• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular New 3DS vs. New 3DS XL?

I bought the rare Kanji faceplates from Nintendo when they restocked a week or two ago, and ever since then I've been trying to acquire the white New 3DS that came in the Animal Crossing bundle to use the plates on. The prices people want for the white regular 3DS are ridiculously more expensive then the XL version, and obviously harder to come by... But now it has me doubting my decision!

I'm now thinking about just getting the XL and selling my plates.

What are the main differences between models?

Is the screen on the regular that much smaller than the XL?

Which do you guys prefer?

I'm just confused now!

Edit: Bought a regular one for a steal! Thanks for everyone's feedback!

The difference is the screen size.I have an XL and my wife has a regular. The Regular's screen is a nice step up in size from the OG 3DS but not so big as to completely ruin the pixel density.. Honestly, the better pixel density than the XL makes games look better on hers. That said, the smaller handheld can hurt to play of you have larger hands. The XL is much more comfortable to use.

Mondrian

I had both, and sold the xl. The pixels on the xl are disgusting after seeing the beauty of the regular new 3ds.

I have an XL and wouldn't go back to regular but I do wish that I liked the regular size because it's so compact. I still carry around my DSi at work because of it's size and "pocketability".

I had both, and sold the xl. The pixels on the xl are disgusting after seeing the beauty of the regular new 3ds.

Hm. It's really that bad then huh? I mean I had the regular 3DS XL a few years ago and it was pretty bad but I don't really remember exactly

Hm. It's really that bad then huh? I mean I had the regular 3DS XL a few years ago and it was pretty bad but I don't really remember exactly

It depends how sensitive or critical you are. I liked my 3DS XL but recently I've been using my regular 3DS...not a New one, mind you. I believe the original size is how the graphics are intended to look, although sometimes it's easier to see stuff on the XL screen, and use the touch screen for that matter... it comes down to preference. Personally I think you should keep your plates and get the next bundle that comes around; that's what I'm planning to do!

Dwayne

Fwiw Still available at GameStop's website. Can also go in store and they'll tell you the closest store with stock.

GeNoMe

Giving hyperbole a new meaning are you?

It's not that bad OP. I have seen both and I much prefer the XL because of the better grip it offers. Also, the pixel density is fine. The games look great. Furthermore the better battery life is a big plus.
My advice though? See if you can try out both, to make see sure which one your prefer.

DJ_Lae

I returned my regular New 3DS shortly after getting it - I find the XL more comfortable to hold (which I suppose isn't saying much) and the bigger screens are nice too.

As far as pixel density goes, I think every single 3DS model has a gross looking screen, so being able to see the screen/mesh around the pixels a little better on the XL doesn't really detract that much.

The swappable plates are kind of neat, though.

I had an OG 3DS from launch up until last year when I got my n3DS XL.

It's a tough choice because while the games look better on a smaller screen I just can't go back to that size of screen after getting used to the XL, especially something like Monster Hunter that has a lot of action going on.

I'd say I have mid size hands but it's definitely much more comfortable to use the XL for me.

The faceplates are a nice gimmick, but look past them and get the new xl. It feels good in the hand and is built with a higher level of quality. I would only get the smaller model if you intend on carrying it around in your pocket all day.

rekameohs

Banned
XL all the way dog. All of the 3DS's have shit resolution so it's not like marginally improving the pixel density at the sacrifice of comfort is worth it.

N3DS XL is my favorite handheld I've owned.

I will admit that the smaller one looks better aesthetically, with the Super Famicom colored buttons and the potential for a matte faceplate, however.

Faceplates and pixel density makes the regular a no brainer.

Only reason to get the XL is if you have large hands that make the regular uncomfortable.

hongcha

XL is way better (comfort, screen size, playability, etc), and you can use all that money you wanted to spend on faceplates on 3DS games instead.

Graphics look definitely better on the regular, but for some games the bigger screens give a completely different experience due to a greater immersion in the game.

Zelda Ocarina and Majora feel completely different played on the XL, size + 3d it's like being there. My Hyrule Edition n3DS XL is almost dedicated to them.

2D and 2.5D games instead, I feel them better in their place on the regular n3DS, high pixel density give them a much more solid look and feel.

XL is better. The screens are quite a bit bigger and despite the claims to the contrary the pixel density really isn't that much worse. The n3DS and XL both have shitty pixel density compared to any modern phone, or the Vita, or a tablet, or most other things.

You can look it up, I can't remember the exact numbers right now, but n3DS and XL are much closer to each other's pixel density than either is to an iPhone, for example. Really doubt a huge majority of people are going to have a problem with the XL if they don't have the smaller model constantly on hand to compare. And while the smaller model does have better pixel density it's not like it's great by any means.

If faceplates are really interesting to you obviously get the n3DS, but if they were that big of a factor I doubt you would have had to make the thread.

amrum

Regular New3DS because the screens are bigger than the original one and the DPI is still acceptable compared to the XL...

