• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonboy

If this is true, I don't think I've ever seen such aggressive, reactionary actions by a company.

How will MS change their vision for this console? It's clearly no longer what they've been spewing for the past month.

Preorders must have been TERRIBLE.

rothbart

They're still bundling it in and charging you for it.

That's completely fine with me. I'll have one if/when a compelling reason to use it is created. The mixed messaging of being able to pause/disable/turn it off but NOT disconnect it was just a crazy mixed message and a turn off (and a half) to people with privacy concerns.

GodofWine

MS should just fire EVERYONE. They will regain some sales though all this, but they have lost sales that are gone forever simply because people won't regain trust, and they frankly look like they are run by the keystone cops.

Not to mention its pretty clear sony surprised them.

Xbox wake up. Remove the childs toy called kinect from the box completely.

Hex

Banned
Exclusives. Same as every other gen.

Except that was not enough to really do the job for them this gen when they had the advantage of Sony coming out of the gate at $599 with a hard to program for dev Unfriendly cel architecture.
With Sony starting at a cheaper price, better hardware, and dev friendly hardware do you think their paltry attempts at timed exclusive money hatting will do anything for them?
That is rhetorical by the way

Syntax

So you're paying an extra $100 for a useless paper weight

with all the back pedaling they've done, they might as well as redesign their console from scratch. It was stillborn and all they've managed to do so far is make a marginally better looking xbox 360 after removing all the new stuff they had planned from it. Admittedly it was all shit, but yeah.

I wish they would. The Xbox One has no clear focus. What's the main purpose of the system? TV? Music? Social Networking? Video Games? They want it to do too much and it's suffering as a result, I feel. Granted most of us have had no real hands-on interaction with the console.

More powerful hardware, no mandatory Kinect, no DRM. In short: Xbox 720.

teiresias

That would make it officially better than PS4.

This makes absolutely no sense if they actually remove the Kinect from the SKU. This would make it a weaker console than the PS4 with any promise that default Kinect integration was supposed to provide stripped out of it.

If they leave it in the SKU, but just have relaxed the thing prompting you with "Kinect not connected" prior to starting then the price can't really budge at all.

Seems like a rock and hard place to me.

Also seems like MS has the most egregiously awful project management for this console that I've ever witnessed in pretty much every way.

Swifty

Is anyone sure that they're actually dropping Kinect from the SKU? It sounds like they're just dropping developer and OS requirements of Kinect needing to be plugged in all the time.

moho-foe

Neo Member
They are probably making software changes so you can turn it off separately without having to power down the whole console. No price drop means it's a pack-in regardless.

I can't believe they are taking a sledgehammer to all of their hard work and money spent. They are so scared they're literally gutting the whole thing. It's just a box now.

While gamers can be happy, Microsoft has only created new problems for themselves. How are they are going to market this box with no core vision, no message and no real innovation?

it's still a tough sell for them in the long-run.

Well the latest Digital Foundry article about PS4 titles don't exactly fill me with great hope for the future of the platform in that sense.

If you're worried about the PS4 having issues running games at steady framerates, then why would you not be worried about a weaker console doing the same?
I'm talking third-party games here, that can actually be compared. If Watch Dogs is running like shit on the PS4, then it'll also be running like shit on the XO, 360 and PS3.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you're just trolling, so it doesn't matter. If you honestly think that the XO is 'officially better' by announcing something similar to the PS4, then that's hilarious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Where's cboat? Why do he never leak this type of shit....like, ever? He just pile on negative news time and again.

It is a little unreasonable for someone to leak short notice stuff probably being decided in closed door meetings with high ranking execs. CBOAT is more likely to have seen longer term plans which would be more widely known.

Went to the MS Campus today and took a shot of the Xbox division

lol-wtf-is-dog-doing.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Kinect is part of MS strategy, is more than just a few policies that can be switched back, Probably whole OS features and games would have to be changed to allow this.

That's a good point. Kinect is a core part of the OS. You would think this would cause some sort of delay due to all the changes needed.

Pillville

If this is true (Kinect not mandatory), I'm guessing every XB1 will still come with one so that games can be designed with it in mind.

You can have the Kinect unplugged most of the time, but when you buy/play a game that needs it, the game maker knows that you will have one and will ask you to plug it in before playing that game.

Sendou

It's not even worth going in circles with you as that thread has already taken its course.

I do remember. Devs whip out their magic wands and suddenly PS4 games are that of PC of 2015-2016. They have 4 months to polish their games after all. You can easily fit one or two miracles there.

SRTtoZ

Is anyone sure that they're actually dropping Kinect from the SKU? It sounds like they're just dropping developer and OS requirements of Kinect needing to be plugged in all the time.

No they are NOT. It says it in the first post!

".@Xbox confirms NO #XboxOne price drop due to NO kinect requirement. #XboxOne is "competitively priced" & xbox is "confident with the value."

DoctorZ

nah. for 90% of games it's just some bullshit that could be patched out. If you want to talk to your tv, buy a Kinect, if you don't, just use your d-pad like aways.

Exactly, the notion that you could only do certain things via kinect, from a base OS level, is stupid. I highly doubt that they will have to do much of anything, for the OS and games. Developers have to assume that some people won't use the Kinect, can't speak, cant stand, etc. They have to put in the option to use a controller to do the same thing if its a basic function.

But tv tv tv tv sports?!

Holy shitballs, if the XboxOne isn't the most fucked up, controversial piece of electronics ever made...

We need inside infos, I want to know why they designed the system like that, who decided that, and what the fuck happened in the last two weeks. Did this all change due to the congressmen shit? How deep goes this giant, shit-filled rabbit hole???

Nabs

This can't be real. I always joke about it, but there's no way Microsoft is this quick to back down.

DiresuDR

That's what it read like to me. The use of it would be optional, but they never implied they will drop it from the SKU, or lower the price.

trmas

Banned
XBox 360 1.5 - an apt description. Which would make it the XBox 180!!! It all makes perfect sense. And I agree if they were going to do that, it would have been announced with the DRM removal.

GodofWine

If this is true, I don't think I've ever seen such aggressive, reactionary actions by a company.

How will MS change their vision for this console? It's clearly no longer what they've been spewing for the past month.

Preorders must have been TERRIBLE.

Seriously, they just flushed years of planning down the tube in 3 days. I imagine the Benny Hill theme song is piped into Redmond while their executive run around in a panic.

DPtheGod

In a couple of days they will announce a cheaper model. Then they will announce they are actually taking the TV features out. Then they will announce this and that and more of this and extra that.

Whatever it takes to get people to buy it, they'll do it. They will backpedal until consumers will justify their purchase, then lock you into more BS.

ekim

I might be alone but I like the fact, that Kinect is packed in so devs might come up with something useful if there is a huge install base.

inner-G

Banned
Smart idea, but it will suffer the same fate as the Eye Toy and Kinect.

Even at the same price, PS4 still has the hardware edge with the GPU and DDR5.

ironcreed

Banned
Doubt there will be a Kinect-less SKU, it would be a huge hindrance to their TV push.

But it would give a huge push to making it more attractive to gamers... who is their main audience to begin with. Their whole direction is flawed and changing it is the best thing they can do at this point.

Mrbob

Since I don't want Kinect, I would be open to a Kinect-less model. I don't know what the hell MS is doing though. Back peddling on everything before launch possibly. Kind of funny.

This is incredibly stupid considering how much lengths they're going through to integrate the thing into their OS.

They'd be smart to just price match the PS4.

Lets say MS is forecasting X amount sold at $499. If they dropped the price to $399 then they would be losing 100 dollars in profit per system. Do you really expect them to bleed like the XB1...err, XBOG days? I don't know if their share holders would accept this.

ec0ec0

microsoft is not going to match ps4 price without kinect. If the did that, they would be offering you something with less value for the same price. As a box, the ps4 is significantly more powerfull AND significant smaller (and that not comparing their "policies", ps4 also wins at that). Kinect is not going anywere.

Good point - this could be more to assuage the privacy fears than anything else.

Fruitster

If this turns out to be true, then MS would be fools not to release a Kinect free SKU of the xbone at a lower price.

ryano9929

Banned
i don't think they will drop kinect or the price. I believe they're going to give free xbox live away and some other digital things with the system

Karak

I might be alone but I like the fact, that Kinect is packed in so devs might come up with something useful if there is a huge install base.

I admit that this is something that would really be disappointing to me big time. I like that it is there for all devs.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They have not demonstrated why anyone should want Kinect, yet so far they've forced it on us and it is a factor in driving up the console price.

If they remove the requirement and sell a less expensive SKU without Kinect, nobody is going to put any effort into developing great uses for it because they know a lot of people won't even have them connected.

If they leave it in there and continue to have no compelling uses for it, people won't see the value in Kinect and won't understand why the console is $100 more than PS4.

Basically without a killer app for Kinect they are hurting themselves.

You would have thought they'd put a lot of effort into developing cool applications for Kinect. Voice recognition and the lame body control stuff we've seen so far isn't going to cut it.

nib95

Banned
That would make it officially better than PS4.

Well, it'd still be $100 more. And if they removed Kinect from the bundle and charged $399, you'd still be paying the same amount for for much less hardware performance. That being said, graphics aren't everything and it is ultimately about the games. But if you're looking for the better multiplatform versions of games, the money right now is on the PS4 in providing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom