• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Patch 1.06 fixes framepacing issues

XGoldenboyX

INPUT LAG is back!

I can tell from playing the day before the new patch and today after installing the new patch .

The game response feels Lagging!

: (

M.W.

Tempted to pick this up because of the sale. I originally played about the first few hours on X1 last year. I have a Pro now and I've heard good things. How long is the game? What stands out about the Pro version?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
this is very strange for nixxes. they keep fixing and breaking the same things over and over again. Is the rise of tomb raider engine so badly coded?

I know the input lag in XB1 version never got fixed in any measure

Harlequin

Tempted to pick this up because of the sale. I originally played about the first few hours on X1 last year. I have a Pro now and I've heard good things. How long is the game? What stands out about the Pro version?

I think it's somewhere around the 15 hour-mark IIRC, though it really depends on how much of the optional stuff (side tombs, collectables, exploring, etc.) you do. The Pro version has three modes, a high framerate mode (which has an unlocked framerate at 1080p but I think it's mostly in the 45-50FPS ballpark from what I remember reading, not a locked 60), a 4K mode (which really helps with the game's aliasing issues) and an enriched visuals mode (which adds some of the previously PC-exclusive graphics features to the game at 1080p/30) so you get a good amount of control over how the Pro's additional horsepower should be used. As for the game itself... well, if you liked the first reboot game, you'll love this one. If you preferred the classic Tomb Raider games or if you can't stand bad writing and story-telling, you should steer clear of it :p.

bigace33

On the pro this game is legitemately one of the best looking games I have ever seen. Playing in Enhanced graphics mode and it looks better than Uncharted 4 in some respects.

Harlequin

this is very strange for nixxes. they keep fixing and breaking the same things over and over again. Is the rise of tomb raider engine so badly coded?

I know the input lag in XB1 version never got fixed in any measure

I have no idea how these things work but maybe it's possible that the input lag and frame-pacing issues are somehow linked to each other? As for the Xbone version, I suspect that it was a conscious design choice on Crystal's part. That's the only explanation I can come up with for why they'd refuse to patch it out when Nixxes has removed it from all the versions they've worked on (or has been trying to remove it, in the PS4 version's case).

M.W.

I think it's somewhere around the 15 hour-mark IIRC, though it really depends on how much of the optional stuff (side tombs, collectables, exploring, etc.) you do. The Pro version has three modes, a high framerate mode (which has an unlocked framerate at 1080p but I think it's mostly in the 45-50FPS ballpark from what I remember reading, not a locked 60), a 4K mode (which really helps with the game's aliasing issues) and an enriched visuals mode (which adds some of the previously PC-exclusive graphics features to the game at 1080p/30) so you get a good amount of control over how the Pro's additional horsepower should be used. As for the game itself... well, if you liked the first reboot game, you'll love this one. If you preferred the classic Tomb Raider games or if you can't stand bad writing and story-telling, you should steer clear of it :p.

On the pro this game is legitemately one of the best looking games I have ever seen. Playing in Enhanced graphics mode and it looks better than Uncharted 4 in some respects.

Thanks for the replies. The Pro version sounds insane. Might have to pick this up then at this price, seems like a steal.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have you read what the posters above you have said? Back to 1.0 levels of input lag.

Seems to be a mixed bag of replies though, some users are saying it's not noticeable, some are saying its' there but less than pre 1.04 and some are saying it's as noticeable.

Gestault

On a technical level, the reports of renewed input delay don't sound too baffling. The solution to the framepacing issue probably used something along the lines of rendering a small cache of frames in advance of display and sending them out with optimized timing. There's a setting in the Nvidia control panel (one for regular rendering, one for VR) along these lines.

RotTR finally looks and plays like a 30fps game with the new patch installed. It's much better now.

Patch 1.05's horrible frame pacing made it look like it was running in the low 20's.

Melchiah

Just played the game, and luckily the reintroduced input lag didn't bother me, but I can't say I noticed the lack of frame pacing in 4K/30fps mode either.

So input lag is why shooting in this game feels fucking weird? I don't know a lot of technical videogame stuff, but something about the shooting feels off. I've tried messing around with aim sensitivity and it doesn't help.
It's such a hassle to get headshots that I don't even bother anymore. I've also never killed a rabbit before. I imagine maybe you could kill one with an assault rifle, because it ain't happening with a bow.
For the record, I've been playing Destiny, Doom, Uncharted 4 and Overwatch before I started playing this and I could shoot well in all of those, so I'm sure it's not me. Shit, even the TR game before this had better shooting.
I'm usually not sensitive to things like these.

I’m currently on my first play-through (PS4 version - game is fantastic) and I definitely notice the input lag. It is not really that problematic for me, but certainly, control feels off. I really hope they are able to fix it.

Nuszka

Have gotten the game on a sale recently , played only a bit of it on 1.05 - game felt good beside the frame pacing. Have not played it for a while and after turning it on the input lag is immediately noticeable, gonna wait for a patch maybe to continue the game.