3DS XL/new 3DS XL : 96 DPI
new 3DS : 120 DPI
3DS : 155 DPI

I tried both and sent back the XL. I really don't like the new finish they got on them and the normal one is still pretty comfortable

The faceplates are a nice gimmick, but look past them and get the new xl. It feels good in the hand and is built with a higher level of quality. I would only get the smaller model if you intend on carrying it around in your pocket all day.

I'd disagree on that point, the normal one has a much more robust build to it. Especially the back of the New XL, the one I got creaked. I'd agree on the quality if we were talking about the old XL.

I've gone from a launch 3DS, to an XL, to regular n3DS, and the n3DS is hands down the best one to go for, a perfect balance of screen size to pixel density, and the smaller size and lower weight make it the most comfortable to play for any extended period of time.

Plus, SNES coloured face buttons and cover plates put it up there with the OLED Vita looks wise! It's just a damned sexy little system and easily the best handheld Nintendo has ever made for my money.

Madao

regular n3DS is the console i'd keep if i absolutely had to keep just one 3DS.

after using it more and more, i feel it's the best one of the bunch. it's not super small like the original 3DS, not too big like the XLs (both XLs feel heavy for some games where you just want to chill) and the screen is the right size (games still don't look too bad because pixel density is good. not like XLs that make things look worse)

only thing i'd still use XL over regular models is BC since BC in 1:1 looks too small in regular sized 3DS consoles.

Regular New3DS because the screens are bigger than the original one and the DPI is still acceptable compared to the XL...

For comparison an iPhone screen is 326 DPI.

A Vita is 220.

You can definitely tell a difference side-by-side, but they both suck compared to basically anything else with a screen, and like I said earlier they're a lot closer to each other than they are to anything else. I'd go with the bigger screens.

Chopper

The XL is arguably more comfortable.

The regular model has face plates, and games arguably look better.

I'd go regular. I own it, and have personally never felt it to be uncomfortable.

lights

I owned the old XL and the pixel density was noticeably worse for me compared to the regular 3DS. I'd personally recommend the regular N3DS. Some people aren't as bothered though.

prateeko

I bought the Pokémon n3DS and moved over from my n3DSXL. No regrets. LOVE the cover plates (I've actually gone completely overboard with the). Here's a screen comparison from a spot pass after I transferred. HDR makes the n3DS colors look off

5wATJlv.jpg

The screen is notably sharper on the regular and its fed lighter and fits into a pocket easily. Word of advice though, some faceplates scratch/scuff easily do I actually got a nice TPU cover from Amazon Japsn since they ship worldwide now.

Oh and the buttons + this skin I got:
FF0FhmF.jpg

😍

I have the majora's mask XL and every time I play it I wish I would have waited for the regular one. the thing is just too big, I think. it's not unplayable but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

arimanius

You know what they say about people who have big hands....
they prefer the XL

I had both and sold my XL for the animal crossing bundle. The smaller size doesn't bother me and the games look noticeably better but not by a whole lot.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I love the n3DS size - I get so much more usage out of system now that it's really portable.

I thought the New 3DS was only a little bit bigger... So why did the DPI change so much??

I bought the rare Kanji faceplates from Nintendo when they restocked a week or two ago, and ever since then I've been trying to acquire the white New 3DS that came in the Animal Crossing bundle to use the plates on. The prices people want for the white regular 3DS are ridiculously more expensive then the XL version, and obviously harder to come by... But now it has me doubting my decision!

I'm now thinking about just getting the XL and selling my plates.

What are the main differences between models?

Is the screen on the regular that much smaller than the XL?

Which do you guys prefer?

I'm just confused now!

Edit: if anyone has the animal crossing 3DS FOR SALE,
Message me!
Wait, is the regular sized n3DS Animal Crossing Designer bundle no longer available in NA?

Josh5890

This thread topic seems to be popular of late.

Anyway I went from a 3DS XL to a new3DS and I don't regret it one bit

jRPG

I was planning to finally upgrade to a New 3DS with the Fire Emblem Fates XL model's release in the UK but now I'm not so sure. Tempted to get a much cheaper regular with a Fire Emblem cover plate now. So conflicted. Both seem pretty evenly matched in pros and cons.

Loke13

Do they even sell the regular N3DS? Every time I go into a store they only have the XL version. Does Gamestop sell them?

prateeko

Do they even sell the regular N3DS? Every time I go into a store they only have the XL version. Does Gamestop sell them?

I believe GameStop and Target still sell the AC bundle online. The Pokémon 20th Anniversary one (😍) was limited, but technically the n3DS is sold in the US. Just not as a stand alone for some incredible stupid reason (read: NoA)

I bought the n3DS Animal Crossing and love the small form factor, but my hands cramp up. It stinks too since it's an awesome perfect size. I plan to see if GameStop will let me exchange for a 3DS XL.

Top Bottom