• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Streamer ($99), Xbox TV ($150-$175), Xbox Mini, & Xbox 2017 coming, more

Euron

This Xbox Two/Xbox 2017, is it an upgrade of the Xbox One like the Neo is to the PS4 or is it a new Xbox entirely? The latter wouldn't make any sense at this stage IMO but the wording of all these devices is becoming a bit confusing.

daveo42

Banned
Because nobody has Chromecasts and Roku boxes right?

I'd probably get one depending on a few things and I have a smart TV.

I just don't see consumers going out of their way to buy yet another thing that can stream Netflix/Amazon/Spotify and a host of other services when either their current home console, streaming stick, or TV already does.

Well speaking of myself, I no longer have any of the apps I once used on the PS4 (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, MLB.TV), since my Android TV has all of them, and they run fantastic. I do not want to have an extra box running, when the TV has them on the App Store. Hell, they just added Spotify now, but I won't bother, since I can Bluetooth/NFC from the phone or tablet to the soundbar/wireless sub, and not have to have the TV on at all for music.

I cancelled Playstation Vue for this very reason. I will re-subsribe when they add it to their Android lot.

That was the most depressing thing I saw when my roommate turned on his new 4k tv. No PSVue in the app store yet. That would be the best so I could avoid keeping my PS4 on all the time to watch TV.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd pick up a Xbox Slim for $200 to play the handful of games I want to play that I can't get on Nintendo's platforms, namely Doom and the Jackbox Party Packs.

I just don't see consumers going out of their way to buy yet another thing that can stream Netflix/Amazon/Spotify and a host of other services when either their current home console, streaming stick, or TV already does.

If you're assuming that the gross market for streaming sticks is zero from now until the end of time then you have a point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That was the most depressing thing I saw when my roommate turned on his new 4k tv. No PSVue in the app store yet. That would be the best so I could avoid keeping my PS4 on all the time to watch TV.

They do not have it on Android at all yet sadly. When I cancelled Vue, it was one of the main questions in the 'exit survey'. They just added Playstation Now, and Playstation Video last November to their Android TV sets, so I am hoping it is coming soon to my 4K set as well with better output as a result.

Just Android is fragmented (it it sometimes takes longer on more intensive apps), and they also may be in the process of going through Google Play like HBONow does to handle the subscription service that way the app/sub is registered through said device.

Tntnico

This Xbox Two/Xbox 2017, is it an upgrade of the Xbox One like the Neo is to the PS4 or is it a new Xbox entirely? The latter wouldn't make any sense at this stage IMO but the wording of all these devices is becoming a bit confusing.

Spencer and Yoshida teased it, I think we won't have "entirely new" Xbox or Playstation anymore, it will be new incremental boxes to support innovation (VR is the best exemple)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This seems like the worst possible time for Microsoft to be jumping into the "iterative model" battle. Most people build their PC gaming library through Steam, GoG, etc. PS4 is way ahead on the console end of things. Why jump into a hardware model that is going to cement the advantages that your competition already has over you? Who is going going to abandon their platform specific libraries for what is on offer here? 2011/2012 is when it would have made sense to embrace the "phone strategy" and try to get people locked into an ecosystem.

Gaben & yosp have to cackling right now.

Izuna

Banned
Xbox coming to PC would make me instead build a monster PC instead of a new Xbox. This is actually very, very exciting.

8. MS knows gaming is the "bread-and-butter" for Xbox and will show that at E3 but still want to "attack the living-room" and appeal to cord-cutters. Xbox One is currently too expensive/big for that audience.

Oh god, not this again.

Would be happy to see the xbox interface on PC though. Let me add steam games and use it as a big picture mode launcher and I'd be very happy with it.

With win10 they don't need to push xbox as a Tv brand.

They are probably just announce something very fast and say those new cheap devices give access to whatever they announce.

KingJ2002

Xbox Streamer Makes sense... considering how the Xbox Media ecosystem is one of the best in the market... creating a chromecast / apple tv like device will get people to jump in.

but a Xbox Mini late this year and another Xbox next year.... What. The. Fuck.

makes no sense to do this.

Microsoft coming out with 3 new SKU's in addition to the SKU's already in the marketplace will be confusing as hell.

Hopefully e3 sheds some light on these rumors.

Jesus this is confusing.

So we have
-an xbox streaming stick, chromecast with games thing
-xbox mini which is a miniature version of the current xbox
-an xbox 1.5
-and an all new xbox

what the actual f if this is true.

mcrommert

Banned
People are making too much out of the confusion here...Xbox stick, xbox tv - both for streaming

Xbox mini -xbox one but smaller
And new Xbox - polaris gpu and better cpu

From how it reads, the XStick sounds a lot like PSTV/Vita TV which, uh, didn't pan out so well after at first glance it sounding neat. This would do more, of course, including some sort of at least minor PC integration? Am I missing something huge?

SOR5

It really does seem like too much, but im sure theyll market things accordingly

You got

Fire Tablet
Fire Stick
Fire TV Box
Fire Phone
Kindle Fire

People can differentiate items pretty well (as long as its not thousands) it just depends on whether its appealing or not

SOR5

From how it reads, the XStick sounds a lot like PSTV/Vita TV which, uh, didn't pan out so well after at first glance it sounding neat. This would do more, of course, including some sort of at least minor PC integration? Am I missing something huge?

It will very likely just be a stick that runs Windows store games and apps and supports the Xbone controller

Think Fire TV but

replace Fire OS with Windows 10
replace Amazon store apps with Windows 10 apps

This is kinda fucked up to be honest.

MS releases a new generation in 2017 alongside Nintendo, Sony releases a 0.5 console this year, when will Sony release a new console generation then?

I don't see either MIcrosoft or Nintendo succeeding with this, to be honest.

More & more people are just getting into this generation (& it took quite a while for them to do so, especially in Japan with PS4). Why in the world would they want to immediately pluck down money on newer consoles with newer hardware so soon? Not everyone has the money to do so these days.

And considering that PS4 has been going successful for Sony, I very much doubt that we'll see an entirely new console from them so soon after it just came out onto the market 2 & a half years ago. Why play that game just because Nintendo & Microsoft are doing so, when they can just wait a few years down the road & bring out an entirely brand new console then?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't want this upgraded console to happen.

but neogaf went wild when steambox from valve was first announced, saying it would be the killer of xbox etc and dominate the living room.

the ps4k and xbox 4k etc would essentially transition into the same cycle as a steam machine.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Spencer and Yoshida teased it, I think we won't have "entirely new" Xbox or Playstation anymore, it will be new incremental boxes to support innovation (VR is the best exemple)

Yoshida never said that there wouldn't be big jumps in the future though.

SOR5

There's gonna be so many versions of an XB1 now, Christ.

You got

An xbox branded stick

An Xbone Slim

An Xbone

The Scorpio

So you'll have two official versions of the XB1 overall, plus a mostly unrelated stick with the Xbox brand, and a new console thats very likely going to be rebranded with a different name

I think its alot of different Xbox hardware products coming out around the same time though yeah, but they arent just variants of the XB1

but neogaf went wild when steambox from valve was first announced, saying it would be the killer of xbox etc and dominate the living room.

the ps4k and xbox 4k etc would essentially transition into the same cycle as a steam machine.

This is exactly what I want: iterative hardware but a UI and user experience of a console. I don't want to have to fiddle with drivers, a ton of settings, spotty controller support, etc, but I do want the ability to spend more money to get better performance.

There's gonna be so many versions of an XB1 now, Christ.

stop thinking of them as different things and start thinking of Xbox as a platform just like PC, Android etc.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Can't we merge this thread with the other one? They are both based on the same three insiders right?

Sydle

It will very likely just be a stick that runs Windows store games and apps and supports the Xbone controller

Think Fire TV but

replace Fire OS with Windows 10
replace Amazon store apps with Windows 10 apps

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a game streaming service that could work on those smaller devices as well. They've been working on it since 2012 or so. They actually had Halo 4 streaming to a Windows Phone and playable with a Xbox controller back in 2013. The project (Rio) supposedly got killed and then resurrected again with a new team (Arcadia) in 2014.

SOR5

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a game streaming service that could work on those smaller devices as well. They've been working on it since 2012 or so. They actually had Halo 4 streaming to a Windows Phone and playable with a Xbox controller back in 2013. The project (Rio) supposedly got killed and then resurrected again with a new team (Arcadia) in 2014.

Damn now thats something theyve been mega quiet about

bman94

Damn. I'm not really ready for a new generation in 2017. It feels like this gen is finally getting it's stride. I'm really not looking forward to a new Xbox/PS4 combo until 2019.

To everyone saying this is confusing as fuck, you do realise these are rumours, right?

Of course it's going to be vague and perhaps not make much sense because it's all based off of rumours, hearsay and conjecture. We aren't reading a PR piece from Xbox Wire were reading information written down by people who were listening to a podcast talking about rumours relating to Xbox, lol.

Burt

What's that face when you're throwing all the shit at the wall, but are pretty sure nothing's going to stick?

I am a NeoGAF addict, I stay up on technology and gaming, I am a middle school technology teacher, and this shit is confusing as hell.

I mean, they are having so many Xbox's coming out, most of which aren't even really what you think of when you think "Xbox" at least by the way it sounds. I dont really know what they are thinking, just branding a bunch of new items "Xbox" and throwing it on the market.

The streaming stick is intriguing, but only if it streams your PC and Xbox One games to a seperate TV. Otherwise, I dont know what it could offer that a Roku, Chromecast, or Firestick cannot.

JaggedSac

To everyone saying this is confusing as fuck, you do realise these are rumours, right?

Of course it's going to be vague and perhaps not make much sense because it's all based off of rumours, hearsay and conjecture. We aren't reading a PR piece from Xbox Wire were reading information written down by people who were listening to a podcast talking about rumours relating to Xbox, lol.

Was about to post something similar. I'm sure the presentation will clear things up.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Damn. I'm not really ready for a new generation in 2017. It feels like this gen is finally getting it's stride. I'm really not looking forward to a new Xbox/PS4 combo until 2019.
Good news: most of the game buying market will not be ready either. Late adopters are waiting for price drops on the current hardware, not enhanced versions with the same (or higher) prices.

Max_Po

Banned
Too much XBOX .....LEFT RIGHT AND CENTER...

how about an XBOXOne Slim and an Xbox 1.5 ?... more powerfull and properly designed.... witch could provide improvements to OS/Xbox360 BC?

Sounds like with their Xbox1.5 ... they are copying/playing catch up to SONY as it is still not finalized?

I am ready for e3

So let's see.

Not only do they plan on releasing an upgraded XB1.5, they want to release a new architecture-based VR-console in 2017.

On top of that, Devs are already dealing with the PS4 and PS4k.

Then there's the mystery NX-box, unlike anything we've seen before.

good luck devs!

Top Bottom