SeeThree

I really wanna get this before the sale is over. I thought the PS4 definitive edition had AWFUL combat controls that I didn't remember from x360. I was constantly overshooting then stopping just short of my target trying to compensate.

Even when I was ultra careful and strafe into the shot I'd miss if the guys head, rabbit, bird whatever moved a little. Coming from other games its obviously fucked up. The games not even a little bit hard on the hardest setting.

It thought it was mostly dead zone but probably some acceleration stuff and input lag on top.
If Rise has that same dead zone bullshit or worse im gonna be pissed.

Anyone recently play PS4 DE and try to pop birds or rabbits with an arrow? Even just panning the camera was goofy. Right stick from neutral to about 90% is all similar slowish camera panning speed. Then that last tiny 10% jerks it forward to the fastest pan speed.
Is this new game with the latest patch like that? Better or worse?

kaiiri

Is there a general consensus on which of the 3 versions is the overall best to play? Or just all to personal preference? Want to replay this game (played it first on base PS4), but now that I have the PS4 pro (I have a 4K set no HDR), and want to get the best experience.

SURGEdude

Is there a general consensus on which of the 3 versions aren't the overall best to play? Or just all to personal preference? Want to replay this game (played it first on base PS4), but now that I have the PS4 pro (I have a 4K set no HDR), and want to get the best experience.

Really depends on the person. Lag and stuttering can really bother different people.

Personally I'm less susceptible to lag as opposed to stuttering so I'm (more or less) happy with the current patch.

Then again I was able to sorta tolerate the game on Bone (my GoTY '15) so YMMV.

I'm still getting into situations where the motion blur turns off while playing on my regular PS4. I just played the part where the
helicopter chases Laura and Jacob
and after that, the motion blur was completely gone. I had to quit to the main menu and re-load my game to get motion blur back. The motion blur works completely fine in that area after I re-load, so something happened during the cutscene where motion blur was temporarily turned off, but it never got turned back on again.

Anyone else notice this? It's happened a few times now on patch 1.05 and 1.06 so it's not exactly new to 1.06, but I didn't notice it happen in 1.04, but that doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen prior to 1.05... I just could've not noticed it.

Anyway... anyone else wanna chime in on this issue?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After watching the video and hearing Rich saying the input lag was the same as 1.04 I just want to say that 1.04 is miles better than the initial release. I never played the game on 1.05 but 1.04 hit in the middle of my play through and it helped a lot, particularly with the aiming.

III-V

After watching the video and hearing Rich saying the input lag was the same as 1.04 I just want to say that 1.04 is miles better than the initial release. I never played the game on 1.05 but 1.04 hit in the middle of my play through and it helped a lot, particularly with the aiming.

I will be playing tonight, so I really hope it is like Richard is reporting feeling like 1.04 and not like some GAFrs have reported with back to 1.0 levels of lag.

1.04 had the same amount of input lag.

That's not true....at all.

From the original PS4:

- Improved the input lag.

- Improved the input lag further (it was hardly even a noticeable improvement from patch 1.04)
- Introduced framepacing issues.

- Re-introduced the input lag (not as bad as it was when the game first came out, but still a fair bit worse from patch 1.04 and 1.05)
- Fixed the framepacing.

Please don't mislead people. : /

Finished up my playthrough last night, started after the latest patch drop. Input lag honestly didn't bother me a bit, Nixxes have done a great job. Worth saying though that I played through the x1 version at launch and found it a minimal annoyance then too. Noticeable but something I adapted to, so maybe I'm not too susceptible to it.

bratpack

thats pretty sad if they introduced input lag i have no time for instability in my games and definitely not the money for it. ill pass on this i guess as it sounds like a hot mess. maybe if it drops to 10 bones 3 years from now when its really cleaned up

such a hyperbowl response
the game is perfectly playable
enjoy it
finish it
move on

over analysing everything is crazy imo

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's not true....at all.

From the original PS4:

- Improved the input lag.

- Improved the input lag further (it was hardly even a noticeable improvement from patch 1.04)
- Introduced framepacing issues.

- Re-introduced the input lag (not as bad as it was when the game first came out, but still a fair bit worse from patch 1.04 and 1.05)
- Fixed the framepacing.

Please don't mislead people. : /

The input lag is seemingly the same as 1.04 and 1.05 and they fixed the frame pacing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipP909T4m_s

Please don't mislead people : /

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
People are using extremely unscientific measures now to describe what is going on.
Well, the stuff can be pretty hard to parse. Even for people with equipment.

Deadzone and input lag can be easy to confuse if they're both present, for example. Really bad deadzone can feel just like input lag. Tomb Raider had both at launch. But they fixed the deadzone... just another layer in the patch confusion now.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
thats pretty sad if they introduced input lag i have no time for instability in my games and definitely not the money for it. ill pass on this i guess as it sounds like a hot mess. maybe if it drops to 10 bones 3 years from now when its really cleaned up

Wow, please tell me this is a parody post.

Satire, right?

Top Bottom