• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2017 |OT| - The Worst Slam

Kensuke

Wawrinka has waked up a little bit, but I think it's too late already. Nadal is also playing lights out tennis, making it a lot harder for Stan to get into rhythm. He would need to play at the level at which he beat Djokovic in 2015 to stand a chance. Still a very disappointing performance so far though.

Ensirius

Wawrinka has waked up a little bit, but I think it's too late already. Nadal is also playing lights out tennis, making it a lot harder for Stan to get into rhythm. He would need to play at the level at which he beat Djokovic in 2015 to stand a chance. Still a very disappointing performance so far though.
Wawa is done.
Pack it up.

mcfrank

Factual thread title.

Tennis on a real surface starts next week though.

tumblr_oewk52fgFm1sso0u9o3_500.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
One of the most dominant performances in recent GS history. Utter destruction at 31.

Not had much chance to watch Roland Garros this year, but congrats to Rafa. My boy wins that 10th title to confirm his 'pretty good' status on the red dirt. Final was crap, but Stan would have needed the combined powers of every great champion in the history of the game to give him a match today. Nobody was stopping Rafa from winning to no. 10.

Onto Wimbledon, it should be more fun with the Fed in the mix and that beautiful green lawn.

Diamond

Reminds me of the 2008 final against Federer. Complete destruction. I doubt Wawrinka was at his best but even if he was, who can beat Rafa on the Chatrier when he plays like that? The fact that there's 9 years between these two matches is also incredible.

Green Yoshi

Congratulations, Nadal. Well deserved victory. But in Wimbledon it will be Federer's turn.

In the month Nadal first won the French Open Microsoft announced the Xbox 360. And now it's the Scorpio. What a crazy career.

Talka

What do we think is the most likely slam counts once Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic have all retired?

My guess:

• Federer: 19
  • Nadal: 18
  • Djokovic: 17
I don't know. I guess I'm assuming Federer has one more left in him, Nadal wins a couple more French Opens and maybe one more non-clay title, and Djokovic eventually sorts himself out and becomes dominant again.

Who knows!

mcfrank

What do we think is the most likely slam counts once Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic have all retired?

My guess:

• Federer: 19
  • Nadal: 18
  • Djokovic: 17
I don't know. I guess I'm assuming Federer has one more left in him, Nadal wins a couple more French Opens and maybe one more non-clay title, and Djokovic eventually sorts himself out and becomes dominant again.

Who knows!

I think Djoker getting to 17 is optimistic. He is 30 years old. Fed has only won 2 slams after 30. Nadal has now won 1 slam after 30. For Djoker to get to 17 he would have to win 5 slams after 30 which is very unlikely.

graphic_EN.png

Diamond

It's hard to predict any future victory at this point, be it for Rafa, Roger, Djokovic, even Murray or Wawrinka. They are at ages where every champion in history slowly stopped winning. So every victory they get could be the last. They are all battling against time, which makes it all the more interesting.
Incredible season so far, it's crazy to get Federer and Nadal as the two first slam winners in 2017, nobody would have predicted that.

What's a little bit frightening is that all these guys are gonna retire in a close time window, it will be hard for tennis to move on without new champions rising very soon.

Top Bottom