• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Minsc

Gold Member
Considering the game is 9 years old now I'm in no particular rush ...

There's always your 7th or 8th playthrough for mods, why wait. The game was meant to be replayed, it encourages it with its weapon system and special unlocks. Heck there's a 5GB "HD" texture pack in the game already, play it with that, then play it on New Game + when the other HD pack releases, then play it again a third time around as well! :p

I caved in and bought it, partly because of the pre-order bonuses. Looking forward to play mercenaries again after all these years.

Here is the 25% off code I used for greenmangaming:

O61269-BIMBGU-JRDM3J

Kadin

I caved in and bought it, partly because of the pre-order bonuses. Looking forward to play mercenaries again after all these years.

Here is the 25% off code I used for greenmangaming:
Thank you! Was just looking around for that damn code...

Great OT btw Grief!

Teknoman

Bought it 2 times (wii and ps3 HD version) While I have played tons of it I only completed it like..twice. Really hyped to play it in 60fps.

Yeah this is going to feel as fresh as playing it with Wiimote controls. The HD textures are cool and all, but playing it at 60fps is the real game changer.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
I look forward to $5 during the Summer sale. Revelations was fucking ace with m/kb controls.

With the ridiculous price revelations and re6 had since release I don't expect re4 to be 5$ anytime soon, 10$ is my sweet spot. I owe my 5th copy of re4 that much lol

man, I have such fond memories of RE4. I had a buddy of mine play through it a few months after I did on gamecube, and his answer to everything was the Rocket Launcher. Empty hallway, and you think badguys might be around the corner? Rocket Launcher. Of course, this also meant he ended up killing like half the merchants in the game. :D

Believe it or not, this is only my second time buying this game. Once on Gamecube, and then now. So all the separate ways stuff will be completely new to me at least. This will be tiding me over until the parts for my PC come in (so probably 30fps until then), but I'm excited anyway!

It's not just about 60fps, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Grief.exe

Believe it or not, this is only my second time buying this game. Once on Gamecube, and then now. So all the separate ways stuff will be completely new to me at least. This will be tiding me over until the parts for my PC come in (so probably 30fps until then), but I'm excited anyway!

It's not just about 60fps, you'll know what I'm talking about.

RE4, South Park, and Year Walk should tide me over nicely until Dark Souls.

RE4, South Park, and Year Walk should tide me over nicely until Dark Souls.
It might not be the best idea, but I'm gonna plow through the first Dark Souls before I get Dark Souls 2. I haven't really been able to play it since I bought it in December.

So did Capcom ever explain what the deal is with the missing specular effects? It seems like a simple thing to fix, but what do I know, I guess. Mouse aiming will be cool though.

donny2112

Only played it on GCN and Wii, and adored Wii for the controls by far. Nice to hear this is based off of that code, even if some of the effects are necessarily missing due to being hardware specific. After playing through RE5 for the first time this year, it gave a hankering for another RE4 playthrough, so may just pick this up again for Steam sometime ...

BBboy20

Believe it or not, this is only my second time buying this game. Once on Gamecube, and then now. So all the separate ways stuff will be completely new to me at least.
Same here. If the PS2 version had the same substantial amount of new stuff like with Metal Gear re-releases, I would have gotten it even with the downgraded graphics and audio.

Only got this because just how repayable this game is and that this is probably the pinnacle representation of a game that changed all of us.

Syril

So the framerate has to be locked at either 30 or 60? What would happen if you selected 60 but your computer couldn't keep up at any given moment? Would it instantly go to 30 until it can reach 60 again?

aeolist

Banned
Q: Is the frame rate capped at 60fps? Can I choose higher frame rate to take advantage of my 120Hz/144Hz monitor?
A: The game offers 30fps or 60fps locked through the in-game menu option. Deviating from these two settings unfortunately causes unexpected side effects or game-breaking bugs since certain animations are keyed to the frame. Undocumented settings may allow you to deviate from the 30/60fps cap, but this has not been tested, nor supported or warranted by Capcom.

this is the kind of response i want to hear when asked about port limitations. it makes sense, especially for an older game like this, and makes it clear that you can mod the game (easily or not) if you decide you want to. it respects the questioner's intelligence unlike something like "well our perfect vision for the game is 24.95fps so we've locked it there".

other japanese developers need to take notes

Syril

this is the kind of response i want to hear when asked about port limitations. it makes sense, especially for an older game like this, and makes it clear that you can mod the game (easily or not) if you decide you want to. it respects the questioner's intelligence unlike something like "well our perfect vision for the game is 24.95fps so we've locked it there".

other japanese developers need to take notes

Look, you just don't get the original PSP's faulty square button. Everything about the PSP was intentional. It wouldn't have worked if it was any other way, and they had no intention of changing it. You wouldn't criticize a master architect's plan just because you noticed a mistake.

donny2112

Would buy for the triple dip and if you are reading this Konami, I would buy a Wii U version just for better graphics and pointer controls.

Being PC, I'd imagine there's a way to mod in Pointer controls. Could always use the controller for most of the game and switch to the mouse for quick point and shoot in specific sections (e.g. shooting gallery), too, though.

SalamiAttack

Neo Member
My+body+is+ready+_e07e6734aea79e6d1206cb84070bdc54.jpg

Grief.exe

It might not be the best idea, but I'm gonna plow through the first Dark Souls before I get Dark Souls 2. I haven't really been able to play it since I bought it in December.

So did Capcom ever explain what the deal is with the missing specular effects? It seems like a simple thing to fix, but what do I know, I guess. Mouse aiming will be cool though.

Yes they did, actually. The effects were intrinsic to the GameCube hardware, ripping them out and emulating them would be extremely time-intensive.

Anyone know if the xbla version was 60 fps?

Negative. 60 FPS is a first for RE4.

andthebeatgoeson

Being PC, I'd imagine there's a way to mod in Pointer controls. Could always use the controller for most of the game and switch to the mouse for quick point and shoot in specific sections (e.g. shooting gallery), too, though.
I'll be okay with mouse and key board for now. Just really want to buy it again. Sounds stupid right?

Ra1den

Yes they did, actually. The effects were intrinsic to the GameCube hardware, ripping them out and emulating them would be extremely time-intensive.

Wait, so were these effects on the Wii version?

And will they be here now on the ultimate edition?

rvy

Banned
Q: Are the cutscenes realtime or pre-rendered movie files?
A: Only the "Separate Ways" cutscenes are movie files. The rest of the game cutscenes are real time.

So mafioso and Ashley knight outfit work in cutscenes now?

FLAguy954

As a spanish speaking person I remember starting to play this game with my sound blasting and then....

Que Carajo haces aqui?, LARGATE CABRON!!!

I promptly lowered down the volume. LOL

I just Google Translated that, lmfao. I've played this game countless times and didn't know that, thanks.
Google translation: "The Fuck you doing here? SOD OFF CABRON!"

Grief.exe

Damn... how noticeable are these? I haven't played through it since the Gamecube.

The DOF effect was really more of a blur filter and I thought looked poor.

The specular highlights were only used on some objects to make them appear slimy. Not sure how many objects actually used this effect, but shouldn't be too noticeable unless you are looking for them.

dab0ne

This will be the fifth time I've purchased this game...

1 - Gamecube
2 - PlayStation 2
3 - Wii
4 - XBox 460
5 - PC

...and yet, I'm happy each time I complete my purchase.

What have you done with Resident Evil, Capcom?

I wish I could say that I've only bought it 5 times. I'll get it from the BST thread at a highly discounted rate in the future. Looks great though.

Top Bottom