• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Your PC Thread2 of Voiding Warranties

scogoth

Clocked slightly higher:

P18417 - 3x Powercolor 7970 (1075/1475/stock) i7-3820 @4.4ghz - 16GB @2133 - Asus P9X79 - Dr. Light -Air Link

I haven't pushed this system to the limit (don't like playing with voltages, etc.) I get very nervous about overclocking. I know I can squeeze a bit more out of the both the GPUs and CPU if I increase the voltage, but..what for?

epeen! That's what this thread is all about

Dr. Light

Don't upgrade your CPU Dr. Light...not for gaming purposes, anyway. If you wanna bench higher - than sure! :)

But really, you should OC. It's safe. Intel even sells insurance for it if you're that nervous! http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

When my PC starts doing that wheezing sound and won't start because I set the "CPU VCORE strap ratio multiplier" too high, it scares the shit out of me. I had to re-flash the BIOS with a flash drive in order to reset it.

BTW, sk3tch, what IS your Luxmark score? I'm honestly curious. Have you tried it?

FtsH

Clocked slightly higher:

P18417 - 3x Powercolor 7970 (1075/1475/stock) i7-3820 @4.4ghz - 16GB @2133 - Asus P9X79 - Dr. Light -Air Link

Jesus, the CPU score is killing me....

If I had a pair of non-reference 680s I would beat you :) Not on graphics score of course. Overclocking on 680 reference cards is so voltage limited by hardware design. Now all those customized cards are out, someone will get over P20000 with 680 SLI soon, I feel.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
P9412 - x1 (Sapphire) Radeon HD 7970 - 1125/1575/1.6v - Intel 2700k @ 4.5 ghz - 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 - ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - Kit Airwave - Stock/Air - Link

sk3tch

When my PC starts doing that wheezing sound and won't start because I set the "CPU VCORE strap ratio multiplier" too high, it scares the shit out of me. I had to re-flash the BIOS with a flash drive in order to reset it.

BTW, sk3tch, what IS your Luxmark score? I'm honestly curious. Have you tried it?

I'll test it soon. Just downloaded it. I have been having some funky results (50 fps MW3 at 1080p? lol) and I pinned it to not powering the 6-pin connector that's on my ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. I guess with quad-SLI it's recommended to allow for that extra juice. Need to grab a 6-pin adapter from my video card boxes but they're locked away in my sleeping 22 month old sons room...not going to risk it. So we'll see what comes out of it tomorrow night. :)

EDIT: got a 2640 in Sala and GPU-only...can't submit for some reason even though I'm regged at the forum. Doesn't seem like those are very impressive results. Card OC'd itself to 1197 MHz core the whole time, too.

kennah

P3682 - HD6850 - 850/1150/stock - Q6600 @ 3.0GHz - RAM @ 800MHz - MSI 7360 - kennah - Air Zalman 9700 - link

I wish there were more Q6600s here. I got it to reliably overclock to 3.2ghz but it didn't change the 3dmark at all.

Or anyone with a 2500K with a 6850.

Le-mo

Gaf, I need help overclocking my i5 2500K to 4.5gHz on my Intel DP67GB mobo. The thing is I have never done any overclocking before so ANY help is appreciated. Hazaro suggested I start with 1.30V@4.4gHz and work from there, but I'm hesitant to.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay. After working about 70 hours a week (plus GAF of course), and mending my wife's broken back for the last 3 weeks, I believe I now have time!

Will update as much as possible tonight, will probably have a 1-2 hour window to to do it.

Gaf, I need help overclocking my i5 2500K to 4.5gHz on my Intel DP67GB mobo. The thing is I have never done any overclocking before so ANY help is appreciated. Hazaro suggested I start with 1.30V@4.4gHz and work from there, but I'm hesitant to.
OP has overclocking guides. 1.3 volts is no big deal as long as you have the cooling to support it. Go for it.

scogoth

Okay. After working about 70 hours a week (plus GAF of course), and mending my wife's broken back for the last 3 weeks, I believe I now have time!

Will update as much as possible tonight, will probably have a 1-2 hour window to to do it.

