• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia Says It Will Host Peace Talks Between Israel and the Palestinians

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea Israel never wants peace is one of the biggest historical lies/revisionism still being accepted in modern day.

They're the only country who even agreed to the 1947 UN plan whereas every other party wanted to wipe them out. How this fact escapes modern journalism 50 years later is beyond me.

I agree with the former the later not as much. Israel has drifted towards an expansionist policy after 67 and especially 73. And the Lukid is extremly fine with the status quo (so is the Fatah for their own preservation but not the palestinian people). There was a bit of drift back in the 90s but the "facts on the ground" have prevented real progress and when Israel isn't willing to do a lot of what it did in Sini then it's not going to get peace

The idea Israel never wants peace is one of the biggest historical lies/revisionism still being accepted in modern day.

They're the only country who even agreed to the 1947 UN plan whereas every other party wanted to wipe them out. How this fact escapes modern journalism 50 years later is beyond me.

Even under Rabin's accords, there were many provisions that were dramatically favorable to one side.

commedieu

Banned

People base it on Israel actions. And bibis declaration, and other Israeli politicians saying as much.

Hardly a debate. Everyone knows Israel doesn't want peace, and peace isn't achieved from any of their actions.

As long as someone can sort it out, honestly don't care who it is - Could be Kim Jong Un of all people.

Doubtful anything will happen though, which is a shame because ultimately I feel for the Palestinians who are portrayed in ads in US subways as "Savages" versus the "civilized man" that is Israel, at the same time I don't condone any extremist actions or terrorism conducted as a result of this conflict, which does happen because sadly the belief that the only way to see change is through force still plays out for many people.

Violet_0

Banned
now look at that, isn't it cute how Russia is trying to imitate America, but with more evil and needlessly invading other countri- ... oh

Israel doesn't really want a two state solution and really really doesn't want a single state solution either. It's all lip service to maintain the status quo.

JordanN

Banned
Even under Rabin's accords, there were many provisions that were dramatically favorable to one side.

Given what Israel's been through (50 years of PLO terror) I honestly can't blame them.

Trying to pressure them into doing more (especially when the difference was just giving up 93% of all territories instead of 100) is just crazy.

Regardless if it actually happens or not, and regardless of Russia just using this as a political stunt one has to realize that this and other events around the world showcases the lack of trust and/or influence US foreign policy now has. France desperately wanted to host the two countries as well seeing as Washington was just carrot teasing over and over again. Plus with all the recent events the average resolution that the US currently has showcased in the world is threats, promises and denounces with out any weight behind it. One of Obama's foreign policy blunders that will forever haunt him is his infamous red line on which he warned but did nothing to prevent large casualties in Syria. His slow movements and lack of actually backing all the sides he hop scotches from (one after the other) has made other countries literally pick up all the damage it has caused. The Syrian opposition even had a meeting in London on where they laid out there future plan and stated that they lost all hope in Obama and even don't trust him seeing as he his utterly useless.

Basically everyone is lacking trust with US leadership. Obama can be good at home but what he did to the ME or lack thereof while empowering one side and another opposite side without actually enforcing law has made as much damage (arguably) as Bushes idiotic actions.

Regardless of which party wins in the US it seems the world has realized how amateurish, ill-logical and unprofessional US foreign policy is.

Given what Israel's been through (50 years of PLO terror) I honestly can't blame them.

Trying to pressure them into doing more (especially when the difference was just giving up 93% of all territories instead of 100) is just crazy.
Oh Booo-goddamn-hoo.

"All they've been through." As if they haven't put the Palestinians through the ringer and back.

knight123

Banned

Can never condone violent acts against civilians (though a lot of what gets labelled terror is legitimate resistance against the Israeli military) but you can't pretend the violence against the Israelis came from nowhere. Israel was founded through the expulsion of two thirds of the Palestinian population and the depopulation of a similar amount of towns and villages. Until this is addressed and the refugees are given justice, the violence will continue.

Xe4

Banned
now look at that, isn't it cute how Russia is trying to imitate America, but with more evil and needlessly invading other countri- ... oh
You do know thst Russia can be a huge asshole for what it does to other countries (Ukraine, Crimea, Syria, etc, etc) and still do good things occasionally, right? Just cause they're doing ok here doesn't mean they do very, very wrong things in other areas of foreign policy.

On topic, I hope it works out , but it probably won't. Not while Israel is run by a psychopath in power purely cause he shit on Palistine.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
We got farther than anyone.

I'd love to see bill doing some diplomacy when hillary is in the white house.

I'm sure he'll be handling lots of negotiations.

clinton_480.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom