• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

Nintendo games has always so much content I wonder now how there are able to do that? If this game is only 5 hours long and 3 hours are cutscenes then it's redicculus for a game that costs 70 Euro here in germany. And stop comparing this game campain with the COD campaign, the COD campaign is known for that it's short, people play COD because of the huge multiplayer part and The Order doesen't even have such a mode.

I don't give two shits about the length, I just want to play this.

Are there difficulty levels in the game?

Yeah, same. I was expecting it to be fairly short anyway.
Sounds like it's probably 7-10 hours if you try to get collectables and play it on hard (from the people who played it hands-on, rather than the YouTube experts).
That sounds reasonable enough to me.
The production values look great, the music is good, I'm interested by the cinematic approach, the setting and story seem appealing to, so, yeah looking forward to it.

I do think that the standard RRP for PS4 games should be no higher than £39.99 as the current policy is clearly discouraging people with lower incomes from wanting to buy some stuff, but that's another issue.

From a personal point of view I couldn't really care less about this stupid 'cost per minute' value argument that some people are trying to force.
I'll buy it and play it. If it provides me with enjoyment then it's worth it. Simple as that really.
If complete it but I don't feel it offers any replayability at all or if I simply don't enjoy it that much I could always sell it and as I'm getting Bloodborne and probably Dying Light soon and my son wants that awful looking Xenoverse thing it means trading it in is also an option if I don't like it, meaning I'll get most of my money back anyhow.
It's not really a big deal, now is it?
Why all the angst?

As it is I'm expecting to enjoy it and keep it.
No amount of angsty navel gazing about the length of the game by other folk is going to change my mind.

Edit- and yes there are difficulty levels

jf DOOM

I think games length is important to people who have a lot of time to play everyday. I get about a 30min to an hour window to play games each day so I guess all games seem long to me because they take me a week or two to complete. I guess I don't judge the value of a game till I play it. If I enjoy the game it was worth it if I didn't it wasn't. Simple.

In total agreement. Ever since my son was born my gaming time has been cut into a fraction of what it was. If I can get a great story out of the Order and it only takes me 3 hours, and I can hammer it out after he goes to bed while my wife is out with her girlfriends all the better for me. If I can get the platinum during that time, I'll be in heaven. GOTY.

Phinor

I don't mind short games, in fact most of the time I prefer short games with few meaty, long and full priced games a year. But short games also need to be priced accordingly. It's a high quality, high budget game so obviously it shouldn't be 20€ at launch, but there's a good middle ground somewhere between 20€ and 60-70 euros.

The death of 40-50€ games last generation is a small tragedy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nintendo games has always so much content I wonder now how there are able to do that? If this game is only 5 hours long and 3 hours are cutscenes then it's redicculus for a game that costs 70 Euro here in germany. And stop comparing this game campain with the COD campaign, the COD campaign is known for that it's short, people play COD because of the huge multiplayer part and The Order doesen't even have such a mode.

You fight a modern idea that's all. It exists like that, but it doesn't represent anything except a giant portion of gaming making money off MP and the people who support it. That's not bad persay, but it exists.

BokehKing

Banned
The proportion of gameplay to cut-scenes. How prevalent are the QTEs? How is the combat and encounter design?

Lots of valid reasons not to get too hyped. Same as with any other game.
Ever play dragons lair I pumped the countless $ into that and it was a 30 minute cut scene/qte

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I've seen people throw their hands up throughout the day wondering why we're not trusting gaffer's opinions on the 10-12 hour quotes but being a fellow member on a message board shouldn't automatically earn someone's trust. Some proof would be pretty sweet to support the 12 hour stuff.

I mean, how do you prove that outside of recording yourself playing the game in its entirety which most don't want to do or watch (if you want to play the game, of course). None of the impressions here have really seemed like Order dick-riding to me, so I've got to give at least some weight to the fact that zero of them listed the length as anything other than standard cinematic TPS fare.

I imagine the true length for someone who plays through this game at an average pace probably falls somewhere in between the shortest report (5:40 on YouTube) and the longest (~12 hours from OsirisBlack, I think). For myself, I think the length of my playthrough will be directly dependant upon how immersed I get. TLOU kept me in for a lot longer than I needed to be to beat it because I was hooked. Whereas, I blew through Killzone: Shadow Fall because I just. Wanted. It. To. End. Please...

DMiz

The COD comparison is really off-base. I understand where he's coming from - he's trying to make the argument that, pound-for-pound, if you were to ONLY compare the single player campaigns between COD and The Order, they'd come out more or less the same - but since what we're trying to compare here is PRODUCT PRICING, the comparison breaks down.

Yes, you can pay $60-70 for either The Order or COD and get a similar playtime. They may both feel incredible as a campaign - or one may be better than the other, depending on preference and what have you - but if the major issue that's being brought up is COST, then we need to evaluate the games, not as experiences, but almost exclusively as products.

In that light, COD, as many people have pointed out, is a much better product, given its multiplayer pedigree.

Now, as an experience? That's much harder to say. I haven't played The Order yet; maybe it packs together such an intense sequence that it really is worth the price of entry. We'll see. But surely, from the idea of how much I'm willing to pay for this product - and not this experience, which I don't gain until playing - it certainly seems like too much.

Ever play dragons lair I pumped the countless $ into that and it was a 30 minute cut scene/qte

I know of it, but never really fancied playing them because they didn't look fun to me. I was always pretty impressed with how they looked though.

Ok, now who's really being naive? I don't want to derail from the thread, but Google search of free.

I'm not naïve, but I'm no conspiracy nut either.

Readingaid

Neo Member
Here dude. Spoiler-free impressions from Rapier in the spoiler thread. I edited a few spoilers out so hopefully nobody complains.

Im not overly concerned with these points, why? because having that chat with Ru the other week its clear this is a jumping on point, there is a larger over arching story and he was very clear about us "jumping in" at this point. However it is slightly concerning to me that with such high production values the story even as a jumping on point is slightly muddled.

One thing I will say is that in the small portions I played, the small interactions within the characters seems really solid and the small dialogue pieces seemed to allude to quite an interesting story. To suggest they can show snippets and those seem interesting and then for it to poorly stitch together is rather odd and would be a huge screw up by RAD.

We do have to remember this is a starting point for RAD. Im obvioulsly still extremely hyped having played it but the suggestion here has tampered my overall expectations slightly.

For instance the worst story in a game I have experienced in terms of pacing and content was probably Killzone 3. That ending was disgusting to me.

hydruxo

I really don't give a shit about the game length. I've been interested in the game since it was revealed and that has stayed constant ever since, despite the non-stop haters.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Ok, now who's really being naive? I don't want to derail from the thread, but Google search of free.

I'm as annoyed as the next guy with the narrative surrounding this game, but I sincerely doubt the astroturfing claims have any basis in reality. At least as far as GAF is concerned.

"Don't attribute to astroturfing that which can be adequately explained by typical AAA exclusive bickering."
-Robert J. Hanlon

You fight a modern idea that's all. It exists like that, but it doesn't represent anything except a giant portion of gaming making money off MP and the people who support it. That's not bad persay, but it exists.

What I meanted with the COD and The Order was that I believe that people don't expect a big single player mode in COD but they expect a big single player mode in The Order and in my opinion The Order single player is too short with 5 hrs. And 5 hrs should be right because most of the time when developer response like that with no specific answer than the one who played through the single player campaign is right! I think there will be many disappointed in the game, maybe not because it's a bad game, they will be disappointed because of the length of the single player campaign.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't really mind the whole time thing, my biggest fear is it doesn't have any replay value

That's what sucks. Short games are linear. You can memorize everything and you don't hve a fresh appeal going back. It's like a ride you see at an amusement park. You pay for the admission and you see everything like a single handed experience. You're probably good for a while.

Going to sit back and wait for more feedback regarding both the game's length and replayability. Kinda bummed about it but RAD's responses in the OP and the conflicting information surrounding this title make it too dodgy a proposition for a day one full price purchase.

Azdoune

Knack and Killzone Shadowfall are not fantastic games. Hell both are pretty mediocre. Even Second Son and DriveClub are not fantastic games. They're definitely great games though.

Drive club is fantastic imo.Developers adds features and game modes every months.
Killzone mp is great. A lot of free maps add since the launch. If you don't like I understand but it's not mediocre!

I don't know for Knack, I can't speak about a game I didn't play.
Each game to its target. Drive club and Killzone had theirs. Do not confuse a style of game that you dislike with a mediocre one.

And I hope the order gonna be great for it's target. Personally, I think I will enjoy it.

Alienous

I don't really mind the whole time thing, my biggest fear is it doesn't have any replay value

According to some GAF impressions replay value is comparable to Vanquish (I think that was said).

I'm not sure if we've gotten any impressions from someone who has actually replayed it, though.

It's almost as though people want the game to be good, but keep hearing stuff like this about it. I have a preorder in for it myself, and I'm highly critical of it. Currently it sounds like it'll be on eBay pretty soon after I get it.

Hmm. That's not the impression I get.
It feels to me that there's a recruitment drive on to get people to join the hate/concern bandwagon sometimes.

JawzPause

I don't think the problem is the length of the game. Journey is 2 hours long and that won GOTY everywhere. The problem is the PRICE. Yes I know it's an AAA game and graphics are ridiculously good, but I'm not spending £50 on a 5-6 hour game. Bring the price down to £30 and I'll get it day 1.

jg4xchamp

I don't really care how long it is or not. The game just looks boring. Vanquish was a good game, super short, but I was fine giving that game my money because the gameplay was more than entertaining. The Order hasn't looked like anything more than an average gun wank.

FeiRR

Banned
Im not overly concerned with these points, why? because having that chat with Ru the other week its clear this is a jumping on point, there is a larger over arching story and he was very clear about us "jumping in" at this point.

If somebody tried to convince me that a 600-year-old person who saw and experienced everything good and bad in their life suddenly developed a change in their character, I'd be very doubtious about it and call it psychologically unrealistic, unless very well reasoned.

King_Moc

Banned
Hmm. That's not the impression I get.
It feels to me that there's a recruitment drive on to get people to join the hate/concern bandwagon sometimes.

Obviously, there's some trolls, but you can't just assume that everyone is one. The people jumping through hoops to deflect every negative piece of information about the game are just as bad tbh.

Azdoune

I don't think the problem is the length of the game. Journey is 2 hours long and that won GOTY everywhere. The problem is the PRICE. Yes I know it's an AAA game and graphics are ridiculously good, but I'm not spending £50 on a 5-6 hour game. Bring the price down to £30 and I'll get it day 1.

Uncharted 1 or God of War wasn't sell at 30€.

I'll take a linear story driven TPS with hand and all right now. So many games I've bought in the last year have been big open world games and I just got bored of them half way through. Wolfenstein was a gem. Dying light is an exception to that. Cannot wait for this game.

Then just wait. I don't get how this is a big deal. Games don't hold retail value long, just wait until the price matches the point where it's worth it to you. Some are good at $60 but in a month or two it'll be $40-30 and by dec it'll be $20 or whatever. If the game is good you can find the price to match

I like shorter tighter games TBH. I won't play this day one because of a decent game backlog so I'll wait and buy when I'm ready (and it'll be cheaper)

BokehKing

Banned
I know of it, but never really fancied playing them because they didn't look fun to me. I was always pretty impressed with how they looked though.

I'm not naïve, but I'm no conspiracy nut either.
Ok well in the 80's you got to basically play a cartoon.

It looked amazing and mind blowing for its time. Full of qte, the whole thing was qte, same goes with space ghost, I pumped like... A lot of money into that game trying to best it. 27 years later you can get that game the sequel and space ace for $5 on pc but that's not the point.

Even worst, 10 minute game, hundreds of qusrters
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P3XNQja0H7I

Too bad the research shows pricing games below the expected full retail price makes consumers think there is something wrong with it.

JustenP88

I really wish this game would've came out at or around launch. It just screams "launch game new first-party IP" to me. Sure, it's got flaws, but it's a technical marvel and would've done better if we weren't already well over a year into this gen, I think.

Feep

Banned
I have no idea why games *need* to have replay value or a certain length. Both quality and quantity matter in my evaluation of whether or not a game has met the value it had cost me. To me, Portal was probably worth a hundred dollars, Last Story probably worth five.

If reviewers I trust say The Order is a must-play experience, and it's five hours long, so be it. I'll be glad to spend my money on it.
I do not expect this to occur.

FaintDeftone

I'm not sure if this will be a day one purchase or not, but I definitely want to play it. Ready at Dawn is a very talented developer and I would love to support them, but $60 for game I can beat relatively quick and probably will not replay is hard to swallow right now, especially after just buying a n3DSXL and Majora's Mask.

We'll see.

Despera

Banned
The price would still be justified if the game was 5 hours long with excellent gameplay quality that blew my socks off from start to finish.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case here from what I've seen/read of it so far.

Niven

That's what sucks. Short games are linear. You can memorize everything and you don't hve a fresh appeal going back. It's like a ride you see at an amusement park. You pay for the admission and you see everything like a single handed experience. You're probably good for a while.

Yep that's how I feel, is there any other mode a part from the story?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What I meanted with the COD and The Order was that I believe that people don't expect a big single player mode in COD but they expect a big single player mode in The Order and in my opinion The Order single player is too short with 5 hrs. And 5 hrs should be right because most of the time when developer response like that with no specific answer than the one who played through the single player campaign is right! I think there will be many disappointed in the game, maybe not because it's a bad game, they will be disappointed because of the length of the single player campaign.

Yeah. People who want a MP game don't even bother. I've known people who would only play SP if the MP was down. That exists with the market MP tends to get. I Think it's a bit different now because we're seeing less MP people buy the game with the newer consoles. I can't believe all those people want to get wasted online for their money. That's probably what's hurting CoD's sales and that's not saying more than that a certain stereotype revolves around CoD. I've played most of them and I hear people at stores and so forth explain it and they probably never bought a CoD title.

Lol. So true. One of the few arcade games I became 'expert' at. I was so good at that game in the arcade I used to do it on one coin easily. Once drew a crowd of about twenty people in an arcade in Blackpool watching me finish it. Kinda sad but kinda true.

For those with "value" issues with the game, but actually want to play the game...

Buy the Order.
Beat it in a few days, or sittings, or a sitting.
Sell back for ~$40.

You played the game, and supported the devs, and only paid ~$20. Bang. How easy is that?

King_Moc

Banned
Buy the Order.
Beat it in a few days, or sittings, or a sitting.
Sell back for ~$40.

You played the game, and supported the devs, and only paid ~$20. Bang. How easy is that?

That's the plan, other than the bit about it supporting the devs. I think they're going to be hating the second hand market a short while after release.

Azdoune

And for the price, I don't know how it works outside France, but here you can find the order for 45€ in mall day one. One week after release, price changes to 60/70€.

Top Bottom