OP has overclocking guides. 1.3 volts is no big deal as long as you have the cooling to support it. Go for it.

I need your help with something. Tell me wether I should suck it up and get IB and Z77 because I will notice no difference in gaming or tell me to stop being a pussy and drop a grand on X79 mobo + 3930K.

sk3tch

I need your help with something. Tell me wether I should suck it up and get IB and Z77 because I will notice no difference in gaming or tell me to stop being a pussy and drop a grand on X79 mobo + 3930K.

Dude, you know the answer. Just do it. You'll always second guess your choice if you don't go with what you really want...P.S. I'm selling my ASUS P9X79 Pro with 32GB of matching Corsair DDR3 Vengeance...just saying... :-D

Has anyone tweaked the Voltage on their GTX 680? Haven't seen much on that aspect of overclocking it.

Yeah, I've got mine maxed via EVGA Precision X...which isn't saying much...680 OCing has been neutered quite a bit compared to "the old days".

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Don't listen to these people!
Value! Sensibility! SB + Z77 go!

sk3tch

Don't listen to these people!
Value! Sensibility! SB + Z77 go!

Ha...what are you afraid of? Let him make up his own mind on the direction he wants to go with his build. X79 has serious value - compatibility today with SB-E and compatibility in the future with IVB-E. Nevermind the quad-SLI/CFX capabilities, Hexa-core processors (great for spreadsheets!), and 8 DIMM slots... :-D

mkenyon

Banned
Instead of updating this thread, I have spent the evening helping a fellow GAFer go from a Core Duo + 4870 to a ~$4K rig.

I feel bad, and awesome. I tried going lower, but he's pretty intent on coming in here and shitting on Sk3tch. :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Instead of updating this thread, I have spent the evening helping a fellow GAFer go from a Core Duo + 4870 to a ~$4K rig.

I feel bad, and awesome. I tried going lower, but he's pretty intent on coming in here and shitting on Sk3tch. :p
Well, with the trend in performance it'll probably last 10 years.

Dude, you know the answer. Just do it. You'll always second guess your choice if you don't go with what you really want...P.S. I'm selling my ASUS P9X79 Pro with 32GB of matching Corsair DDR3 Vengeance...just saying... :-D

Yeah, I've got mine maxed via EVGA Precision X...which isn't saying much...680 OCing has been neutered quite a bit compared to "the old days".

What is the max voltage? Any thing to look out for other than heat?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I remember spending $4,000 on a computer.

In 1994.

pentium 133 mhz
16 mb ram
2mb vga card

$4500

but he's pretty intent on coming in here and shitting on Sk3tch. :p

Pray tell, how does one shit on quad sli 680s :p? Or maybe he's playing with dual Xeon E5-2690? For some godless reason.

FtsH

What is the max voltage? Any thing to look out for other than heat?

Want to play with voltage? check this: http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682

I think reference cards are bios and hardware limited to 1.175V. Talking about heat, this is what I'm experimenting now:
h100ongpu2.jpg

and it works:)
11191300sliuberon2.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Pray tell, how does one shit on quad sli 680s :p? Or maybe he's playing with dual Xeon E5-2690? For some godless reason.
With quad-SLI 680s that are better, and a better CPU cooling system for higher bench runs.
*edit*
Actually looks like 7970s scale better.

scogoth

Looks like I'm out of the running for now. Due to my lack of excitement over ivy bridge and wanting to have the latest thing I've decided to get all my watercooling parts now for my current build then do a full update in the fall when IB-E hits. Im also going to join the triple monitor 120hz club and see how my two 470s handle it.

sk3tch

Im also going to join the triple monitor 120hz club and see how my two 470s handle it.

Single monitor...yes. But tri-mon 120hz will not be a happy experience for you with those two cards. Unless you're just using one monitor and the other two are for statistics and email/twitter.

Ignore all of that if you're just investing in something for now. But in that case - you may as well wait. BenQ has great stuff - when it shows up to your door working. And their support is super bogged down. ASUS is looking good but they only have a 27" gen2 120hz - nothing in the "sweet spot" of 23-24". The rest (Samsung?) are decent but no one stands out.

scogoth

Single monitor...yes. But tri-mon 120hz will not be a happy experience for you with those two cards. Unless you're just using one monitor and the other two are for statistics and email/twitter.

Ignore all of that if you're just investing in something for now. But in that case - you may as well wait. BenQ has great stuff - when it shows up to your door working. And their support is super bogged down. ASUS is looking good but they only have a 27" gen2 120hz - nothing in the "sweet spot" of 23-24". The rest (Samsung?) are decent but no one stands out.

I'm buying two more vg236h's for cheap. I don't need gen2 for 120hz and no point wasting money by buying 3 new monitors. I know I won't be able to play bf3 triple monitor but for older games like tf2 and l4d2 it should run fine. I can still buy the 680s before the fall I just want to wait till the hydro copper classifieds come out.

kamspy

Score will be posted soon. Posting in thread to subscribe. Going to see how much a change I get on my unique CPU situation going from a 580 GTX to a 680 GTX.

If google is to be believed, I'm the only person in the world with a AMD 1055t upgrading from a 580 to a 680. Soon there will be a recorded history of it for the other person in the world who owns that CPU.

P6189 - EVGA 580 GTX - 797/2025/1.088v - AMD Phenom II X6 1055t @ 3.36Ghz constant (bios tweak) - Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz - MSI 870A-G54 - kamspy - EVGA DS heatsink on GPU - http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3278069;jsessionid=1q3kvhb33gj5x1ue7vhxrawffd

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So what the hell is wrong with my PC?

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3278069;jsessionid=1q3kvhb33gj5x1ue7vhxrawffd

Is my CPU really that bad??
1) Your AMD 3.3Ghz system is being compared to 4.6Ghz Sandy Bridge systems
2) Lower CPU hurts combined and physics which artificially bring down your score more so than FPS.
3) Your 580 should be at least at 860MHz core
P6183 - Powercolor HD6950 2GB (1002/1432/1.300V) - 2500K @ 4.7Ghz - 8GB GSkill DDR3 @ 1333 - ASUS P8P67 PRO - Hazaro - Air - Link
P6649 - GTX570 (868/2090/1.100V) - 2500K @ 4.2Ghz - 8GB GSkill DDR3 @ 1333 - ASUS P8P67 PRO - Hazaro - Air - Link

kamspy

1) Your AMD 3.3Ghz system is being compared to 4.6Ghz Sandy Bridge systems
2) Lower CPU hurts combined and physics which artificially bring down your score more so than FPS.
3) Your 580 should be at least at 860MHz core

Thanks. I'm gonna try 860. I meant to run on 850 but did stock. I know 900 is not game stable on my card. It will get through some benches at 900s. But crashes a lot of games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, that statement makes sense when there's tri 680 and 7970 scores up ...
There's the $400 market and the $1,000 market. No in between :D
Thanks. I'm gonna try 860. I meant to run on 850 but did stock. I know 900 is not game stable on my card. It will get through some benches at 900s. But crashes a lot of games.
Should net you around 6600 I think.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Plus plenty of people on Gaf has bought single 680s, just expected to see them benched in here.

Guess not when you call people stupid.
Perhaps they are just sitting on their 580's then?
And I had no intention of putting down others for buying 680s if you get that vibe. I'm just ribbing you guys who can drop that money.

Sethos

Banned
Perhaps they are just sitting on their 580's then?
And I had no intention of putting down others for buying 680s if you get that vibe. I'm just ribbing you guys who can drop that money.

They probably don't have any interest in the thread, is my bet. Sorry for that weird snap, been home all week sick as a dog - It's getting to me.

You'd just think people would fly in and snag #1 Nvidia Single GPU and SLI setup, it's ripe for the taking. Guess not :p

Corky

With quad-SLI 680s that are better, and a better CPU cooling system for higher bench runs.
*edit*
Actually looks like 7970s scale better.

Oh, you mean that kind of shitting lol, forgot I was in the racing thread :D.

kamspy

So how hamstrung will my 680 GTX that's showing up in a couple weeks be?

Is there any reason to hold out hope for getting better perf out of the CPU as games begin to use more threads? BF3 actually uses all 6.

Corky

So how hamstrung will my 680 GTX that's showing up in a couple weeks be?

Is there any reason to hold out hope for getting better perf out of the CPU as games begin to use more threads? BF3 actually uses all 6.

Don't worry about your cpu when it comes to games unless you play at like 800x600 res.

u7kgi.png

Really, no ones done single or 680 SLI? or have I missed something
I posted my result a few weeks ago, but I don't think the list has been updated in a while.
P10462 - EVGA GTX 680 - 132%/+160/+560 - i7 950 @ 4.0ghz - 12GB @ 1600 - ASUS Rampage Formula III - Revolutionary - Air - Link

It's an awesome card.

Dr. Light

Don't worry about your cpu when it comes to games unless you play at like 800x600 res.

u7kgi.png

Crysis Warhead is CPU bottlenecked on my system at maximum Enthusiast 2560 x 1440 8xAA. Disabling one the the cards and running in 2x mode makes virtually no difference in the gameplay framerate, only in unplayable cutscenes.

Stuff that I always assumed was purely GPU limited, like the SF4 benchmark, also seems to hit a wall at around 300fps. Running in 2x mode made little difference.

I guess that's what happens when you spend $1500+ on GPUs and $300 on a CPU.

...Which is at the top of that chart, oddly...

I posted my result a few weeks ago, but I don't think the list has been updated in a while.
P10462 - EVGA GTX 680 - 132%/+160/+560 - i7 950 @ 4.0ghz - 12GB @ 1600 - ASUS Rampage Formula III - Revolutionary - Air - Link

It's an awesome card.

Interesting...

Compared to Sketch's 3x 680 rig, his FPS is about 2.5-2.6x highter.

Compared to Kit Airwave's (higher clocked) single 7970, my scores are about 2.8x higher.

Does CFX now scale better than SLI? Did AMD actually do something right?

sk3tch

Interesting...

Compared to Sketch's 3x 680 rig, his FPS is about 2.5-2.6x highter.

Compared to Kit Airwave's (higher clocked) single 7970, my scores are about 2.8x higher.

Does CFX now scale better than SLI? Did AMD actually do something right?

Yes, CrossFireX (7970) currently scales better than SLI (680) - especially in 3-4 card variants. Nvidia is pretty bad off right now. I went from 3 cards to 4 and it was not really even an improvement, lol...other than for benches. It's such a joke when you get to 3-4 graphic cards. I definitely do not recommend it! But it's fun! I expect things to work smoothly in a month or two. :)

sk3tch

My "guest" PC:

P15818 - 2x MSI Radeon 7970 - 1.175v/1125/1575 - 3930k @ 4.4Ghz (1.41v) - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600 - MSI Big Bang-XPower II - sk3tch - Closed Water (H100) - Link

FtsH

Really, no ones done single or 680 SLI? or have I missed something

just OP not updated...

P18666 2x Gigabyte GTX680(1166/1902/1.150) i7-3930k@4.7G 16GB@2133 ASUS Rampage IV Formula - Ftsh - Phanteks PH-TC14PE/Air Link

question: Am I reaching the limit of my 750W PSU? Guru3D measured 170~180W for one GTX680 loaded. And I read it here that SBE CPU @4.7G will draw 315W. So CPU+2xGPU here I got 175*2+315=665W. Then add in mobo, hard drive, RAM and all those fans...looks like it's gonna be really close to 750. Am I calculating it correct?

abasm

P4842 - HD6870 (1000/1200/1250mV) - 2500K @ 4.5GHz - 8 GB @ 1333MHz - Gigabyte Z77-D3H - abasm - CM Hyper 212+ (air) - link

Pretty pleased with these results. I'm still doing stress-testing, but the overclocks seem stable and the temps are reasonable under load.

scogoth

Yes, CrossFireX (7970) currently scales better than SLI (680) - especially in 3-4 card variants. Nvidia is pretty bad off right now. I went from 3 cards to 4 and it was not really even an improvement, lol...other than for benches. It's such a joke when you get to 3-4 graphic cards. I definitely do not recommend it! But it's fun! I expect things to work smoothly in a month or two. :)

Scales better if it works. Crossfire compatibility is pretty dismal.

Top Bottom