• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Your PC Thread2 of Voiding Warranties

scogoth

God damn. I want nehalem back!

Gu3dfXX.png

scogoth

Cook it? No I upped the voltage more. Sitting pretty at 66C but still tons of parity errors =(
I like the good old days where processors would just crash. Also the on screen OSD TweakIt is pretty awesome, no reboots to change settings

Thorgal

Is this thread still going ?

P10227- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (Classified )- 1.020/1.750/stock- 3770 at 3.4mhz -16.384 MB at 800 MHz-ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LX2 -Thorgal link

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Clock your 780Ti, my $250 card is faster :p
P10451 - GTX670 (+149(1286 Boost)/3780/1.180V) - 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Kraken X60 Water - Link (Dirty no reboot run)
Kind of want to reboot, but I'll do it later...
Stock Reference Cooler results:

P14488 - R9 290 (1135/1500/+50mV/+25PL) - 3770K @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Kraken X60 Water - Link 3DM11
P14940 - MSI R9 290 (1200/1625/+100mV/+50PL) - 3770K @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Kraken X60 Water - Link 3DM11

10547 - R9 290 (1135/1500/+50mV/+25PL) - 3770K @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Kraken X60 Water - Link 3DMark - Fire Strike
10921 - MSI R9 290 (1200/1625/+100mV/+50PL) - 3770K @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Kraken X60 Water - Link 3DMark - Fire Strike

2803 / 67.0FPS - R9 290 (1135/1500/+50mV/+25PL) - 3770K @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Kraken X60 Water - Valley EHD
2911 / 69.6FPS - MSI R9 290 (1200/1625/+100mV/+50PL) - 3770K @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Kraken X60 Water - Link Valley EHD

red731

Guys, question -

I am now on stable 4.4 with i7 3770k. Would there be any reason to try and hunt for the 4.5 or 4.7? Meaning hunting for just 100Hz OC?

I am happy with my temps - I use asrock's extreme 6 HW controller for three fans in Fractal Desire 4 case - up front fan IN, back fan OUT and top case back fan IN.

When there are hot temperatures (hot ambient air) I roll with 12V which cools the HW pretty good, watching movies and playing not demanding games at 7V (still talking about the mobo HW fan speed[pulses] controller).

scogoth

Guys, question -

I am now on stable 4.4 with i7 3770k. Would there be any reason to try and hunt for the 4.5 or 4.7? Meaning hunting for just 100Hz OC?

I am happy with my temps - I use asrock's extreme 6 HW controller for three fans in Fractal Desire 4 case - up front fan IN, back fan OUT and top case back fan IN.

When there are hot temperatures (hot ambient air) I roll with 12V which cools the HW pretty good, watching movies and playing not demanding games at 7V (still talking about the mobo HW fan speed[pulses] controller).

epeen. Do it

red731

epeen. Got you.

So, should I buy second blade master fan for hyper evo 212+? That cpu_fan_2 is waiting for something to be plugged in.

LegoDad

Time to take back the SLI 460 crown. Got bored tonight and decided to push further. I could beat the 580 with a small tweak to GPU.

P7734 - 2x GTX 460 1GB - 830Mhz/2015 - i7-970 @ 4.2Ghz - 16GB RAM @ 1600Mhz - Asus X58 Sabertooth - caliblue15 - link

Hi PC GAF! i dropped a R9 290 into my pc and have a question about overclocking.

Is 1100/1300 safe for the R9 290? during fire strike my gpu peaked at 66C (cpu peaked at 74C) - are my temps safe for both?

Score 9581 with a 3570k@4.2ghz and the 1100/1300 clocks on the new card
Score 8600 with stock card clocks. Are these good results and is my overclock safe?
Heaven benched @ 1100/1300 clocks as well, max gpu temp 67C.

i8QMdftbbD5fp.png

Helznicht

So looking at upgrading my 6yo PC. It has a core duo quad at 2.8ghz. As its at 45nm cpu I feel it should have the stretch to get into the 3.2ghz range easily.

so in your guys opinion, 3.2 ghz x 4 cores is still very viable for gaming right?

Now part 2, getting to 3.2. the 2.8 ghz is 8.5x 333.3 clock. My MB is a Nforce 650i. (Dell XPS, yeah I know). NOTHING I have tried will get it to post past 1333 fsb (even 1334 prevents post) so I am thinking the Motherboard is just refusing to let this happen. As the nforce lets you separate fsb and mem clock speeds, my mem is not holding me back (in fact I have a meager +50 mhz oc on the mem already.

Questions:

1) can i use 650i nforce drivers from nvidia on this, would updating them help in overclocking?
2) whats the most voltage you woudl recomend on my CPU as this mb lets me adjust that.
3) woudl upping voltage on the chipset help in getting over 1333 hump?

Thanks guys!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So looking at upgrading my 6yo PC. It has a core duo quad at 2.8ghz. As its at 45nm cpu I feel it should have the stretch to get into the 3.2ghz range easily.

so in your guys opinion, 3.2 ghz x 4 cores is still very viable for gaming right?

Now part 2, getting to 3.2. the 2.8 ghz is 8.5x 333.3 clock. My MB is a Nforce 650i. (Dell XPS, yeah I know). NOTHING I have tried will get it to post past 1333 fsb (even 1334 prevents post) so I am thinking the Motherboard is just refusing to let this happen. As the nforce lets you separate fsb and mem clock speeds, my mem is not holding me back (in fact I have a meager +50 mhz oc on the mem already.

Questions:

1) can i use 650i nforce drivers from nvidia on this, would updating them help in overclocking?
2) whats the most voltage you woudl recomend on my CPU as this mb lets me adjust that.
3) woudl upping voltage on the chipset help in getting over 1333 hump?

Thanks guys!
Time to move on I think. I'm surprised it even let you change the FSB tbh

CBTech

Ok, so I was messing around with overclocking my CPU, but I seem to be having temperature issues way earlier than I thought I would. I have an old Phenom ii x6 1090T 3.2GHz, stock cooler (or if not it is not a water cooler), and 8GB of 1333MHz RAM. I am not sure if it is the black edition or not. I'm following the Phenom guide in the OP.

Without overclocking I and running Prime95 for about 10 minutes, I was getting temperatures around 47C. I bumped my multiplier by 1 which brought the processor to something like 3.4. When I ran the stress test I was already getting above 55C. I think the highest I saw before stopping the test was 57C.

Is ~47 pretty standard for non-overclocking? Also, is that increase in temperature to be expected and how should I minimize it? I'm planning on reseating my heat sink with new thermal paste.

thespot84

Ok, so I was messing around with overclocking my CPU, but I seem to be having temperature issues way earlier than I thought I would. I have an old Phenom ii x6 1090T 3.2GHz, stock cooler (or if not it is not a water cooler), and 8GB of 1333MHz RAM. I am not sure if it is the black edition or not. I'm following the Phenom guide in the OP.

Without overclocking I and running Prime95 for about 10 minutes, I was getting temperatures around 47C. I bumped my multiplier by 1 which brought the processor to something like 3.4. When I ran the stress test I was already getting above 55C. I think the highest I saw before stopping the test was 57C.

Is ~47 pretty standard for non-overclocking? Also, is that increase in temperature to be expected and how should I minimize it? I'm planning on reseating my heat sink with new thermal paste.

was your prime 95 stable? Did you only change the multiplier and not the voltage?

thespot84

Not sure about the Prime95 stability. How do I tell if it is stable? I only increased the multiplier thought I probably didn't need to quite yet.

How long did you run P95? and did it ever blue screen (no blue screen = stable). I'm not too familiar with AMD unfortunately

EDIT: this seems relevant: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/11. In order to get anything substantial out of it you'll probably have to up your voltage (what is it now?) and once you do that you'll probably need a non-stock cooler if you dont' already have one. Judging from your temps I'd guess you're stock.

CBTech

How long did you run P95? and did it ever blue screen (no blue screen = stable). I'm not too familiar with AMD unfortunately

EDIT: this seems relevant: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/11. In order to get anything substantial out of it you'll probably have to up your voltage (what is it now?) and once you do that you'll probably need a non-stock cooler if you dont' already have one. Judging from your temps I'd guess you're stock.

So I re seated my heat sink and I'm getting much better temps now. Standard is giving me about 38C during stress testing.

When I bump the clock to 3.8 and 1.35 volts my temps hit 60C in 4 minutes. I've heard that the max temp on a stable oc is 55C. Is the only way to lower temp without getting a new cooler lowering the cpu clock rate?

thespot84

So I re seated my heat sink and I'm getting much better temps now. Standard is giving me about 38C during stress testing.

When I bump the clock to 3.8 and 1.35 volts my temps hit 60C in 4 minutes. I've heard that the max temp on a stable oc is 55C. Is the only way to lower temp without getting a new cooler lowering the cpu clock rate?

lowering voltage should lower temps, but at some point you're clock will be too high relative to your voltage and you'll start getting blue screens. I read somewhere that 60C was the max for OC on that chip, but don't' take my word for it.

CBTech

lowering voltage should lower temps, but at some point you're clock will be too high relative to your voltage and you'll start getting blue screens. I read somewhere that 60C was the max for OC on that chip, but don't' take my word for it.

The standard voltage is 1.35 and I haven't bumped it up yet for my 3.8 overclock. I doubt I'll be able to lower it too much or at all since it is already at base. I might just have to settle for a slightly lower OC. I should try it at 3.6. I loaded up FFXIV with my 3.8 OC, my temps were in the low 40s the entire time and I was getting a solid 10+ extra frames. Hopefully I find a way to get a stable 3.8.

60 is the max for the chip. I've just heard to be safe you should try to never let it get above 55.

Huge bump, I am currently overclocking my GTX 970 through Precision X 16. I have the GPU Clock Offset at +85MHZ and the Memory Clock Offset at +175MHZ. Despite that when I play The Witcher 3 I get artifacts popping up. This only happens in The Witcher 3 and didn't occur in other games I played such as Shadow of Mordor or benchmarks such as Heaven. Do I need to increase the voltage or is this somehow The Witcher 3's fault? The GPU Temp doesn't go beyond the mid 60s Celsius.

LilJoka

Huge bump, I am currently overclocking my GTX 970 through Precision X 16. I have the GPU Clock Offset at +85MHZ and the Memory Clock Offset at +175MHZ. Despite that when I play The Witcher 3 I get artifacts popping up. This only happens in The Witcher 3 and didn't occur in other games I played such as Shadow of Mordor or benchmarks such as Heaven. Do I need to increase the voltage or is this somehow The Witcher 3's fault? The GPU Temp doesn't go beyond the mid 60s Celsius.

You have to tell us the actual clock speeds, not offsets. Use the OSD to read the clock speeds in game.

Use GPUz to tell us the ASIC.

LilJoka

1459MHZ
Power = ~96% at max

Don't know what ASIC is. I downloaded GPUZ but I can't find that option.

Right click the top window bar of GPUz, there should be an option to show ASIC.

1459Mhz is just a little above average. Its odd that it only artefacts in Witcher 3, as you are only at 96% power limit, try giving it some more Core Voltage.

LilJoka

When I click "Read ASIC" it says ASIC quality of 72.3%.

Cool, thats pretty decent card, i think you should just see how a bit of extra Core voltage goes. Remember the core voltage increase will actually increase clocks too, so you may have to use a slightly lower offset for the same 1450Mhz clock speed.

Cool, thats pretty decent card, i think you should just see how a bit of extra Core voltage goes. Remember the core voltage increase will actually increase clocks too, so you may have to use a slightly lower offset for the same 1450Mhz clock speed.

I went into Precision X 16 and increased the Voltage by 12mV. No change so far, artifacts still show up. Unless that isn't the core voltage or I have to increase it even more.

LilJoka

I went into Precision X 16 and increased the Voltage by 12mV. No change so far, artifacts still show up. Unless that isn't the core voltage or I have to increase it even more.

That is the right option, monitor the voltage in the OSD to see if its taking effect.
Because of how the boost clocks work, its best to use the OSD to check, as there are lots of variables that effect if its actually going to do what you tell it to do.

Keep the power limit at 110% too.

You may try to reduce the Memory Clock to 0Mhz to just isolate the Core OC too.

That is the right option, monitor the voltage in the OSD to see if its taking effect.
Because of how the boost clocks work, its best to use the OSD to check, as there are lots of variables that effect if its actually going to do what you tell it to do.

Keep the power limit at 110% too.

You may try to reduce the Memory Clock to 0Mhz to just isolate the Core OC too.

I like the memory clock higher because ever since I found out about the whole 3.5GB diabolical I want the memory clock OC too.

LilJoka

I like the memory clock higher because ever since I found out about the whole 3.5GB diabolical I want the memory clock OC too.

Well you will find that it has almost no impact in games really. Remember the offset is quad pumped, meaning +175 is effective + 700, so 7700Mhz from 7000Mhz. You should still turn it to 0Mhz to isolate the core OC, and if it still artefacts you know its not the memory OC. You cant increase the memory voltage, and different game can utilise it differently, causing more/less stability per game.

If your GPU has VRAM modules on the rear of the card, these will be passively cooled, so long play sessions at high Memory OCs will cause temps to build up and induce further instability.

Top Bottom