• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think either Sony or Nintendo would've been about equally bad in different ways

Yup. The tl;dr version here is that a Nintendo purchase would've killed Persona, while a Sony purchase would've basically gutted their handheld/small-title operation.

Something something, Konami, something something Hudson.

I definitely can't think of anything that's different about these two scenarios.

Scum

More likely SEGA USA turns into ATLUS. Kill the localization teams at SEGA, hand all of SEGA's Japanese titles other than big ones like Sonic over to Atlus to handle. Makes way more sense. SEGA has a shit reputation in the western release of Japanese games, as you can see from this thread. Ridding themselves of that trouble and handing the keys over to one of the most well regarded brands around makes so much sense. Also, Atlus knows how to make money on small games. That skill is super valuable.

Ah. I see.

Levito

Banned
iRKZsqm.gif

sibarraz

Banned
I think that sega sammy will not change atlus (japan or usa) since they know that the name of the company has a strong brand recognition from his fanbase.

It will be like activision and blizzard, both companies had the same owner,yet they still worked as separate entities

sörine;82428905 said:
It hasn't been all roses, Sega shut down Secret Level, Sega Racing Studio and Creative Assembly's Australian studio. The studios they tend to leave alone seem to be the ones who make PC or smartphone games.

They closes those studios because they weren't succesfull

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well, I dont see how this could be a good thing for Atlus except maybe better marketing for their games.

Sega has left some of its acquisitions alone, like Creative Assembly, so hopefull this will be one of those cases.

Still though, scary.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, name a bad thing SEGA's done that would be equitable to the ATLUS side. I'm a huge Yakuza fan, but even I'll admit that those games are huge localization efforts. The work that needs to be put into those games far exceeds all but the biggest ATLUS titles. Heck, even the Persona series is probably an easier job. Valkyira Chronicles 3? Again, pretty damn large game and on a dead platform. It's almost a guarantee 2 lost them money. PSO2? An MMO is the BIGGEST of localization efforts. Add on top of that the fact most of the US fans that would play it are already playing and paying via the english patch.

ATLUS games make money, in the US as well. Even their niche titles, like the EO games, do quite well for the size of the franchise. As long as that doesn't change, things are going to be just fine.

I don't know anything about Yakuza but Valkyria Chronicles 3 would probably not be any bigger than the titles Atlus has recently localized and would have been far from the last PSP game released in America.

And if the localized MMO Tera has been so successful, I don't see how PSO2 wouldn't have been.

Biker19

Banned
SEGA has released 8 niche jrpg titles in the last 3 years, none of them was released in the West.

[PSP] 7th Dragon 2020-II (SEGA) {2013-04-18}
[PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package (SEGA) {2013-02-28}
[PSP] Shining Ark (SEGA) {2013-02-28}
[PSP] Shining Blade (SEGA) {2012-03-15}
[PSP] 7th Dragon 2020 (SEGA) {2011-11-23}
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity (SEGA) {2011-02-24}
[PSP] Valkyria Chronicles III (SEGA) {2011-01-27}
[PSP] Shining Hearts (SEGA) {2010-12-16}

Wow. Thank goodness that both PSP & PS Vita are region free like PS3 & PS4 are, because we would've really been screwed otherwise.

OnFire331

Mostly. If I was Japanese I wouldn't worry at all, but Atlus USA is the new variable in these SEGA buyouts. The best case scenario is something akin to Hudson that actually works in the long term due to Atlus being generally more successful and viable. Worst case scenario may in fact not even be Sega making them mobile developers, but letting Atlus Japan be left alone and run like they are, but to destroy Atlus USA and fail to localize all but the biggest Atlus games. Then not license them period so we can't even get the smaller ones through companies like XSEED, Aksys, or a hypothetical new company formed from Atlus USA staff. At least when stuck to mobile there'd be a good chance of Atlus staff leaving and going to other companies or forming new ones, who'd then have fresh chances for their games to be localized.

We'll have to wait and see, Sega-Sammy might view Atlus USA as a viable niche localization arm for their games, something that they sorely lack. I'll remain cautiously optimistic about these news until we have more info.

