• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

Been fasting for the past two days to gauge how I would handle Ramadan. It has been very easy since I do intermittent fasting anyway.

Ramadan is going to be so much fun, this time I can properly be committed since no exams coming.

Going to be cool to see that Ramadan tv show on Channel 4, Monday.

What are these lies in the OP about feeling little fatigue due to being used to it? The fatigue gets easier to deal with over the course of the month but these summer fasts just kill me. Lucky me, the bar is this month. ;_; I tell myself God will help me pass the bar for studying during a fast, but I will for sure break my fast for the three days of the exam. I'm excited though, because I want to lose a littl weight and it's a lot easier during Ramadan since you can have a lot more calories at once... XD but also you save a lot of time not eating which means more study time. And since I'm locked up in the house studying all day no being forced to go out and speak to people with the infamous Ramadan breath.

Though I have to say, my dental hygiene is never as good as it is during Ramadan because I brush my teeth like a maniac whenever I have to interact with people (being very careful not to swallow any water of course).

Ramadan Mubarak to my Muslim bros and sisters on GAF! <3

Ramadan Mubarak everyone :D

Laughing Banana said:
If I may ask, how's Ramadan changes your gaming habit, GAF?

I cannot play games that have violence, profanity, etc. I think I'm going to put my focus on Lufia: The Fortress of Doom on SNES.

Happy fasting Muslim GAF.

I've fasted a few times in my life out of social pressure (went to a Jewish day school for most of my schooling), and a few times out of laziness (too busy playing video games to get up and get food). I don't envy you guys at all, but good luck.

I cannot play games that have violence, profanity, etc. I think I'm going to play Lufia: The Fortress of Doom on SNES.

Interesting. Is that only during Ramadan that you can't play violent games? Does that include violence directed at mythological creatures? Like Final Fantasy where you hit giant weird lizards with swords? Technically would Mario games be forbidden since you stomp on goombas? I have no idea how strict the no violence rule is.

Happy fasting Muslim GAF.

I've fasted a few times in my life out of social pressure (went to a Jewish day school for most of my schooling), and a few times out of laziness (too busy playing video games to get up and get food). I don't envy you guys at all, but good luck.

Interesting. Is that only during Ramadan that you can't play violent games? Does that include violence directed at mythological creatures? Like Final Fantasy where you hit giant weird lizards with swords? Technically would Mario games be forbidden since you stomp on goombas? I have no idea how strict the no violence rule is.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule, I'm pretty sure if you were proper then you'd avoid all media. But yeah stylised violence should be ok (Zeno Clash 2 replay!).

iECoJmvlxWRjl.gif

bidguy

Banned
17 hours from where i live
last time i was on vacation so it wasnt that hard but its going to get brutal again i guess

ramadan mubarak to everyone.

Lamel

Banned
I'm going to be working out, but luckily I am cutting so it should go hand in hand. Still, lifting weights is gonna be rough as shit. I took this last week as rest.

Bring it on.

liger05

Wait what is it I'm hearing that Ramadan is starting on Wednesday July 10th?

I still don't understand why mosques/countries set a date. Ramadan starts when the moon in sighted regardless of where that may be.

I cycle to work daily 12.5 miles each way. Still gonna cycle during Ramadan but skipping the gym.

I still don't understand why mosques/countries set a date. Ramadan starts when the moon in sighted regardless of where that may be.

I cycle to work daily 12.5 miles each way. Still gonna cycle during Ramadan but skipping the gym.

Dont they do astronomical calculations on moon phases and come up with a two day window? First time I'm hearing Wednesday being thrown around.

Madouu

Happy Ramadan to everyone!

First Ramadan with the family at home in three years, I missed it. Hopefully all will be good :)

d[-_-]b

Banned
Ramadan Mubarik ( Kareem ;) )
It feels like an eternity since last Ramadan for some reason... also it seems the thread is a little early :O.

This is not meant to poke fun or be an ass, but I'm wondering, does anyone know of any individual practicing Ramadan in a location such as Alaska? They have something like 18-19 hour days up there. Seems like they would have it the roughest of all, haha.

Anyway, I'm not a Muslim, but am religious, so I wish you all the best with your fasting.

This is not meant to poke fun or be an ass, but I'm wondering, does anyone know of any individual practicing Ramadan in a location such as Alaska? They have something like 18-19 hour days up there. Seems like they would have it the roughest of all, haha.

Anyway, I'm not a Muslim, but am religious, so I wish you all the best with your fasting.

i am quite up north with 17 hour days. it does get hard and there are rules for not harming your self if it gets to that point i believe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OH GAWD WAKE UP AT 3.30 AM TO EAT AND IFTAAR AT 7PM

first time in my life span i'm going to do full-on summer fasts.

faridmon

People from Tromsø were advised to follow the Middle eastern summer time when it become impossible for them 20 or so years ago.

can't wait till all the food pictures :p

Everyone but us eat exotic food. I am jealous :(

Al-Jazz

Neo Member
I've never worked out during fasting. I may this year. Do any of you work out during the month? If so, what's the schedule like?

it depends on your sleeping habits, i work out just before iftar, but sometimes i also wake up just before iftar lol
my brother has been doing a lot of insanity looks really good, half an hour for every work out and u sweat like fudge! so thats the plan for me :)

Not Muslim, but was intrigued about the idea of fasting. So I joined in with some of my co-workers last year. One of the best experience I ever had. The first 3 days was brutal for me, but after that, everything went smooth and my thought process changed dramatically as well. Nothing phased me, its really hard to explain. Wanted to start today, but I have stitches that need to be remove from inside my mouth and on meds. Once that's clears up this week, I'm joining the fun.

javadots

Banned
Not Muslim, but was intrigued about the idea of fasting. So I joined in with some of my co-workers last year. One of the best experience I ever had. The first 3 days was brutal for me, but after that, everything went smooth and my thought process changed dramatically as well. Nothing phased me, its really hard to explain. Wanted to start today, but I have stitches that need to be remove from inside my mouth and on meds. Once that's clears up this week, I'm joining the fun.

You found Allah. That's what happened.

Ramadan might be tomorrow or after tomorrow

Yep. It was impossible to see the moon for it to be today (in US/midwest)

8th----
Sunset 9:15 p.m.
Moonset 9:17 p.m.
Literally a 2 minute window to spot... so obviously not tomorrow.

9th----
Sunset 9:15 p.m.
Moonset 9:52 p.m.

This has a much larger "window" to view the moon, so InshaAllah it's the 10th.

Ramadan Mubarak brothers and sisters.

EDIT: Actually, it'll have to be the 10th. The 11th would create a 31 day Sha'ban... I think.. And 31 day months are impossible for the lunar calender.

They have the basic materials to conceive cryogenic sarcophages there, right ?

Obviously a joke

Of course!

But yeah in reality I am sure they use just some specific clock time when they are allowed to eat. Next time sun goes down in the most northern point of Finland is in 29th of July so it would be rather long wait lol.

Ydahs

There's always a lot of argument about which day is the day right to begin fasting in Australia. Every year you'd have different groups starting on different days and a bunch of fossils arguing about who is in the wrong.

I reckon we should just use mathematical calculations to determine if the new moon is born, just like we use calculations for prayer times. At least this way the community fasts as one.

liger05

Haha I'm just joshing you.
But the reason for fasting really is to get closer in harmony to Allah.

That is correct

Abu Hurairah relates that the Holy Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "Allah, the Lord of Honor and glory says: All other deeds of man are for himself, but his fasting is purely for Me and I shall reward him for it. "

Bigfoot

So it starts. If you are "celebrating" Ramadan, does this mean no NeoGAF during the day too?

I don't think this is something I could do, but I'm impressed by those that do things like this for their religion.

tj hazuki

Ramadan might be easier this year for me because of the Halo 4 Championships online qualifier. 20 games a day should make the day go by faster.

Ramadan Mubarak, GAF!

Madouu

So it starts. If you are "celebrating" Ramadan, does this mean no NeoGAF during the day too?

I don't think this is something I could do, but I'm impressed by those that do things like this for their religion.

I'm pretty sure it means even more NeoGAF for most of us :p

Ydahs

NeoGAF is actually the best time sink out there, so I assume quite a few will be wasting a lot of their time here :p

Its one of the most refreshing feelings ever. I usually bitch and moan at the beginning of the month but by the end I'm sad that its over. It's like a mental reset.

F#A#Oo

Banned

I quit playing videogames during Ramadan. I still post on GAF though as it's not that time consuming. Really it's a month where I feel really time constricted as I'm doing a lot of stuff throughout.

My local mosque fly's a scholar from South Africa who stays with us for the month of Ramadan. He gives talks and discussions after every prayer of the day. He always seems to add funny twists to his stories. If I'm not at work I try and pray all my salah in congregation.

vareon

Nah, unless everyone starts posting NSFW images at every thread lol. But Ramadan is the time where I actually think whether I'm actually doing stuff or just wasting time.

And unless you're starting at hard mode that is 18 hour fasts in a hot summer day, fasting is not that hard. I like the difference in how I think, how I view what I'm doing (ideally these should actually carry on even after the month), and the general change of daily routinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom