• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake | Gameplay Trailer, Information, Editions & Gameplay Reveal

Arachnid

The bingo line is still in. The ganado leaving isn't a cutscene anymore. When the bell rings, it happens in real time and you still have full control of Leon as they leave and Leon does the quip. Pretty damn cool change lmao

I wonder if they fight back at this point if you attack them. Gonna feel weird seeing Dr. Salvador just kind of wander off into the church.

Also, the dead wolf is bait. A capcom rep noted that you can still get help from the wolf during the El Gigante fight

Last edited:

dan76

Looks pretty good so far. I just hope the rumours of multiple stalker enemies are false.
I'm wondering how they are going to handle Ashley with Leon. If she can take damage PLEASE include the "wait!"command. The last thing I want is her running around like Sheva getting killed. At least in 4 you knew where she was. Either that or make her invincible, but I can't see them doing it.

Kaachan

:(

RamgVSY.jpg

Generic

Looks pretty good so far. I just hope the rumours of multiple stalker enemies are false.
I'm wondering how they are going to handle Ashley with Leon. If she can take damage PLEASE include the "wait!"command. The last thing I want is her running around like Sheva getting killed. At least in 4 you knew where she was. Either that or make her invincible, but I can't see them doing it.
Ah yes stealth and stalker enemies, what's better to ruin RE4's excellent arcadish action gameplay?

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Honestly I really hated that in RE2 Remake it took like three headshots to kills an enemy. And it appears to be the same shit in this game. And where the hell is the iconic red dot sight? Then on top of that you have a "breakable" knife. Bitch please.

Not a huge fan of RE2 Remake, and this looks like it plays almost exactly the same. So looks like OG RE4 still holds the crown for best RE game by a country mile.

Edit:
Yes as the original game progressed it took more than one headshot to kill a normal enemy, specifically when you blew their head off and they transformed, BUT you could use a flash bang to insta kill them.

I highly doubt the remakes retains 1/2 the charm or game mechanics of the original, and instead it ends up just being a watered down experience with better graphics.

Last edited:

mrcroket

It looks great and probably will play great but man I'm tired of remakes... I mean a couple of years ago I would have loved this but today is like "well another remake more".

The industry needs originality like water.

Arachnid

Public service announcement: Ashley is now officially the hottest character in RE (except for forever bae Rebecca). Legit murders Claire, Ada, and Jill (NuJill anyway; Voth Jill is top with Rebecca if you still count her). Her actress looks like a fucking porcelain doll. Insane.

howpPwt.jpg

resident-evil-4-remake-ella-freya.jpg

54e07a3a079c33dbee7f385934b94f0ed2140089.jpg

Honestly I really hated that in RE2 Remake it took like three headshots to kills an enemy. And it appears to be the same shit in this game. And where the hell is the iconic red dot sight?

Not a huge fan of RE2 Remake, and this looks like it plays almost exactly the same. So looks like OG RE4 still holds the crown for best RE game by a country mile.

Edit:
Yes as the original game progressed it took more than one headshot to kill a normal enemy, specifically when you blew their head off and they transformed, BUT you could use a flash bang to insta kill them.

I highly doubt the remakes retains 1/2 the charm or game mechanics of the original, and instead it ends up just being a watered down experience with better graphics.
You mean the laser? It's an upgrade you can get from the merchant (seen during the stream), so it's still an option.

Is my memory foggy?

Did Ashley ever got contaminated in the OG RE4? Don't remember that.
Yeah, she did. First time you came across saddler at the Island after the underground truck chase section, Saddler takes control of her and kidnaps her while torturing Leon with the parasite inside him.

zhFqgR9.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you not excited?
Because RE3make had a significant amount of cut content compared to the original and was disappointing. RE4 is a much longer game than 3, so the chances of stuff being cut is pretty high. RE4 is one of the best paced games ever created and each section in the game flows nicely into the next. Taking out any part will fuck with it.

Also it’s personally one of my favorite games of all time, and I don’t think it even needs a remake. I don’t mind a few minor changes but if it doesn’t stay mostly faithful to the original then I don’t see the point. I want mostly the same game with better graphics because the original is already a 10/10 game.

Some people may find that stupid because I can just play the original, but Capcom already made the first REmake, which not only retained the spirit of the original, but added even more content and improved on the original. RE2 remake cut some stuff from the original, but expanded on other sections making it on par with the original for the most part.

So I know Capcom can do it (they’re two for three so far), but I don’t want to get hyped in case it ends up being more of a RE3R situation.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Because RE3make had a significant amount of cut content compared to the original and was disappointing. RE4 is a much longer game than 3, so the chances of stuff being cut is pretty high. RE4 is one of the best paced games ever created and each section in the game flows nicely into the next. Taking out any part will fuck with it.

Also it’s personally one of my favorite games of all time, and I don’t think it even needs a remake. I don’t mind a few minor changes but if it doesn’t stay mostly faithful to the original then I don’t see the point. I want mostly the same game with better graphics because the original is already a 10/10 game.

Some people may find that stupid because I can just play the original, but Capcom already made the first REmake, which not only retained the spirit of the original, but added even more content and improved on the original. RE2 remake cut some stuff from the original, but expanded on other sections making it on par with the original for the most part.

So I know Capcom can do it (they’re two for three so far), but I don’t want to get hyped in case it ends up being more of a RE3R situation.
I have the same worry tbh. If it makes you feel any better, this is the RE2make team. Thankfully, we've already seen a lot of content I thought would get cut. The trailer confirmed every village and castle boss returning. I doubt they'll cut the island (Krauser is confirmed, and we knew saddler would be there since the first trailer). The only boss not yet confirmed is U3 (he's one of my favorites, so he better be back).

I guess that's just bosses though. I'm somewhat worried about certain rooms and combat encounters being removed, but I hope not. I have a tough time seeing them bringing back the lava room and the Salazar statue, for example. I also REALLY want this room to come back and be expanded on:
ob1vlbw1pw071.jpg

YukiOnna

They already addressed this even if they didn't have to but as Hirabayashi stated, this is the RE2make team on it, not RE3 and their approach is the same as RE2.

Shacknews: Both the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 remakes are almost universally loved by fans, but when it comes to Resident Evil 3 remake, there were players who felt it strayed a bit too far from the original. How has the team taken that criticism in its approach to RE4 when it comes to both appeasing older fans and creating something interesting for new players?

Hirabayashi: For [the RE4 remake], we're looking back to RE2 remake. We have the same director now in the RE4 remake, so it's the same team of directors and producers. Now when they're looking into making this remake for RE4, you have the same sort of mindset that they had for Resident Evil 2 in 2019, and that includes the way that they want to preserve the sort of feeling and essence of the original game. The feeling of nostalgia ... I guess it's a good way of saying it's also updating the game to a modern audience. So, it's this balance that is at hand when they are looking into having sort of the same mindset now for RE4.

It's also apparently the same length.

I asked Hirabayashi if the reviews and player feedback for Capcom's last two remakes had informed any decisions for Resident Evil 4 Remake, and he specifically brought up length as a factor.

"When we started production on RE4 we looked into what people thought was good [in the RE2 and RE3 remakes] and what could've been done better," Hirabayashi said.
"One example is the play time for RE4 is about the same as the original game."

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Public service announcement: Ashley is now officially the hottest character in RE (except for forever bae Rebecca). Legit murders Claire, Ada, and Jill (NuJill anyway; Voth Jill is top with Rebecca if you still count her). Her actress looks like a fucking porcelain doll. Insane.

howpPwt.jpg
I love how Capcom gets better and better at this. RE2make Claire looks like a creepy lifeless doll from a horror movie, but every single female character looked better and better since then. It's almost like Capcom saw there was no backlash from the anti-sexy community and now starts getting braver and braver with their female character models. The reception to Lady D certainly seems to have boosted their confidence.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

howpPwt.jpg
Dammit, the real pic here is perfection.
This is the one case so far where I can understand making the in-game model a little less beautiful, she’d be legit distracting otherwise.
Looks like Ashley’s “ballistics” are bigger than the real model too, this won’t sit well with a certain crowd, haha.
Doubt they’ll keep in the “You perv!” line or even the possibility of triggering it, but oh well, there’s some typically Japanese tropes a RE game can do without these days.

SCB3

"Enemies can now come out of the closet."

Granado: Don't shoot! I am a they/them queer non-binary ...

Leon: ...
well it is 2022 after all, Zombhe/Zomthey pronouns?

Anyway, I can't find any info, but is Assignment Ada or Seperate Ways being remade as well? I wonder if it would make sense as being part of the Main story this time around?

cortadew

Capcom already said the game will be the same length and most of the original stuff will be kept.

Jesb

It looks so good. Holy shit. I’m not sure about the darker areas though. The original looks brighter this version looks more dark. I can’t wait.

Looks pretty cool. I recognized every location they showed I think. If they keep all or most locations it's gonna be one long game. Used to usually take me 15-20 hours to beat not doing new game+ or super weapons.

That hedge maze with dogs should be some good nightmare fuel. Wonder if this will make it out in 2023 or '24 ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There’s probably a reason for this. I’m thinking a twist they want to save for the release.

Yes, Tam Hussein mentioned in the last Grubb video that there is a twist on the first ganado encounter and how Leon discovers that Ashley is in-fact in the village. People who played the preview saw that segment and I think in the game play trailer they showed, with the crooked neck ganado and Leon seeing the info board with Ashley picture (baby eagle convo with Hunnigan) is the new way.

Last edited:

solidus12

howpPwt.jpg
I see that this model is equipped with ballistics too.

It's great to know the remake will be as long as the original game. I think we were getting worried that they would carry out a lot of fat trimming as usual.

The RE3 remake was an abomination because those in charge just didn't have a clue how to reimagining it properly.

drotahorror

I'm probably in the minority but the last time I played RE4 was when it came out on the gamecube. So I'm pretty hype about this. Same goes for Silent Hill 2 remake which I haven't played since....it came out on ps2.

Get this, some people like myself, don't play these games at all unless it's when they first come out. A remake is well due for a lot of games that came out 20 years or so ago.

Honestly I really hated that in RE2 Remake it took like three headshots to kills an enemy. And it appears to be the same shit in this game. And where the hell is the iconic red dot sight? Then on top of that you have a "breakable" knife. Bitch please.

Edit:

??? Killing an enemy with one head shot would have completely broken the game.

It was a survival horror game with resource management 1 shot head kills would have completely killed the core challenge and gameplay loop.

Top Bottom