• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

RE 4 Leon is a full on cheesy action hero, intentional or not.

Degeneration Leon is boring.

Damnation Leon is a less cheesy action hero, but still fun.

RE 6 Leon is a dour action hero who still has good one liners.

Vendetta Leon needs a leave of absence to sort out his problems.

Jawmuncher

I am thinking of buying Resident Evil 7 on Steam. It currently is up for 40% off for the base version. There are also deluxe versions and season pass. What's in that? Should I just get the base version or is getting the season pass/deluxe version a better deal? Never played Res Evil games, so completely blind here. I did try the Kitchen demo and liked it. I love PT.

The current season pass is kinda meh. Banned Tape 1 and 2 don't offer much. However the last piece of DLC is supposedly a full fledged mini campaign.
You'll probably like the game, but it isn't much longer or PT: it's more akin to Alien Isolation if you've been payed that

Exentryk

The current season pass is kinda meh. Banned Tape 1 and 2 don't offer much. However the last piece of DLC is supposedly a full fledged mini campaign.
You'll probably like the game, but it isn't much longer or PT: it's more akin to Alien Isolation if you've been payed that

Thanks. Might just get the base version and see I how I go.

I think the next DLC is supposed to be free? So you wouldn't need the Pass for it

But yeah you should buy it

Explain urself

I just liked some enemies in 5 more, simply because of actually having cool B.O.W.s, reintroducing Lickers, the Bat-Centipede, U-8 basically one of the best designs since classic RE titles imo. Do give credit to 4 for the spike guys and the "right/left hand" enemies.

I will say it's bullshit chris gets shit over punching a boulder, but everyone hand waves Leon running from a fucking robot

This is part of it. "Chris punched a bolder hahahaha RE5 is so nonsense! 4 Was a better grounded experience that made sense!"

uhhh... Leon ran away from bolder traps, a giant robot of a little person wearing a tricorn in freaking 2004, fought said actual little person wearing a tricorn in 2004, ran around a castle filled with cloak wearing, cross bow, mace, and other medievil weapon wielding people, cartwheeled through a laser fence, and jetskiied through a crumbling cave, all while interacting with a mysterious merchant who happened to appear randomly....

Yeah

but bolder punching. (Though I think the temple of doom section was nonsense in RE5 as well) but still it was less nonsense than the fun house insanity of RE4. Not to mention actually related to the RE plot. Trying to go into a whole new enemy and what not before settling things with Wesker was an annoying part of it for me.

That said, EXCELLENT freaking game. Not to mention best looking Ada design. But acting like RE4 isn't all out nonsense is crazy to me. I also think RE5 took the gameplay of 4 and tweaked it where it needed it, but by that time RE4 had been released and replayed so many times it did not surprise me some were like "omg its similar to 4!" well yeah its only been one game, the one everyone loved and wanted more of....

4, 5, 6 were the epitome of all out insanity lol.

Eh, it's all lovable nonsense. RE 4 starts out just as "horror" as RE 5 does until the Castle where it promptly loses its shit and all veneer of serious horror. RE 5 is pretty "grounded" all things considered (if you can call an RE game "grounded) until Wesker comes on the scene and then it too loses its shit:

In fact, it's more of a jarring tone shift in RE 5 than in RE 4. But it's Wesker, so it's easily forgiven.

Agreed sort of.

Wesker was over the top, but in a cool way. Got to finish the fight as they say which I love. Though the whole teleportation thing was a bit much. Would have settled for a bit of speed and strength, but down right subspace movement speed was crazy, visually great, but nonsense.

Anywho.....

Whats everyones least played RE?

For me its 3, pretty sure I've only beaten it once. Need to change that.

Jawmuncher

I guess my least played would technically be RE0 and CVX. I only ever played them once on GC and the other time on PC (for 0) and 360 (for CVX). I was about to say RE2, but then I recalled I have beaten that on GC, N64, and emulated GC.

Ironic because it easily the game with the most campaign replay value.

My least played is probably Gun Survivor 2, because it's just trash.

Of the main series I'll easily say RE7. Not because it's new but because it has the worst replay value by far. Plus it's boring. I'll probably never play it again outside the free DLC yet to come. Oh, I guess I need 2 easy trophies for plat but that it.

I still gotta finish my madhouse run of 7. The super handgun you get totally trivialized the jack boss fights but for some reason Marg is still tough as hell.

It's definitely got less replay value than some of the other recent entries, but between madhouse, bonus item unlocks, and I guess the super lame choice (lol) it's still got some incentives. I mostly just replay these games to experience the campaigns in full anyway and tend not to mess around with the gimmick modes like invisible enemies.

On Madhouse once you leave the first house aside from the second having like 3 extra enemies and a few moved on the ship the game is exactly the same as other difficulties. No moving stuff about like the first house. Is like the Devs gave up making changes or something.

BadWolf

It will very likely be RE7 when all is said and done. Replayability is a big part of the series for me (much like with MGS) but RE7 is very lacking in that regard.

Been about half a year since I finished it and I honestly don't find myself thinking about it at all.

kromeo

3 for me as well, always been by far my least favourite of the fixed camera games. I disliked 6 more but that took a lot longer to finish

I don't touch anything outside of the single player campaign in any of them

CV. It's the only one I don't own, which was a big factor. Also competes with Zero and 6 (and possibly soon Revelations 1) as my least liked entry. Good story and lore, but not big on the game design overall and disappointed with what was done with Alexia. Sort of the first jumping the shark moment.

On Madhouse once you leave the first house aside from the second having like 3 extra enemies and a few moved on the ship the game is exactly the same as other difficulties. No moving stuff about like the first house. Is like the Devs gave up making changes or something.

To me, everything after Marguerite feels underbaked, and even her section felt rather bare and as an afterthought.

Idk what it is, but I feel like something went really wrong in development in that game and they had to push things through in a much different way than ideal.

Yeah as much as I like the game, it definitely gets worse the further you go into the game. The mines feel like they are from a totally different, and far worse, game.

Zambatoh

It will very likely be RE7 when all is said and done. Replayability is a big part of the series for me (much like with MGS) but RE7 is very lacking in that regard.

Been about half a year since I finished it and I honestly don't find myself thinking about it at all.

Yeah. I've already unlocked all the post-game items, but the unskippable cutscenes puts a huge wrench in me ever playing it again.

Jawmuncher

I am curious to see what is next in the series. If you ask me RE6 was the last action game in the series.

Since then you had Rev 1 (the original port to 360/PS3), Rev 2, and RE7.

I know for me personally part of my disdain with the RE7 reveal was that it felt like we were do for another action title after the Rev series had been working on appealing to horror with some sort of middle ground. However seems like there was perhaps supposed to be a bit of "easing" back to just horror with those two titles if you want to look at it that way.

This is of course ignoring the rereleases of RE4-6 on PS4/X1. But I'm really just looking at what could be considered new titles.

I feel like on the horizon there should be something for action fans that isn't just Not a Hero. Whether that is the unknown game or the RE2make remains to be seen.

I know for some people it'd be quite the monkey paw to get RE7 as horror and then RE2make as action. Since if fans were given the choice if this were to happen the majority would have said "Make 7 action and leave RE2 alone".

Hopefully they weren't lying about Comic Con and we do indeed get a better eye on what is next for the game series. The unkownigness of what future titles can be is tiring at this point.

I hadn't realized CVX was on PS4 so I jumped on that with the quickness since I've never played it. I've always heard mixed things about it and so never made it a priority, but I'm really digging it so far. It's a clear step back from RE3 in terms of gameplay, and I prefer the prerendered backgrounds by a lot, but so far I'm enjoying it a bunch. It seems pretty hard, they throw a ton of zombies and dogs at you right at the start so hopefully I'm not screwing myself over for later in terms of ammo/herb usage. I'm using the actually powerful knife when I can, but I tend to get bit frequently when I try to use it.

But I'm pretty impressed with the scope of the game so far, the levels are quite big and there are a bunch of paths right from the start, it's overwhelming in a good way. I like the metal detector area, I thought that was a quite clever puzzle and way to build tension.

Also, the music is ace. So far liking this more than Zero, but I'll see how it stacks up against the other classic style games.

Noted, I haven't found it yet tho. I'm still super early I assume, just found the palace. Can you get more ammo for those dual machine guns with the percentage marker instead of ammo counter? I'm assuming not. I already only have 68% left whoops.

RSB

Banned
Classic RE and action RE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RE7
vXeq1JW.gif

If we're counting only the main line games, Rev1 and RE7.

They are my least favorite, so it makes sense.

Jawmuncher

I personally just want to see Jake again. Hoping he doesn't become another Sherry where we gotta wait 13 years to see what he's up to.

If possible they definitely gotta stick with the multiple RE characters per game.

Kinda why I was bummed with RE7 and it's new cast. I get why, but now it's just more people to track who might just end up disappearing into the ether like Billy and Carlos.

