• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Gear VR : Consumer Edition Thread: Goodbye, real world.

YuShtink

My order from T-Mobile still hasn't shipped, so I bought one on Amazon too.

First to ship doesn't get canceled.

For science!

Is there a proper way to shut down the system when you're done with it, from the headset? Or put it to sleep? I've just been taking the headset off and charging it but I don't know if that's the right way to go. I never use the phone for anything else.

hey dumb question..

does netflix on gear VR look as bad as it does here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VB_mioO4c

by bad I mean the terrible resolution and terrible frame rate? cannot be, right. So its some problem with mirroring a VR experience to youtube?

Ok so what is the actual resolution of an HD netflix VR movie while watching it "in a VR theatre"? is it the same as lying on a beanbag 6 foot from a 1080p 50" screen? or do various things conspire to make the picture worse than that?

hey dumb question..

by bad I mean the terrible resolution and terrible frame rate? cannot be, right. So its some problem with mirroring a VR experience to youtube?

Ok so what is the actual resolution of an HD netflix VR movie while watching it "in a VR theatre"? is it the same as lying on a beanbag 6 foot from a 1080p 50" screen? or do various things conspire to make the picture worse than that?

Think the estimate I've heard is it's on par with 480p, vimeo videos look better than that to me in the cinema, but I'd say Netflix is probably closer to looking 480. I can easily watch content in both without feeling like it's a big deal but I can see how some would be turned off.

Linkup

hey dumb question..

That netflix footage looks like it came out of 90s VR. No it's nothing like that.

newsguy

Quick question. I had read somewhere in this thread that because of some t-mobile deal, brick and mortar stores wouldn't sell the gear till Wednesday. Does this still stand? I'd love to walk into a BB tomorrow and pick one up but it seems like it's out of stock everywhere

Kyne

Quick question. I had read somewhere in this thread that because of some t-mobile deal, brick and mortar stores wouldn't sell the gear till Wednesday. Does this still stand? I'd love to walk into a BB tomorrow and pick one up but it seems like it's out of stock everywhere

The only place that's been announced to have physical copies of this thing is T-Mobile, and that's on the 27th.

Not at all. The framerate was perfectly smooth for me, and the resolution was good enough that I'll watch stuff using Gear VR over just my phone sometimes. I was in bed a couple of nights ago and watched an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on it. It was like I watching it on a giant television screen. I didn't have to bother holding my phone up to my face or anything; I could just sit back and relax. The image isn't as clear as it would be watching it on my phone outside of the Gear VR due to the screen door effect, but it was good enough to where I would have no problem regularly watching shows on it.

Not at all. The framerate was perfectly smooth for me, and the resolution was good enough that I'll watch stuff using Gear VR over just my phone sometimes. I was in bed a couple of nights ago and watched an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on it. It was like I watching it on a giant television screen. I didn't have to bother holding my phone up to my face or anything; I could just sit back and relax. The image isn't as clear as it would be watching it on my phone outside of the Gear VR due to the screen door effect, but it was good enough to where I would have no problem regularly watching shows on it.
Yeah. I watched an episode of the almighty Johnsons last night on mine. It definitely looks better quality than 480p and using the void theatre let me lie back and stick the screen up near the ceiling. Yes, watching on a tablet would net me 1080p but I never bother because it's kind of a faff propping up the tablet and keeping it somewhere comfortable.

The comfort of lying fully back and watching netflix was amazing. It's definitely the best way to watch stuff in bed I've come across yet.

Gumbie

Installed StreamTheater on my Gear VR last night and proceeded to watch Monday Night Football through my Gear VR streamed from a capture device - desktop pc - gear vr. It was pretty amazing.

vermadas

Someone in the Gear VR subreddit spotted something interesting in the featured app mosaic on the Korean Samsung site:

http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/mobile-tablet/gear/gear-series/SM-R322NZWAKOO

VR Internet

And unrelated, there is also this new app on the Play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intugame.gearvr

Don't know how they got around the signing, and whether or not it actually uses the advanced IMUs in the headset or just the phone. Either way, this seems like a bad idea to me. The amount of latency would result in an unpleasant experience at best, and a trip to vomit town at worst.

I can't tell you how excited I am for this. I'll definitely be picking up a serious VR headset, but this is fantastic that this came out for phones. It'll give me a great taste for what is ahead. Virtual reality has basically been my life for the past few years, it has really taken over my interests for video games.

I would do it. iPhone is really lacking in terms of innovation. The S6 is a powerful phone as its self, I would highly recommend it.

Easier said than done. For example, my phone can interface with my car. I can skip tracks using console buttons (as well as holding the volume buttons on the phone itself, if I want). My car also displays song names. With jailbreak tweaks, there are a ton of little usability options I'm not sure I would get back on Android.

And unrelated, there is also this new app on the Play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intugame.gearvr

Don't know how they got around the signing, and whether or not it actually uses the advanced IMUs in the headset or just the phone. Either way, this seems like a bad idea to me. The amount of latency would result in an unpleasant experience at best, and a trip to vomit town at worst.
Whoa, that's kinda cool even if it isn't an optimal experience. Think I might try it when I get home (assuming it works with the Note 4 Gear VR).

My dream vr device would be a Gear VR that offered mobile vr support through your phone, but could also plug into a desktop PC for full Vice or Oculus support.

Shoyz

Wow, did the note4 edition jump in price alongside the sold out consumer version or is it because its discontinued? I was disappointed in my purchase when I saw it down to 100 a bit ago.

Where do I read about the upcoming Gear Vr game HORROR MAZE?

(Id suggest the iphone guy to buy a demo unit phone)

I hope the intugame app works well enough when tethered, I was hoping something like it existed for trying old Oculus demos (windlands)

I wouldn't for this alone. I'm too invested in Apple's platform. The content isn't there yet for you to feel urged into jumping in this early. I'm done with Android, last Android phone was the Nexus 5.

So maybe you're not the best one to comment :p

Wow, did the note4 edition jump in price alongside the sold out consumer version or is it because its discontinued? I was disappointed in my purchase when I saw it down to 100 a bit ago.

Where do I read about the upcoming Gear Vr game HORROR MAZE?

(Id suggest the iphone guy to buy a demo unit phone)

I hope the intugame app works well enough when tethered, I was hoping something like it existed for trying old Oculus demos (windlands)

The s6 innovator was the one that went down $100, think the note 4 one never changed price.

Heads up for an amazing deal:

If you activate Samsung Pay on your phone, it gets you $99 to spend on the Samsung web store in December.

Yes, that's exactly enough to get the Gear VR for free:

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-p...7764&CID=eml-nahq-mul-1115-1029-DYNAMIC#promo

Make sure to activate it first, then submit the Offer Claim form.

This would be wonderful if this could be applied to the apps in the gear Samsung store. Tons of free games!

Ferrio

Banned
Delayed due to weather :|

So they lied, came in.

Very brief initial comments

-The small FoV is disappointing, knew it was smaller than the DK1 but still sad to see.
-The UI and setup was slick, very consumer friendly
-My S6 kept heating up, and the gear kept complaining. This was only after the Jurassic park demo. A little worrysome that it heats up quickly which then degrades performance (or so the constant popup kept saying)
-The netflix app while lower resolution was perfectly watchable.
-Eve gunjack was a little disappointing. Feels more like you're cyclops with how much you press the side of your head.

Zaptruder

Banned
So they lied, came in.

-The small FoV is disappointing, knew it was smaller than the DK1 but still sad to see.
-My S6 kept heating up, and the gear kept complaining. This was only after the Jurassic park demo. A little worrysome that it heats up quickly which then degrades performance (or so the constant popup kept saying)
-Eve gunjack was a little disappointing. Feels more like you're cyclops with how much you press the side of your head.

Have you used VR extensively before this? If not, just wondering what your initial impressions on VR/presence and immersion is.

Also keep us updated once you've played with it more.

Kyne

So they lied, came in.

so, mine doesn't really get the heat up message EXCEPT whenever I run that damn JP demo.

go figure.

Ferrio

Banned
Have you used VR extensively before this? If not, just wondering what your initial impressions on VR/presence and immersion is.

Also keep us updated once you've played with it more.

Had a DK1 and I'm all aboard. Really I have no major issues with it so far except that heat up message. And if Kyne is correct I shouldn't have any more unless I boot up that JP demo.

Man

Regarding S6 vs Note 5 (both have same performance, innards), from John Carmack himself: Note 5 gives slightly better FOV and thermal surface (stays cool for longer).

jon_dojah

Banned
-My S6 kept heating up, and the gear kept complaining. This was only after the Jurassic park demo. A little worrysome that it heats up quickly which then degrades performance (or so the constant popup kept saying).

The only times my S6 got the overheat message was trying to run Jurassic World and Kurious twice in a row without letting it cooldown between. No other apps have had that issue.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay does the social app not allow you to watch any twitch channel? It just has a selection of a group of people I never watch. If so that really really sucks.

edit: figured it out

edit: Twitch theater is too cool, need to do this on bob ross monday.

Okay does the social app not allow you to watch any twitch channel? It just has a selection of a group of people I never watch. If so that really really sucks.

Have you figured out if There's a way to search on Vimeo?

So they lied, came in.

The biggest factor for me with over heating has been if things are downloading in the background.

Mordeccai

I got mine earlier today, I have a few questions.

I can't get the VR to fully focus. The image I get is never 100% clear no matter what I do with the wheel on top of the headset. Is there any other trick I can do to adjust the focus?

And, I spent an hour watching Netflix, but could very noticeably see pixels. It was like there was a filter of pixels on over the goggles. Almost like there is a screen protector applied or something. And any characters of scenes in the background of the Netflix app were quite blurry and pixelated, whereas stuff in the foreground looked like plain 480p content. Does anybody else notice this?

Sinoox

Banned
I got mine earlier today, I have a few questions.

I can't get the VR to fully focus. The image I get is never 100% clear no matter what I do with the wheel on top of the headset. Is there any other trick I can do to adjust the focus?

And, I spent an hour watching Netflix, but could very noticeably see pixels. It was like there was a filter of pixels on over the goggles. Almost like there is a screen protector applied or something. And any characters of scenes in the background of the Netflix app were quite blurry and pixelated, whereas stuff in the foreground looked like plain 480p content. Does anybody else notice this?

There is a sweet spot with the lenses. Make sure the headset is adjusted accordingly and strapped tightly to your face so it doesn't move around. If you're still noticing blur it's probably the edges of the lenses or they're unclean.

The screen door effect is very noticeable, but for me it just took a little bit of time and my brain tuned it out. There are certainly limitations to this product, but I still have to say that VR is really enticing. I can't wait to see what becomes of this technology.

Also!! Everybody download an app called "package disabler" from the Playstore to bypass the Oculus Home. There's a lot of nifty things to do outside of it.

No, but didn't try to look since I never use Vimeo really.

Also some of the avatars are creepy. Had a fox and a bear guy staring at me, just looked wrong. Probably a furry's dream come true though.

No I feel ya on the weirdness factor of the avatars, it's like I'm interacting with Ted or something. Would be nice to see a branch off of Social with more realistic human avatars at some point.

Kyne

how did you figure it out? I've been wanting to watch my own Twitch channels.. not the one it provides.

damn. We got a GRAVITY game up in here.

Ferrio

Banned
how did you figure it out? I've been wanting to watch my own Twitch channels.. not the one it provides.

You need to go to Oculus videos section. Choose twitch, and it has an option to log in. Once you log in now theater will show any channels you follow.

Bunch of new apps just went up on the store, quoting from reddit:

A shitload (excuse my french) of apps were just released in the store.
Mini VR Films Free
VRIB: the Best images online $2.99
House of Languages Free
Into The Dead $8.99
Waddle Home $4.99
Audio Arena $4.99
VRAsteroids $2.99
JauntVR Free
Edit: They released even more, now also Jake and Tess Finding Monsters: Free -> only for a short while, will be $7.99 soon again
Geez i need more storage #firstworldgearvr_problems

Made sure to snag that Jake and Tess one that's free right now.

sun-drop

thanks mate.

hey just a comment resolution ... its odd ... i mean the screen is plenty sharpe enough Imo, you can see that in the oculus menus etc ... but what is up with VR video content out there at the mo. is it s case of shitty cam hardware or streaming demands?

some VR video content is pretty good, some is horribly low rez

is there a good source of HQ 360 streams ... i mean even the oculus video/360 content could be way sharper in regards to the res..

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Dev of Into the Dead for Gear VR checking in.

If you have any feedback or issues with the game, be sure to reach out and I'll get that info back to the team.

Have seen mostly good feedback on Reddit so far which is encouraging :)

Top Bottom