• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread

how brutal? Any gruesome deaths like the previous game?

Yeah, they're pretty visceral. Not extremely gory or insanely brutal, though.

The one I kept getting early on was Lara taking her bow and strangling guys, there's a knife you can stab guys with via stealth, you can hack them with your axe (in the head IIRC), and I think she puts her axe into guys and uses it to pull them underwater.

No limbs flying or anything like that, though, lol.

If you think Square Enix were not going to make a sequel to a 7-million selling game then you are high as a kite.

lol if MS funded the development there was absolutely zero chance of ps4 version.
let alone announce it prior to xb1 versions release.
too bad though, they had my $60 if it were out today on a platform i owned.

And the game is sent to die. Too bad. We'll see how it sells when it's released on PS4 and PC.

Great reviews though. Didn't expect anything less.

cheesekao

Is this gonna impress someone who thought the TR reboot was simply okay? From what I can tell, the gameplay is rather iterative(not that that's inherently a bad thing mind you).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I absolutely cannot believe that more reviews didn't pick up on this. I mean seriously, what are they doing? DarkStation is absolutely right. FAR fewer enemies this time around. Game is much better for it.

Actually while there are less than in the reboot, there are still a few instances of these waves of enemies. It's not as annoying as before, but it's still there.

Saty

Read the reviews by EG, Kotaku and Gamespot. It's clear the game isn't straying from the 2013 reboot and any additions to the tomb raiding nature of this series are too few to make tangible difference. Shame. It's amazing reading some of the elements the reviewers deem positive - the disconnect between what made past games good and what reviewers choose to highlight, including gameplay design choices that i generally think are negative.

nSG7c15.png

I can't XD

Anyways, it seems like the game is as great as the predecessor but fails to be the superb amazing sequel of the franchise like Portal 2, Arkahm City, RDR and Uncharted 2. Maybe it'll happen on the third installment since it really happens much.

It's possible. *shrug*

I don't much care either way. I'm just tired of seeing people constantly scream about how evil MS is whenever ROTR happens. Here, the game's getting good reviews, and we've got people whining about how this is a bad thing, like... wtf, seriously?

It is easy enough to get confused with these exclusivity deals, and there's lot's of misinformation and miscommunication out there.

I know people are jumping all over you, but I for one recognize that you're not at all invested in console warring based on your many excellent and insightful posts in the past!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
You have the game? Does it have hipfire? That was the biggest complaint I had from the reboot.

No, you have to use the left trigger to be able to fire any weapon since the new crafting system used both RT and RB to craft new arrows and such.

CaVaYeRo

I absolutely cannot believe that more reviews didn't pick up on this. I mean seriously, what are they doing? DarkStation is absolutely right. FAR fewer enemies this time around. Game is much better for it.

It is indeed! There are a few, and a couple annoying, but that's it. I did note that in my review:

Gamereactor Spain - 9/10

And in my book Tomb Raider was 7/10, so I've been pretty pleased with this one. Still think combat can be improved and at least some tombs should be mandatory to progress, but imo CD have fixed many of the flaws and this feels much more like a great adventure. So fun and varied I'm going for 100%!

FelipeMGM

Wow, I thought it was gonna get more 7s and 8s like the last one, ultimately being something that I enjoy a lot when I get it on the PC, but... this... is making me think about moving my plans up.

But no, I still need to finish Mad Max and MGSV.

Square was NOT GOING TO MAKE THIS GAME until Microsoft said "WE'LL FUND IT" and that is how it got made.

This is not paid exclusivity.

This is Microsoft paying Square to make another Tomb Raider.

Can we cool it with the Uncharted mentions and whining about Microsoft? An exclusive's an exclusive. It's reviewing well. No need to start whining about that.

I wanna say I heard it in an interview with Phil back at E3.

Why don't we get this kind of whining for SFV? It's the same situation, except SFV was guaranteed to come out no matter what.

LOL this is a clear troll right?

Is this gonna impress someone who thought the TR reboot was simply okay? From what I can tell, the gameplay is rather iterative(not that that's inherently a bad thing mind you).

I havent played much though butI I tell you this, I think TR2013 is a bit overrated, and playing this sequel I feel this game is on a whole other level. Game is extra polished and the tombs interactions are pretty awesome.

d00d3n

Tomb Raider (2013) was fantastic, and this looks like it will be a worthy sequel. Hopefully there are a couple of mass market people left who go for this game despite Fallout hype, other than us freaks who have to have both ...

Alo0oy

Banned
No, you have to use the left trigger to be able to fire any weapon since the new crafting system used both RT and RB to craft new arrows and such.

I don't understand why they're refusing to put hipfire in the game, it improves the gameplay tremendously, the combat gets very clunky when enemies ambush you up close or they try to flank you.

mulac

Damn really wanted the Platinum for this on ps4...but have the new Xbox Elite Controller crying pout for this...grrr!

RedAssedApe

Banned
games gonna cannibalize fallout sales. calling it ;)

great reviews though. sucks they couldn't have gotten it out sooner in october. even like going up against assassins creed wouldn't have been that bad.

great reviews though. sucks they couldn't have gotten it out sooner in october. even like going up against assassins creed wouldn't have been that bad.

October would have been good but this would make a damn fine January game too

This is just the worst timing - way too much other shit coming out for me to find time/money to buy this too. Would have loved to play it at launch

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
And the game is sent to die. Too bad. We'll see how it sells when it's relesed on PS4 and PC.

Great reviews though. Didn't expect anything less.

From the people I play with on Live I can tell you that the majority is gonna buy Tomb Raider over anything else this holiday season because it's an exclusive and exclusive games give meaning to buying one platform over another. I even know of two of my friends that were exclusively on PS4 untill now and will buy an Xbox because of Tomb Raider. So no, it is not sent to die and it will do just fine.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I wasn't going to pick this up, given how many other games out in next couple of weeks, but these reviews might just convince me to get it sometime after Christmas, once I realise how crap I am at Battlefront. Hope it sells well. Still think console exclusivity was a dumb idea that won't do the game justice.

Mob_zter

Neo Member
For a second i thought Lara is lesbian & her former lover is ANA lol. oh GOD :D.

Cant believe PS4 gamers have to wait a year to play this.. Reviews looks good . Enjoy X1 gamers :)

NIGHT-

Went ahead and preordered this with the Best Buy promotion and got GTAV for cheap! I'm so pumped, love the first one :)

FelipeMGM

Nah, if it went against AC that would mean it would have went against Halo 5 as well.

Bold One

From the people I play with on Live I can tell you that the majority is gonna buy Tomb Raider over anything else this holiday season because it's an exclusive and exclusive games give meaning to buying one platform over another. I even know of two of my friends that were exclusively on PS4 untill now and will buy an Xbox because of Tomb Raider. So no, it is not sent to die and it will do just fine.

no one wants the game to bomb in sales, because by all accounts it seems like a really good
game, but it needs to do millions and I'm sorry but 2 of your mates buying is a flimsy ass anecdote.

hawk2025

While we are it, do 9 out of 10 of your friends also buy digital? We have been trying settle this over the past few days.

Alo0oy

Banned

I hope so, I preferred the reboot over the boring older games
raises flame shield

EDIT: I'm buying the XB1 version to support the game even though I don't have the console, I have a bad feeling about the sales of this game and I want to contribute as much as possible.

cheesekao

The same can't be said for SF4?
After the a string of bombs like SFxT,DmC,LP3 and some others I may have forgotten about, Capcom weren't exactly in a financially favorable position. SE, on the other hand, has been making bank with their mobile division. Capcom, not so much. Look at 2015. They released RE:R2 and that's about it for major releases that aren't ports of enhances editions. Maybe DDO counts? I dunno.

Theorry

Those are some good reviews. Not really a suprise because from what we see these last weeks its looked very solid.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nah, if it went against AC that would mean it would have went against Halo 5 as well.

ac was out the week before halo and it was also released on a friday. they could have done that tuesday. or even gone earlier to try and steal Uncharted Collections thunder. all contingent on the game being finished though.

:shrugs:

Coll1der

Banned
The one I kept getting early on was Lara taking her bow and strangling guys, there's a knife you can stab guys with via stealth, you can hack them with your axe (in the head IIRC), and I think she puts her axe into guys and uses it to pull them underwater.

I wonder if we'll get "Nathan "Mass Murderer" Drake" topics on this. Also judging from the reviews, the character development is one note and the plot is tucked away into audiologs. Not sure how this game can be superior then to the previous one, not for me probably.

So glad it reviewed well, was worried the last one was a fluke[sorry to old school fans, but I've been trying to get into your series since the psone days, but the last one was the only one I ever liked]

Now.... the year wait...

derFeef

Soooo...it turns out that we won't be posting my tech analysis of the game today. There are still limitations on what can be shown on review day and, well, my videos violate that in order to demonstrate some of the finer points of the game engine.

It will go up in a couple of days when we're free and clear!

Next step after that is to acquire the 360 version for a head to head.

Speaking of the game itself, I loved it! It's a great sequel to the 2013 game with some nice improvements. The only thing that really annoyed me was just how little time the game lets you spend in Syria. It's literally just a 15 minute flashback at the beginning of the game yet I felt that it was the most visually beautiful area in the game. Would loved to have seen a lot more of that but, obviously, it wouldn't work within the context of this story.

:-( Can you sahre SOME details? Like if the performance is good, and the IQ. Just a tiny bit of information? :)

d00d3n

October would have been good but this would make a damn fine January game too

This is just the worst timing - way too much other shit coming out for me to find time/money to buy this too. Would have loved to play it at launch

It may still be on PC, I guess.

I cried about this being an Xbox exclusive earlier in the year and then I preordered it a couple days ago.

I couldn't help it. It'll probably end up as one of my goty choices next to Bloodborne, Destiny, Until Dawn, and Life is Strange. I loved the last one. Not too sure how I feel about less enemies because I really liked the combat in the last one but I'm sure I'll still like it.

Top Bottom