RSB

Banned
Moira, Sherry and Jake have to come back for sure. They are great.

Chris, Leon, and the rest of the old gang are cool and all, but I'd prefer them to take a back seat and let the newer and/or younger characters have the spotlight in the next games.

Reknoc

Anywho.....

Probably original RE1 and 3 since I never owned them back in the day. On ones I did own, CV just because it was a very temperamental dreamcast version that only occasionally wanted to work and also because I didn't much care for the game.

Noted, I haven't found it yet tho. I'm still super early I assume, just found the palace. Can you get more ammo for those dual machine guns with the percentage marker instead of ammo counter? I'm assuming not. I already only have 68% left whoops.

No you cannot reload them, so enjoy while you can, or save them, whatever.

I agree we need more Sherry and Moira.
I'd really like to see Claire team up with Sherry though, seems like such a missed opportunity.

Maybe after RE2 remake we get RE8 with the 2 of them. First revisit their origin and then make a sequel that focuses on them in the present.

Man, still feels unreal that a new RE2 is happening. Still my favorite RE.
I still remember how blown away I was in 1998 like it was yesterday.

Golnei

Rev 3 will be Moira, Carlos and HUNK,
Rev 4 will be Moira, Sheva and Sherry;
Rev 5 will be Moira, Manuela and Dante...

Manu

Rev 3 will be Moira, Carlos and HUNK,
Rev 4 will be Moira, Sheva and Sherry;
Rev 5 will be Moira, Manuela and Dante...

Pls no. I'd rather have the stories have at least a logical reason for characters to return, these feel convoluted af.

Revelations 2 did a great job at bringing Barry back.

We just had claire in Revelations. We need other characters to come back first.

Can't have too much Claire.
If you disagree your opinion is factually wrong.

It would actually make more sense to follow up Rev2 directly and bring Sherry into that arc. They can either call it Rev3 or just Rev2 season 2. I'm not picky.

Nemesis_

People are right about Code Veronica on this Page. I enjoyed the story and the somewhat ham fisted references to Psycho but everything else was trash.

The critical path is all over the place and nowhere near as honed as 1, 2 or even 3. There were so many ways you could lose yourself into a corner, some even out of your control with the zapping. The backtracking is overwhelming to newer players to the point where it's just a confused mess.

Everytime I return to it, as a from the beginning fan, I start to dislike it even more.

Y'all think I'm crazy but I think I'm actually starting to think Zero is a better game DESPITE the abhorrent story

Just watched Vendetta.
Thought that it was fun, even though I think that Leon and Chris should get a rest from movies/games, they didn't bother me that much.

Rebecca is a good addition, she should have made more IMO.

Need a Jill game post RE5. It's been 8 years ffs.
This!
There are several characters that can show up in future spin offs or Revelations games but Jill needs to return at some point. We don't know anything about her after 5 (not counting Rev2)

Finally playing RE 5 Coop and it plays so much better. No more babysitting the AI, no more wasting entire clips of ammo, no more waiting around while enemies kick the shit out of me with the AI right next to me, and so on. RE 5 goes up several points in my book with this current playthrough.

RE 5 in single player is a lot of fun, no doubt. My biggest issues with RE 5 are the AI and really the zombies who shoot at you forcing you to utilize the shit cover system. Playing Coop removes my biggest issue and turns in into a blast.

Brhoom

Banned
So the only reason whe didn't get Alyson to voice Claire was because Capcom was cheap.

I still remember some of you defending their move and saying they wanted a mature voice for claire...

Capcom please bring her back, please.

Jawmuncher

So the only reason whe didn't get Alyson to voice Claire was because Capcom was cheap.

I still remember some of you defending their move and saying they wanted a mature voice for claire...

Capcom please bring her back, please.

We didn't get Alyson Court for RE2make because of the voice actor strike. Until that's settled. A lot of the usual VAs won't be present. Same deal with Matt Mercer as Leon in that game as well. Also affected the Ada VA from RE6

We didn't get Alyson Court for RE2make because of the voice actor strike. Until that's settled. A lot of the usual VAs won't be present. Same deal with Matt Mercer as Leon in that game as well. Also affected the Ada VA from RE6

I don't believe Alyson is part of the union that is striking, she is in a different one.

Capcom has simply gone non union for this game (or any localisation company they using for this is non union). Past RE VA have been changed for this very same reason.

Zambatoh

Alyson already stated (either Twitter or her Youtube channel) that Capcom had already gone non-union years ago before the strike happened at all.

Top Bottom