• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League Xbox One/PC cross-play coming today

OmegaFax

Is anybody here a PC Rocket League player?

It would be interesting to test something... Right now if a PC player creates a private lobby with password, PS4 players can join him.
What would happen if both a XBox One and PS4 player join the PC lobby? Will we all play together? (assuming this news are true)...

I'm wondering about this as well. I only have the game on PS4 though. Maybe cross-play is there as an unannounced feature of the update.

Man, E3 would be a great time to announce the first Xbox / Playstation cross platform game. I hope the companies can work out the politics.

"First Xbox/Playstation cross platform game?! But Final Fantasy XI came out in 2006 for the Xbox 360!"

Sony has never had an issue letting PC play with PS2/3/4, and it's historically been a Microsoft issue anyhow. I think at this point, it's simply a 'does the tech work well?' 'what restrictions should/do we impose?' policy debate between the two (likely more on MSFT's side, because of their closed infrastructure on XBL) than anything else.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Both SONY & MSFT have been pretty clear on their crossplat policies and it's a definite no for shooters to include PC players. That said, it would indeed be a shame if Titanfall 2 or ANY upcoming mutiplat shooter, isn't crossplat between PSN and XBL. Nintendo should join in too, next year when they launch.

What did they say about cross play with shooters?

Outrun

I'm not sure what the deal is behind closed doors, but I'd say it's Microsoft's turn now as they've not said in public how this will work. On that note I've maintained that Sony will probably flip them the bird if the way they want it to work is for PS4 owners to sign up to Xbox Live on their console.

Why does MS need to publically disclose the inner workings? Isn't enough that Sony knows how it will work. If Sony feels that MS's terms are utter BS (and this is a distinct possibility) then they could publically say that they are turning the opportunity down due to unfair terms.

ps3ud0

Why does MS need to publically disclose the inner workings? Isn't enough that Sony knows how it will work. If Sony feels that MS's terms are utter BS (and this is a distinct possibility) then they could publically say that they are turning the opportunity down due to unfair terms.
Whatever discussion is happening its gonna be NDAed to hell and back

ps3ud0 8)

Bsigg12

There is no additional work required to enable full cross play. It's a policy thing at this point. The build we're patching in today has all the tech required for any platform to play with any other.

Well this is cool to hear. Hopefully you guys get the green light to enable that.

Man, E3 would be a great time to announce the first Xbox / Playstation cross platform game. I hope the companies can work out the politics.

This is #1 on my "E3 of Dreams" list.

MS Presser: Phil Spencer comes out on stage. He says, "we've got a very special guest to invite to the stage... one we've never had present before. Please welcome, Sony's Chairman, Shawn Layden."

Crowd applauds widely as this came out of nowhere.

Shawn Layden: "Today, I'm here to announce an unprecedented event in console history. For the first time EVER, Xbox gamers will be able to play online... against PS4 gamers."

Crowd goes absolutely ballistic. Tears are shed, the front row is visibly shaking.

Shawn Layden: "Starting today... (pauses for more applause, camera pans to a fan collapsing into the aisle) Rocket League players will have a universal player base. Followed by DC Universe Online, Star Wars Battlefront and coming this holiday... Call of Duty and Titanfall 2."

The audience begins screaming so loudly blood begins to shoot from their collective throats.

Shawn Layden: "We'll have more announcements concerning cross-platform play during the Sony press conference. So be sure to tune in. Thanks, Phil."

Paramedics are called to attend to the survivors. Bodies are stacked like cordwood near the entrance.

Soulflarz

Banned
There is no additional work required to enable full cross play. It's a policy thing at this point. The build we're patching in today has all the tech required for any platform to play with any other.

lol
shh
enable it
they'll never know

(so what if we all join a private server? What if your ps4 friend joins your pc server and your xbone friend joins?)

lol
shh
enable it
they'll never know

(so what if we all join a private server? What if your ps4 friend joins your pc server and your xbone friend joins?)
hqdefault.jpg

xboxonecrucified-660x350.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Glad to hear you confirm this again. I remember you saying on reddit that you had it working weeks ago. Since this will split the matchmaking PC userbase for PS4 players and present a lesser quality online experience for them, I'm assuming you're hard at work with the platform holders to rectify this, right?

This also does not alleviate the problem of bigger tournaments such as RLCS being limited to PC/PS4 or, in the future, PC/XB1. For Rocket League to continue growing as an e-sport, we really have to include all three platforms. Sure, most pro players use a PC, but some are on console. And the majority of the userbase is on PS4+XB1. Continuing to exclude one or both from tournaments is probably not for the best.

Essentially, this is a win for PC players, partial win for XB1 players, and a loss for PS4 players. I'm happy for PC and XB1 players, but I'm hopeful that you, Sony, Microsoft, and Valve can figure this out before a very large population of PS4 Rocket League players becomes alienated by the longer and less accurate matchmaking.

Consumer

Welp, so much for those inflated XB1 divisions. I expect everyone to move down a few ranks this week.

Still waiting on PS4-XB1 cross play. Not sure what the delay is, considering everyone's on board.

Integrated but still segregated.

Not quite sure what you mean. So just to clarify for everyone else, PC and XB1 players will not be able to party up together and queue up in the playlists. However, they will be able to play together in private matches. Same with PC/PS4 players.

The upshot of the private matches is that there can now be PC/XB1 tournaments. Unfortunately, that means PS4 players would be left out, just as XB1 players are currently excluded from most tournaments such as RLCS.

This news made my day, xbox population was pretty low even at peak hours so having another large pool of players is awesome news. Hope we can get some crossplay with PS4 soon as well. Now I can't wait to get home and enjoy some RL tonight.

GodofWine

Without being able to party up with the other platforms, adding Xb1 to PS4 players doesn't seem like a big deal, player counts will be fine with it being XB1-PC / PS4-PC.

Now, if they open up the party system somehow, then I can play ranked games with some XB1 teammates I know, and that would get me hyped for it.

True. I dream of a day where I can play matchmaking online teaming with my roommates on two TVs without using split screen

same. The reasoning from what I've read is because they would have to make their own network backend from scratch and hire an entire team so it cab have 24 hour support.You'd like make a RL Account and use their networks party system. Expensive and a huge undertaking for what is still a small developer.

KainXVIII

After latest patch i never witnessed any xbox players on pc version (or maybe they have same psy.net icon?). I'm the only one?

Warablo

These threads are always great for finding out who has fallen for Microsofts PR and also doesnt know Sony's history of allowing cross play platforms.

With PC they have been open, but nothing dealing with Microsoft. In fact, I don't think they will even allow Skype on the Ps4. Despite Microsoft showing interest.

Klyka

Banned
Aren't console players a little fed up by now getting completely shutdown by PC players using KB+M?

*snicker*

Top Bottom