• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

What a nutcase.

Major props to the AP photographer that kept doing his job.

WWI / WWIII & nuke codes posts are really embarassing.

While I certainly don't think it will lead to this...

That attitude is ultra dangerous. That leads to us not seeing things coming. (and smarmy to boot)

sazzy

diff angle

fzaixX.png

qcf x2

No but there are a lot of people here who seem to be so worked up and almost acting as if they want it to bring about a world war. It's just not going to happen. If the Turkish government were to have any sort of involvement in this, it would frost relations and there might be some sanctions against them. There won't be bombs being dropped or an invasion.

So it goes when people are used to relative (domestic) peace, it seems. Many are anxiously waiting (consciously or subconsciously) for a war that almost feels overdue.

What a nutcase.

Major props to the AP photographer that kept doing his job.

WWI / WWIII & nuke codes posts are really embarassing.

I'm definitely not defending the assassin as there was absolutely no excuse for cold blooded execution in the eyes of a rational person. However, I think a pertinent snapshot is already forming: A young guy who basically is/was a kid, seeing his friends/family/neighbors (literally) torn apart by foreign intervention and war. This isn't what war does to all people, but it IS what war does to (some) people. Growing up in places like that and seeing foreign flags on the assailants' uniforms/vehicles is what primes a person to become open to terrorist ideology.

What happened to the Russian Ambassador goes against Dipmatic agreement, against Islam, against Human nature,

Yes what is happening in Aleppo is ugly and disgusting but how this will help the poor people of Aleppo and I don't think the Ambassador had a hand in million Syrians.

Do you think the guy who is face down on the left in the last picture posted was hit by a stray? Or more likely just taking cover?

mdubs

Banned
Could people not post pictures of that, please?

No, the pictures are relevant to what is going on here. You are entering into a thread about an assassination - pretty disrespectful to expect the killing of this man to be sanitized for your consumption.

Kolx

Do you think the guy who is face down on the left in the last picture posted was hit by a stray? Or more likely just taking cover?

I think in the video it showed him just shooting the ambassador, so this guy is probably just taking cover.

qcf x2

No, the pictures are relevant to what is going on here. You are entering into a thread about an assassination - pretty disrespectful to expect the killing of this man to be sanitized for your consumption.

Links would be fine and would not alter things in a negative way.

Kathian

Banned
Terrible news. Killing a diplomat achieves nothing. Lack of details just now but the photographs suggest likely a lack of security was an issue?

btrboyev

Could people not post pictures of that, please?

Come on. This is reality, stop pretending this stuff didn't exist. The pictures are not gruesome, though I can understand them being disturbing. But again this is reality. If you don't want to see them, I suggest you leave the thread.

Glix

Terrible news. Killing a diplomat achieves nothing. Lack of details just now but the photographs suggest likely a lack of security was an issue?

It would make sense that the assassin was part of the security detail? He was a cop.

pulsemyne

Latest is that the policeman was off duty and gained access to the area after showing his police card. Major fuck up if true.

Jacob

Fucked up incident.

from what i've read of WW1, after the assassination most people thought nothing big was to come of it.. all sides basically wanted to pull the brakes even amidst the escalation, when troops were being deployed, people still believed that of course there won't be a war, that they're too civilized for it. but then it just kinda happened on it's own momentum and complete madness ensued. didn't matter that no one wanted it.

or am i remembering wrong? was it immediately clear that a huge war was certain?

This is a common misconception. WWI would not have happened if the belligerent parties didn't want to fight each other. The interlocking alliance system was a symptom of tensions in pre-war Europe, not the cause of it. The alliances were officially for defense only, anyway; more countries could have taken the Italian option and refused to join in an aggressive war if they had had the political will to do so.

tci

I guess he was hit in the head, given the blood and how he just fall there lifeless
From the video, all in the back it seems. The body goes into shock when it get shot like that. He probably got hit in the spinal cord with at least 1 bullet. I could count 7 shells in that picture (could hear 9 in the video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom