• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft is preparing to acquire a new publisher this year or next from these companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm89

Acquisitions don't leak.

But I do expect them to acquire some publisher for sure. Also nobody is touching Zaslav's WB.

Fundamental issue is that Konami has no output, WB is a mess. That leaves us with Capcom, Sega and Square Enix. Also Bamco. Out of these two, Square Enix and Bamco in the worst financial condition right now. Sega is basically a second party for Microsoft in all but name at this point.
Both of regulators came up with nonsense and the next time they won't be able to come up with the same nonsense too because none of their arguments will work again. A lot of it depends on COD performance in GP too, if it greatly increases GP subs then MSFT will go after big ones like EA or T2. After all, the whole argument of CMA was "cloud cloud cloud" and it did not work out and with FTC their argument was "not publishing games to Sony" which is objectively not true either at this point.

I do expect the acquisition - but it won't leak in any case.
🤡

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sega is basically a second party for Microsoft in all but name at this point.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

drganon

Gold Member
Acquisitions don't leak.

But I do expect them to acquire some publisher for sure. Also nobody is touching Zaslav's WB.

Fundamental issue is that Konami has no output, WB is a mess. That leaves us with Capcom, Sega and Square Enix. Also Bamco. Out of these two, Square Enix and Bamco in the worst financial condition right now. Sega is basically a second party for Microsoft in all but name at this point.

Both of regulators came up with nonsense and the next time they won't be able to come up with the same nonsense too because none of their arguments will work again. A lot of it depends on COD performance in GP too, if it greatly increases GP subs then MSFT will go after big ones like EA or T2. After all, the whole argument of CMA was "cloud cloud cloud" and it did not work out and with FTC their argument was "not publishing games to Sony" which is objectively not true either at this point.

I do expect the acquisition - but it won't leak in any case.
jurassic-park-shit.gif

jm89

Anyone selling would go for the highest bid, surely?
Well highest bid isn't the only factor.

It may get massive regulator pushback there is a point where even spinless regulators like the EC say no, with MS shutting down studios and laying people off it would get unions and employees pushing back heavily.

If they go after another big publishers it could be a huge headache for the publisher to sell to MS.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Great news for gamers, especialy us over on the dream machine. I dont know what were going to choose but we will have the pick of the bunch, I have heard that its actualy the likes of Capcom and Sega ringing Phil up asking if they can join team Microsoft Xbox 😍, whoever we go for I have faith in Phil and the gang to make the right choices 💪💪💪

Capcom is killing it rn. Why would they need the likes of Phil? I also can't see Sega want to sell its gaming busines. Who benefits from this?

StueyDuck

No one has insider knowledge of these sorts of things.

The high level at which these discussions happen as well as the strenuous legal process behind it, it will never be a "rumor".

Safe to say this is a load of nonsense and someone tryna gain clout by making a possible guess

The man can't even spell Microsoft properly.

Last edited:
MS buys Sega

Playground does Daytona and Sega Rally combo game

Everyone wins

In all seriousness, given that MS won’t even be doing console exclusives soon, I don’t really care if they acquire anyone. Not that this is legit. Is Iton Lords a typo or is that a real podcast?

ReyBrujo

Isn't Warner Bros bleeding money and have been on a losing streak?

That would be exactly why they would acquire it, with consolidation they would probably cut staff in half and kill. However I don't think that happening (but might have to do with the Sony and Paramount thing).

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yes because trying to get past the FTC after the nightmare Acti Blizz was makes a lot of sense

I swear these people users dont understand how acquisition works

Fabieter

I don't see problems with acquisitions. More content for Game Pass. And don't bring the argument about "studio closures" and stuff - studios are shuttered left and right with or without acquisitions.

It's not essential to buy everything to get more content for a failed service. Netflix doesn't own most stuff they have on their service. And the fact that you dismiss that continuing aquisitions will definitely bring more closures and job losses.

The only upside is for ms cornering and disrupting the market.

Again it's embarrassing to cheer for it but go ahead.

Gojiira

Yeah I don't remember a japan based company ever being sold to a US company.
If they do happen must be really few in number. And in gaming has never ever happened.
Extremely few have been sold, those deemed as culturally relevant such as Nintendo,Sony,Sega,Capcom etc are all protected by Japanese Law, any purchase of 10% or more of them has to be okayed by the government which like you say it rarely does.

Fabieter

Extremely few have been sold, those deemed as culturally relevant such as Nintendo,Sony,Sega,Capcom etc are all protected by Japanese Law, any purchase of 10% or more of them has to be okayed by the government which like you say it rarely does.

No worry Mr Smith is gonna bully and blackmail japan to force them to give them what they want. Never forget how bad and unprofessional he handheld the no from the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom