• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

omonimo

Banned
Remember guys, MS in consoles for moneyz.

Sony in consoles for the heart.
What a stupid useless post. Yeah sony care to money. But at least tries to pleasure the gamers interest with a precise strategy where MSseems launch money in the air waiting for some desperate starving developers.

LiamR

What a stupid useless post. Yeah sony care to money. But at least tries to pleasure the gamers interest with a precise strategy where MSseems launch money in the air waiting for some desperate starving developers.

Hahahaha. Wow. What a ridiculous perception.

Bold One

Lol. It's not that scary! Keeley Hawes is a British actress who has done the voice for Lara in Legend, anniversary, underworld and Guardian of Light. I feared they had dropped her by the wayside due to their love affair with Camilla Luddington. Seems all is good though as Keeley is returning for Temple of Osiris. Which I'm really glad as I think out of Lara's whole history she is the definitive version.

It seems they're going to continue to use Keeley for confident iconic Lara, and leave Camilla to do scared little Lara. Still wish Camilla sounded more like Keeley though or at least learn to sound a little more British.

dem cheek bones doe :p

RkMO73P.gif

So Sony does it for heart first and money second while MS does it for money only?

EGM1966

They're both in it equally for the money.

One for a while has conducted itself in a manner that finds better favour with the general market and is more transparent in terms of its competitive activity from a consumer perspective. The other has struggled with its public announcements and activity and has gained a pretty sizable negative market perception.

Add that historic "them too" behaviour carries a lot less weight than "right now" behaviour with the general consumer market and it's not too hard to work out why MS is getting roasted.

Gestault

W...what? Considering you say the previous post is ridiculous, then go on to demonstrate that you yourself adhere to a similar characterization is...possibly not the strongest way to retort.

Phades

While this post is well worded, and makes some good points about Microsoft's motivations and behaviors over the past decade, couldn't some similar observations be made about Sony? Sony got into gaming as a denial to Nintendo, and other electronics companies poking their head into the gaming arena? Couldn't someone argue that Sony had non gaming intentions behind some of their consoles? Pushing DVD? Pushing Bluray? Pushing CELL? Pushing 3DTVs they were trying to sell?

They've also closed their own number of studios over the years. Bought Zipper, drove them into the ground making Socom games, and then dissolved them when they stopped making money. Isn't that kind of how this industry works? Studios make games that don't sell, studio goes out of business.

Sony entered into a far more crowded market comparably speaking. The hardware push is logical to a degree, even if a fair amount of it didn't always stick.

The closing studios thing is going to have to be a case by case basis for both, as I don't think the circumstances are the same for either of them.

That's possibly 10 million people missing out on Lara!

By the time the game comes out you will be looking at 20 million PS4 console sales at least... this is why I think it's a timed exclusive (like everyone else is suggesting) and they of course don't want to tell people that.

I'm personally not a fan of this kind of thing, especially after I supported Tomb Raider on PS3 and PS4, day 1, full price. If it does come to PS4... I will most likely wait a while.

Sony just has a better PR and strategy. Focus on the games and gamers and thus make money.

I'd argue that the way MS has been interacting with the community through the feedback site, the preview program, and the impressive way they've reacted to user concerns and requests for new features, represents a better PR and strategy. I just don't see where the amazing Sony strategy is that everyone keeps talking about. They're just outselling the competition and seemingly still riding high on the momentum they've built up, and, to be honest, I think they're pretty damn complacent as a result of that success. I'm obviously not saying they have no strategy at all, but I can't for the life of me imagine what somehow makes it better than what Microsoft has been doing month in and month out.

What better focus on gamers can there be than the way MS has been working with and allowing a community of gamers to help mold and improve the xbox one? What better example is there than the way they've listened and almost immediately reacted to desires and concerns? I still can't believe we're about to get MKV both through DLNA and via a USB drive. I'm even excited about animated gif support. The number of additions and new features that there have been to the xbox one since launch, and anything associated with xbox one, such as smartglass, has been nuts. And, personally, I consider who's doing the better job of focusing on games by who I perceive as having the much more attractive looking lineup of games, and that, I really have to say, is the Xbox One easy. The games coming to XB1 are just overall so much more exciting than what I see coming to the PS4, and after so many major press events for the PS4, they (Sony) still haven't done enough to address that perception. I can't be the only person that sees this happening, or sees the lineup of big exclusives coming to the Xbox One.

It's all relative, I guess, and nobody has to agree with my opinion, but the way I see it the Xbox One has really been winning in the areas that matter most. The fact that sales don't reflect this, I think, doesn't change what I've seen taking place. Some of the most exciting things to happen on the PS4 front for me have been TLOU remaster (A perfect move by Sony for many gamers that likely didn't get to play this gem, and there's a lot of them). Of all the games a detective friend of mine literally regrets not having on his xbox 360, it was this one. Bloodborne (not my type of game, but a game with stunningly beautiful art direction, and a game that I fully expect to be excellent even if it's not exactly my cup of tea). It's in a similar category to games like Bioshock where I understood how good or how big Bioshock was even though I felt it wasn't for me. The folders coming to the PS4 OS/UI, Sharefactory and Little Big Planet having movement in 3D space, which could go a long ways to changing that series for the better, and the amazing turnaround/progress, whatever you wanna call it, Drive Club has made compared to when it was slated as a PS4 launch game. And there's other stuff I'm leaving out or forgetting obviously, but I still feel a lot of this doesn't hold up very well compared to what's been offered on the Xbox One.

I'd argue that the way MS has been interacting with the community through the feedback site, the preview program, and the impressive way they've reacted to user concerns and requests for new features, represents a better PR and strategy. I just don't see where the amazing Sony strategy is that everyone keeps talking about. They're just outselling the competition and seemingly still riding high on the momentum they've built up, and, to be honest, I think they're pretty damn complacent as a result of that success. I'm obviously not saying they have no strategy at all, but I can't for the life of me imagine what somehow makes it better than what Microsoft has been doing month in and month out.

What better focus on gamers can there be than the way MS has been working with and allowing a community of gamers to help mold and improve the xbox one? What better example is there than the way they've listened and almost immediately reacted to desires and concerns? I still can't believe we're about to get MKV both through DLNA and via a USB drive. I'm even excited about animated gif support. The number of additions and new features that there have been to the xbox one since launch, and anything associated with xbox one, such as smartglass, has been nuts. And, personally, I consider who's doing the better job of focusing on games by who I perceive as having the much more attractive looking lineup of games, and that, I really have to say, is the Xbox One easy. The games coming to XB1 are just overall so much more exciting than what I see coming to the PS4, and after so many major press events for the PS4, they (Sony) still haven't done enough to address that perception. I can't be the only person that sees this happening, or sees the lineup of big exclusives coming to the Xbox One.

It's all relative, I guess, and nobody has to agree with my opinion, but the way I see it the Xbox One has really been winning in the areas that matter most. The fact that sales don't reflect this, I think, doesn't change what I've seen taking place. Some of the most exciting things to happen on the PS4 front for me have been TLOU remaster (A perfect move by Sony for many gamers that likely didn't get to play this gem, and there's a lot of them). Of all the games a detective friend of mine literally regrets not having on his xbox 360, it was this one. Bloodborne (not my type of game, but a game with stunningly beautiful art direction, and a game that I fully expect to be excellent even if it's not exactly my cup of tea). It's in a similar category to games like Bioshock where I understood how good or how big Bioshock was even though I felt it wasn't for me. The folders coming to the PS4 OS/UI, Sharefactory and Little Big Planet having movement in 3D space, which could go a long ways to changing that series for the better, and the amazing turnaround/progress, whatever you wanna call it, Drive Club has made compared to when it was slated as a PS4 launch game. And there's other stuff I'm leaving out or forgetting obviously, but I still feel a lot of this doesn't hold up very well compared to what's been offered on the Xbox One.

Couldn't have said it better myself

There is nothing really wrong with Drek’s post, but it’s a fairly one-sided look at the issue.

The thing that breaks Drek’s post is that assumption that they made foothold into the industry by buying up studios, even two of those studios were actively seeking to be acquired, and there before is evil. That logic doesn’t quiet work, because Sony, by the same logic, also bought themselves into the industry by buying out studios. In total they have acquired 7 studios, not including 4 they closed, that were independent. That sounds like they are evil right? No, they saw promise in those studios and wanted them to exclusivity create for them. See, you can twist anything to your advantage and that above post just outright did.

A big part of that post also forgets that the past experiences for MS has resulted in them to not going acquiring crazy and that has benefitted both gamers and developers. They approach companies now for publishing deals, some with IP ownership or others with publishing rights. The beneficial thing is that those companies are less dependent on an overlord, the independence means they can do multiple projects on multiple platforms, especially emerging platforms that always catch Microsoft off guard. Good for gamers, as they get to see developers getting tied down to one platform. It’s also a good way for both the publisher and developer to feel each other out, if it works, it works but if it doesn’t then the studio doesn’t go under or gets forced to work on one IP forever. This sounds like a theory, right? Well, look at Gears of War, Mass Effect (Before getting acquired by EA), Scalebound, Alan Wake, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Quantum Break. And this isn’t going to be the last. The post also assumes that by this deal that Microsoft will not make any new IP, which is already been disproven by SO, QB, Ori and so on. Again, a lot of assumptions.

Their handling of acquired studios has been terrible, and they are not going to do any of those big purchases anymore. They have however started their own internal development studios, like 343 and Team Dekota for example, their homegrown studios with their own regime. Most of them are unproved though, so they are nothing to be shouting as a huge plus. It’s better than them buying up studios, gutting them and closing them; that’s for sure.

Excellent post.

Does it really matter if they don't own the studio of some of the games they publish? Mass Effect was pitched directly to them after they built up a relationship with BioWare with KotOR and Jade Empire. I don't see how that's any different from being pitched a game from an internal studio. Its the developers that are coming up with the game, and the publisher who accepts or declines. It doesn't matter if they are internal or external.

JaggedSac

Its pretty much textbook agile development. Windows is going to be the same way starting with Threshold.

Excellent post.

Does it really matter if they don't own the studio of some of the games they publish? Mass Effect was pitched directly to them after they built up a relationship with BioWare with KotOR and Jade Empire. I don't see how that's any different from being pitched a game from an internal studio. Its the developers that are coming up with the game, and the publisher who accepts or declines. It doesn't matter if they are internal or external.

It matters because they were banking on the product to legitimately be successful on the long run. But look at what happens, Gears or War ended up being bought by MS anyways while ME ended up in EA, it's all about buying themselves into a strategic location with minimal risk possible. Sony does the opposite, which is why they're getting a better public reception, not to mention in inherently assures that the customers would always have a consistent expectation when it comes to real established exclusives and IP.

Sony are the purest form of charity, their execs have even gone so far as to take pretty big pay cuts multiple times in the past few years.

Sony are lovely David and MS is that horrible goliath. But even worse than the original goliath because the MS goliath has tons of evil money too.

Top Bottom