• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sony is basically being set up to win at this point if they don't screw it up.
I remember thinking that about the PSP, and even more so about the Vita. It's funny how these things work out sometimes. Sony can be pretty good at shitting away sure wins.

Bsigg12

I reserve my purchase decisions when I get cold hard facts straight from Microsoft.

That's where I stand. When comparing the two right now, you have a column full of legitimate info from Sony and a column full of asterisks on the Microsoft side because nothing is confirmed from Microsoft. I get there are rumors that run together, but they are still just rumors. I'll ultimately get both, but depending on what Microsoft brings to the table will lead me to decide which I get first.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So that $500 outright or $300+subscription every month & I can't see that including Live
Wow MS has really has got balls, why not $400 out right with the option of subscription to additional none gaming content

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
500 dollars is not expensive for a console that we will be using in 2023+...

Especially considering how much more consoles do now than they did in 2005.

We paid $400 in 2005 for what was primarily a gaming machine that could rip some music and play some game trailers. And most of us at the time thought we would be paying another 400 dollars for Xbox 3 in 2009-10.

Now in 2013 we call an entertainment box that has Movies, TV, Music, Game Media, The Web, Social Media, Blu Ray player, a robust Arcade Marketplace, with cutting edge full voice and motion control integrated, etc etc etc

in addition to the core function of gaming console,

and one that will last at least twice as long as previously expected,

expensive.....?

Common people.

persongr

We paid $400 in 2005 for what was primarily a gaming machine that could rip some music and play some game trailers. And most of us at the time thought we would be paying another 400 dollars for Xbox 3 in 2009-10.

Now in 2013 we call an entertainment box that has Movies, TV, Music, Game Media, The Web, Social Media, Blu Ray player, a robust Arcade Marketplace, with cutting edge full voice and motion control integrated, etc etc etc

expensive.....?

Common people.

Are you using the same console you were using then? With no extra accessories, like an HDD, bought? Is it refurbished, or not?

DesertFox

Yes, pay $300 upfront then whatever the subscription amount is later at certain intervals.

But if MS's current subscription offering is any indicator, it would be 14.99 a month. So total lifetime cost of that console (assuming 14.99 for 2 years plus 299 up front) would be $658. Ouch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What does $300 with sub mean? Is it like the 360 2 year financing thing?
you know how you have to pay additional up front fee on contract because the value of the phone? $300 up front plus tarriff
I wonder if a protection plan is included, or is that a add on

What does $300 with sub mean? Is it like the 360 2 year financing thing?

To put it in perspective the current $99 barebone xbox requires 2 years of 14.99 Xbox Live Gold.

Making it $458.76 barebone console and live for 2 years

For those who don't play online games, that's just a huge rip off.

Also if you pay $299 for a nicer xbox and $59.99 a year for live.

Makes it out to $418.98 for a premium console and live for 2 years (That is if you don't find a deal)

If its 500 I'm assuming its probably more powerful than the ps4

Kinetic is still $100 and you are looking for a more technically advanced and costly Kinetic Device. This has Wii-U written all over it but a camera instead of a tablet.

The Kinetic 2 probably costs $150... I doubt it'll be more powerful. Rumors also suggest that PS4 will be more powerful.

-PXG-

- Always online
- No BC
- Kinect
- $500

Get fucked, MS

It's like they don't want me to buy their console. Okay...fine. I won't. PC + PS4 + Wii U it is.

Spongebob

Banned

expensive.....?

Common people.
It's expensive for a console that is weaker than the PS4 and requires you to be connected to the Internet to use.

500 dollars, i don't mind. Having me pay a subscription plus raise the games' price by killing the used market? MS would lose me there. There's only so much money one can lose willingly.

fallagin

I'm guessing people will see the $300 price, see that you have to subscribe to XBL for x number of years, see it as a good deal because they would get XBL regardless

But they'll probably make it 2yr 15$/month like they did for the 99$ 360, which would be the opposite of a good deal.

WOW! MS have officially lost the plot if they think they can charge $500 for what they are offering. Jesus Christ, the level of arrogance and hubris on display is shocking, far exceeds anything seen by Sony.

WOW!

Bsigg12

Yep.

In the long-run, it'll cost you more.

That's the appeal of this for Microsoft. Make something new "cheap" by making it a subsidized product where they make their money back plus more over the life of the contract you agree to.

It's really a brilliant move for Microsoft. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Sony try it eventually.

$500!! wtf, just wow. I'd be really surprised if that's true. I expect Sony to come in quite a bit cheaper than that. This could turn into a bloodbath if Sony launch 10% to 20% cheaper.

AngryMoth

All this negative buzz is just insane. No way it's intentional misdirection it's doing them too much harm at this point. I guess I just was assuming they'd be able would put together a pretty good package for the next Xbox but all these rumours are making it sound completely unappealing. It's crazy. I still think they will have moneyhatted some megaton 3rd party exclusive that to generate excitement.

neptunes

WOW! MS have officially lost the plot if they think they can charge $500 for what they are offering. Jesus Christ, the level of arrogance and hubris on display is shocking, far exceeds anything seen by Sony.

WOW!

Mind you, none of this (or the rumored specs) are confirmed

But yeah, we have no frame of reference as whether this really is expensive or reasonable.

$500!! wtf, just wow. I'd be really surprised if that's true. I expect Sony to come in quite a bit cheaper than that. This could turn into a bloodbath if Sony launch 10% to 20% cheaper.

YOu are going to be in for a rude awakening. Wouldn't surprise me if they are both $499. This isn't 2006 anymore. Console makers probably think they can get away with a higher price point considering what people spend on cell phones and tablets.

I wonder if Ballmer even had a strategy meeting after the utter disaster that was the Windows 8 and Tablet push?

It was obvious that this year was to see Windows expand in numerous devices and Xbox 8 (or infinity sign bull) conquer the living room. All of the ecosystems feeding into each others digital purchases, apps and what not.

Instead Windows 8 was treated like the pos it is and Windows Surface went flopity flopity flop.
Windows 8 Mobile range had mediocre success with the Lumia (which did well but for a success they basically need all W8 phones selling well); and I question the business sense of the Lumia as MS must have sunk huge marketing costs into a device that doesn't seem well positioned for the 'next generation' sales cycle.

So Xbox Infinity (8) will come out...with the same flawed strategy as these devices, high priced, over dependence on marketing, lack of a target market (Windows 8 is a tablet OS aimed at the desktop market and is a desktop OS aimed at the tablet market, its ridiculous), poor MS branding and revealing.

Yet it also won't be some inter-connected great network; just a muddle of stuff some people own one part of and then are missing Surface or Xbox or the phone of. It'll be just the new Xbox, always online, always Kinect, expensive, lacking compared to the PS4 (we might not see this that visibly tbf - especially at launch), in need of first party revival (Sony aren't in much better shape and should have learned from the PS3/Vita debacles, but MS are in the same position - makes me worry for both PS4/Durango for the first year or so).

This was all a big strategy and tbh; with no rumoured big changes to the Durango...I worry the strategy has not changed to reflect areas of concern. I don't think MS's vision is correct and I don't think they understand the customers buying decision in regards to a lot of tech devices and digital content. It seems flawed and their own devices reflect this at market.

We'll see but I feel MS is aiming Durango at a audience that doesn't actually exist.

--------------------------------------------

$99 360 is actually exciting though and the second SKU does make a lot more sense now.

Bsigg12

500 dollars, i don't mind. Having me pay a subscription plus raise the games' price by killing the used market? MS would lose me there. There's only so much money one can lose willingly.

Why would game prices go up? From what is being said from developers, they will see a small increase in production costs but not nearly what it was from the xbox to the 360 and PS2 to PS3.

Also, if the CEO of Gamestop has been talking to Microsoft and not coming out angry, I think there pretty good chance used games will still be in play. Just no BC, which is expected.

Qassim

I remember thinking that about the PSP, and even more so about the Vita. It's funny how these things work out sometimes. Sony can be pretty good at shitting away sure wins.

Really? I bought a Vita on launch, but even I knew it was going to be a commercial flop. Just looking at the market it was going into it, it was never going to be an easy task for the Vita to get any sort of attention.

Not because of anything Sony really did, but because of the reality: Dedicated handheld gaming isn't particularly mainstream anymore. Especially the kind Sony are good at.

akira28

expensive.....?
Common people.

Right. At least 30% to 40% of us won't be using even 3/4ths of these new options. We only want to play the latest games with the newest gaming improvements. Not waving your hands to configure your special gun in the options menu. I don't even give two fucks about accurately mimicking archery shots or dance steps, and Mickey has been trying to sell us on that for what, 4+ years now? And I certainly don't care about downloading music or watching movies or sending tweets or doing Facebook on my game machine. We want better games and better gaming, and the only revolution in that is coming from a company that isn't Microsoft or Sony, and is compatible with PC gaming too. So again this is them trying to sell us on their "life entertainment device", when all we really want is to play the best games. When that becomes a hassle and an investment instead of a simple choice of "yeah I loved the last sequel of RocketJumperGunner 4, I want to play the next one" and you're considering what you'll be doing 8 years down the line? That's too much of a commitment, and I already have a love/hate relationship with my old Xbox.

If they really wanted to offer me more, they'd do it. What they're doing now is trying to justify this device.

tumblr_mc0u1mvcb91r3tyumo1_250.gif

B.O.O.M

I wonder if Sony got a nice deal on the GDDR5 for them to upgrade. Would help keep the price low. Fingers crossed

Top Bottom