• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.F. taxi industry in turmoil, might collapse in months, due to Uber/Lyft pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you might have to try it to see the benefit. You bring up your smartphone app and hail a cab, it knows your address from GPS. You see the city map and a bunch of icons showing where the drivers are. Usually a driver agrees to pick you up within a few moments (10-30 seconds). From that point you can can see the car on the map, the driver name, company and cab #, and an estimated arrival time. That arrival time makes it easy to be outside just as the car pulls up.

Once your arrive at your drop-off all you do is leave the cab. Nothing else. No totals and no cash. Just open the door and leave. The app will charge you for the trip.

Do this a few times and you'll never go back to the old methods.

Yeah it's great.

No fumbling around for my wallet, no 25% tips, no swiping my card multiple times before it registers, no trying to hail a cab...

And it's going to become even better soon:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/28/5...eplace-all-its-drivers-with-self-driving-cars

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's pretty much the problem here.

They're not covered by the same regulations as taxis. At this point, I'm not really sure there are ANY transportation regulations governing services like Uber.

Same as with AirBNB and similar services.

Dennis

Banned
Anyone know if Uber or similar service operates in the Jacksonville, Florida and Nashville, Tennessee areas?

Taxi drivers are up in arms in Milan, Italy, as well. They forced the government to ban Uber Pop, and now they're demanding stricter regulations for Uber.

Yep, just wait until they get replaced by driverless cars in 20 years. The traditional taxi cab industry will wish they hadn't fought uber/lyft so hard and refused to accommodate.

I live in a smaller city (185,000) and neither services are available. I wish they were because 10 years ago for inexplicable reasons my cell phone number got banned by one of the 2 local cab companies, Red Cab. I have no idea why because I'm always really nice and tip really well. I think it was because I asked the cab to pick me up at a corner and the dispatcher yelled at me and hung up (apparently, where I live, cab drivers aren't allowed to pick someone up at "The corner of Main St and Union St"...?). So I called back and gave him the actual address (1150 Main), and he yelled at me again for calling back. That was like 2003 and I haven't been able to reliably hail a cab since.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
More expensive?

That sounds nuts to me. Why not just hail a regular cab or order when to come at specified location and time.

Austin's taxi companies have to be among the worst in the United States. During events in the city or half the time on Friday and Saturday nights, they turn off their phone lines because they're so far below the threshold of being able to handle demand. They don't put you on hold, they just don't bother at all. Even when ridiculous things like that aren't happening, all the taxi drivers are insanely unprofessional burnouts who have no idea where they're going and usually don't have GPS, so you end up backseat driving for them in between them trying to sell you drugs or telling you how they ate their cat.

The horrible taxi situation, coupled with non-existent public transit, means everyone ends up driving drunk and getting DUIs (and harming themselves/others) down here.

Lyft just launched here this weekend, actually. The city is trying to fight it by impounding Lyft vehicles since they're identifiable by the pink mustache. Lyft is paying the legal fees for the drivers and ignoring that they're operating illegally, because demand is so high and the laws are archaic.

hoos30

Sucks for you if you don't have a smartphone or a credit card, but then again, why would you be living in S.F.?

Damaniel

Banned
Good. Uber is a much better service.

No choice in my city (Portland) - the regulations are so tight and the taxi industry has applied so much pressure that Uber isn't allowed to provide service here. And apparently there's only a few hundred (~400) licensed cabs in the entire city, so good luck if you need one on a Friday or Saturday night.

In my opinion, if the established 'big guys' are whining and threatening to sue, then the little guy is doing something right. Rather than adapt and act more like Uber, cab companies just want things to be the way they've always been, with rude (phone-based) dispatchers, pricing that's about as transparent as a concrete block, and long wait times that only ever get longer. They'll either adapt or lose - and at this point, I'm rooting for lose.

(EviLore - funny that Austin and Portland, both cities known for otherwise being pretty tech savvy and progressive, are so damn backwards in this one regard. Of course, the people here - and presumably there - want the service, the cities just won't let us have them.)

see5harp

No choice in my city (Portland) - the regulations are so tight and the taxi industry has applied so much pressure that Uber isn't allowed to provide service here. And apparently there's only a few hundred (~400) licensed cabs in the entire city, so good luck if you need one on a Friday or Saturday night.

In my opinion, if the established 'big guys' are whining and threatening to sue, then the little guy is doing something right. Rather than adapt and act more like Uber, cab companies just want things to be the way they've always been, with rude (phone-based) dispatchers, pricing that's about as transparent as a concrete block, and long wait times that only ever get longer. They'll either adapt or lose - and at this point, I'm rooting for lose.

That sucks. To be specific, I'm talking about Uber X, especially when you've got 2 or 3 people to share the ride. It's infintely cleaner, cheaper, and nicer since payment is handled through the app. I've never actually paid for the towncar or the SUV, since that's pretty expensive.

Squalor

They're definitely charging a fee. And I always tip.
Regardless of that, it's always been cheaper than the going rates. If it weren't, the app wouldn't be so popular.

You're getting ripped off. Uber drivers are strictly forbidden to take tips. It's in their contracts.

Those in power will always be this way, forever. But they can't stop change indefinitely, it'll come and if they don't adapt they WILL lose.

Zoe

Lyft just launched here this weekend, actually. The city is trying to fight it by impounding Lyft vehicles since they're identifiable by the pink mustache. Lyft is paying the legal fees for the drivers and ignoring that they're operating illegally, because demand is so high and the laws are archaic.
They didn't impound them all--just the ones who are blatantly breaking regulation like accepting cash directly. And the guy who didn't even have a valid license.

Mesoian

I've had two bad experiences with Uber, once when it was taking me home from a bar, and rather than taking a bridge and risking a toll on the return trip, he went all away the charles through 3 other towns and, had I not woken up, would have ended up in south boston. He probably had the GPS set to avoid tolls, but it resulted in a 60 dollar bill for something that should have been 15.

The second time, I took an Uber to PAXEast to handle our luggage for cosplay stuff. He did super well, avoiding a ton of traffic for the con and almost got there well ahead of schedule, but at the last minute, he, for reasons that make no sense to me, made a dumb turn at the very end, putting us back into the traffic and resulted in us having to wait 40 minutes to get to the con center. We eventually threw up our hands and got out and walked our stuff 200 yards to the con center.

When it comes to drivers, Uber has shown me, at least, that their employees are often far less qualified to be driving around than the regular cabs. Uber isn't some magic bullet solution, it's totally possible to have awful experiences with them.

Haven't tried Lyft yet.

btrboyev

I spent a week in April in San Fran and used Uber, Lift and Sidecar without paying a nickel. I took advantage of all the promos and free credits they offer when you share with friends. It was awesome.

Uber is more expensive though.

Helllllllllllllll no.

Cab rides that used to cost me $20 (without tips!!) cost me like $8-$10 now. And I can split it with my girlfriend/friends with ease. Did I mention no tipping? Also, payment is done via my card, so no fumbling with bills. Cab drivers look at you like the goddamn devil if you even think about handing them a card.

So again, no.

Sorry cab drivers, but how stupid could your industry leaders be to not see this coming. I can't believe just a year ago I was still calling a dispatch, waiting cluelessly for where and when my cab would arrive. It's a generational leap for an industry.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm a bit surprised that the only advantage Uber seems to have is based around their app. There was a small to do a couple months back over some stories about how local ordinances don't allow for any more taxi providers and services like Uber couldn't come here, I assumed it was cheaper or had something significant to offer. Yellow Cab here has an app that calls a cab to your GPS location though, I very rarely use any taxi but I had a cab meet me within a few minutes each time I've used the app.

edit: Since I hit reply and started typing, a few people have made claims that Uber is better on prices. That would explain a lot, but weird to see conflicting information. Do people just not realize how damned expensive a taxi can be and assume Uber is priced the same?

Also didn't see Evilore's reply at first, apparently Lyft is just ignoring the legal consequences. That's swell. I'm all for trying to improve the godawful transportation system in this city.

krae_man

Oh man I remember trying to call a cab after a Show at the Igloo in Pittsburgh and the cab companies completely ignoring me. I was standing outside the arena for like 2 hours constantly calling a cab being ignored until my cellphone died. Eventually I walked back to the loading dock and asked one of the workers unloading the show for help and they called some Classy Cabs or something where the driver wears a suit and tie and it cost me $60 to get back to my hotel.

Man I was pissed that night.

Regardless of that, it's always been cheaper than the going rates. If it weren't, the app wouldn't be so popular.

You're getting ripped off. Uber drivers are strictly forbidden to take tips. It's in their contracts.
You're talking about Uber X I take it? Not using traditional cabs through these apps?

I'll give it a shot over the next few days and see how it goes.

When it comes to drivers, Uber has shown me, at least, that their employees are often far less qualified to be driving around than the regular cabs. Uber isn't some magic bullet solution, it's totally possible to have awful experiences with them.
That was my initial experience too, but it was a while ago. The drivers were fucking clueless, and flaky.

Dazzler

Used Lyft for the first time ever in Seattle a few weeks back

Asked the driver how much he was making, he works four 12-hour days per week and claimed if he kept going at his current rate he'd clear $100,000 for the year

The service was fantastic, not having to tip was fantastic (Really hate being expected to tib cab drivers), all in all, it's easy to see why people prefer it to traditional Cabs

AndyD

aka andydumi
Excellent, excellent.

I definitely see them here in Nashville. I work downtown and I see their cars rolling by regularly.

My question is if anyone has a rough price comparison and whether Uber/Lyft drivers are restricted from working too much (hours/distance).

what are uber prices like in the NYC area?

For the cheapest (Uber X):

$6 base fare
And beyond that, it's $0.75 per minute (under 11 mph) or $3 per mile (above 11 mph).
The minimum fare is $12.

So for example:

Columbus Circle to Grand Central Station:

Initial Fare: $6.00
Add. Metered Fare: $7.09
Estimated Taxi Fare: $13.09

Compare to NYC taxi cabs:

$2.50 base fare
$0.50 per minute (under 6 mph) or $0.50 per 1/5 mile (above 6 mph)
+ 20% to 25% tips
+ Surcharges

For example:

Columbus Circle to Grand Central Station:

Initial Fare: $2.50
Add. Metered Fare: $5.46
NY State Tax Surcharge: $0.50
Tip (20%): $1.69
Estimated Taxi Fare: $10.15
*Additional charges may apply.

Here is another example. This time, we're going from Harlem 125th St. Metro North Station to Grand Central Terminal.

Uber X fares:

Initial Fare: $6.00
Add. Metered Fare: $18.38
Estimated Taxi Fare: $24.38

Conventional taxi fares:

Initial Fares: $2.50
Add. Metered Fare: $14.93
NY State Tax Surcharge: $0.50
Tip (20%): $3.59
Estimated Taxi Fare: $21.52
*Additional charges may apply.

So really, Uber X is only slightly more expensive than what you would pay with a taxi in NYC...but it's much more convenient.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm a bit surprised that the only advantage Uber seems to have is based around their app. There was a small to do a couple months back over some stories about how local ordinances don't allow for any more taxi providers and services like Uber couldn't come here, I assumed it was cheaper or had something significant to offer. Yellow Cab here has an app that calls a cab to your GPS location though, I very rarely use any taxi but I had a cab meet me within a few minutes each time I've used the app.

edit: Since I hit reply and started typing, a few people have made claims that Uber is better on prices. That would explain a lot, but weird to see conflicting information. Do people just not realize how damned expensive a taxi can be and assume Uber is priced the same?

The whole 'not having to worry about having enough cash or your card on you' thing is pretty useful too - they just bill the card you have on file with them. Whether Uber is cheaper or not at any time really depends on where you are, but sometimes, convenience trumps price. Dispatching to your location (without having to know exactly where that location is), and knowing where they are while you wait are nice too.

Hell, if the taxi companies just set up the billing and dispatch features of Uber, they'd probably stem the tide somewhat. Wouldn't stop the tip shakedown from the cabbies, though.

Fuchsdh

is it an even playing field or are the new guys ducking regulation the taxi industry face because of how they operate?
Can't it be both? Uber and Lyft are disrupting the industry because they offer in many cases a far better alternative and solve some of the problems with cabs. On the other hand they're also benefiting from loopholes to dodge responsibility that cabbies have.

Good. Many cab drivers alre already defecting and driving for lyft and uber now, and they are better for it. It's amazing what a few stars can do.

Hopefully, they do it to DC too. Hands down, Dc cabs are the worse. They will take advantage of you if you let them. Hell, they will take advantage of you even if you don't let them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The Transport for London are going bananas over Uber.

Action has been started by Transport for London (TfL) to secure a High Court ruling on the legality of an app which calculates the costs of taxi journeys.

TfL wants to know whether using GPS to calculate fares complies with laws which state only black cabs can have meters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27674773

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Used Lyft for the first time ever in Seattle a few weeks back

Asked the driver how much he was making, he works four 12-hour days per week and claimed if he kept going at his current rate he'd clear $100,000 for the year

The service was fantastic, not having to tip was fantastic (Really hate being expected to tip crab drivers), all in all, it's easy to see why people prefer it to traditional Cabs

Strange. Uber was recently introduced here in Belgium and one of the main complaints was that it offered their drivers such subpar wages they barely cover their expenses and don't provide any benefits. 12 hour days are a bit much though and the demand here probably isn't high enough yet to guarantee many hours per drivers. Still, I can see how among fears of drivers not being medically screened and other concerns there is a fear that these types of jobs might erode existing ones. I'm all for flexible labor and increased competition in whatever domain, but I do think it could easily be used as a wage-depressing mechanism that mostly benefits employers rather than employees.

Loofy

I cant see uber being allowed/legal in canada.. Unless the government wants to refund all the cab drivers their $200k taxi licenses.

Cat Party

With Uber and similar services, who pays when their drivers hurt or kill people? Is there any remedy if one of their drivers discriminates against a fare?

I don't have much experience with either, but in my limited experience and in talking to others that use it in SF, it is a few dollars more expensive typically, but you know the cost right up front and payment is super easy.

Uber X is cheaper.

uber has different levels of service. The Uber black car, which is what started the whole thing and typically alot mor eexpensive than regular cab but nicer. Then Uber SUV, which is pricer than the black car, then there is uber X, which is a lyft copy cat. Lyft is the one that started pricing out the taxi cab companies as they are typically 20 percent cheaper, and tip is already included in the price. In cities where Uber x and lyft are intesnely competing, the price can be as much as 50% cheaper than a cab, like in LA for example.

Couldn't they just start driving for Uber then?

Or are the Uber drivers paid less, part-timers or something?

This is already happening, and even the cab drivers themselves prefer driving for uber and lyft than the cab companies.

Patryn

I appreciate Uber in Boston because while by law the taxis have to take credit cards, if you attempt to do so the driver will treat you like the worst fucking human being in the world if not outright lie and claim that their machine is broken.

Also, back when I lived in Southie for a while when I'd call for a cab I'd wait for up to 45 minutes for it show up. Uber shows up within 10 minutes.

SRG01

There's one thing that has been overlooked, I think: Uber is much safer for cabbies because the system sets up the client and payment already. There are a lot of horror stories of cabbies being assaulted or passengers bailing in my city...

Edit: cabbies should move onto Uber by themselves instead of staying with the cab company...

Timbuktu

The lawyers and the regulators need to get to work quick. You can't deny progress, hopefully a city somewhere will find the right balance and the rest will follow suit.

Edit: btw how does this work for tourists. Are you screwed if your phone dies?

GuyKazama

Getting a taxi in SF is hit or miss, and the drivers are awful. I used Uber for 6 months to commute to work (abt 2 miles) both ways in SF after getting rid of my car.

The price to keep my car parked in my apt lot ($250/mo) and park at the office ($15/day) was actually higher than using Uber's black car service for the same period, and the wait was never more than a couple of minutes.

dionysus

Yaldog
Can't it be both? Uber and Lyft are disrupting the industry because they offer in many cases a far better alternative and solve some of the problems with cabs. On the other hand they're also benefiting from loopholes to dodge responsibility that cabbies have.

A lot of the regulations on cabs is probably regulatory capture designed to prevent competition. The established players can pay the cost and pass it on to customers, new players can't afford the costs cause they have no existing customer base. For example licensing is a common source of this type of corruption, making the issuing of a new cab license extremely expensive.

I am all for Uber and Lyft complying with the regulations that benefit the consumer and ensure public safety, but I'd bet most of them don't.

I find a call easier than an "app" myself.
Considering all cabs around me take debit/credit, I just don't really see the advantage over what's been available for a decade or more.

I think you're trying real hard to brush off the conveniences here. I'm telling you this as someone who has had no choice but to take 60+ cab rides in the two years.

Taking a cab
-Calling dispatch, being put hold almost always
-They finally answer, need to reconfirm it is my number.
-They ask if I'm at the last address I called from. Usually not the case, need to tell them my current address and pray they heard it correctly.
-I'm told they'll arrive in 5 to 15 minutes. This is a crapshoot and 50% of the time I'm waiting beyond the 15 minute estimate.
-On occasion cabs can't find me or just straight up flake. This is rare.
-Prices on the meter vary wildly, even under the same services.
-They have insisted and even flat out refused my cards despite having a fucking reader sitting right in the back seat because they wanted cash instead. So I have to have an inordinate amount of 1$'s, $5's, 10$'s and 20$'s on hand just to be prepared for whatever absurd price they're about to charge me.

Taking Uber
-Pull up app.
-Hit GPS icon to where it is *exactly* I want to be picked up.
-Hit the "request car" button.
-Get exact minute estimate for their arrival, on top of being able to see their GPS location as they arrive. Also get a ping when they are in close vicinity.
-Get picked up, get dropped off. End of story. No tips, no bills.

Bonus Uber
-You can rate drivers.
-You can call (directly!) at any time
-You can text them if you prefer
-You can split fare with anyone in your contacts who also has the app with so much ease it's ridiculous.

Trust me, as someone who has dealt with cab drivers shit, even on their best days, uber is a godsend. I literally don't know how I lived without it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

This is pretty much how I stand on it currently.

Besides NY taxis, most every other city taxis are awful experiences. And it's the worst kind of industry because it always tries to stifle competition rather than innovate.

If the DC cab industry died, I wouldn't at all mind. They are a bunch of crooks. I refuse to give them any money now that Uber and Uber X are here.

Syriel

Can't you do that anyway?

I mean, I know in busy cities the image is of flagging a cab down on the side of the road, but, around here, if I want a cab, I call up a number, arrange a date and time, and it will arrive when I requested, calling when they're there - and that's nothing new, it's been that way for at least 15 years.

You can do that in SF. Except there's a good chance that the cab will never come, the dispatcher can't tell you where your cab is at and if you call back 20-30 minutes later asking where your car is, they "don't know" and just send another car.

Basically, before Uber, if you wanted a taxi in SF, you had to call 3-4 different companies and just hope that one of them would actually show up.

I have mixed feeling: on the one hand the taxi industry has sucked for years. You ever try to call a cab? Good luck.

On the other: better have a smartphone. This is going to be bad for folks who aren't tech savvy, or can't afford a smartphone, or even just if you are out and your phone battery dies.

Smartphones are super common in SF. Silly as it may seem to those outside the City, there are even homeless service apps because Android smartphones are cheap and between promo service plans (and subsidized service plans for those who qualify) they're more or less everywhere. Yes, smartphones are even common among SF homeless.

I find a call easier than an "app" myself.

Considering all cabs around me take debit/credit, I just don't really see the advantage over what's been available for a decade or more.

All cabs in SF are supposed to take debit/credit.

A shocking number of them will lie to you and say they can't take them.

I've had SF cab drivers (illegally) mind you refuse to transport me because they didn't want to take a credit card. This is not a uncommon thing.

More expensive?

That sounds nuts to me. Why not just hail a regular cab or order when to come at specified location and time.

Uber Black Car is more expensive.

UberX and Uber Taxi are LESS expensive and MORE reliable.

Good, taxis here in San Francisco are awful.

QFT

Couldn't they just start driving for Uber then?

Or are the Uber drivers paid less, part-timers or something?

That's part of the problem that the taxi companies are complaining about. For so long in SF they flat out refused to put more cars on the road (artificially creating a shortage of taxis) that there was a pent up demand for taxi service that worked.

Now that Uber is here, cheaper and reliable, Uber drivers are making more money, so taxi drivers are defecting. With Uber they're charging less per trip, but are not being forced to pay for "gate fees" and "company tips," and the utilization rate on their time is way up. Net result, is more money in the driver's pocket because they're not just sitting around half the day waiting for a fare to walk out of a hotel.

Anyone know if Uber or similar service operates in the Jacksonville, Florida and Nashville, Tennessee areas?

Don't know about Jacksonville, but when I was in Orlando/Tampa a month ago the Uber app said that they weren't allowed to offer service in FL due to legislature rules that prohibited making a car reservation less than an hour in advance.

Who would have thought that Florida's Republican leadership would be pro big government? ;)

Also didn't see Evilore's reply at first, apparently Lyft is just ignoring the legal consequences. That's swell. I'm all for trying to improve the godawful transportation system in this city.

Uber is:
1) Cheaper (can easily be half the price of a taxi)
2) More reliable than a taxi
3) Shows you where your car is (and when it will arrive)
4) Convenient (everything is in one fare and it is autocharged to your CC)

All the UberX cars I've been in have been cleaner and better maintained than taxis as well. Uber Black Car is basically towncar service so that will be more expensive.

Uber is > taxi (at least here in the SF Bay Area) for a number of quantifiable reasons. It's not "just the app."

bjork

I'd like Uber a lot more if any of their drivers knew where the hell they were going. If they're not using their GPS, they need directions every step of the way.

I was in San Jose last year for a concert. I took a taxi from the train station to the Shoreline Amphitheater, and the guy didn't know where that was. Regular taxi guy. But his GPS was like those newspapers in the Flintstones, completely non-functional. $46.

On the way back, I used Uber, and the guy didn't know where the train station was. He knew exactly where the building is where the Sharks play, but not the train station... which you can see from the Sharks building. He got me lost and finally stopped charging my fare when it hit $60 and we'd been driving for way too long.

I think there's probably bad and good cases on both sides. That just wasn't my lucky day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom