• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Damian Wayne-led Batman game in dev? [Up: New rumors plus Suicide Squad]

You guys are making me miss Tim as Robin. :(

It's probably nostalgia but I feel like my version of DC's golden age corresponds to Tim's tenure as Robin : from the late 80s to Flashpoint. Sure, there was a lot of garbage in the 90s but overall, DC published so much great stuff during that era... Oh boy, I'm getting old.

Katori

"The original Batman's son?" That's very nondescript, it could be Dick as well. Or Tim actually. The only Batkids he didn't adopt were Jason and Barbara, IIRC.

Would much rather see Dick than Damian.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Damian is half-villain

Uh. Maybe in 2006. Have you read anything related to Damian in the past five years? He's had a very profound character development, both under Morrison and the writers after him (especially Tomasi), and is not the murder-happy, amoral brat he started as.

SJRB

Gold Member
Worst thing about each Batman game is how it's "larger" than the last. Now it gets even bigger.

An actual Gotham City with civilians and all that is something that I very much would like to see. Though executed pretty well, a completely deserted Gotham in Arkham Knight was kind of silly.

I'd LOVE a fully-fledged Gotham City.

Johndoey

Banned
I really, really, really, really, really hope the Rebirth fukkery brings Tim back into at least having a role with the damn family.

He was Robin for TWENTY YEARS and can't even get on the damn Christmas Card list.

We both know it won't happen, the best Robin will continue to get ignored,and then eventually they'll dump the character in the same bin Cassandra is in.

He was the best, and the Red Robin comics were awesome, then New 52 rolled around and gone.

aly

"The original Batman's son?" That's very nondescript, it could be Dick as well. Or Tim actually. The only Batkids he didn't adopt were Jason and Barbara, IIRC.

Would much rather see Dick than Damian.

Not sure about the Nu52 but pre-Flashpoint I think Jason was actually adopted before Dick, who was a ward for a really long time.

Jumeira

Banned
I loved the batmobile infact I've got an itch to replay the game because of it. Chasing fools and wrecking the city had a very 'Batman' feel to it, I terrified my enemies, and AK is the best game at making you feel like terrifying threat to your enemies.

dan2026

Damian for life.

batmaninc-8-best-e1362413320641.jpg
Going to be honest this brought a single manly tear to my eye (again).

Damian is great. Haters be damned.

Dremark

Banned
I read it as Damon Wayans and though even though he would be a pretty unorthodox pick for Batman, it could be pretty cool.

Am I the only one that read that as Damon Wayans? That would be pretty cool

edit: D'oh

Same here, I had to read it over

I loved him in My Wife and Kids.

I read it as that too

I found a leaked character render from the game:

4dea770065.jpg

Batman is looking pretty good.

Worst thing about each Batman game is how it's "larger" than the last. Now it gets even bigger.

The stakes getting bigger each time was the problem. They couldn't have an intimate story to tell in subsequent games.

As far as open worlds go, the Arkham series got better as it went on in that regard. They were unabashedly playgrounds built for the systems available. The problem with that is they couldn't be believably populated (and because of tech/logistics).

A "living, breathing" Gotham could be great, even as just a backdrop mostly.

Xater

Of all the people to chose they would pick Damian? Who the hell even likes that brat?

Give me Night Wing or Batgirl (Cassandra) any day.

And if you want to do future stuff just go with Batman Beyond.

Xav

I don't think I want to play another Batman game that isn't developed by Rocksteady. I've been spoilt by their trilogy and if they're ready to move on, so am I.

Then again, this is Warner Bros we're talking about. They'll do anything to continue fucking up Rocksteady's legacy.

The rumours of a Damian Wayne-led Batman game and a 3rd person shooter Suicide Squad game sound terrible. Do not want on both cases.

Effect

WB still trying to make Damian happen. Fuck me...
He already happen. People need to get used to it and accept it. He isn't going anywhere. Also make room for Jon Kent (Clark and Lois' biological son and the new Superboy.) as well. Especially once they start pairing him with Damian.

Squire

Banned
Uh. Maybe in 2006. Have you read anything related to Damian in the past five years? He's had a very profound character development, both under Morrison and the writers after him (especially Tomasi), and is not the murder-happy, amoral brat he started as.

I'm well-aware myself, I'm just not convinced WB is. I don't trust them not to sell this as "Oh yeah, this Batman can do some BAD STUFF" because having the option to be a huge asshole is so often a selling point in games, open world in particular.

Sounds a little too much like comicbook fan wish list stuff. They always go with more popular stuff. It could be cool, though.

I doubt Morrison would do it. He killed him off for a reason. He wanted him to stay dead too.

Duxxy3

I hate the notion that sequels have to have larger and larger open worlds. Is it a checkbox that developers think they have to check to justify a sequel?

All too often a larger open world just means more empty space. Or more places to hide collectibles.

The Light

If other bat family members are in I hope their inclusion feels more natural and less like a checkbox like city and knight.

LewieP

Chalk me up as another one who would prefer Terry McGinnis.

Edit: But dear god not the version of the Beyond suit that Rocksteady have previously used.

I think the Arkham games would be a good launching point for a connected series of DC game adaptations, mind. Probably why WB bought Rocksteady.

Everyone here should read Detective Comics #700 which shows a Damian Wayne Batman future in between the Beyond time and normal Batman time period. It's actually prettt damn cool since this Batman gives no fucks when fighting crime.

Luke_Wal

I hate the notion that sequels have to have larger and larger open worlds. Is it a checkbox that developers think they have to check to justify a sequel?

All too often a larger open world just means more empty space. Or more places to hide collectibles.

I agree! Go back to somewhere between Asylum and City, and make it really tight and fun. Or, better yet, take some time off with Batman and go use some other characters.

That being said, I think this rumor is absolutely fake. There's mounting evidence that WB Montreal is doing Suicide Squad and Superman, and Rocksteady seemed very insistent they weren't going to do another Batman game. Granted, WB could obviously force Rocksteady to do it, but I don't think they'd do that to one of their flagship teams, especially when they seem to cede a lot of control over to them (like completely excising Origins).

Oh god, why do they feel the need to push Damian so hard? He's good as a side character, but I don't think he can support a story on his own. It should be Dick taking over the mantle, and if not him then Tim.

I know the feeling :/ I've been rereading Tim's Robin series and his Red Robin series and I miss the character so much. My favorite DC character by far. Here's to hoping that he'll start to regain some of his old self in 'Tec come Wednesday.

Top Bottom