After what SEGA did to their own localization teams, I'm definitely worried about Atlus USA.
Well, I dont see how this could be a good thing for Atlus except maybe better marketing for their games.

Sega has left some of its acquisitions alone, like Creative Assembly, so hopefull this will be one of those cases.

Still though, scary.
In the U.S.?
ikip6o9HxcKqQ.gif

yami4ct

I don't know anything about Yakuza but Valkyria Chronicles 3 would probably not be any bigger than the titles Atlus has recently localized and would have been far from the last PSP game released in America.

And if the localized MMO Tera has been so successful, I don't see how PSO2 wouldn't have been.

Don't have the numbers in front of me, but fairly sure VCII sold abysmal amounts, even compared to small games like Atlus does. Now, that doesn't mean a company like Atlus couldn't have found success with 3, but I can easily see why Sega decided against that bet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, the most niche game Sega released here was probably Infinite Space. And I have to wonder if that was part of their Platinum Games contract or something, because it doesn't look like something that they would have wanted to try to sell here otherwise.

I find it funny how so many people in here are freaking out about Sega Sammy making Atlus work on mobile games when Index pushed the mobile whoring out of Atlus IPs pretty hard.

yami4ct

I find it funny how so many people in here are freaking out about Sega Sammy making Atlus work on mobile games when Index pushed the mobile whoring out of Atlus IPs pretty hard.

Most american fans have never seen any of ATLUS's mobile work. Most of it was made for dumb feature phones in Japan. At least the Sega mobile crap might be half-competent iOS and Android stuff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm being sarcastic they've been mind bogglingly inactive on 3DS for anything but Sonic, some music games, and Puyo. :p

Well, at the very least they're not flat-out ignoring it :p

Is that a NO due to you know some facts or NO due to "NO I DON'T WANT PERSONA ON 3DS!"? Hahaha.

And it's not necessarily Persona 5, but maybe Persona-related spin-off?

I believe Sony has some investment in the Persona series.

Huh, really, in what way?

Is that investment completely blocks anything and everything titled 'persona' to appear on anything outside Sony platforms? Even something like spin-offs?

SparkTR

Hopefully they take some notes from XSEED and start putting some of their already localised games on Steam. Notably the Etrian Odyssey games, which can appeal to the same market that bought 600k copies of Legend of Grimrock.

Bruno MB

No surprise when all except one are PSP games, and then a Vita game.

7th Dragon, Shining Force Feather or Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 2: Demon Castle of the Desert which were released on NDS never left Japan either.

They hardly ever localize titles with little appeal outside Japan, especially if they are on handheld consoles.

Well, at the very least they're not flat-out ignoring it :p

Is that a NO due to you know some facts or NO due to "NO I DON'T WANT PERSONA ON 3DS!"? Hahaha.

And it's not necessarily Persona 5, but maybe Persona-related spin-off?

Huh, really, in what way?

Is that investment completely blocks anything and everything titled 'persona' to appear on anything outside Sony platforms? Even something like spin-offs?

I would buy persona on any platform it's on, even ios.

PSO2, never for...forgotten already.

The PS4 version is probably the reason why that game hasn't came over yet

Kyon

Banned
But wait... I own all those JP only games they released... Guess this doesn't affect me.

WELP RIP localize waiting peeps.

qq more

...Judging by these reactions I'm going to assume a lot of you have forgotten about what Konami has done to Hudson.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
In my dreams we'd get an Atlus developed Phantasy Star 5, and a Persona/Miku crossover...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why couldn't it be Nintendo? :(
SEGA's in a financial slump right now, Could they afford to budget a game like Persona 5?

You mean the Nintendo that had to be forced into releasing the already translated Xenoblade, and then still under-released it to the point that the game almost instantly started selling for well above retail price on the secondary markets.

Really, that Nintendo?

Hmmm.Hm...... Was really hoping Nintendo had bought then. But this seems...ok I guess. God forbid they ever make fucking telephone games though like Square seems to be keen on *shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom