• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread

big_z

I was worried this one would pull a ubisoft and give us the same game with bolted on collectable garbage to give it that bigger feel. Looks like that's not the case and its exceeding expectations. I cant wait.

I really dont wanna get the xbox one version, but i dont know if i have in me to wait for pc release c:

im getting the xbox version simply because the pc version of the first tomb raider had performance issues at launch that took a while to patch out and this one looks more demanding.

Fucking what?

He said: Ugh. The better this reviews the wor.......

I have to agree with him, this shitty marketing deal giving it a full year of exclusivity could bury the series when it inevitably doesn't sell enough for Square Enix.

The first game only made bank with the definitive edition and that is across PS3, PS4, 360, XO and PC.

Will PS4 owners outside of fans of the series really care about a game that came out a year ago on a rival console?

After seeing the scores I'm pretty convinced SE making this Xbox exclusive is the worst decision this generation besides the initial Xbone reveal.

A high quality game is going to be hurt so badly by it. I hope it doesn't impact CD too much

DocSeuss

Wow, I thought it was gonna get more 7s and 8s like the last one, ultimately being something that I enjoy a lot when I get it on the PC, but... this... is making me think about moving my plans up.

But no, I still need to finish Mad Max and MGSV.

Ugh. The better this reviews the worse I'm going to feel. It deserves better than to have buried like a JRPG behind the industry's biggest brand name IPs with massive marketing budgets. A lot of blame is going to be placed on the very negative reception the game had at its reveal because of the exclusivity window, too. Those are 100% avoidable corporate decisions wrecking a game's destiny, and it sucks.

Square was NOT GOING TO MAKE THIS GAME until Microsoft said "WE'LL FUND IT" and that is how it got made.

This is not paid exclusivity.

This is Microsoft paying Square to make another Tomb Raider.

Can we cool it with the Uncharted mentions and whining about Microsoft? An exclusive's an exclusive. It's reviewing well. No need to start whining about that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent scores with a few 7's bringing down the average but it's okay. I'm extremely happy that I purchased Xbox One the other day at Best Buy. An excellent deal that gets even better after I pre-ordered the game and can't wait to pick it up on Tuesday morning.

I thought I might have an Xbox One in time for this game's release. Nope, lol. Waiting for the PC release is gonna suck but whatever. Got plenty to play til then.

EGM1966

Square was NOT GOING TO MAKE THIS GAME until Microsoft said "WE'LL FUND IT" and that is how it got made.

You have actual link for that? Don't remember that ever being confirmed.

hawk2025

After seeing the scores I'm pretty convinced SE making this Xbox exclusive is the worst decision this generation besides the initial Xbone reveal.

A high quality game is going to be hurt so badly by it. I hope it doesn't impact CD too much

Part of the reason I'm buying it now, rather than later. Pig-headed overall.

The card-based, microtransactions nonsense (is this the new thing? Card-based RNG gambling?) almost convinced me otherwise, but ultimately that's thankfully secondary to the main game.

Sounds like Tomb Raider really stuck the landing. In a world where the opinion on Fallout 4 has gone from the most hyped thing since sliced bread to the worst game ever created (before it's even out/review embargo has ended), this could be the start to a very interesting day.

Congrats to everyone at Crystal Dynamics. I greatly look forward to playing your game when it comes to PC next year.

DOWN

Banned
They were always going to use the DE engine. Nixxes got the code base for the XB1 port and had to degrade it, not the other way around.

I don't understand this double standard. UC4 is using an enhanced version of the Last of Us engine which is a last gen game, which is also an enhanced version of the UC2 engine, yet i don't see people crying about that
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the term cross gen. Uncharted 4's core features don't have to be ported to PS3. Tomb Raider's did have to be ported down to 360, which means they had a lateral alteration of their engine because they did not have a significant gain in the scope they could design the game within. The game's core features, maps, AI, and much of its geometry had to be created within a scope that made them scalable to 360 in strong quality as required by the publisher from conception. No core features were done that couldn't be done on 360 because it is true cross gen. Uncharted 4 is straight up using PS4, no need to collaborate with any PS3 requirements. It isn't cross gen and its engine and scope is significantly taken out of last gen's reach across the board.

AI and level design that are impossible to scale back to last gen unmarketable quality loss? No problem for Naughty Dog on Uncharted 4, but totally not an option when Crystal had to collaborate on Nixxes limits.

Can we cool it with the Uncharted mentions and whining about Microsoft? An exclusive's an exclusive. It's reviewing well. No need to start whining about that.

You're really going to need to provide some proof for this claim. I'll assume this is a joke otherwise.

This is not the place for this discussion, but what you said is blatantly false. It has already been stated by one of the heads of Crystal Dynamics that this game would have been made without Microsoft's help. Now let's stay on topic.

I haven't seen any evidence of this - IIRC retailers were taking PS4 preorders for a time - I don't know how that happens if it was exclusive from conception.

Either way, what's done is done and there's not much point in beating it to death even more, especially in a review thread

Shancake

This game is seriously incredible. I can't urge people enough to pick it up and not let it get overshadowed as it was pretty much sent to die by Microsoft..

hawk2025

I wanna say I heard it in an interview with Phil back at E3.

Why don't we get this kind of whining for SFV? It's the same situation, except SFV was guaranteed to come out no matter what.

...why are you doing this, minutes after asking people to move on and stop whining?

Spinifex

TR2013 sold like 6 million copies. It was always going to get a sequel, even with Square's bullshit 'son I am disappoint' act.

big_z

Now I'm debating if I made the right decision going for Fo4..

I just cancelled fallout4. I will pick it up when i have more time and when its been cleaned up a bit. I also enjoyed the first tomb raider a lot more than fallout 3 so theres that factor as well.

Witcher 3 is the hands down king for GOTY IMO. Dont see how anything could beat it.

I don't know, witcher fans seem to be high on the game but you hear a fair number of editors say they gave up on it. I think a few sites will give it GOTY but it wont be as unanimous as some people expect.

TR2013 sold like 6 million copies. It was always going to get a sequel, even with Square's bullshit 'son I am disappoint' act.

the first game was profitable but square was banking on it to make up for other game failures which was too much to ask. its very much possible that square was eyeing mobile or other low risk investments instead of another tomb raider at the time.

Linkyn

Why don't we get this kind of whining for SFV? It's the same situation, except SFV was guaranteed to come out no matter what.

Maybe you should post a thread if you feel this strongly about it.

DOWN

Banned

They confirmed the exact opposite of what you are saying. The game was not only first multi platform, but they were straight up asked in their Game Informer feature interview if the exclusivity was a matter of the game being made at all if it hadn't been exclusive and they said the fact that the game was getting made at all wasn't in question before the deal, hence the game itself having been announced long before the deal. The reason for the exclusivity was never a matter of the game not getting done without the deal.

And with SFV, Capcom straight up said Sony funding the game is the only reason it exists right now. While there would have someday been a game called SFV, the development of it now only started because of Sony and is why it can never come to Xbox. The idea wouldn't have been produced for years ifSony didn't straight up fund it

Why don't we get this kind of whining for SFV? It's the same situation, except SFV was guaranteed to come
out no matter what.

Sorry Doc, I think you have that reversed (at least based on interviews etc SF5 wouldn't have been made without Sony. Whether you believe that or not is another story!)

I haven't seen any evidence of this - IIRC retailers were taking PS4 preorders for a time - I don't know how that happens if it was exclusive from conception.

Either way, what's done is done and there's not much point in beating it to death even more.

Not been following the politics of it all and frankly don't care . Both sides are equally shitty in there tactics . But I always assumed it was like the titanfall deal (which most people didn't know until the behind the scenes story came out)

Money for funding development in return some exclusivity . I assume it's the same with street fighter and Sony .

I hope this game does enough to confirm a sequel at least.

After seeing these scores will definitely pick it up. Was waiting to see about performance issues, but after glancing at a few of the reviews I didn't see anything.

We should stop this debate here as its not the right thread for it. I'm just genuinely nervous for CD because they made a high quality title and this deal is going to hurt their sales significantly

I just hope these reviews get people's attention and the game starts getting some momentum

Top Bottom