• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics Collection hitting retail in North America (April 26th, $29.99)

Yukinari

Could we possibly get Dynamite Headdy, Decap Attack and ToeJam&Earl as 3D classics? They would be huge additions to a collection for me personally.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Come to think of it, I wonder if this release will include the customer questionnaire like the JP releases have...

Could we possibly get Dynamite Headdy, Decap Attack and ToeJam&Earl as 3D classics? They would be huge additions to a collection for me personally.

Headdy's the most likely of the three but even that game seems like a longshot.

It would be incredible if they released a box to put all three in alongside the third one, like the Namco Museum and Famicom Mini series boxes.

Indeed! I think they released a binder for the Sega Ages PS2 games, didn't they?

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather have Puyo Puyo Tetris, which doesn't already have an overseas release.

Buy any of the five billion Tetris games already released and wait for news on the likely 25th Anniversary Puyo game. Very slim chances of getting PPT at this point and it's a massive feature downgrade from the Anniversary games anyway.

Espiox

Buy any of the five billion Tetris games already released and wait for news on the likely 25th Anniversary Puyo game. Very slim chances of getting PPT at this point and it's a massive feature downgrade from the Anniversary games anyway.

Well, that and Sega couldn't release PPT here even if they wanted to.

Also: PPT is great! The mashup modes are beautiful madness.

joedick

I still think bringing over the second compilation first was an error in judgement. Seriously, look at what's on the first compilation and tell me that wouldn't be more appealing to non-hardcore Sega fans:

tHTrszv.jpg

My guess is that they wanted to go with the one that has Sonic. I know that sounds lame, but if it's true I guess I can't blame them. Just going by the number of ratings, it seems the Sonic games sold better than the others, if I recall correctly. Fingers are crossed we eventually get Vol 1!

Wow, I can't believe this thread has 600+ replies! That's pretty crazy. I like Puyo Puyo a bit, so that would be the selling point for this. And I only have Fantasy Zone 1, but found that game pretty hard.

Yeah, more altered beast. I love playing trash.

Seriously, why is Sega so proud of this fucking crap game?

That's what I wonder too. So many more games from that era deserve the treatment more like, say, oh I dunno, Phantasy Star?! Or Shining Force. Or Shadow Dancer. Or...or...

Altered Beast was crap then and it's crap now.

Altered Beast was one of the 3D Classics I skipped. Although admittedly, had they ported the arcade version rather than the Genesis one I probably would have bought it. I wouldn't have been able to say no to a System 16 game.

Espiox

My guess is that they wanted to go with the one that has Sonic. I know that sounds lame, but if it's true I guess I can't blame them. Just going by the number of ratings, it seems the Sonic games sold better than the others, if I recall correctly. Fingers are crossed we eventually get Vol 1!

I bet it has less to do with Sonic and more to do with all the games in the first collection being on the eShop already. Sonic being on the box probably helps, but the exclusive content gets fans of the 3D Classics to double-dip.

It's more "important" than it is "good." It was one of their marquee arcade games as well as the pack-in title for the Genesis. It's a shitheap, no doubt, but it has a relevance to SEGA that makes its place in the collection understandable.

When i heard there was going to be a retail release for Sega Classics in America is was very pleased...

Just to get dissapointed by the catalogue of games.

The Japanase one seemed to have a better selection, for my tastes that is XD

When i heard there was going to be a retail release for Sega Classics in America is was very pleased...

Just to get dissapointed by the catalogue of games.

The Japanase one seemed to have a better selection, for my tastes that is XD

Yeah, it's too bad that the 3DS isn't region free. Japan have always got the good stuff over everywhere else since the NES/Famicon days.

IrishNinja

Yep, these. And (hopefully) if M2 want to finish off the retail-exclusive Master System 3D line-up they've still got Blade Eagle 3D, Zaxxon 3D, Poseidon Wars 3D and Missile Defense 3D to go.

not sure how well Missile would work (never played Blade or Poseidon) but i'd be on Zasxon 3D day-1!

Indeed! I think they released a binder for the Sega Ages PS2 games, didn't they?

wait, did they? I've got to see that!!

oneida post if you're okay

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Still no word on EU release? I'm gonna be pissed! The jpn one is one of the few releases which doesn't work with regionfour (hb regionfree app for 3DS) so importing is out of the question

Hey guys, Sam Mullen here, NA Producer for the SEGA 3D Classics Series. As always, thanks so much for your support so far.

Just wanted to pop in and answer one question.

Cool. They should rename Maze Walker to its US/EU title of Maze Hunter 3D though. =]

Right. So as it was explained to me, it turns out that the Japanese ROM and the Overseas ROM for this title have different data layouts. So all M2's analysis into getting the JP ver to work would be completely thrown out the window, and they'd need to start over from scratch for the English version. A lot of work just to make it so that title screen said Maze Hunter 3-D (which is literally the only difference as far as I'm aware).

So instead, we decided to go 'full Japanese' and just leave it as is. I really hope you guys don't mind... m(_ _)m If it's a deal breaker, I take full responsibility.

Anyway, that's all. Thanks for being fans, and I'll see you guys around!

Thoraxes

Hey guys, Sam Mullen here, NA Producer for the SEGA 3D Classics Series. As always, thanks so much for your support so far.

Right. So as it was explained to me, it turns out that the Japanese ROM and the Overseas ROM for this title have different data layouts. So all M2's analysis into getting the JP ver to work would be completely thrown out the window, and they'd need to start over from scratch for the English version. A lot of work just to make it so that title screen said Maze Hunter 3-D (which is literally the only difference as far as I'm aware).

So instead, we decided to go 'full Japanese' and just leave it as is. I really hope you guys don't mind... m(_ _)m If it's a deal breaker, I take full responsibility.

Sounds good, and thanks! Hope to see the rest of the games get released in a compilation like this as long as this one does well! I ended up waiting for something like this to come out, so i'm really happy to see it happen!

Blues1990

Thank you for clarifying this. It's honestly not a deal breaker for me, as I'm going to pick up this bad boy when it launches later this year. I do hope the 1st Volume will be brought over, however.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Will the secret hidden Master System version of Fantasy Zone be playable?
Or will we have to wait until the first collection is localized so that the save data from it unlocks it? ::hint hint::

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Please bring over Japanese Vol 1! :D

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I can deal with the untouched JP release -- just glad we're getting it released in the States, on a cart.

Though I would echo the guy above me who asked for Vol. 1 to come to the US, as well.

So I was never a big Sega person and I haven't played any of these games besides a small amount of Sonic...no really! I've played Kirby's Avalanche so I suppose that counts as Puyo Puyo 1...

But I don't own many pick up and play games for my 3DS as an RPG fiend, and whenever I read the interviews for these 3D classics it was clear that a lot of love and effort went into them that you don't see in a lot of compilations, so I was always tempted to try one or two. I'm thinking that I'll just get this pack and see how I like it. It'll be a new experience, but that's part of the fun, especially at a 30 dollar price tag.

AmyS

he Galaxy Force II port is one of the best-looking versions of the game you can play.

Absolutely true.

3DS Galaxy Force II is visually superior to the Mega Drive / Genesis, FM Towns and even the Saturn version. It's equal to the PS2 port as far as having, not just arcade perfect graphics, but an arcade perfect framerate as well.
Plus the graphical enhancements of Neo Classic Mode. The only other ways to play arcade perfect Galay Force II at home is the import PS2 release, or arcade emulators (or PCSX2 emulation which works well).

For those of you that don't have the 3DS ver. yet but thought about getting it, I'll leave this...It's kind of ironic!

From the all-Sega publication, MEGA PLAY (by the EGM people) Galaxy Force II "preview" for MD/Genesis, in their Jan/Feb 1991 issue:

NIK8FfJ.jpg

See what I did there? :p

Looking forward to picking this up physically and digitally. Just wish they released the additional titles as separate digital downloads so my 3D Classics folder wouldn't have redundancy. Also, really would love some SEGA badges in Badge Arcade.

AmyS

I don't understand why this couldn't be coming out in Feb or even March. Why late April?

Ah well, at least it's coming.

gunstarhero

Because it's a good arcade brawler and was really popular back in it's day. And because you can transform into a bear. A crazy fucking BEAR.

The only thing that bums me out is this is another port of the Genesis version, and not the superior arcade version.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That Rabbit's a deep cut. He was in some early Master System manuals I think?

Yeah, he showed up in SG-1000/3000 manuals and on their official newsletter and so on.

He's also featured in the compilation--he gives tips and hints on the loading screens.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
IT'S THE RABBIT FROM THE SEGA HARD GIRLS SHOW!!

That'd be much cooler if I already didn't own most of the games I already wanted via eShop. Least my friend might find it neat since he doesn't have internet & this collection might be up his alley.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's interesting that the flame to the right of Sonic is kind of shaped like the number 2, so as to unofficially call this the second game in the collection.

Sega announced there'll be a set of decal stickers included with all first-print copies of the collection:
Ca3624sUUAAdNR8.jpg:large

Nice bonus

It's interesting that the flame to the right of Sonic is kind of shaped like the number 2, so as to unofficially call this the second game in the collection.

Yeah, they didn't change the artwork from the JP version.

IT'S THE RABBIT FROM THE SEGA HARD GIRLS SHOW!!
That's actually Sega's first mascot.
http://segaretro.org/Professor_Asobin

I might just buy 2 copies so I can tear one up and use the stickers. I'll keep the other sealed.

Yes, I'm crazy.
I already have 2 copies lol. The JP Vol1+2 2-pack with cardboard sleeve and the standalone release.
NA ver will be my 3rd.

Robin64

Oh I like that they made a logo for the GigaDrive! That's a nice little touch for the biggest of Sega 3D Classics fans.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I went and pre-ordered this an shortly after find out it'll have stickers?! That's a nice lil extra!

That's what I wonder too. So many more games from that era deserve the treatment more like, say, oh I dunno, Phantasy Star?! Or Shining Force. Or Shadow Dancer. Or...or...

Altered Beast is Segac's Urban Champion.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So I guess if an EU release was in the cards it would've been announced by now... -__-

So pissed. Not getting Vol.1 was bad enough already, not getting Vol.2 when even a NA release's coming is even worse

epmode

Are the new games going to be released individually on the eshop? I already bought everything else in the collection so I don't want to pay full price.

Top Bottom