for being less than enthusiastic about Gamescom when Sony go at it hard (last years conference was ace) and now this year the shoe is on the other foot.

Maybe Sony are spreading themselves too thin. They go everywhere usually.

Anyways, I digress. Apologies for the derail.

I do wonder how long QB will be given the story choices.

aaaahh! I understand now.

I hope it will be 15+ hours. Though, i don't remember any 3rd person action/adventure game that long...

Microsoft need to strike now while Sony look at their most complacent.

ahhh the "ps4 has no games* therefore complacent" argument.

*aaa only
*holiday 2015 only

i wonder how and why this bullshit started, to be honest.

on topic, they've been showing this game since 2013. it's looking like even ffxv will release earlier than qb.

shandy706

*aaa only
*holiday 2015 only

on topic, they've been showing this game since 2013. it's looking like even ffxv will release earlier than qb.

Did you completely ignore the rest of his post?

That's not what he implied or the point of his post. Also, he used the word "look"...not the word "are". Reading comprehension ;).

keit4

Banned
Uh, people complains about QB being announced early but it's not by any means the worst offender of this. The Last Guardian anyone?

shandy706

to even say they are looking complacent is pure bullshit anyway.

We can't define how they may look to other people. That guy may think they look complacent.

His view isn't negated by yours, or mine. Maybe he has a higher standard for the appearance of aggressiveness?

haha

Perhaps he was hoping for 4 or 5 first party games and a dump truck of woven money hats.

keit4

Banned
Are you saying that "Quantum Break" is the new "The Last Guardian"?

lol Not even close. QB is coming early next year.

I'm just saying that announcing a game three years early is not that bad compared to other situations.

*aaa only
*holiday 2015 only

They look complacent compared to what we know they can put out from a 1st party perspective. Not saying they don't have any games - I would say as a publisher they make more games to my tastes than any other - I just think that they've let things slide a little. It is nowhere near the quality we got at the last few years of PS3. I'm sure they'll come good.

My point was that Microsoft would do well to make a big splash now while Sony's 1st party output is less than optimal. When else is a better time? As soon as Sony cut price and start shipping their big guns it'll be too late.

We can't define how they may look to other people. That guy may think they look complacent.

His view isn't negated by yours, or mine. Maybe he has a higher standard for the appearance of aggressiveness?

haha

how is haviing more retail games, more downloadable games, having more partnerships, having more initiatives in other areas like game streaming and vr, even going to more press conferences every year supposed to "look complacent" by merits of opinion?

there are facts and there are bullshit.

again, i do not know how this bullshit has propagated. even the games media are piling on this stupidity.

i don't want to derail, so we should get back on topic here.

shandy706

how is haviing more retail games, more downloadable games, having more partnerships, having more initiatives in other areas like game streaming and vr, even going to more press conferences every year supposed to "look complacent" by merits of opinion?

again, i do not know how this bullshit has propagated. even the games media are piling on this stupidity.

Try to relax my man. You seem riled up too early.

It's gonna be worse when E3 hits. Sony & Microsoft are both going to bring the heat...so don't worry.

Ignore the "no games" people :). There's no such thing as a console with no games.

OT, looking forward to seeing QB at Gamescom. I really wanted to see it at E3, but the wait is short.

But they have shown gameplay

Wasn't it pre-recorded? I would imagine they (both MS and Remedy) want to give this game the spotlight it deserves and doing so means a live stage demo of something new other than the pre-recorded stuff from gamescom 2014. So again, whatever they want to show you isn't ready for prim etime. Thats just my two cents.

I know the same happened last year, but for something as big as this game to be missing E3 yet again, it gives me further reason to be excited as hell about what Microsoft has planned for E3.

Kssio_Aug

Jesus! E3 really intensifies some people emotions, doesnt it?

Calm down!! He is just saying that Sony is apparently not in their best shape right now (compared to what they may become later), what I actually agree with.

watership

We've known since April that QB wasn't due until 2016. They're not ready to show much more yet I guess. I was hoping to see some new footage however. Oh, can you tell E3 is close? Every since thread about MS is heavy with concern and trolls.

dancmc

well, at least E3 and Gamescom are not that far apart this year....by the time I have digested E3 content; it will be just in time for the Gamescom leaks to start rolling out

Top Bottom