• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killroy87

This is what I've been trying to say on every page now. The game requires that you unlock features and locations via completing story missions, therefore they can't ensure a synchronized co-op experience until players have beaten campaign. It's not an arbitrary decision on Bungie's part, it's due to how progression is tied into the narrative and the technical issues involved with players at different points of progression attempting to form a fireteam.

How did they manage with destiny 1 then?

Kyoufu

This is what I've been trying to say on every page now. The game requires that you unlock features and locations via completing story missions, therefore they can't ensure a synchronized co-op experience until players have beaten campaign. It's not an arbitrary decision on Bungie's part, it's due to how progression is tied into the narrative and the technical issues involved with players at different points of progression attempting to form a fireteam.

Literally every MMO out there solved this years and years ago.

Ryuuga

Banned
I mean if it's true that you can't play it at first with multiple people. If that's the case, that's not the kind of thing that can be changed in six weeks.

You nor I have no knowledge of that, whether the time-frame to change or the possibility. Which is why I'm simply letting Bungie know how people feel about the decision in hope it IS possible to do so. I don't think voicing my opinion make me nor any other naive and would rather spend time advocating for change than to just accept that things are set in stone.

I don't see what's wrong with this. Honestly, narrative heavy games almost always lose something when played cooperatively. This way, players will be able to enjoy the plot the first time around and then replay the missions with friends if they want to.

Good thing Destiny isn't narrative heavy.

ACR0019

This may be just a case of odd wording and co-op unlocks after the first several missions. Hopefully, at least.

Really don't see how anyone's defending this though. The majority of the people I play Destiny with don't give a shit about the story and play it to unwind with friends.

In the context of what Destiny 1 and Bungie's Halo campaigns offered, no campaign co-op on the first playthrough is a big blow. But I hope you realize there are a ton of people who get interested by the mention of a great solo campaign. Also, some people want to play Destiny for the story and it seems like the D2 team has shifted priorities to engage those players. There's no need for the presumptuous tone of your post imo.

Yes you could play the Halo games through in coop. But I felt, when playing through D1, the MMO-lite aspect of the game prevented them from crafting a tight and focused campaign as they did previously. So instead of being focused on loot drops and such, we have a narrative focused section with additional MMO focused areas I guess?

I'm just throwing hypotheticals out there. My interest in D2 is close to nothing unless it gets outstanding reviews. As a huge fan of Bungie Halo games i was trying to throw out how this could be a positive. Though again, I understand id be in the minority.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ugh, I couldn't care less about the Destiny campaign, and now you're telling me I might have to rush through it solo? I just want to get to strikes and the raid.

killroy87

Even if people are okay with this, it has to be agreed upon that Bungie has been deceptive at best with how they've messaged it. Those quotes from Luke smith, he knows exactly what they're asking, and he's just giving an answer that he can point to and say "well I did technically use the term single player here, so..."

CLBridges

Man, I remember just playing through some story missions in D1 with random Gaf members. Expanded my friends list a lot and got to talk to some cool people sometimes. It was a great experience. For D2 I was already planning to solo the story but I don't like not having the coop option. I'm hoping this is not the case because it really seems out of place for how the game is marketed. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Alienous

Even if people are okay with this, it has to be agreed upon that Bungie has been deceptive at best with how they've messaged it. Those quotes from Luke smith, he knows exactly what they're asking, and he's just giving an answer that he can point to and say "well I did technically use the term single player here, so..."

Basically.

If it is true it certainly isn't a fact that the Destiny 2 team is proud to share.

GlamFM

Banned
Ok, made up my mind. I think it's true. I think this is the structure:

-you play a set of single player missions to "own" a planet.
-planet opens up and the mp activities start.
-strikes, patrols lost sectors etc.
-move on to the next planet
-repeat

It's not ideal, but something I can live with.

Skatterd

In the context of what Destiny 1 and Bungie's Halo campaigns offered, no campaign co-op on the first playthrough is a big blow. But I hope you realize there are a ton of people who get interested by the mention of a great solo campaign. Also, some people want to play Destiny for the story and it seems like the D2 team has shifted priorities to engage those players. There's no need for the presumptuous tone of your post imo.

I hope they have a great story and I really don't mind playing through it solo. And not trying to presume anything. But you can have an improved story and not completely kill co-op. There's no reason you can't have it both ways. And if it's not there then after midnight release the first impression a large part of their audience waiting to play this with their friends will have of this game will be a negative one. I mean that's just how it is. People will get home excited to play this multiplayer game with their friends and be immediately bummed.

That really sucks if true. We were actually planning a fireteam run with friends from D1 on Wednesday.

Stop trying to justify it as a solo run being the "right way" or some other bullshit. Just give us both options.

If this is true for the whole campaign, it's really awful it wasn't explained earlier when D2 was announced. It's understandable if the first 2-3 missions don't let you do co-op since you'll be powerless after Homecoming, but the entire campaign being SP is just a bad decision. And despite bungie wanting to keep a lot of Destiny 2 a secret for surprises, this is just a shitty surprise... And I never play games through Co-op first. But to take that option away? God how did they not get shit internally for this? This better be a misunderstanding.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yet its worked perfecrly fine in the rest of their games. There's no big technical issue there that they haven't addressed in every single game they've made. Your progression is tied to your story, and you can invite friends if you want. It's not that complicated.

Are there any services that have people play things for you on your account? I'd pay to not have to play this solo so my friends and i can do it together on the weekend.

Van Bur3n

There is absolutely no logical reason to do this. And what is even more baffling is that people are being just as illogical in actually defending such a terrible design choice if true.

This is Destiny we're talking about here. A game that, although can be played as solo as you want, is still a social experience and a multiplayer game through and through. To further take away the choice for people to want to play a social game however they want, be it alone or with one or two friends...there is simply no reason for it.

And for people arguing that this could be for "narrative" reasons, bull fucking shit. This is Bungie we're talking about here. This is a shooter we're talking about here. This "narrative" isn't going to be any more compelling than Halo was as a shooter and every Halo had coop from the start. And Destiny is more focused on multiplayer than Halo ever was. And for fuck's sake, there should be no technical reason behind it either because Bungie has already been able to pull this off in the past. Don't try to pull that bullshit argument.

But hey, as I said, this is Bungie we're talking about here. I know of no other developer who has made so many design decisions with no real reasoning behind them besides ruining the fucking fun of the game.

ACR0019

There's no way. The whole point of the game is to play in coop. Having to play SP first would defeat that.

I think they want to reintroduce the mechanics of Destiny through a great single-player campaign and then let you team up for literally every activity after you complete it (patrols, strikes, Trials, raids, etc.)

Being forced to play single-player doesn't defeat the game's focus on co-op.

xabbott

I didn't do "end game" stuff in Destiny. I just played all the quest with my brother then did pvp. This pretty much eliminates the only reason for me to get D2.

not really :)

Yes really. The number of users in Destiny who are trying to experience a rich cinematic story are low in the grand scheme of things. Tons of players are there strictly for the co-op / MMO features. I know at least 2 people who will likely skip the game entirely if this is true

UberLevi

How did they manage with destiny 1 then?

If I remember correctly you had to do some preliminary feature introductions in the first couple of missions before co-op actually opened up. Destiny 2 is about losing all your stuff and then having to work back up to it all, a little bit at a time.

Literally every MMO out there solved this years and years ago.

Destiny isn't an MMO, it's a mission based FPS and those missions are designed to introduce the player to fundamental functionalities. I'm just explaining things as they make the most sense. A lot of people are shit talking Bungie about just doing stuff for the sake of making changes that players will hate, but there's a reason why things get changed during development. It's not all random knob twisting and self sabotage. They added co-op to the campaign once you complete the campaign. That kind of implies that it's do-able but they need the player to experience it solo first for some reason, and that reason is likely tied to the way you unlock features within the game as the story progresses.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

-repeat

so like destiny 1 then? you need to play the campaign to unlock strikes/patrol model. not all planets are accessible at the beginning.

i swear people love to just complain and moan. some people need to cut down on all the salt in their diet. (not directed at you GlamFM).

Theorry

-repeat

So like Destiny 1? :D

GlamFM

Banned
so like destiny 1 then? you need to play the campaign to unlock strikes/patrol model. not all planets are accessible at the beginning.

i swear people love to just complain and moan. some people need to cut down on all the salt in their diet. (not directed at you GlamFM).

No. Not like D1. In D1 you could play the campaign co op on your first run.

Lol, this is doubly terrible when you factor in the point that you're gonna wanna replay it with the two different classes and going through it solo 3 times would suuuck.

I'm assuming this means there's still no matchmaking for missions?

You're not a real Destiny player then 🤓

/s

Oh please, people are starting to make excuses for bungie already. This is the only way I played the game and I'm not the only one. If this is true then this pretty much kills the game for me, what fucking idiots

Considering pretty much every Halo game after 2 had co-op through the campaign this would be completely idiotic and a huge step backwards

Jawmuncher

I think they want to reintroduce the mechanics of Destiny through a great single-player campaign and then let you team up for literally every activity after you complete it (patrols, strikes, Trials, raids, etc.)

Being forced to play single-player doesn't defeat the game's focus on co-op.

I get that to a point. But at least for my group the only reason we played was because of the coop from beginning to end. No one I know is really looking to play solo and then play the same missions again.

We didn't do anything extra, we just wanted the story.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Oh please, people are starting to make excuses for bungie already. This is the only way I played the game and I'm not the only one. If this is true then this pretty much kills the game for me, what fucking idiots
Are you fucking serious right now? I was cleaning being facetious for fuck's sake.

Ryuuga

Banned
No. Not like D1. In D1 you could play the campaign co op on your first run.

I don't think people understand that they're in defense of less options with regards to how activities are approached in D2. Yes, the unlocking part is the same, but there was no solo-only aspect of D1 as far as I can remember.

killroy87

If I remember correctly you had to do some preliminary feature introductions in the first couple of missions before co-op actually opened up. Destiny 2 is about losing all your stuff and then having to work back up to it all, a little bit at a time.

Destiny isn't an MMO, it's a mission based FPS and those missions are designed to introduce the player to fundamental functionalities. I'm just explaining things as they make the most sense. A lot of people are shit talking Bungie about just doing stuff for the sake of making changes that players will hate, but there's a reason why things get changed during development. It's not all random knob twisting and self sabotage. They added co-op to the campaign once you complete the campaign. That kind of implies that it's do-able but they need the player to experience it solo first for some reason, and that reason is likely tied to the way you unlock features within the game as the story progresses.

Buddy. I get that youre okay with this, but please don't take the stance of "its how they had to do things considering the design direction of the game". There are many, many games that have solved this problem. Many. So many.

Didn't all aspects of story in Destiny 1 (cutscenes, dialogue, etc) play out like you were solo anyway? Your team mates were never in the cutscenes, so that game was doing the same thing as this. Just let me play the mission with a friend (the design is clearly there, if your letting me do it after the fact), and tell the story you want to tell. Boom.

Alienous

Makes sense to me. I'm good with this approach.

You are aware that this approach should still exist even if players were given the option to play through the campaign with their friends on their first run, right?

What's the benefit of only having the option to spend the formative hours of your CO-OP shooter experience (generally the campaign) seperated from your friends in-game?

Holiday

Banned
"Destiny is about playing with people. Now play by yourself for several hours until we allow you to play with people."

You are aware that this approach should still exist even if players were given the option to play through the campaign with their friends on their first run, right?

What's the benefit of only having the option to spend the formative hours of your CO-OP shooter experience (generally the campaign) seperated from your friends in-game?

What a stupid fucking decision, I'm actually thinking of cancelling my preorder now, what a huge bummer

"Destiny is about playing with people. Now play by yourself for several hours until we allow you to play with people."

lol

Sylas

I'm really confused how letting players do a story co-op makes it more difficult to write a good and compelling story experience. Genuinely don't know how it impacts the story whatsoever. A lot of my fun in Destiny 1 was exploring new places with my friends and finding secrets mid-mission as a result.

Eric WK

It's also pretty annoying if you have to go through Ikora in order to even replay missions, like why not just keep those on the map like D1?

I actually don't mind this. Traveling to her and selecting the specific mission from a menu shouldn't take much longer than finding that mission in map menus. But more importantly, with how detailed the maps are now in terms of public events, flash points, etc., the additional clutter could become problematic.

Yeah, this is why it would fucking suck. I am off next weekend, and my wife is going to be out of town. Was going to go all in on D2 with my brother. Instead, I'll be playing through the fucking campaign by myself for 10 hours to get to the actual stuff I want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom