• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BG&E2: Odyssey is a Switch timed exclusive (12 months, then PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTag

Banned
This is going to be a Rayman situation if Switch isn't a success at game launh next 2028.
Rayman blew up in their faces pretty badly. Got a ton of negative response for the delay and lost exclusivity and the game ended up bombing anyway, with the Wii U version still selling best.

Oh goodness, put down the Nin banners boys; it's a legitimate question.

How is a year exclusivity of B G&E going to move units for Nin? TR was a legitimate household name, but B G&E?
I think it is more about creating the type of portfolio you want.

MS doesn't have a game like Uncharted - Tomb Raider exclusive
Sony wants to reign over the fighting game community - SFV exclusive
Nintendo wants to work with more third party and fill gaps in their lineup - BG&E2 exclusive

They don't always work out but, at least for the duration of the partnership, it improves their catalog.

Arzehn

Considering the previous rumors of this possibly being a full on exclusive, this should be considered good news (rumor) for many. You won't have to buy a Switch to play the game.

Icolin

Banned
People should maybe consider that Nintendo put up enough money to get this game greenlighted and it may not have existed without them.

It doesn't seem like a Bayonetta 2 situation to me, where the game wouldn't happen without Nintendo's involvement; it seems more along the lines of the ROTTR situation, where the game would happen regardless of the involvement of a first party.

We'll have to wait and see though.

PeterGAF

Banned
What makes this different from when you get happy when [insert your platform owner of choice] does this?
Because it's not like timed exclusives doesn't exist elsewhere and seemingly most of the time we don't get giant threads about it with a lot of angry people.

I do agree that all of these kinds of deals are bad for consumers in general but it just feels like this forum is filled to the brim with hypocrits.
Well MS gets criticized whenever they have a timed exclusive. Obviously this thread is a reminder that Nintendo gets criticized when they get a timed exclusive. The only member of the big three that people seem to turn a blind eye to in regards towards timed exclusives is Sony, and that's probably due to most people on this site owning a PS4 and in general being a bit more biased in Sony's favor as a result.

So I think most people are critical about the idea of timed exclusives accross the board, but they just don't complain when it doesn't hurt them. A little hypocritical, but it is what it is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is the second time the details have changed. I'm still firmly in Camp Inaccurate.

And yeah, I figured this would be a full exclusive so this is pretty good news for me. I'm interested in Switch but in case that doesn't fall through like I want, I can get this on PS4 down the road.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People should maybe consider that Nintendo put up enough money to get this game greenlighted and it may not have existed without them.
Which would make it being a timed exclusive even more interesting.

Was fully expecting it to be a Switch exclusive.

ViciousDS

Banned
more and more reasons to wait on even grabbing a switch........until a new pokemon......I'm not talking a remaster version of basically sun and moon

I know nothing's gonna happen on January 12th, and unlike people who get swayed by rumour threads going into double digits, I won't be disappointed if this rumour doesn't come to fruition. Just trying to make it easy for myself.

Oersted

more and more reasons to wait on even grabbing a switch........until a new pokemon......I'm not talking a remaster version of basically sun and moon

A game is a reason for you to wait with a gameconsole? You know what gameconsoles are about, right?

Ridley327

Well, even LEGO City Undercover is being ported over to other consoles, despite the heavy involvement from Nintendo. Unless it's a situation like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third, which were straight-up rescues of projects already in an advanced stage of production, I doubt Nintendo has the kind of leverage to get a full-on exclusive outside of those circumstances.

JP

Seems like a strange move, if it is true. We all know how badly the Tomb Raider deal work out for everybody involved.

aBarreras

It doesn't seem like a Bayonetta 2 situation to me, where the game wouldn't happen without Nintendo's involvement; it seems more along the lines of the ROTTR situation, where the game would happen regardless of the involvement of a first party.

the game is 14 years old, do you really think it would happen "regardless"? lol

Tomb Raider reboot was very successful to where you knew that a sequel would be financed regardless of any exclusivity deals, but Beyond Good & Evil was never a high selling title and the sequel has been in limbo for years now.

Well MS gets criticized whenever they have a timed exclusive. Obviously this thread is a reminder that Nintendo gets criticized when they get a timed exclusive. The only member of the big three that people seem to turn a blind eye to in regards towards timed exclusives is Sony, and that's probably due to most people on this site owning a PS4 and in general being a bit more biased in Sony's favor as a result.

So I think most people are critical about the idea of timed exclusives accross the board, but they just don't complain when it doesn't hurt them. A little hypocritical, but it is what it is.
Nah, Sony got shit for SFV. Perhaps not as much (the exclusivity deals aren't 1:1) but it is blatantly false to say the community turned a blind eye.

First you need to explain what times exclusive Sony has had that would make any of this statement true? Because as far as I'm concerned, they happen to be extra dlc content but I can't remember any full games Sony had that did this..

----

I don't even know this game since I haven't played the first one but gg Nintendo? I'm more concerned about how this game is going to falter after the year is up when other games are going to be out and no one will care after the fact. Isn't that what happened with tomb raider?

LordRaptor

I suspect its just the market reality that modern AAA game development is so expensive and the potential audience is so rarefied that full on single platform exclusives not wholly owned by a platform owner are just not economically viable anymore.

Icolin

Banned
Tomb Raider reboot was very successful to where you knew that a sequel would be financed regardless of any exclusivity deals, but Beyond Good & Evil was never a high selling title and the sequel has been in limbo for years now.

Yeah, good point.

Anyways, I think it's safe to assume that this is 100% happening at this point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I know nothing's gonna happen on January 12th, and unlike people who get swayed by rumour threads going into double digits, I won't be disappointed if this rumour doesn't come to fruition. Just trying to make it easy for myself.

Well, the reveal portion of the rumour has changed from the game will be featured during the Switch reveal (which it wasn't, but let's assume for the moment her source misspoke) to it'll likely be at the media event, so it being a no-show would no longer discredit the rumour as Dale's given herself a little bit of wiggle room. I don't think there'll be closure until Ubi itself finally re-announces the game.

ViciousDS

Banned
A game is a reason for you to wait with a gameconsole? You know what gameconsoles are about, right?

What? Your logic makes no sense here. Sounds like viral marketing

um......yes......why waste money and buy a console right away when there will be sales by the time the game you want comes out?

It's no different then me waiting for when they removed the kinect from the xbox one and perma dropped the price when Sunset Overdrive came out......as it was the one game I wanted.

Nintendo switch aint going to have shit most likely for 3rd party.....so might as well wait for the library to build itself.

People do wait to buy things

Given the previous rumour (from the same person no less!) was that BG&E2 was a Switch exclusive, I'd have thought people would be happy to hear that it's only timed.

Silly me.

Ridley327

As someone unfamiliar with the original's audience, how would this compare to Bayonetta 2 in terms of fan meltdowns?

Less, thanks to BG&E being a much, much, much smaller crowd than Bayonetta had, which should tell you a lot right there.

It really can't be overstated how poorly BG&E sold. They were giving it away about a month after it came out with new copies of Prince of Persia.

I suspect its just the market reality that modern AAA game development is so expensive and the potential audience is so rarefied that full on single platform exclusives not wholly owned by a platform owner are just not economically viable anymore.
Or PC gets added to help soften the blow, at least.

As someone unfamiliar with the original's audience, how would this compare to Bayonetta 2 in terms of fan meltdowns?
Well, since this isn't full exclusive, it probably won't be remotely comparable.

I'd use Sony's timed DLC deals as an example. Those always get a ton of shit from users here.
He was talking about exclusive games but I guess you could lump those in there.

All three companies get the same noise.

big_erk

That's not how things generally work with late ports. The hype and anticipation usually isn't there for whenever they release. And a year late port that's digital only on consoles? That really would be dead on arrival.

It's not really about hype or anticipation. It's simply about reaching the handful of people interested in the project. A lot of the people interested in this game may not be interested in the Switch, but will at least look at it now that the game is coming to the system. Once again generating mindshare. We can debate the total impact the game will have (it will probably be pretty low) but it will have an impact.

E-phonk

Banned
So much salt. lol.

BG&E as a franchise is a good fit for a nintendo system, it's a non-violent adventure game with quirky humor that I fondly remember playing on my gamecube... and re-bought on PS3. I always like what Ancel makes so hope they show off some gameplay on the 12th.

The rumour of it being NX/Switch exclusive is almost a year old now btw. (also by Laura).

PS: I also fully expect bayonetta 3. Nintendo wants a divers portfolio in it's first year on the market.

Ridley327

Any Ubisoft games run on Unreal Engine 4? From what we've heard so far lots of UE4 Switch games are in development.

Not that we've heard of. Ubi uses an assortment of different in-house engines, though they're generally scalable.

I'm not really sure that the engine is all that important. If this rumor bears out, then it's already working on the Switch by default.

If it's timed exclusive, then Nintendo are probably covering the marketing costs and other things not related to the development budget. That'd be all Ubisoft's end since it'll apparently get releases on the other consoles.

Icolin

Banned
If it's timed exclusive, then Nintendo are probably covering the marketing costs and other things not related to the development budget. That'd be all Ubisoft's end since it'll apparently get releases on the other consoles.

Yeah, I'll go with this answer for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom